NBC's The Blacklist Gets Full-Season Pick-Up

The Blacklist Full Season OrderJames Spader & Co. will have plenty of time to keep chipping away at The Blacklist, now that NBC has granted the freshman drama a full-season order of 22 episodes.

Across its first two airings, The Blacklist has averaged 12 million total viewers and a 3.6 demo rating. Its series premiere added 4.4 mil via Live+3 DVR playback, the largest such gain for any broadcast network telecast.

VIDEO | The Blacklist Sneak Peek: Will Red Finally Reveal Why He Chose Elizabeth?

“The many layers of Red Reddington and his mysterious reasons for getting into bed with the FBI seem to be fascinating to fans of this show,” says NBC Entertainment boss Jennifer Salke. “With great talent like James Spader and Megan Boone on board, as well our stellar executive producers and the whole cast and crew, we believe this outstanding series will continue to make NBC a big destination on Monday nights.”

In other new show news, earlier this week Fox renewed Sleepy Hollow for Season 2, ABC cancelled Lucky 7 and Fox ordered additional scripts for Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

1. stevie says:

.. and RIGHTFULLY so!
    this show is awesome.

2. Bobbi says:

Yay! Great news!

3. Elyse says:

awesome news!!!!!!!! best new fall show so far hands down!

4. southernbelleg says:

Definitely great news! I’m hoping that this means the hair and makeup for the lead actress will improve significantly. Her wig is awful! James Spader FTW however. He definitely carries the show.

• sina says:

Not only the hair and makeup but the wooden acting is not working. Everyone else is great but she’s so wooden. She has no emotion and her eyes are just so devoid of life. I keep waiting for her boss to bust out singing Is there a heart in the house

• Agreed she is very stoic and stiff. I can’t figure out if that is the way LIz is supposed to be or if it is the actress herself. I have a feeling that is how she is supposed to be acting b/c of how they dress her and make her up (plus that horrible wig). It’s like they are trying to play down her looks and make her just another FBI drone (i.e nothing special so why is Reddington only talking to her). Anyway, I do love the show and can get past the awful wig :o)

• Alexandra says:

You are so right girl! The lead actress is just terrible. There has to be a reason she was cast, we are not aware of. I sense a monstrous conspiracy. Somebody needs to get to the bottom of it. Keep it real.

• SAM says:

So true. Her acting is so bad that it’s distracting.

• THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one that was irked by her hair (wig). I keep asking myself why is she even wearing a wig? Is there a reason for it b/c it is not a good one at all. I love James Spader on this and he’s looking the best in a lot of years. He was not looking very good for a while. I really do hope they do something about Liz’s hair/make up. I get that she is supposed to be one of the many FBI agents (blend into the crowd) but come on wardrobe/makeup has to get her a better wig.

5. David4 says:

They need to before Spader goes and makes Avengers 2.

• Badpenny says:

He’s doing Ultron, which is going to be all CGI. James’ work on Avengers is just voice work, and he can do that on the weekends or when shooting on Avengers is finished if he wants. For example, James Earl Jones didn’t do Darth Vader until well after production was done and the film was being edited.

• David4 says:

I guess you didn’t read the article here where even Spader brings up that they can get in the way of each other.

Spader isn’t going to work 5 days a week in LA (Or where ever Blacklist is filmed.) and then fly to England for 7-8 hours to film or Avengers 2. We don’t if he’s just doing the voice or if he will put on a green suit.

6. kiks says:

Love this show…So happy for James Spader…Good job NBC…

7. sabrina says:

Great news. I really like this show.

8. sara says:

Yaaaaay!

9. The Beach says:

Not many actors can play a brilliant, pompous, entitled and yet hilarious ass as delightfully as James Spader.

• tnsmoke says:

You nailed it! And what I like about him is that he always preferred to play these types of characters even way back when his leading man looks could of make him the next Robert Redford. He never was attracted to nice guy roles, lucky us!

10. Blacklist is one of my two favorite new shows. It is good to see something that is a truly amazing show is getting support from NBC. For once something I am interesting in watching is not going to yanked halfway through getting into it. Bravo to NBC to see what a gem they have in Blacklist. Let’s hope my other new favorite Sleepy Hollow receives the same treatment from FOX. Jk

• JLK says:

Does the jk after the Sleepy Hollow reflect the fact that you know it’s already been renewed? Or is that some kind of signature. If it’s the latter, then take a look at the last sentence of the article again. :)

• tnsmoke says:

I give NBC credit for sticking with Parenthood all these years, too, and Parks and Recreation, both shows struggle for viewers but are still around.

• Yes! Parenthood struggled but NBC did stay with them. Other shows I have invested time in vanished way too often. Flash Forward is just one example. But I am returning to watching TV again & found Blacklist. Was won over immediately. Brilliant writing, brilliant acting & storylines. P & R like for its quirkiness.

• lll says:

Well, it’s getting picked up for a second season, so Fox believes in it.

11. Joey says:

So happy about this news! the first two episodes was so good. I can’t wait to see the next new episode on monday.

12. Jace says:

Excellent news, i’ve loved the first two episodes. James Spader is always awesome (my Boston Legal DVD’s were given a run out in the lead up to this). Harry Lennix should probably be given a bit more to do considering he’s the only other known actor on the show, but apart from that minor complaint, im delighted… now i just have to hope Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D doesn’t have another ratings freefall and gets the same order.

13. Kris says:

I’m so glad to hear this. I love James Spader & I’ve missed him.

14. Carolyn Stern says:

nbc finally got something right. they have a very good thing here. amazing show.

15. Wow finally NBC does something right! WOO HOO This is a fantastic show and can’t wait to watch it each week. I’m dying to find out the connection between Reddington and Liz. I don’t believe he’s her real dad b/c that would be way too obvious. I have a feeling that is what they are going to try to make us believe and then POW there will be some crazy twist. So far I love this show. Definitely a must watch

16. Mzglorybe says:

Great news… Our favorite newbie!

17. Gwen says:

I hope to see more of Parminder Nagra’s CIA agent. I’ve missed her on television. This show is really enjoyable because of all the twistiness!

18. cjeffery7 says:

and yet i find myself more attracted to a slimmer 13-15 episode run for this kind of show. not that i’m not happy The Blacklist will go on, but i’m slowly becoming a convert to the shorter season model.

• David4 says:

Join the dark side….

• May says:

It usually works best. Less filler episodes and more time for the writers to come up with actual ideas other than subpar storylines just for the sake of more advertisement money. HBO is the perfect role model for this. Their shows have fewer episodes, and the quality of each episode is remarkable.

19. Daisy says:

Love this show, glad to have a full season to enjoy it!

20. Ava says:

Awesome!!! The Blacklist is the best new show this season! Red was made for James Spader!

21. Bonnie says:

I’m sorry that Lucky 7 was cancelled without it being given a chance. I was really starting to enjoy getting into the characters’ stories.
    + Blacklist is a “must see”.

22. mangochic says:

I really like it so I’m happy for the full season pick-up.

23. snappy says:

James Spader is brilliant – this character is also brilliant, flawed, dastardly, with a bity of humanity. A perfect mix for Spader who revels in such character analysis.

24. 420brain says:

I watched the pilot and second episode with excitement and high expectations and I have to say….. I’m honestly shocked that it’s getting this kind of reception. The plot lines are obvious, and the FBI people constantly look like idiots…. Do the writers think the viewers are this obtuse? For example, someone made a comment that Red abandoned his family. Now we keep hearing that Liz’s parents are a mystery. Red only wants to talk to her, and knows all about her past. Are we not supposed to connect these dots? Everyone in this show is super vanilla, with the only standout being James Spader. I was glad, however, to see some new cast members introduced in the 2nd episode. Maybe they’ll take away from everything else being so plain. Unfortunately, I think this will become another NBC procedural, without the standout writing and cast that really makes a show memorable.

25. TJ says:

The lead actress is awful. Just bad all around–not charismatic, no facial expressions, nothing attractive about her. She’s a dud. How sad to blow an otherwise pretty good series. James Spader must bite his tongue when he goes to work She is awful, all around.

26. windy4292 says:

love love love James Spader, like someone already said no one does self centred, egotistical, subtle nuanced menacing quite like him..now if there was a way to have him have a cigar and a glass of scotch at the end of each episode with Denny Crane I would love it!!!…seriously though great show because of him..he takes what the writers give him to a whole new level..

27. MORDY says:

EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW THAT LIZ REAL FATHER IS RED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. WE says:

LIZ FATHER IS RED !!!!!!!!!! JUST THINK ABOUT IT

29. KOL says:

WOW RED IS LZ REAL FATHER – IT MAKES A MILLION OF SENSE !!!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

30. RT says:

yes best show ever
    love Blacklist

31. RT says:

Love Blacklist James Spader is awesome glad is renewed.

32. Victoria Kinney says:

Love James Spader. The Blacklist really leaves you “wanting more”. Haven’t gotten into a series like this since ER started 20 years ago. Love it!!

33. Echo says:

Love the blacklist but y did they cancel sleepholow I loved that’s show too