Did The Originals' Second Bite Suck You In?

The Originals Season 1 RecapThe Originals revisited the past during its series premiere on Thursday, but was the retelling of the show’s backdoor pilot (from Elijah’s point of view) and the tease of a major cliffhanger ending enough to make you come back for a third helping?

RELATED | The Originals Season 1 Spoilers — Klaus/Cami, Romance for Elijah

Before you hit the comments with your thoughts, a brief refresher on the episode: The hour folds in quite a bit of footage from the previously aired pilot, which makes some scenes lag. Elijah also is saddled with playing Mr. Exposition for all the new viewers, which is understandable, but it unfortunately slows down the action for those who’ve seen the pilot. At least the recapping is done in an interesting fashion: Elijah uses his mental powers to “show” Hayley their family’s troubled history.

Lest you think it is all a repeat, we do get some fresh flashbacks and introductions, including Hayley and Elijah’s first meeting – “Your brother’s a notorious psycho — who I slept with. Classic me.” – and our first glimpse of the young witch Davina, who’s helping Marcel control the other spellcasters. More new intel: Sophie is linked to Hayley, so there’s no killing the witch without harming the baby.

There also is a fantastically played exchange between Klaus and Elijah, who tries to beat love into his brother.

“I will not let go,” says Elijah as they fight. “I will never let go. Even if I have to spend eternity saving you from your own stubborn, petulant, vile self. If I have to beat you as Father did to remind you of your own humanity, to care about anything.”

So why does he care so damn much about his awful brother? “Because I failed you,” he replies. “Because the first time our father laid a hand on you, I should have struck him dead. Always and forever, family above all.”

It’s that family loyalty that ultimately leads to Elijah’s downfall, as Klaus realizes that his brother is the one weakness Marcel can exploit. With that, he stakes him, announcing, “There is no power in love. Family makes you weak. If I am going to win this war, I have to do it alone.”

Well, crap. Way to dangle the Elijah carrot, Originals. Here’s hoping Rebekah shows up soon to unstake him.

A few more stray observations:

– Being the noble man that he is, Elijah makes a deal with Marcel to get back Jane Ann’s body so she can rest in peace. During the brokering, Marcel remarks that Klaus is treating what he’s done in New Orleans like “it’s a cheap knockoff or one of his dumb paintings.” Guess somebody’s not a fan of snowflakes.

– A little bit of Hayley’s backstory unfolds when Elijah asks her how she feels about being a mother. She doesn’t know, since she never really had a good mom. She was abandoned as a baby, and her adoptive parents kicked her out as soon as she became a wolf.

What did you think of The Originals‘ series premiere? Do you feel like you now need to see Episode 3 to truly know what the show is all about? Hit the comments with your thoughts, and grade the episode via the poll below!

1. ollie says:

I was excited to see more of Elijah but then they go and dagger him wtf. The episode was only ok but it was because i saw the backdoor pilot last year. Will still watch it.

2. ollie says:

And did it seem weird to anybody else that Haley looked confused Klaus was a hybrid?

3. csterrs says:

I like the refresh of the planted pilot. I can’t believe he did that to Elijah!!! I’m hooked already!

4. linda says:

It was a bit boring but ok for the first episode. wil watch 1×02 and then decide if it’s worth it

5. Yasin says:

I think all the TVD fans found it boring because we’ve already seen all of this and we were so happy seeing this during the baackdoor pilot. I think everyone needs to watch Tuesdays episode before passiong there official judgement because I have a feeling the second. Episode is going to be amazing.

6. mac says:

yeah without elijah they lost me, not going to watch. bitter now, how long do we have to wait this year for him waking up ? As long as we had to wait in season 3 ? Hell no, I’m not doing that to myself again.

• FatherOctavian says:

He’s a series regular. Regardless of whether he spends several episodes in a coffin, he’s still going to appear in pretty much every episode.

• crash havoc says:

Agreed they steak e the first episode totally pisses me off an now the show has lost me as a fan

7. If you’re a fan of TVD, The Originals is destined to be that show. Given it an A.

8. whyohwhy says:

Elijah was the only reason I was going to watch the show. Let me know when he is back. I’ll watch again then.

9. Giveelijahbacktousplease26:) says:

Give Elijah back to us he’s my favorite give him back please I’ll still watch but I want him back please and I’m sure others will agree I hope Rebekah undaggers him. But I think since there is romance for Elijah and that he is a series regular I hope he comes back I love him and can’t wait to see more of him and Rebekah I like klaus but don’t like him if he daggers his siblings. He says Elijah is weak well he is wrong he is weak

• Scarlet Ladchenko says:

You cant just judge Klaus for what he has done , Klaus can be a good guy. And yes I agree you cant be daggering your siblings . and yes we all love Elijah . He is my favourite Character to but he can be bad as well as Klaus. So I’m just saying not to be so harsh on Klaus. And just because Elijah was put to sleep for a while doesn’t mean you have to stop watching ”The Originals” ? That’s a bit stupid , don’t you think ?

10. Maryann says:

I saw the backdoor pilot twice, and still loved the season premiere. This show has grabbed me and not let go. And those who are upset about Elijah being staked, I have every faith it is very temporary; He is, after all, the second lead in the show.

11. Michelle says:

Ugh, terribly UNIMPRESSED. And bored. They have yet to give me a reason why Marcel’s not dead. And I still hate Hayley. The best part was Klaus and Elijah’s fight.

• giselle says:

becasue they cant just kill marcel, he has a whole ARMY of vampires cos he is like the ruler of the town. watch vampire diaries season 4 episode 20, it is the back door pilot of the originals – as the originals is a spinoff on tvd. yup, and i agree with u, I HATE HAYLEY. I HATED HER IN TVD AND I THINK SHE NEEDS TO DIE!!!!!

• Keith says:

@MIchelle: Agreed. I haven’t seen a good reason that Klaus simply hasn’t killed Marcel on the spot. Who can stop him?

• VD Original says:

Marcel is not dead because of the witch in his apartment, Deviana (spelling?). She is a) too strong to allow anything bad to happen to him and b) the witches want her themselves. She is the one that can sense when witches are using magic in the court.

12. shuayb says:

Surprise surprise that Klaus did that. I’m so not gonna bother with this. Will just read the recaps.

13. Isabelle says:

I loved it, it was better than I was hoping as a retelling of the original pilot. That scene with Klaus and Elijah and Elijah telling him he will never let go got me emotionally, I want more of that, I want family to stay the base of the show because there’s so many layers to explore within them. I think Klaus didn’t just dagger Elijah because he is a weakness, I think he did it to try and push Elijah farther away so he’ll give up on him finally. I can’t wait to see how Elijah handles this, I’m sure he’ll be back within episode two. Daniel has already confirmed he’s in every episode.

14. Jen says:

Elijah is my main reason for watching. I have no doubt he’ll be on the show going forward and remain a big part of the show. On TVD people died, locked in underwater coffins, etc and they remained on the show so no worries.

Hayley is the weak link for me. Don’t care for the character or the actress.

15. Lala says:

So the shocking ending was the same trick they pulled on TVD a gazillion times: Klaus daggers a sibling? And way too much Hayley, sorry I will never warm up to that character. Honestly if I was a new viewer, I would be utterly confused right now.

16. Sarah says:

Hayley. Needs. To. Go.

17. William says:

I’m sorry but I can’t handle an entire show dedicated to Klaus’ self-obsessed ways, in addition to all of his whining. It’s too much for me to handle. I can’t even sympathize with Elijah or Rebekah’s characters anymore because the writers made them incompetent. What more will it take for either of them to realize that Klaus is incapable of being reformed? They continue to give him chances after chances, but it never works in their favor. And I’m sorry but I don’t understand the logic in Rebekah staying on the show. It completely contradicts everything she has said and done throughout VD S4. Then again, this pilot did an excellent job at doing that.

18. I love Vampire Diaries and now I love The Originals.I hope they do lots of crossovers between Vampire Diaries and the Originals.Ian Somerhalder makes Vampire Diaries and even though I love Klaus Elijah makes the Originals.Bring Rebekkah in to undated Elijah the show needs him.Go team Delena.Well, mostly team Damon!

19. Ashley says:

I liked Hayley a lot better this episode. Her “Your dad was a dick” line was gold.

20. Simonea says:

I liked the pilot. Elijah and Klaus’s fight was the best part. Elijah is such a good brother to Klaus and Klaus always stabs him in the back. I’m not sure why people hate Hayley so much. She was good this episode. Probably butthurt Klaroline fans.

• Jessica says:

I hate to agree, but I do. I don’t mind Hayley, now that we got a bit more information on her. I also think Elijah and Rebekah are way better siblings than Klaus is. Oh, so Klaus is pushing them away YET AGAIN. Ok, fair enough, but maybe Elijah should just give up for now. Klaus isn’t going to change, no matter how hard he pushes. It’s been 1000 years. If it hasn’t happened by now, it won’t. Take Hayley and the child and get the hell out of New Orleans. Let Marcel and Klaus duke it out.

• Mari says:

Well, we’re not all Klaroline fans–I don’t like Hayley or the Klaus/Caroline pairing. The actress playing Hayley is probably a lovely person, but I find the character grating.

21. Lane says:

It was so weird to watch this episode knowing that Hayley in The Vampire Diaries already knew about Klaus’ hybrid status… I don’t think I’ll like The Originals if it doesn’t correspond with TVD’s plot :/

22. mb says:

How exactly is Marcel going to kill let alone hurt an Original? We’re a pilot in and already the plotholes and ‘because I say so’ logic has arrived. I wanted to care because I love Elijah, sadly this round of Musical Daggering has killed my interest dead.

23. Sparky says:

If this gets cancelled please tell me that there not going to bring them back to Mystic Falls? Refreshing to not hear about damn hybrids and the originals on the Vampire Diaries – this season might actually be worth tuning into to see Silas do his thing.

24. Jane says:

In was surprised by how excited I found myself when watching the show. All the new scenes were really cool but the Klaus/Elijah fight was my favorite. I feel the need to rewatch it over and over again. That rocked. also: I’m intrigued by the dynamic between Davina and Marcel and want to know more about it. I did not expect to be this interested in the show itself, but hell, even Hayley gained some points with me “Your dad was a dick” was exactly what someone needed to say since Mikael showed up in TVD.

25. Pati says:

It was boring but mostly because we already saw this episode this was just slightly different. I’m excited for next week when we get a brand new episode.

26. Paul Penna says:

My guess is daggering Elijah is how they’re going to manage the time jump. Vampire Diaries is now three months ahead, thus Elijah is likely going to wake up next episode and it’ll be three months later.

I’m glad Kol and Finn were in the flashback. While Finn remained daggered during the family’s stay in New Orleans, Kol was obviously woken up at some point. Hopefully we’ll get flashbacks involving him as we know from the Vampire Diaries that he has a strong connection to witches.

27. Sara says:

Once Elijah got staked at the end…I was out.

28. originalbloggist says:

The originals was good, but could’ve been better. Since the episode was pretty much recycled I’ll have to wait till Tuesday to make a solid judgment. The show still has potential

29. Trenton says:

This show has a lot of promise, I think they need to make it a touch more open with different enemies not all aligned not he same side like once upon a time… But the biggest thing they must be careful about is they need to stop coffining Elijah. Elijah spills milk coffine, Elijah is late to dinner coffine. It gets old and boring after done so often. It works in this episode bc he was like the elana doing the voice over almost the central character, but he has been coffined too much already by klaus. Still the show has promise, a touch more mature than vd..: but still has the youthful feel… I.e the cw’s sweet spot

30. Trenton says:

I kinda wonder if Elijah and Haley is the romance triangle thing… Brothers baby , but she crushes on him. They do tend to like the same girls

• hallie says:

No, they don’t klaus didn’t have a thing with katherine he only wanted her blood so she would help him with his hybrids and as far as haley he has no interest in her.

31. Giveelijahbacktousplease26:) says:

I think Elijah and Hayley would be great together. But I also want Elijah and Sophie to be together because I think he actually likes her cuz she had the guts to threaten an original and actually live. But I love phoebe Tonkin she is a wonderful actress loved her on secret circle as Faye. I like Hayley give her time it’s a great storyline she’s in. I’m sticking around to see where it goes and maybe there will be a triangle but Elijah in the center and Hayley and Sophie that would be interesting to see. I want more Elijah and can’t wait to see the next episode which is brand new and not déjà vu as to already seen parts just there were added parts. So I think Hayley will be sticking around. Give her more time you may like her in episodes and don’t worry klaroline fans I don’t think she’s a threat to a future relationship for klaus and Caroline. I want them together too but I think Hayley is going to be a love interest for Elijah not klaus

32. Mikael says:

Those Originals dagger each other way too often. Enough already.

33. Tinemi says:

If Julie Plec (I’m guessing she’s the producer here) doesn’t realize that neutralizing Elijah is against the best of this show soon, it will loose it’s charm. I mean, Klaus is nice, but he’s too much of a spoiled brat, the same goes for Rebekah, and Elijah is the balance in that situation. And everything needs balance: that’s why TVD works: one brother is the bad boy the other is the sensitive one.

34. Anne says:

A quick thought: I know Hayley’s sad sob story is suppose to endear the viewers to her, and kicking out a child is a big no no in parenting, but… To become a werewolf you have to kill someone! It’s a bit hard to blame Hayley’s adoptive mom for kicking her out after she killed someone

35. IMHO says:

I don’t think Elijah will be daggered for long because he is the best part of the show.

36. tammie says:

it really sucks..Elijah is a great character, i’m kinda pissed.
    i will still watch the second ep, i like tvd but i get sick of the lovey dovey stuff……….i’m looking forward too the witches too

37. Tvd says:

This series is going to be boring if elijah disappears for a couple of weeks, comes back for 1 episode and disappears again like he did in tvd! Elijah is epic and he is the main reason I was looking forward to this series! Please make him a regular!

38. Ann says:

I was wondering why did Klaus yet once again stab Elijah with a stake, probably the one he actually gave him. He is supposed to be a main character in this series of The Originals. According to the information on the series guide, Elijah is in the next episode trying to get Rebekah to come to New Orleans if he is not going to be around? Don’t keep stabbing Elijah they are brothers for goodness sake, keep them that way.

• Bailiegh says:

For the life of me I can not understand why someone has not taken those darn white oak stakes away from Klaus!

39. Nicole says:

I love the shoe already I’m hooked. The producers are really good just please don’t cancel the show especially midseason

40. MDC says:

Klaus killed Elijah out of love, to protect him. After seeing Marcel’s pet witch, I’m sure that it’s best that Elijah remains safe and locked up for the time being. Once klaus has dealt with Marcel then the Originals shall be reunited safe and free.

• mac says:

I hate when people try to justify Klaus actions.
      ‘he just killed Carol because he was hurt’ ‘he was so confused, that’s why he killed Jenna’.

Booohhooo the character is a sociopath, there ain’t no good intentions there

41. Naazneen says:

I did not see the whole backdoor pilot, just pieces, so i came into this pretty much without any expectation. I LOVED it. I loved that the episode was pretty much Elijah’s and damn, Daniel Gillies is just fantastic. I like that the show keeps the brother/family dynamic of TVD – the family is most important core of the show – but without any hint of some crazy incestuous love quadrangle. I am hooked. Excited to see more. But the writers have their work cut out for them. Klaus is a piece of work. Its a careful line to keep his redemption arc natural, but not make him just so horrid he is hard to root for.

42. JAO says:

Love Elijah. Will stick around to see it play out. Hope it’s not too long!

43. Bailiegh says:

It seems that the Originals is playing around with the vampire mythology that could get The Vampire Diaries into trouble. Elijah had to be invited into the cemetery because it was sacred ground, however neither Stefan nor Damon had any trouble walking right into the Mystic Falls cemetery in the VD pilot (to stalk Elena) nor any other time they buried someone there over the last four years.

44. Sandy says:

Exactly my thoughts!

45. Tremon says:

Elijah is one of the best bring him back 2 keep his brother in line make him a hybrid family is every thang I love the show but we need Elijah ;-)