NBC Orders Rob Lowe Comedy Pilot The Pro

Get More: Pilots

rob lowe the proParks and Recreation‘s Rob Lowe is leaving Pawnee but not the Peacock.

NBC has given a green light to The Pro, a single-camera comedy pilot that stars Lowe as a former tennis champion who has been reduced to working at a country club.

RELATED | Parks and Rec Boss Clears Air on Rob Lowe’s Exit: ‘There’s No Controversy Involved’

According to Deadline, Pete Huyck and Alex Gregory (The Larry Sanders Show, Frasier) will pen the script, while sitcom vet Todd Holland (Go On, Malcolm in the Middle) is set to direct.

Lowe is poised to depart Parks and Rec around midseason along with co-star Rashida Jones.

Comments (17)

• This is LITERALLY the best news I’ve heard all day.

Comment by Zach – October 3, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well played. It does sound promising!

Comment by Dillon – October 3, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is LITERALLY the best comment I’ve read all day.

Comment by Ed, Ned and Neddy – October 3, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’ll just leave it after a few seasons anyways… I sound cynical, but I am actually of fan of Lowe’s, and NBC has a pretty good track record with single cam comedies. I’ll tune in.

Comment by Eric – October 3, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting storyline , i see the pilot getting a series order

Comment by SiMo – October 3, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Being a serious tennis player myself, I know all the hilarious story lines possible, of course for some, the show would have to be moved to HBO, “snicker!”

Comment by Dakota – October 3, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has got to be the most original comedy idea NBC has had in quite some time

Comment by Ram510 – October 3, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sounds like a comedy version of woody allen’s match point to me.

Comment by Kris – October 4, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I know it sounds crazy, but NBC probably has te eat development slate thus far. Hopefully, this is the year they stop doing broad comedies and family comedies (although I am loving The MJF Show).

Comment by Zach – October 3, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The best, not te eat. I think that was an autocorrect.

Comment by Zach – October 3, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Until he gets bored and leaves like every other show he’s been on.

Comment by David – October 3, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, in this case, he’d be the unquestioned star. In West Wing, he was supposed to be the big star, but the show went away from him and towards the President and the rest of the ensemble. In Brothers and Sisters, he was added to the program after it had been on for a while. Same with Parks and Rec.

Comment by Cloudy Knight – October 3, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • still doesn’t change the fact that he leaves programs (and fans) high and dry when the mood fits him. I won’t watch anything he’s in because I know I’m going to be disappointed at some point. Its like dating someone who cheats….you know they’re going to do it again, so why go back.

Comment by liz – October 3, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • First of all, he was written out of Parks and Rec. He didn’t choose to leave. Second of all, why would he leave if he’s an EP. He’d make tons of money off this, money he wouldn’t have made on West Wing or B+S.

Comment by Zach – October 3, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I agree. I think that Rob Lowe still wants to be THE star, and he never was that in TWW, B&S, or Parks and Rec. If this show ends up being a hit, he’ll be the Amy Pohler of the show and he’ll likely stay.

Comment by neha – October 4, 2013 01:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this basically Eastbound and Down but with tennis and without a comedy powerhouse like Danny McBride?

Comment by theGuy – October 7, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think your mixed up. Rob Lowe may not be a comedian, but he is really funny. Danny McBride, uh… I don’t see anything funny about him. He’s shrill and obnoxious. I really wanted to like E&B, but couldn’t get into it because of him.

Comment by Zach – December 7, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post