Post Mortem: Scandal Team Teases Season 3's 'Dark As You Can Imagine' New Twist and More

Scandal Season 3 SpoilersABC’s Scandal started brewing again this Thursday night, and per its trademark style raised just as many intriguing questions as it exasperatingly answered.

To quickly recap: Olivia suffered a verbal beatdown at the hands of her father, B613 boss Rowan, before electing to not skip town but stay and manage her “First Mistress” infamy. The Gladiators lobbied to help, but Liv kept them at arm’s length, opting instead to “pull the fire alarm” to score facetime with Fitz… and Mellie. Over the course of a riveting, nine-minute sequence, Olivia laid out in detail a truthy fix, right down to Mellie’s lavender wardrobe — but the First Lady wasn’t having it.

Ultimately, they arrived at a compromise — Fitz bedded Liv only twice ever, at relatively appropriate times — but it was moot. Cyrus, with an assist from the Gladiators, framed a mild-mannered (if Fitz-lusting) White House aide as the mistress.

The hour closed with Charlie showing up in Cyrus’ bedroom to deliver him to Rowan, who shared with the Chief of Staff details on Operation Remington, a top-secret mission run by Fitz and Jake during their Navy days. Cy’s reaction, mouth agape. “Oh. My. God.”

RELATED | Scandal Exclusive: Private Practice’s Paul Adelstein to Recur in Season 3

Scandal left you with questions and we sought out answers, when the cast and creatives assembled this week at a Saks event in New York City.

WHAT IS BEHIND OLIVIA’S GINORMOUS DADDY ISSUES? | I mean, no one talks like that to She Who Wears the White Hat… right? Flashbacks in next week’s episode “further inform and make you understand [Olivia and Rowan's] relationship more,” Kerry Washington previews. “But it is also devastatingly confusing, because you just don’t comprehend how two people could have this dynamic.” P.S. TVLine hears that in addition to fleshing out Olivia’s history, these flashbacks may feature at least one other Gladiator.

CYRUS’ ‘KILL FILE’ WAS WRONG ABOUT OLIVIA’S FATHER — SO WHAT ABOUT THE REST? | Like, could her mother not be dead? Is Liv perhaps not an only child? “Whether or not anything on this show anybody ever takes at face value is the question,” exec producer Betsy Beers hedges. “Sometimes it is [true], sometimes it isn’t. But I ain’t saying!”

RELATED | Scandal Enlists Army Wives‘ Sally Pressman for Multi-Episode Arc

HOW BIG IS THE OPERATION REMINGTON BOMBSHELL? (AND WHAT IS THE OPERATION REMINGTON BOMBSHELL?) | After all, as Beers notes, “It definitely takes a lot to drop Cyrus’ jaw!” Series creator Shonda Rhimes attests that when it comes to threatening Fitz’s future, Remington will make MistressGate look like very small potatoes. “It’s complex,” she says, adding: “You discover things on top of things on top of things that really go to the heart of who Olivia is as a person.” Wait, back up — an off-book military op carried out by Fitz and Jake years ago in Iran is ultimately about Olivia? Yup! As Scott Foley puts it, “If you think about the darkest thing you can imagine about Olivia, it’s probably that. That’s how dark Remington is.”
Scandal Season 3 SpoilersDO WE NEED TO STAGE A QUINNTERVENTION? | Or are we OK with Ms. Perkins suggesting the murder of another intern as an easy “fix” for everything? “She’s heading down a dark path,” affirms Katie Lowes. “The season finale [in which she "drilled" Billy Chambers] opened up a new side of her, giving her a sense of control she has never felt.” And yes, other such “Can’t we just kill another intern?” bon mots are coming. Laughs the actress, “Her altered mindset is apparent and running strong!”

ARE ABBY AND DAVID STILL… YOU KNOW…? | “You’re going to get pointed in a couple of directions” as to the on-and-off-again lovers’ current status, Joshua Malina says, “but it’s clear within the first few episodes that it ain’t over. It’s not entirely resolved.” Adds his leading lady Darby Stanchfield, “They get cooking with gas around Episode 3, 4, 5.”

RELATED | Get Details on the ‘Non-Stop’ Schedules for Scandal,TONY GOLDWYN Grey’s and Other ABC Shows

WAS PRESIDENT GRANT ALWAYS THE LEAK? | Or did Rhimes & Co. go back and forth over the summer on the source’s identity? Silly question; nothing is happenstance in Shondaland. “We knew who the leak was before we had the leak happen,” Rhimes assures with a smile.

WHAT’S NEXT FOR OLIVIA AND FITZ? | What’s the saying — “Twice bitten, thrice shy,” for the star-crossed couple? And could Remington’s “dark” truth turn out to be their ultimate ruining? In the wake of so much barely squelched rumor-mongering (and with Mellie on the highest alert), “They’ll have to define the new rules,” Washington says. “And as more information unravels, their relationship will continue to evolve.”

Review some of the premiere’s notable quotes below, then give it a grade! Also: Want more scoop on Scandal? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

I am the hell AND the high water…. TWICE AS GOOD as them to get HALF what they have…. I am a monster but I’m YOUR monster…. That’s what Mom used to tell me about YOU…. The PEOPLE elected you to be the president’s sidekick, not the LORD…. Sweet brown baby…. It CAN’T. BE. LIV…. It’s enough to play the ‘Ambitious Slut’ card…. I’m going to need you to refrain from calling me a ‘whore’…. That is me being in love with another woman…. If all we had to talk about was a blue dress with a stain and a cigar in interesting places, I wouldn’t give a damn…. There will be a window; climb through it…. Are we Gladiators, or are we bitches?…. I use the copious amounts of free time I have to THINK…. Step 1 was me coming to Blair House and laying my head in your lap…. The trunk was very comfortable, thank you…. Oh my God.

1. Alichat says:

Hooooollllyyyyyyyy CRAP! That was a fantastic episode! I knew it was definitely Hal and when Fitz had that one-on-one with Sally, I knew he was the second leak. I just had no idea how it came about. And thanks so much Shonda for the heart attack. I actually thought James was dead there for a minute.

• the girl says:

I had NO. IDEA. Fitz might be the leak, so kudos to you for being smart. I did consider that he was setting himself up to either a) resign or b) not run for a second term when he had that conversation with Sally Langston, but I still didn’t think he was the leak. The scene between Liv, Fitz, and Mellie was BANANAS. Goodness that cast has chemistry and talent. When Fitz told Mellie they were at war… What???? And that opening scene, now THAT’S how you start a season right there! “And let me be clear, I am the hell AND the high water”. Done.

• Alichat says:

Once Fitz told Sally he was going to own up to it but he needed time, I thought…wait a minute, this is what he wanted last season…..for the world to know he loves Olivia. Still, I didn’t think he would use Hal and Tom. I thought for sure it would be Hal had leaked her name, and Fitz had somehow confirmed it, but I couldn’t figure out how.

• Sarah says:

It was actually Tom. Tom is the younger agent who consults with Fitz. Hal is older, always reports to Mellie, and who was shot protecting the president.

2. the girl says:

So yeah. That was amazing.

3. csterrs says:

Awesome ep! Thank god, Scandal has returned and is just as good as I hoped it would be!!

4. Janine says:

The premiere was worth the wait!

5. TVPeong says:

Wow…. I don’t who is worst Mellie, Cyrus or Fitz

6. Cheyenne says:

Holy s**t, is Fitz some kind of war criminal??

• Amanda says:

I’m leaping out on this one, but I think Fitz accidentally took the plane carrying Liv’s mother down and Jake covered it up……

7. Yoki says:

I’m convinced Harrison and Olivia are related. Shonda really threw me making Fitz the leak, NEVER saw that one.

8. Yoki says:

Also, maybe mom was in the business and is not dead.

• I so hope that’s the case (and totally what I thought when they were reviewing that BOGUS kill file of Olivia’s. I’m guessing more than half the crap in there isn’t true. And I am on bended knee to sweet baby Jesus her mother is still alive so she can be played by Phylicia Rashad.

• Alichat says:

Ooo….I like that casting suggestion. I think Rhimes should resurrect the mother just for that purpose!

• Jules says:

I vote Angela Bassett for Liv’s mom or the gorgeously regal Dihann Carol. And Harrison for sure the bro. Probably half – bro in which case his mom needs to be played by Vanessa Williams. Is anyone writing this down??!!! Haha!!

• Ashley says:

what if olivia dad was the one who ordered the attack on olivia mum and she didn’t die, only to come back to take revenge…

9. Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    What a helluva great episode.

10. Cheyenne says:

That premiere was definitely worth waiting 4.5 months for.

11. Talia says:

If you’re not watching Scandal on Thursdays then something is wrong with you. Love this show!

• Mary says:

Not your best choice of words! For me, this show is more and more just a soap opera and I could be saying that people watching it have something wrong with them and I´m not! I get it, you love it, but just because someone doesn´t share your entusiasm doesn´t mean they have something wrong going on!:)

• Maui says:

If you don’t enjoy the show or watch, why are you even commenting on this thread?

• Mary says:

I do watch, altough not religiously, and I enjoyed it more at first, now not so much. AND my comment was for the choice of words, not the show itself…

• j says:

you can think a show is basically a soap opera and still enjoy it….

• Mary says:

I didn´t say I didn´t or that it was impossible…What I said is that just because someone doesn´t share the same entusiasm for one show as others, it doesn´t mean there´s something wrong with them…if you read the original post to wich I responded, the poster said “if you aren´t watching Scandal,…something is wrong with you”. And I responded to that, I don´t agree! I would never say that to anyone who doesn´t share my opinion about a show, so I don´t like to see that being said to anyone too, that´s all:)

• j says:

mary I was actually replying to Maui’s post! I agree that shonda shows are so overly dramatic its hard NOT to think of them as soap operas

• Sweet Blacque says:

Come on really! You had to post that comment? I don’t the person meant that literally.

• Mary says:

That´s why I said it wasn´t the better word´s choice! There was no need to say them, saying she loves the show was enough:)

12. Jillian says:

This show is TOO amazing! The last 5 minutes had me screaming at my television. Best show on (broadcast) television by far!!!

13. Kre says:

The scene with Olivia, Fitz and Mellie was GOLD.

14. sladewilson says:

I won my bet with some friends when I told them Fitz was the leak and Mellie would figure it out. The smile was my clue and like Mellie said, who does it benefit? Either way, Fitz figures he wins. Here’s what he NEVER takes into consideration: Olivia. She wears the white hat, dude. How much of this stuff do you think she’s gonna be down with? If Fitz REALLY wants to win, he needs to get Mellie to have an affair with someone she truly cares about or that brain of hers is gonna be working mega overtime…

• Desi says:

Everytime I watch this show, it leaves me breathless and with more questions. ABSOLUTELY BRILLANT!
      I believe Olivia and Fitz is in on the whole “leak” thing. What better way to control the truth and achieve what you want…than spinning it your way.What they didn’t count on is the aide being set up as the mistress.

• Mary says:

Me too, I knew it was Fitz or at least I really thought it was at the end of last season. He was the only one to benefit with it coming out but sometimes Shondra throws a curve ball. Great episode.
      Best drama on TV.

• the girl says:

I have been hoping that baby is not Fitz’s child. Ever since she got pregnant I’m like, please can we find out that Mellie had/is having an affair. I doubt very much however that it would go like that, because Mellie has her own political aspirations, and if she is the cheater, it diminishes her ability to play the victim wife and gain sympathy votes.

• Nikita Sutton says:

Wow…I was soooo hoping that as well! I can’t stand that Mellie….but I’m sooo rooting for Fitz and Olivia!…My guilty hope….lol….they all have something on each other so it’s not like one can cast the first stone and kick the other to the curb! Wow….love this show…besides Revenge…lol…this show is top fricking notch!!

15. Amy says:

I love Mellie

• HanLin says:

I hate Mellie.

• Cheyenne says:

LOL so does Fitz and he just declared war on her. Pass the popcorn.

• Dmac says:

Isn’t anyone bothered at the lengths Fitz will go to protect Olivia or the kind if person he truly is? He murdred someone and leaked the affair to “save” Olivia. He spends more time obsessing about Olivia than running the country. This isn’t love it is obsession and I think he has gone off the deep end. Say what you want about Mellie but in that bunker you could tell she was deveststed at the end of their relationship. She is the mother of his children but he declared war on her??? And his creepy smile when he was comforting Olivia, it gave me chills. I can’t see how Fitz is the knight in shining armor that these shippers think he is…He murdred someone to get what he wanted and people seem to forget that.

• Mary says:

Totally agree! That´s exactly how I see it.

• Desi says:

Yeah he did killed someone who was actually had one foot in the grave. But do remember, she also tried to kill him.

I feel for Mellie and I even understand her, but lets just make one think clear THIS WAS NOT A LOVE MATCH and she knew that. Mellie has been constant in who she is…brillant, manipulating, devious and very ambitious, Mellie will look out for Mellie. She did whatever it took to get him elected and will continue to do so to remain in the White House.

As for the leak…Olivia was in on it. Remember, “It’s handled”

Fitz and Olivia, what can I say…it does border on obsession. An addiction, they can shake or don’t really want to shake. They are like magnets…always drawn to each other.

• M says:

I’m less bothered by Fitz’ actions than the show’s romanticism of them. I don’t mind Fitz being a dark character whose obsession with Olivia blinds him to everything else, but I wish the writers stopped acting like his behavior is acceptable, let alone romantic. It’s not. Stalking someone is not romantic. And let’s be clear, that’s what Fitz did. He didn’t hire people to look into Olivia’s moves and get Jake to spy on her because she was a threat to national security, he did it because he wanted to know if she was dating someone else. He didn’t have his guards drag her out of her apartment and bring her to him because her behavior was causing problems in his administration, he did it because she was seen with Edison. Let Fitz be creepy. Let him stalk Olivia. Let his obsession with her drive his every action. That’s fine. But I’d appreciate it if the writers didn’t romanticize and excuse his behavior.

And just to be clear, Jake isn’t any better. His actions are just as creepy as Fitz’s and the show has romanticized them and excused them in the same way. I honestly don’t remember enough about Edison to say if he fit this pattern.

• Cheyenne says:

OMG Fitz is no knight in shining armor or even rusty armor. But as Verna said about him and Olivia together, they breathe in sync. They were made for each other.

• Nikita Sutton says:

I know that’s right!!!!

• Ram510 says:

Mellie is AWESOME! I hope they use her beautiful mind more often this season. I could actually see a spinoff with her as the lead. The show is just pure genius!

• IMar says:

Mellie and Cyrus characters are a “love/hate” feelings…. I love them and I dislike themnat the same time… yeap what “scandal” for my feelings :)

• mdr says:

Me too, she´s the caracther worth looking at! And, IMO, the best acted! Bellamy Young makes a great job acting her…when she´s mad I can see the darts flying from her eyes and when she´s sad it also shows! For me, her scenes with Fitz are great due to the hate they have for each other (and yet for some reason they stay stuck with other, lol)! Now, I was never a fan of Kerry Washington´s acting and looking at this picture of Olivia i got why…the way she pops her eyes and opens her mouth remembers me a fish dying, ugh:(

• M says:

Mellie is easily my second favorite character, after Olivia. And their scenes together are just AMAZING.

16. Juan says:

My jaw hurt a little after finding out Fitz was the leak, I so do not see that coming. This was a phenomenal episode and I agree about the 9 minute bunker scene, fantastic.

17. Coppertop says:

I would have thought there would have been more info in Olivia’s file, being that close to the President, there should have been details and investigative reports, just saying. I need to watch it again, I am sure I missed something, I was a little distracted by that bad white coat Olivia wore. I never have trusted Cy or Mellie, and you can say you heard it here first, I bet you Mellie’s baby is a papa maybe!!

18. Marc says:

Great season premiere, my friends and I suspected that it was either Edison or Fitz who was responsible for the leak. Had shivers when Mellie confronted Fitz about the leak and then he declared war on her. This show has the best lines and they are not given to just one character, but all of them! How is Cyrus still alive BTW? The man almost seem to be one step away from having a heart attack. And it was interesting seeing Olivia getting such a talking to from her father. Daddy issues galore and I thought that Olivia didn’t know what her father did for a living, so I was surprised that she knew exactly who Jake worked for. All in all though, another fantastic episode.

However, it’s still bothering me that Olivia’s dad asked Jake on the bench back in season two if he’d taken care of the head of the CIA and jake said yes, he’s made it look like a suicide and later had Billy admitting to killing the CIA director. When are they going to clear that up????

19. Cheyenne says:

Fitz to Mellie: “We. Are. At. War.”
    Sh*t just got real.

20. analog says:

Another conspiracy? This is getting old.

• joseph says:

hahaha, analog, you’re watching the wrong show. it’s ALL ABOUT conspiracies. if that’s not your cup of tea, don’t watch.

• misha says:

its a shonda show: overly dramatic with the constant breaking down and building up relationships. She can’t write realism a la the west wing!

21. Scandal Fan says:

So Fitz is totally trashing his Presidency when he tells Sally that there will be a window open after his speech, to use it and be bold and condemn him and be the moral centre of the party.

• Blu says:

He’s not trashing his presidency, he’s playing Sally. Think about it. He won the first time because they rigged the election. This time around, I think he wants to win more than ever, to prove that he can do it on his own and have the will of the people behind him. He’s figuring out a way to neutralize Sally.

• Alichat says:

Interesting….I thought the same as Scandal Fan. I took it that Fitz figured once he owned up to it, he’d let Sally run with it, take control of the party, and eventually run in the next election. This would allow Fitz to just fade into the background and have his life back. Because that’s one of the things Fitz wants. Plus the conversation between the two of them seemed so genuine.

• TH says:

Fitz knows something about sally’s husband, he’s just getting her to let her gaud down. Cunning!

22. Ram510 says:

YES! This is what I’ve been waiting for! This is the best premiere so far this season. It brilliantly reintroduce the characters and the scene without being boggled down or having to slow down the pace. Best show ever!

23. Nick says:

Honestly I was expecting something more from Shonda. I mean, Fitz was my first guess since last series finale and throughout the whole summer, exactly for the reason Mellie explained: in his mind, he’s benefiting from this by getting closer to Olivia. No one else had interest in feeding her name to the press… and a secret service guy leaking the name by accident would just be too random for Scandal.
    And here it comes the second reason why I don’t think this episode was among the best: the randomness of this Remington operation. Totally out of the blue. I mean, I understand that a season must have a strong main theme, that the show needs an enemy, or a main concern. But just making up something out of nothing, like they did, seems completely random to me. Not just unexpected (which would be good) but also unreasonable.
    That said, the episode was still ok. Some very strong scenes, like Olivia vs. Dad, Olivia picturing in her mind the press conference, Mellie vs. Fitz and Sally’s resentment towards the male gender. But what about the “fix” they found for the whole Mistressgate… just blaming some other random intern? Seriously? I mean, we had three political monsters, Cyrus, Mellie and Olivia, and we need Harrison to cook up such an easy solution? Isn’t it be obvious that the team of 3 would have gone for that, had they believed it could work? And how about the photo of Fitz walking out of Olivia’s building, are they gonna imply that the poor intern live in that building too? Just a few emails and girly talks about how “doable” the president is… and everybody buys it? If such a girl had really slept with the POTUS she’d for sure either told her friends, or stopped mentioning him.
    Basically, I found the plot pretty weak and stretched, which is extremely unusual for Shonda’s standard. I’m sure things will get better soon.

• woodyinho says:

Completely agree about Remington. It’s just so random!

• Jo says:

The Initiative is behind Remington. The Clarion software will prove it.

• BeBe says:

Is Remington really so random? Didn’t they vaguely mention it last season? I don’t remember th espisode where it was first mentioned. Remember Cyrus confronted Fitz about it, but he truly didn’t know the details. I recall Fitz being somewhat angry that Cyrus asked him about the Remington mission.

I think Remington will be explored in detailed. So not random.

• BriDeSi says:

They made references to Remington all last season so its not so random and the episode set us up for several different storylines to play out all season. Shonda is a genius as usual

• Dark lovely says:

You obviously have not watched the first two seasons. Going back and watching the first two seasons should bring you up to speed. None of this is random.

• Nick says:

Actually, I watched the first two season first time this summer. But I probably don’t remember them as well as you do, and I only watched them once.
        Considering the huge number of commentaries saying they dropped hints about the Remington operation during the whole last season, I gladly admit my mistake. Nonetheless, I’m nice enough not to assume anything about strangers, so please don’t assume anything about me in the future.

24. Pavanne says:

What the hell was up with all the guyliner on Abby and Quinn? Do they have new Drag Queen BFF’s?

• mondaymorning says:

OMG, I thought the same thing. They built a Sephora next to OPA or something, cause all that eye makeup was a mess.

• Angel says:

The eye liner was ridiculous! Especially since they both were wearing it. Had it been one or the other… maybe it wouldn’t have been so bad. I found myself more focused on their make-up mess than what was going on in the scene.

• Barbara Biz says:

So it wasn’t just me. The change in makeup is so terrible. It looks like Abby and Quinn are done as street-walkers, extremely amateurish. What’s going on????? I’ve noticed some waybover-done on Revenge too. It’s sooo distracting and diapointing : (

25. Denny says:

Oh my god. Fitz was the leak, Olivia is now not blamed for the affair, Iran is a whole new mystery, Bleugh. Is this a competition to see just how much you can cram into an hour ?

26. Ange says:

I forgot what a great actor Joe Morton is. His portrayal of Olivia’s dad is epic.

Fitz getting in Millie’s face…the best scene of so many in this overall great episode. This season is going to rock!

27. Maryann says:

I would have given the episode an A+ until the direction of the whole thing turned so abruptly. It felt almost like there was a change of showrunners and they changed their mind about what plotline they were going to follow. In other words, the disappearance of the Olivia-in-trouble-as-mistress plot just disappeared too abruptly or there was not enough air time to cover how it all came about. I know that it was planned this way by Shonda, but it still felt too abrupt, and it felt like the intern as patsy twist would have been better if it had not been jammed into the last few moments, and the jaw dropper reveal about Fitz would have been better if the prior plotline had not been so rushed. It just should have been a two parter instead of one hour;

28. Pati says:

It was so good, the entire episode. The first scene her father is bad ass of course Olivia’s dad was so tough on her, no one else would dare talk to her like that. Everything was perfect, her and Fitz =) I love this show

29. Shunda1177 says:

ABSOLUTELY loved it!! Am I the only one waiting for the Mellie and Olivia cat fight???

30. so135790 says:

That was AWESOME! I can’t wait to see what happens this season:)

31. MLO says:

OMG Guys! Another “I need to find a bathroom” picture of Kerry Washington! Or maybe she’s just a graduate of the Joey Tribiani ‘fart’ school of acting.

• Jules says:

Well then apparently the Tribiani Fart School of acting is giving Kerry her money’s worth. What with the Emmy Nomination and all….

• auntiepaulie says:

Jules, don’t leave out almost every magazine cover known to man. I often wonder why people watch a show where they hate the lead actor, why would I watch a show if I do not like such person. mdr said he/she was never a fan of KW and she ‘remember’ him/her “of a dying fish,ugh” Why watch her show. Yes it’s her show because it is loosely based on an AA woman by the name of Judy Smith, therefore Mellie cannot be the lead. SR can give Mellie a show and those who dislike KW can go fan that show and be happy.

32. Dang! No one is working together here. Fitz is blinded by one thing – love. He’s never had it. Not from his dad, not from his wife and he wants it so so bad, he’s willing to destroy his future for it. Olivia has never had it either, but she’s not willing to ruin everything to get it. Mellie is working towards a fairy tale happy ending that will never happen; and she’s her own worst enemy. Rowan, is trying to protect his daughter from things no one is suppose to know. You can’t protect people from the dark without turning the lights on.

I didn’t imagine Fitz to be the leak, but in the end – it doesn’t surprise me. I can’t wait to see what Shonda has in store for us this season.

33. LaLa says:

OK, OK, OK. First – Fitz?!!!! Totally didn’t see it. Should’ve seen it, but I’ve given up trying to figure out this show. I am just along for the ride.
    Second – Daddy Rowan, you ain’t never lied about being twice as good for half as much. I love this show because, believe it or not, Shonda throws a little bit of truth in there.
    Third – That scene in the bunker . . .
    Fourth – Who the hell films someone peeing?
    Fifth – Fitz and Mellie at war: Fitz – 1, Mellie, 0. She can’t touch Liv for now. Even if Fitz can’t bring Liv into the WH . . . I loved the realization that that wasn’t even his goal – he just wanted to make it so that Mellie couldn’t go after her. Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!
    Sixth – Poor intern, lol.
    Seventh – I think wardrobe made the decision to step Abby’s game up – especially after all the attention Liv’s wardrobe has been getting. I’m OK with it.
    Eighth – I’ll be watching this episode again, because I absolutely know I missed something.
    Ninth – No way Liv’s mom is dead. And you mean to tell me – that NO ONE KNOWS that she’s his daughter? NO ONE? – except Jake.
    Finally, best lines of the night for me?: Hi. Hi.

• Shar says:

LaLa re your fourth question – apparently a lot of people take drunk pix of others peeing – case in point 3 young men were convicted of doing just that on a war memorial in Ottawa, Canada after their ‘friend’ posted it on youtube.

• Dark lovely says:

Ok, what if Fitz is really Olivia’s father…..???? There has to be a twisted reason why Rowan is adamant they can’t be together.

• abz says:

Umm. No. I’m all for coming up with crazy theories, but that one is just ridiculous. Eww. Now you made the thought of her having an affair with her father cross my mind. Just no!!

• Jules says:

Maybe he had an affair with Olivia’s mother when he was just starting out in politics and she went away (fake died) because she was prego with his baby……… Dun dun DUN!!!!!!!!! Harrison. Now that would be JUICY!!

34. mj says:

YES! Finally saw something coming on Scandal! I knew Fitz would be the leak so he had an easy way to “come clean”. Have to say, only one episode into the season and I’m already dying to know what this Remington is all about.

35. I only recently blitzed thru both seasons of this show….thank you Netflix! Was absolutely shocked by the last scene of season 2!!
    Great post…can’t wait for this season!

36. BJ says:

Wow! Fitz was one of my top four that I believed leaked Olivia’s name to the press. So I was right! Unfortunately, I believe Fitz and Jake’s Remington operation had to do with the killing or disappearing of Olivia’s mother. This will definetly be the deal breaker between Fitz and Olivia. Remember, according to recent sources Remington is about Olivia. Fitz was carrying out an operation, without knowing who was involved. Rowan and Cyrus will use this information to control Fitz and ultimately break them up for good. I cannot wait until next week!

37. Aj says:

Now, the episode last night………Emmy Award Winner!

38. BriDeSi says:

Great Episode. Shonda is a genius as usual. Livs Dad has zero manners lol
    Fitz will always be in love with Liv.
    When can we find out that Harrison is Livs half brother?
    Kudos to wardrobe for stepping up Abbys attire. I like her and David
    Quinn cracks me up when shes playing Baby Huck
    Love seeing Mellie get outsmarted. Shes such a good actress. Really makes her part believable
    I die laughing everytime Cyrus has a BF but this time my mouth dropped when the VP told him about himself. The brown baby comment was hilarious (not that I agree with what was said, just that she finally said something back)
    The scene between the VP and Fitz was touching. I think Fitz could see the pain inflicted on a woman when she is cheated on by the one she loves best. Mellies pain is situational and she’s always trying to use it for personal gain so its not the same thing.
    Jake pulled Fitz out of some deep doodoo and if its about Liv then I know she is gonna flip major stuff when she finds out they were both in on something for her past.

• dmac says:

Why is Mellie’s pain so different . All we have ever been shown is Mellie after the affair and not how they were at the beginning of their marriage. I am sorry if my husband was sleeping with his than Secretary (or glorified version) I would be a bitch on wheels as well. I thought she showed she was in a lot of pain in the bunker discussing their affair. Fitz has children with this women and yet he declares war on her on behalf of his mistress…I find it so odd that you feel for the VP but not with Mellie.

• BeBe says:

I actually felt sorry for Mellie in the bunker scene. She was clearly crushed. What do you do when your spouse tells you he is in love with another woman? She could no longer deny that Olivia had what she did not — Fitz’s love.

39. Frankie says:

I knew it! I posted a few days ago it was going to be Fitz! This season is going to be really good!

40. Lisa says:

Can we PLEASE talk about Cyrus grabbing James up in the hallway with an appreciative kiss?!? These two have one of the hottest (and most realistic) relationships on television.

41. stephanie says:

They missed one of the best lines of the night in their compilation –
    “The Lord did not fill out his voter registration card” – Cyrus to Sally in the oval office scene

42. Nita says:

Even tho’ it’s wrong, I believe Fitz’s love for Olivia is real. He’s not just obsessed. Olivia’s dad is a sick, perverted man. He secretly watched a recording of his own daughter having sex with one of his subordinates. I’m not sure if Mellie really loves Fitz, or is she just power hungry? I’m still shocked that Fitz leaked Liv’s name. I’m confused about the reason for that betrayal. Cyrus is going to bust a blood vessel if he doesn’t stop being so dramatic. The gladiators in suits will have to do more to help Olivia. This show is definitely Emmy-worthy. However, I will stop watching it if Fitz and Jake turn out to be past lovers.

43. Shirl says:

I want Jake out of the hole now. This show is getting too violent and dark for me. I would rather just read a recap the next day. Hope you all enjoy the future shows.

44. Ari says:

I seriously need to make a t-shirt that says Gladiators, not B!tches…

45. adam says:

Does anyone feel bad about the innocent girl who got framed for the affair, she didn’t have. I’ve never really liked it when innocent people get blamed for things they didn’t do.

46. Heather says:

I think the guy urinating in the video wasn’t so random…I don’t know why yet but it will come out later in the season I’m sure.

I also think that Phylicia Rashad has already been cast as Olivia’s mom and it just hasn’t been announced yet. Why else would Joe Morton be so specific in that interview he did this week?

• Andrea says:

More Joe Morton! He is always awesome. I absolutely, positively can’t stand Fitz! The Olivia/Fitz thing is so overdone, although I like all of the White House intrigue that always ensues to save Fitz’s butt so his sorry ass can remain President. Remington interests me from that standpoint, and i find the Iran reference to be timely considering Iran is now in the news at the moment. I absolutely agree with Olivia’s dad that she could do far better than Fitz’s FLOTUS. I also don’t think he loves Olivia either. He just likes to play games that involve her. That’s why I love Mellie. She is definitely a power-hungry game player, but at least she’s honest about that, unlike her idiotic husband.

47. Cheryl Q says:

The premier of season three was “CRAZY BANANAS.” Fitz was not even an option for me as the leak. I was leaning more towards Edison or Tom. Even though Tom dropped the crumbs, it was fitz who ordered him to. But don’t worry gladiator fans, liv knows who leaked her name because she is in on it. You have to go back to season 2 episode 22 “white hats back on” and read between the lines during the phone conversation between fitz and olivia. Also listen carefully and watch eye movements and facial expressions during one of the most intricate, intimate profound scene ever in television history: “the BUNKER” shonda keep it coming !!!

48. Dorothy says:

Hi, I’m Dorothy and I’m a Scandalolic. But in saying that I agree with Nick, s3.1 was great but it had some major weaknesses. A bit like a watered down hot cup of latte. The intern spin was a bit ‘eye rolling’ and ‘here we go again kind of thing. The make up change for the female casts was a bit too much and too in your face. Olivia either stumbled into bad lighting but her face looked harsh at times. What happened to the fresh clean look of Abby, Liv and Quinn? Now it just looks dark and harsh. But the biggest ‘oh no you didn’t moment’ was how short sighted Fitz was admitting to Mellie that he leaked Liv’s name! Giving her an even bigger amo to use against Fitz by telling Liv. Clearly Mellie needs a whole square office of her own or she’ll just keep THINKING some more!

49. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add
    to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter
    updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping
    maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I
    look forward to your new updates.

50. Cynthia says:

I’m new to Scandal caught last two episodes and the season three first run. I didn’t feel a need to recap other seasons but my take is it all has to do with Olivia’s mother and yes she will “turn up” lol