Did You Feel Welcome to the Family?

Welcome to the Family RecapCultures clashed on NBC’s Welcome to the Family on Thursday (8:30/7:30c). By the end, did you feel like a member of the two clans?

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All That’s New for 2013-14

Before you hit the comments with your snappy judgments, a brief refresher: Molly (played by Deception‘s Ella Rae Peck) is sweet but dimwitted — Case in point: She states, “Our society is so patriotic!” but when asked if she means “patriarchal,” replies, “Probably.” — is graduating from high school, much to the delight of her parents, Dan and Caroline (Glee‘s Mike O’Malley and In Plain Sight‘s  Mary McCormack).

But there’s a major wrinkle in this happy, finish-line moment: Molly is preggers, and the father is her secret boyfriend, super-achieving Junior (Awkward‘s Joseph Haro). The Stanford-bound student is a source of pride for parents Miguel and Lisette (Desperate Housewives‘ Ricardo A. Chavira and Six Feet Under‘s Justina Machado).

With their different cultural backgrounds – and some preconceived judgments due to a hostile moment the dads have at Miguel’s gym – the two families aren’t thrilled to learn that they’re about to be forever united by the birth of their grandchild. But Molly and Junior seem to genuinely love each other and plan to marry, so the ‘rents eventually come around.

And here’s a bonus shocker: Molly’s mom might be pregnant, too!

Now it’s time for you to weigh in on Welcome to the Family. Grade the premiere below and then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Didn’t find it funny, but didn’t find it awful either. I really love Mary and Mike though, so I’ll give it a few more episodes to see if it finds its footing

2. Roger says:

Loved it when I caught it early on July Plus. Like the cast and had a lot of laughs. Hope this show does well on NBC.

3. Leondre says:

I really liked it. The pilot was better than the pilots for The Michael J. Fox Show and Sean Saves the World.

4. Zach says:

But cultures DIDN’T clash. People clashed, and that’s the point of the show. Dan and Miguel hate each other, but now they are family. It wasn’t great, but at least it want broad. And I was cracking up at Mike O’Malley’s delivery of “Well, that solves the major issue in the room. Now let’s break out the Scategories”.

5. GTS says:

It was an OK. I like the people who play the pregnant girl’s parents. But, can you really not go on a roller coaster when you are what, a month pregnant?

6. Babygate says:

I wasn’t planning on watching but I did and I was surprised at how good it was. It wasn’t laugh out loud funny with a lot of tricks and stunts but it has a lot of heart and it was endearing. The cast is great and the writing is solid. I really enjoyed it.

7. Yoki says:

Liked it. Was able to see it early.

8. Patrick says:

Teenage girl on show was AWEFUL! She definitely needs to be replaced fit he show has any chance to continue. She basically makes it unwatchable.

9. Jane Doe says:

I really enjoyed it. I laughed out loud a couple of times, and the adult cast is great! I gasped at the twist ending, and I’ll gladly give the show a few more episodes.

10. Ron says:

I gave it a ‘C.’ I didn’t think it was amazing, but I didn’t find it unwatchable either. I didn’t particularly laugh out loud at anything, but I got a few good chuckles here and there. I’m not necessarily attached to this show, but I’ll return because 1) I don’t really have another show to watch at 8:30, so might as well, 2) I’m already watching Parks & Rec, and it’s easier to not have to channel surf, 3) at least it kept my attention enough for me not to hate it — which is more than I can say for other pilots I’ve seen this season, and 4) I really like Mike, Mary, Ricardo, and Justina, so at least the cast is made up of people who I enjoy watching.

11. Saw the premiere a few weeks ago On Demand but I don’t know if Welcome to the Family can be good enough for family friendly entertainment or dysfunctional disappointment. I give my grade of WTTF an C.

12. Amz says:

This counts for a 4-episode-test

13. monieet says:

Good idea, but slow and choppy. The last scene held my interest because i love Mary McCormick, but it is missing that thing. It will be cancelled.

14. missvci says:

I love the dad’s their back-and-forth was great, glad it’s more about different lifestyles clashing than a culture clash. But there is definitely something lacking.

also i’m not sure if it’s because he played an effeminate gay guy on Awkward. (more likely he’s probably gay in real life) but Junior comes off so effeminate. which makes it really hard for me buy his undying love for the blond. Serious lack of chemistry between the teenagers.

• prish says:

Shhh. We’re not supposed to notice. The parents are so much fun, it’s ok. The young brother was a surprise. He could carry the whole show. It would be funny to build up his role, coping with a more middle kid role thrust on him.

• prish says:

Well, I have to update my previous post because the two kids knocked it out of the park in the second episode. They were funny! Both played off the adults with total charm, not missing a beat. I hope this show gets a permanent series pickup.

15. Evan says:

As an alumnai of Arizona State University I was insulted by the cracks about the school. They were unfortunately correct, but I was still insulted.

16. kim says:

Enjoyed it…will watch again. Love both sets of parents

17. kate says:

I’m for any show with Mary McCormack in it.

18. Ang says:

Agree with the others. This wasn’t a show about cultures clashing, individuals were.

I’d like to see a few more episodes of the show to see if it can really make it long term. Hard to tell after only one.

19. arianeb says:

I liked the show better when it was called Reba.