Exclusive

The Blacklist Exclusive Sneak Peek: Will Red Finally Reveal Why He Chose Elizabeth?

Next Monday, The Blacklist (NBC, 10/9c) will inch even closer to unveiling the mystery at the center of the new hit drama: Why did Red Reddington handpick Elizabeth Keen to take part in his puzzling game?

RELATED | James Spader on Possible Blacklist/Avengers Conflict: ‘I’m Hoping for a Smooth Transition’

The following exclusive first look at the installment finds Megan Boone’s alter ego demanding answers — one specifically — from James Spader’s ex (?) criminal. “If I’m going to help you,” she declares, “I want something in return: the truth. I want to know why you chose me.”

His response? Well, you’ll have to press PLAY below to find out. Why do you think Red insisted on working with Elizabeth? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, First Look, Video

1. kim says:

I think he is her father.

2. Charley says:

It’s been incredibly obvious from the beginning. Red is her dad. My only complaint about the show is how obvious this is.

• Danyelle says:

I can’t imagine it’s that obvious. Would you like to make it interesting and put some money on it?

• Spinning Maze says:

I put ten bucks on it with a buddy of mine. He put ten on Elizabeth’s dad being a buddy who was killed, which prompted Red to do all this in some way.

• Alichat says:

It’s either that, or he’s related to her in some other way. Maybe her uncle who promised her mother he’d take care of her. Or maybe he was friends with her father and promised him he’d watch out for her. I hope it’s something better, from a twist standpoint, than him just being her father.

3. Can’t wait for Monday’s episode. Hope The Blacklist gets a full season pick up soon if ratings holds up.

4. John says:

Her biological father? That would only be acceptable if delivered in a full head black plastic mask in a very deep voice.

His dialog this week about everything she thinks she knows about herself isn’t true leads that way though, Hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised otherwise. They DID start out laying the groundwork she’d been fully vetted with no connection to Reddington and he was still in the Navy (20 years back?) after she was born so there’d be little basis for her true parentage to be sealed off from the FBI etc.

Oh they could wave it off as he’s just that good but I hate those all powerful copouts. (and yes Pelant I’m looking straight at you).

5. Mr. John says:

Finally?

6. qweel says:

I think a more important question is when are they going to get Megan Boone a better wig! Man, that thing is distracting.

• momoftwo says:

I thought I was the only being bothered by that. Also, did anyone else notice that the scar on her hand matches the etching on the box she found hidden by her husband.

• Christina says:

Seriously! Glad other people notice it too.

• John 1138 says:

Nah, just go with an FBI Pixy Cut. Maybe work in an international hairstyling plot line?

• Sparky says:

Why is she wearing a wig? Thought she might have had a bad hairstyle.

• Katrina says:

I have no idea..I was thinking the same thing about her hair when watching! I knew it was a wig. I’m going to have to google and see what she looks like.

• Izzy says:

Oh thank you. It was driving me crazy when the promos first came out. Then I saw her tvline comic con interview and realized why the promos looked so wrong. Personally I think her normal hair style makes more sense for the role. That wig just does nothing for her.

7. roderk says:

Her dad, too easy!
    for me her husband is his son.

8. Mel says:

Even my husband, who does not necessarily think too far ahead when it comes to TV, said Monday night,”he’s her father isn’t he?”

9. Luciana says:

Because he´s her father!

10. sladewilson says:

I’m really hoping the “I’m your father” thing is a red herring. It’s just so easy and I can’t see this show going that easy route. I do think he’s related to her – maybe an uncle or maybe her father’s best friend (Godfather, maybe?) and she’s the only family he has left… I would actually appreciate that moreso than the whole I’m your father deal. Or heck, okay, he’s her father but have that come out waaaaaaaaaay later. Just don’t let it be that obvious….

11. Ann says:

Maybe he is her father. Her biological father. Maybe the man she thought was her father (and deserted her) actually wasn’t.

12. LEP says:

Seriously doubt he’s her father. But I agree he has something to do with her parents, and it also has something to do with his family and why he took off in the first place. It’s definitely personal. And I doubt we find out this soon.

13. Austin says:

If he is her father, they better reveal it soon because if they wait and he is her father… a lot of people will be drawn away from the show fast.

14. Lindsay says:

I am really hoping he is not her dad. It is just too obvious. Plus, you would think that with how much the FBI has poured into figuring him out and his connection to Elizabeth, that they would have done a DNA test.

15. roderk says:

I think James Spader plays a similar role to that of Timothy Dalton in Chuck.. He infiltrated a crime, which was created by the USA and was abandoned by its leaders making him a free agent.

16. Kelley says:

He’s her grandfather.

17. sutherlin says:

He’s her dad. It was obvious but became even more obvious on this last episode.

18. ariana says:

I think Reddington was a good buddy of her father’s and somehow was responsible for her father’s death; perhaps the “good buddy that was killed off the coast of Belize by a Manta Ray” – odd considering Manta Rays do not kill people; stingrays do.

19. Mark Levitt says:

If he is her dad, why would he point her in that direction so easy by saying its to do with your father…that’s like setting her up on the right trail. He would want to be more ambiguous That can’t be the reason. Otherwise, why not just pull out the old Darth Vader line, “Luke, I am your father”

20. JD says:

He is either her father or the one who killed her father..Maybe he was her mother’s lover and has only found out that she exists.

21. AmberKNYC says:

It’s so obvious that he’s her father. It was obvious even before the series started & all they were showing were previews of it. Hopefully, they’ll add some additional twist, something including Red’s involvement with her husband. Love this show. Spader was particularly amazing in tonight’s episode, in his monologue to the stewmaker. Btw, why was the stewmaker always naked?? Even in the woods! Doesn’t that just make him MORE likely to drop his DNA onto stuff? Anyway, what a sick S-O-B.

22. AmberKNYC says:

Red is definitely her Dad, anything less would be disappointing. But who was the woman in the Polaroid that Red took from the stewmaker’s collection? Could it have been Elizabeth’s REAL mom… ? The plot thickens!

• Andrea says:

Maybe Red is Lizzie’s uncle and that picture was of the mom like Amber said. I didn’t notice the scar and the box. Will have to go back and look.

23. Heidi says:

This is such a creepy/great show.

24. MK says:

I just caught up with the shows yesterday on my demand. I believe Red is either her father or her Uncle. anybody try to cross with liz…he gets too personal and kills them with no remorse….when Liz asked red “how can you live like this?” he replied something about knowing that he saves her life; that made me hmm its too obvious. I like the show very much…just wish I saw it sooner though.

25. Ella says:

At first I thought that Red definitely has to be her father. But even though that would be my preference, it would be way too obvious. I think the writer is going to surprise us and reveal in due time that Red is in love with Liz. I know this may sound absurd but I think the writer is thinking outside the box. Can’t wait to see more!!!

26. dany says:

I think that liz’s actual father was a close partner to ray, probably saved his life and died asking him for a last request, to take care of his daughter.

27. Chloe says:

That what they want you to think.”Oh its her father” You may be wrong!

28. Renee says:

I think her father killed Red’s family.

• Red (really) says:

Renee—really interesting idea, and one that the series could exploit in a number of ways–KUDOS

• Ziggy says:

I think Red wants to use Liz against her biological father. We know he is a career criminal just like Red, maybe they crossed path somewhere along the way and he screwed Red over. In episode 5 Red says that he has some kinda long term plan for liz. Being her father is too obvious for my taste, there has to be something more.

29. Red (really) says:

A few ideas to consider:
    -Red can’t be the father: too obvious, and dramatically changes thrust of the series; also Red was former USN so plenty of documents to connect him with Liz (even if she was just a baby)…but remember, Red goes off the grid 20 yrs ago, Liz is about 26-28 (college, and prior work in NYC, so…she’d have been 6-8? (yes, just like the little girl in the last episode)

Liz is adopted (Monday’s episode will show him) and her adopted Dad KNOWS who her real father is!, but Red will NOT allow him to tell Liz…WHY? not because Red is her Dad, but because Red KNOWS who her Dad is/was…plot thickens

Red might be:
    -Uncle (possible, but a bit lame based on the great writing in the series so far)
    -God Father-again a bit too lame (protector, but where’s he been for 20 yrs, unless protecting her from afar—again a bit lame, the writers could do better)
    -Family friend—nah, weak
    -Best friend of her real Dad who was killed by someone still on the Black List?
    -Red is her real Dad!…ok, but the plot needs to be developed…Liz’s Mom was also an Agent (CIA?) who got betrayed by a rogue agent (group…Illuminati?) and was killed by the Stewmaker…Liz’s burn mark is the same as the logo on the Box with Tom’s passports, etc. (Tom is also a bad guy, btw), and Red is out to avenge his wife’s death/betrayal, and get the guy responsible who is still in the FBI?

Who knows, but it’s a fantastic show! Red will probably disclose who killed JFK, who was behind 911…the whole thing, lol….and James Spader is perfect for this role!

• Qari says:

I thought he is her dad, but that would make it too obvious, but is it me or did the lady who’s picture he took from from the stewmaker look a bit like lizzie. It sounds fishy how Red an upcoming Navy officer turns criminal. It makes me think that he is the brother of lizzie’s dad who asked got into trouble with some criminals and to show that he meaned business he killed Red’s family. I think Lizzie is his last family. he has been watching her from a far and when the chance came for him to be with her he took it by turning himself in to the FBI; the same day she started.

• Kelley says:

Plausible. Wonder how much longer b4 we know? The Mentalist is getting closer to revealing who Red John is too!

• Qari says:

I stopped watching that, but it is one of the guys from FBI. What I am saying is that he won’t be lizzie’s dad godfather or uncle maybe but certainly not dad.

• John Meihana says:

Lizzie was adopted at age 4 by Sam ? how could she be the girl in the flashback Red was remembering tenderly lovingly and heartbroken ? she was aged maybe 5-6 ?

30. Cat says:

Why does she wear a wig? It drives me crazy!

• red says:

aside from what the actress has said (hair is short, but the writers wanted it longer-and just bought her cheap wigs, lol), perhaps (for the story) she was burned in the same fire that left the scar on her hand, and can’t grow hair on her head?, lol; or to distract you from looking at her chest? :-)

31. Ed says:

What if he was old KGB and he set her as a sleeper and wants to deprogram her so she can move on with her life. Or maybe she isn’t the end game at all maybe Red is try to get his son out and he is the sleeper. Come on I would think it has to be deeper then daddy bull!

32. Ed says:

I didn’t cuss o was talking about how they could spice up the daddy plot

33. Lizzie says:

he’s her long lost, natural older brother

34. johnny p says:

Well i come to think that her parents are not really dead.

35. Garrick T says:

I understand everyone’s point. It would perhaps be too simple and uninteresting if Redington is her father. But, it’s obvious that he has deep, deep feelings for her. His whole world revolves around Lizzy. If I was Raymond Reddington, the ONLY person that I would sacrifice that much for would be my flesh and blood daughter. A neice, daughter of a friend, or god daughter would not be so important to me that I would put so much on the line.

• Qari says:

She would be important if she was the only one left. I mean he said she’s the only one who can help/change him or something.
      Makes me think she’s the last connection he has to his biological family

36. Ken Adams says:

Red could be Elizabeth’s grandfather. The woman he looked up could be his daughter and elizabeth’s mother who faked her death to persue a life of crime like her father and Red feels responsible for Elizabeth being abandoned so he is trying to make up for that and help Elizabeth figure out her mother is actually still alive.

• Qari says:

Nope because if you looked at the age she would be around 33 and Elizabeth is around 28 or something.
      Also that girl he looked up I’m pretty sure she’s the same one killed by the Stewmaker

37. doris darby says:

from the first show, I, was hooked, doesend it seem to everyone else, it reminds me of hanable lecter and clarice starling????????

38. Kelley says:

I think Lizzy’s husband is related to Red and Lizzy, somehow. The recently dead Diane Fowler (played by Jane Alexander), who was shot by Red in her home, said something to the effect that she knew what had happened to Red’s family while bargaining for her life. Red still has connections in the FBI. He called a career “crime scene clean up artist” after he killed Diane who I believe is one of many allies he maintains at the FBI. Alan Alda knows what and why and who and when. He may also have a limited role in the plot like Jane Alexander did. The problem with secrets like this is the same as with the Mentalist’s “Red John”. People get bored with guessing after awhile so some other plot scheme will have to be injected into the series to keep viewer interest when the “secret” is finally revealed. I think James Spader is doing a helluva job and will keep my interest in the series even after all is revealed.

39. Don’t forget everyone he said he has never lied to her and she asked him if he was her father and he said no! so it must be some other kind of twist. i would like him to be her father so that she can see the world thru his eyes and see it isn’t always black and white.

40. Mayford says:

Listen to him in the 22nd episode, season1 where Liz once again ask about her father. His reply is “Sam told me that a FRIEND, came to his house the other night saying he was in danger and was lvng the country; he also said the FRIEND wanted Sam to keep for him the lil girl WHOSE FATHER HAS JUST DIED that night”….”he then went on to say its Liz’ protection not to find out about her real father”

41. Leticia says:

I think red is not her father, but the daughter of Berlin. Keeping Lizzie close to him is like colateral. Its to easy if Red is her father. Like his ex wife said, he is not who you think. He wants something! and that is Berlin.