ABC Cancels Lucky 7 After Only 2 Episodes, Scandal Encores to Fill Tuesday Void

Get More: Cancellations

Lucky 7 Cancelled ABCABC’s Lucky 7 has earned the unlucky distinction of being the first cancellation of the 2013-2014 TV season.

Effective immediately, the network is pulling the lottery-themed drama off the air. Scandal encores will take over its Tuesday-at-10 pm timeslot beginning next week.

PHOTOS | Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Images on 45 Returning Favorites

In its second outing this week, the show lost 50 percent of its paltry opening-week audience, sinking to a (what are the odds?!) .7 demo rating.

According to sources, production on the series will be shut down as early as next week.

Thoughts? Did you win your office pool? Were you one of the few people watching (and enjoying) the show?

Tags: ,

Comments (115)

• That,s a shocker.

Comment by Babar – October 4, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really looked forward to watching this show….none of this seasons new shows interested me….but this one held my interest. I’m sick of cops and robber.s…doctors and hospitals…reality housewives…etc. This one was different…soooo sad. Scandal took it’s place…I’ll give it a try tonite…

Comment by Carol Whelan Frost – October 15, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved this show. I
        recorded it and didn’t get a chance to watch it until last night. Watched both episodes and want more!!! Why cancel it – It’s great, better than I expected from the name of the show.

Comment by Karen – October 20, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I saw the premise to the show, I immediately thought “Didn’t NBC do this 5 or 6 years ago?” If Windfall didn’t make it past 13 episodes, what made anyone think this would do any better?

Comment by dq18 – October 4, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad to see I wasn’t the only one that thought – why are they recycling the concept from an unsuccessful show?

Comment by Tammi Townsley – October 4, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lottery drama has proven successful internationally since WINDFALL; LUCK 7 is actually based on a U.K. series, THE SYNDICATE, that is very successful, and there is a successful Australian series called “WINNERS & LOSERS that also deals with lottery winners.

Anyway, despite the similar log-lines, LUCKY 7 has only the barest similarity to WINDFALL in practice. The more diverse cast and more working-class characters had the potential, at least, to make L7 a far more compelling drama then WINDFALL ever was.

Comment by steve o (@ravenwing263) – October 4, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Winners & Losers, was centered on 3 old high school friends (and a 4th that was let in on the winnings) buying a ticket & winning the lottery. It was a completely different program than Lucky 7.

Comment by Clash Jam – October 4, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Syndicate is fantastic! Lucky 7 was a disappointment.

Comment by Tazzy – October 4, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree the UK’s “The Syndicate” which this was based was so much better , the pacing of the show ,everything was better.

Comment by Marsha Rose (@marsha_rose) – October 4, 2013 08:39 PM PDT
        • agree..

Comment by Carol Whelan Frost – October 15, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There actually was a show back in the 80s that did the theme of people winning the lottery, so the idea goes back much farther than Windfall. It makes me sad I know these things. I’ve been watching way too much television for a very long time.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 8, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This wasn’t original. Remember Windfall? Different take, not it didn’t grab you.

Comment by tvfan – October 4, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perhaps Body of Proof could have been given another chance?? :)

Comment by Kim R – October 4, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was so much wrong with Body of Proof there was no saving it. They gave it plenty of revision time.

Comment by rowan77 – October 4, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ridiculous comment seeing 10 million people watched it

Comment by Boiler – October 4, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It had a1.2 rating 3 share in the demo and only 7m total watched it at the end.

Also, that didn’t fix the writing or the lack of chemistry in the cast.

Comment by rowan77 – October 4, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I really wanted to like BOP but it was just so boring I couldn’t stand it.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 4, 2013 01:09 PM PDT
          • Yea after they cancelled it, Wrstlgirl sorry you found it boring but people who liked it don’t care

Comment by Boiler – October 4, 2013 01:17 PM PDT
          • Couldn’t watch it because found DD the most obnoxious woman on tv – hated her on Desperate Housewives, tried two episodes of BoP but just hated the sound of her voice, intonation when speaking, gestures, face…everything!

Comment by Kimmie – October 4, 2013 01:18 PM PDT
          • Boiler – you sound awfully bitter. Apparently you do care or you wouldn’t have bothered to respond with your rude comment. It’s just television, no reason to take it so personally. Everything will be okay.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 4, 2013 01:58 PM PDT
          • My comment was not particularly rude. Now Kimmie on the other hand…. I am a little bitter as I fall into the age category where networks don’t care what we watch. BoP was one of ABC’s most watched dramas but because it skewed older it got canceled. Also I am not really one to pick on other scripted shows as I do know people like them.

Comment by Boiler – October 4, 2013 03:29 PM PDT
          • It also got cancelled because ABC was not happy with the creative direction of the show either. They don’t cancel shows with good ratings. Not since the 1970s. They were not happy with the show, either was the audience. There are shows that skew to the older crowd that are still on the air – NCIS, Blue Bloods, The Good Wife… What do these shows have in common besides the network? They are smart, well written dramas and each respective cast has real chemistry.

Look, I love Jon Tenney and wished that King & Maxell would have worked out, but the writing was really terrible and the Rebecca Romijn had zero chemistry with Tenney. She was miscast as well. I’ve seen her in other things and liked here – but here was was not good. The show was cancelled because of all these things. It happens. Move on.

Comment by rowan77 – October 4, 2013 07:07 PM PDT
    • It got 3 seasons, how much more of a chance did you want it to get?

Comment by c0rinne – October 5, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!!!

Comment by Frank – October 9, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should also scrap the crap before it too. They should just move new episodes of scandal there and rebuild the night, if they don’t fix something they’re going to lose shield too

Comment by Tom – October 4, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awwwww, toooooo bad. I was actually interested in how the robbery thing would be resolved. To end on the wife like that ain’t right…

Comment by Barbara Cheryl Pitts Shaidnagle – October 4, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just watch the British version (The Syndicate). It is much better. And it doesn’t drag on forever.

Comment by Tazzy – October 4, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • US audiences aren’t smart enough to appreciate British shows, i.e., Lost on Mars.

Comment by Lynne Kraft Yourick – October 5, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And Lynne Kraft Yourick isn’t smart enough to not put every person in America in a box.

Comment by Mel – October 6, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Chill. I was referring to US audiences as a whole, as far as viewing numbers and the coveted demographic go, i.e., the basis for canceling a show (the topic of this thread). They don’t seem to watch British shows that are true to the original version in sufficient numbers. I was commenting on the suggestion to watch the British version which Tazzy said, not surprisingly, is much better. I didn’t get personal and didn’t put every person in America in a box and certainly not the same box. Sometimes there just aren’t enough Americans in the smart box as is evidenced by much of our network programming. I didn’t watch Lucky Seven because the trailer, which presumably contained the best of the show, did nothing for me.

Comment by Lynne Kraft Yourick – October 6, 2013 12:25 PM PDT
        • Assuming you mean “Life on Mars,” and I’m American, and it was fantastic.

Comment by Rachel Lynne – October 17, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • My bad @Rachel Lynne, Life on Mars. It was fantastic…both the British AND U.S. productions.

Comment by Lynne Kraft Yourick – October 21, 2013 07:03 AM PDT
    • I actually liked it, and yes, it was getting more interesting. IT NEEDED TIME. The DRIBBLE on Network TV today isn’t worth watching. Thank goodness for cable!!

Comment by Dee – October 14, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Spoiler Alert just this morning and you all called it!

Comment by Lysh – October 4, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ouch. So much for my prediction of Dads being the first to go (hopefully it’ll be the second, so Brenda Song can reappear on New Girl and/or Scandal, and Raising Hope goes back to Tuesdays).

Comment by Steve F. – October 4, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its probably not going to happen. The ratings aren’t brutal, considering the comp on Tuesdays during the 8 hour.

Plus, Fox told Seth McFarlane to pound sand when he took them Ted. Which has become a license to print money. Given how much they want to get back in his good graces (after canceling The Cleveland show), they will give Dads a full season. The title is unfortunate, because the Dads are really the only truly awful part of the show. As a workplace comedy it has real potential.

Comment by Patrick – October 4, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t watch all the premieres, but of what I have seen, Super Fun Night has to be next…it was a train wreck

Comment by RUCookie – October 4, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Suoer Fun Night had pretty good ratings for the premiere, so that’s not likely.

Comment by Babar – October 4, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was….I can’t decide what I thought of it. I think with retooling it could be better. I wish Rebel wasn’t trying to do an American accent on the show. For some reason she is much funnier in her native accent.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 8, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I guess I can just delete ep 2 off my DVR, no bother watching it. I didn’t hate the pilot. Oh well.

Comment by Melanie – October 4, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has body of proof been cancelled? dang…

Comment by Barbara Cheryl Pitts Shaidnagle – October 4, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m watching it right now on hulu, kind of enjoying it but oh well wish we could see the rest of the episodes they finished.

Comment by jfur – October 4, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. It wasn’t great, but it had potential if only because its working class vibe was so unusual in a drama. In the first two episodes it managed to establish plot lines/mysteries for most of the characters and I hope they burn off other episodes at some point.

Comment by schmed – October 4, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t think it was horrible, but this does not really surprise me. I was mostly watching this because of Matt Long, so I hope he finds a new show soon.

Comment by Catherine – October 4, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • same here, not horrible but not very good either. Here’s hoping Matt Long gets another show to star on.
      But I am kind of bummed, I would like to know at least how they were planning to resolve the whole robbing thing…

Comment by Jules – October 4, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Daaaaaang. That was quick.

Comment by Zoe – October 4, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What can I say? I kind of liked it. There aren’t many new dramas that aren’t crime/fantasy related. I don’t remember ever hearing of Windfall, however.

Comment by Sarah – October 4, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “I don’t remember ever hearing of Windfall, however.”

Precisely ;)

Comment by Dizzle – October 4, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO SAD! I REALLY ENJOYED THE CHARACTERS! =(

Comment by TVSHOWLOVER – October 4, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t CAMP was the first cancellation?

Comment by karen – October 4, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was a summer show, doesn’t count.

Comment by Babar – October 4, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well maybe ABC should have kept Body of Proof on the air for another season. They get what they deserve!!

Comment by aaron – October 4, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once I heard about the low ratings for the premier of Lucky 7, I just deleted it from the DVR, I am still holding off on even bothering with Betrayal until I hear anything concrete, but I’m pretty sure that may be one of the next ones to go along with that awful Dads and We are Men. I kinda like Mom due to the actresses involved, so I hope that sticks around a while.

Comment by Mel – October 4, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never had this reaction to a show before, but everyone on the show had a grating voice. It was very unpleasant to watch. I maybe wanted to like it, but I couldn’t.

Comment by Amanda From Michigan – October 4, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched 10 minutes of this show and that’s exactly why I turned it off. Most annoying and unlikeable “likeable” characters ever.

Comment by Aeol – October 4, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tuned in for the premiere episode and turned it off after 12 minutes. I figured it would be the first to go. Guess it’s my lucky day.

Comment by Paige – October 4, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They lost me 30 minutes into the first episode. I found it boring.

Comment by Bruce Gerencser – October 4, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sucks to suck ABC. That’s what they get for canceling Happy Endings. I hope all their other crap new shows burn out just as quickly, that’ll teach them to cancel a gem like Happy Endings.

Comment by JJ – October 4, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t know that Happing Endings was cancelled & am very disappointed. It was one of the funniest shows around. Smarten up ABC!

Comment by Lynn – October 6, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, surely ABC will get better ratings even repeating Scandal episodes:)

Comment by Mary – October 4, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointed

Comment by Robyn – October 4, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It only beat Ironside to the dust bin because it started a week ahead.

Comment by HAP – October 4, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish that ABC would repeats of this season would be fair but funny.

Comment by Joe Petitjean – October 4, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If my memory serves me right someone here at tv line predicted that Betrayal would be the first cancellation of the fall season. Lucky 7 wasn’t great but it wasn’t horrible either. It had promise.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 4, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I enjoyed this show and am sorry that it has been cancelled. There are those saying it’d been done before. Like there’s never been other recycled ideas? This cast was terrific. Again, am NOT happy this show has been cancelled. However, the competition was fierce being against Perswon of Interest and Chicago Fire. ABC should have moved it to another time slot.

Comment by Georgia – October 4, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Im glad I’m not alone, I enjoyed it too. It’s so disappointing that a show gets 2 airings and it’s off. No time to get an audience. So many plots to unfold…

Comment by Karen – October 9, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watched the first episode & thought to myself that it wasn’t going to make it. I do agree with the person who said “Body of Proof” should not have been canceled. Dumb people making decisions.

Comment by Kris – October 4, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok who had lucky 7? everybody pay the guy. time for bets on number 2 to fall.

Comment by Alan – October 4, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bye, bye Unlucky 7 ….. bring back Body of Proof on Tuesdays…..BTW, I like Betrayal.

Comment by Barb C – October 4, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Instead of Scandal encores – How about bringing back a great show “Body of Proof!!!!

Comment by Marie – October 4, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Won the bet ! Saw the first episode. It was…ok-ish, but too much characters and not bad enough to just watch the train wreck

Comment by PEL – October 4, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when i watched the trailer way before it premiered,I actually thought it was a comedy now the show wasn’t the greatest but not the worst.

so how many episodes we’re filmed??

Comment by choochoo – October 4, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will give it this, I liked that it gave me a surprising and more interesting back story on the girl that didn’t want to be on camera… I was expecting the much-more-common ‘abusive ex’ type reason for not wanting to be on tv

Comment by DreamRose311 – October 4, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I suffered through the first episode but didn’t watch the second one. This seemed to me like it should be the first to be cancelled. Super fun night and dad’s probably next.

Comment by David – October 4, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC should move Once Upon a Time in Wonderland into Lucky 7′s slot. Thursday at 8 have been the death slot on ABC for the past few years.

Comment by Scott – October 4, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooo I like this. Here’s hoping someone from ABC’s scheduling department sees this…

Comment by DreamRose311 – October 4, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, except they probably want it in an earlier slot so it can be a bit more family oriented… Would it be too crazy to suggest Wonderland at 9 and the two comedies at 10? They do seem like comedies more aimed towards adults anyway…

Comment by DreamRose311 – October 4, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I thought about that after I posted. Wonderland after Shield would probably be better.

Comment by Scott – October 4, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had checked the news this morning, but when I was typing in the address five minutes ago I was 100% sure that Lucky 7 had been cancelled in that amount of time. This was predicted so long ago by so many people. Sad for the fans, but unfortunately for the show, there weren’t many.

Comment by Eric – October 4, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never heard of it.

Comment by Hugo (@BlueHuMac) – October 4, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was disappointed in We Are Men. A waste of talented actors.

Comment by JoyAnne – October 4, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me, too!!! I was fully expecting “We Are Men” to be the first to be cancelled. I was stunned by how horrible it was considering that I tuned in because I absolutely love the amazing guys in it. I still have my fingers crossed, though, that, maybe, maybe, maybe it will get better.

Comment by Misty – October 5, 2013 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang it! This is why I try not to watch new shows! I actually liked it. Wonder what will be next!

Comment by Katrina – October 4, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fingers crossed if Betrayal gets canceled next.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – October 4, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, since it was the only show in history that I truly hated, I’m not surprised at all. The writing was too bad

Comment by Pérola Cardozo – October 4, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • File under “least shocking cancellation of all time”..

Comment by Dark Defender – October 4, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

And karma for letting go of Body of Proof. Which despite what others have said DID have a solid fan base and decent numbers. ABC made a mistake with that cancel…and now is stuck showing re-runs. Poor things. Instead of real ratings and advertising dollars they are chasing their tails.

Comment by rumbleinthekitchen – October 5, 2013 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blast! I promised myself I would not watch the new season, fledgling shows until they reached episode 6. Of course I got tempted, started watching and now they have pulled the plug. Thanks ABC

Comment by Mr Blighty – October 4, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I loved the show. I couldn’t believe that it was cancelled. I wish I could buy the series on DVD.

Comment by Greenlee – October 21, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a HUGE fan of The Syndicate, so I had to try this series out. For the most part, it was actually good! But I was only watching it ,to see how the American take on it was like. So the only thing I am sad about, is the poor cast and crew without a job! Especially Lorraine Bruce, who by the way played the same character in The Syndicate (Denise). She did good, in the American accent department though! (Though I am not a American, so I don’t know how good she did!) Seriously, I was waiting for the confirmation.

Comment by Em J – October 4, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I forgot to mention! Lengthwise it wouldn’t have worked anyway. The Syndicate’s first series (Which is the story, this was based on. as in Season one of Lucky 7, was based on the first series of The Syndicate) was only 5 episodes lasting 1 hour each. It would have dragged so much, in American scheduling! No wonder, people didn’t like it! For people that want a higher quality of this series and want to find out what happened in the end. (It’s really a tearjerker, I was in shock when it came out) It also has better actors and actresses! If you know Matthew Lewis aka Nevile Longbottom in the Harry Potter series, then you should watch The Syndicate!

Comment by Em J – October 4, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t even know that she wasn’t American so I say the accent was pretty good (from an American’s perspective). I’ve already found The Syndicate online so I’m going to check it out.

Comment by Mindy Haltiwanger (@westwingwolf) – October 5, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched it…It was ok…I immediately had a dislike for the styling of the show…like the start and stop shots…The concept though sounded really interesting. Ah well…I’m not too heartbroken and I’m not surprised either. It was just kind of eh for me, and apparently probably many many others…

Comment by Robin – October 4, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now bring Body Of Proof back ABC!!!

Comment by Ela – October 5, 2013 02:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC must be kicking themselves for canceling “Body of Proof “‘, which I really enjoyed watching.

Comment by Pat – October 5, 2013 03:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post