NBC Orders Rob Lowe Comedy Pilot The Pro

rob lowe the proParks and Recreation‘s Rob Lowe is leaving Pawnee but not the Peacock.

NBC has given a green light to The Pro, a single-camera comedy pilot that stars Lowe as a former tennis champion who has been reduced to working at a country club.

RELATED | Parks and Rec Boss Clears Air on Rob Lowe’s Exit: ‘There’s No Controversy Involved’

According to Deadline, Pete Huyck and Alex Gregory (The Larry Sanders Show, Frasier) will pen the script, while sitcom vet Todd Holland (Go On, Malcolm in the Middle) is set to direct.

Lowe is poised to depart Parks and Rec around midseason along with co-star Rashida Jones.

1. Zach says:

This is LITERALLY the best news I’ve heard all day.

2. Eric says:

He’ll just leave it after a few seasons anyways… I sound cynical, but I am actually of fan of Lowe’s, and NBC has a pretty good track record with single cam comedies. I’ll tune in.

3. SiMo says:

Interesting storyline , i see the pilot getting a series order

4. Dakota says:

Being a serious tennis player myself, I know all the hilarious story lines possible, of course for some, the show would have to be moved to HBO, “snicker!”

5. Ram510 says:

This has got to be the most original comedy idea NBC has had in quite some time

6. Zach says:

Well I know it sounds crazy, but NBC probably has te eat development slate thus far. Hopefully, this is the year they stop doing broad comedies and family comedies (although I am loving The MJF Show).

7. David says:

Until he gets bored and leaves like every other show he’s been on.

• Cloudy Knight says:

Well, in this case, he’d be the unquestioned star. In West Wing, he was supposed to be the big star, but the show went away from him and towards the President and the rest of the ensemble. In Brothers and Sisters, he was added to the program after it had been on for a while. Same with Parks and Rec.

• liz says:

still doesn’t change the fact that he leaves programs (and fans) high and dry when the mood fits him. I won’t watch anything he’s in because I know I’m going to be disappointed at some point. Its like dating someone who cheats….you know they’re going to do it again, so why go back.

• Zach says:

First of all, he was written out of Parks and Rec. He didn’t choose to leave. Second of all, why would he leave if he’s an EP. He’d make tons of money off this, money he wouldn’t have made on West Wing or B+S.

• neha says:

Yeah, I agree. I think that Rob Lowe still wants to be THE star, and he never was that in TWW, B&S, or Parks and Rec. If this show ends up being a hit, he’ll be the Amy Pohler of the show and he’ll likely stay.

8. theGuy says:

Is this basically Eastbound and Down but with tennis and without a comedy powerhouse like Danny McBride?

• Zach says:

I think your mixed up. Rob Lowe may not be a comedian, but he is really funny. Danny McBride, uh… I don’t see anything funny about him. He’s shrill and obnoxious. I really wanted to like E&B, but couldn’t get into it because of him.