Wilfred Renewed for Fourth and Final Season - But There's a Twist (Hint: It's Moving!)

WilfredWilfred will sit, but it won’t stay.

FX Networks on Wednesday renewed the surreal, canine comedy for a fourth season, which will also be its last.

Though Wilfred now airs on FX, it will move to new sister network FXX for the final, 10-episode run.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

The show’s writer/producers Reed Agnew and Eli Jorné took over as co-showrunners in Season 3, which ended in September. Agnew and Jorné replaced former Wilfred boss David Zuckerman, who stayed with the dark comedy as an executive producer.

Have thoughts on Wilfred‘s renewal/cancellation? Sound off in the comments!

1. Jerry says:

Well at least they have a season to wrap things up. This is one show I’m definitely more interested in the destination than the journey, for better or worse

2. Jo says:

That’s great news for Wifred fans who subscribe to very expensive sports packages (which is what many cable companies have done with FXX due to it replacing Fox Soccer).

3. Patrick says:

This sucks. I have no interest in FXX, but I will have to buy it to watch these shows.

Oh, wait, no I won’t. I will download it, free, on line.

4. Olive says:

So, the twist isn’t they’re going to split the final fourth season so 5 episodes play in 2014 and another 5 play in 2015?

5. JWB says:

I loved the first season and the second season was ok. The third season was so so and the ending was rather dark. I’m glad they get to wrap things up.

6. TV God says:

I’ve been following since the beginning, and I am glad they get to wrap everything up. I wish it was 11 episodes, so they could reach 50 episodes.

7. Tom Charles says:

Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster! I was so nervous it wouldn’t get renewed when I saw the numbers. But this is the best scenario.

8. ME says:

Nooooo don’t take away my Wilfred!!! Please continue making the episodes.

9. rachelle says:

Ending after just 4 seasons??? Kill me. I love this show! This news makes me pretty sad.

10. Dave says:

Sad it’s going to end after just 4 seasons, I really like this show! But at least it will get a proper conclusion since the ending is planned in advance. Looking forward to the final set of episodes.

11. Bob Smith 007 says:

Ten years from now, these 49 shows will be classics, watched over and over and adored by new generations that wonder, “Why the heck did they only make four seasons?”

12. TT says:

One of the worst shows on television, woof.

13. Sam Reneberg says:

Nooooo!!!!! This is such a well written comedy that keeps you guessing each week. Truly ahead of its time!

14. Amy Jonestone says:

Love this show, wish it wasn’t canceled!

15. Cath says:

I got scared there for a second and thought Season 3 was it. At least I finally get to know what Wilfred is…or will I?

16. Joe says:

I am so terribly sad to read about this now, did a search for season 4 and just wanted to see when the new season was going to be out. I never thought they would cancel Wilfred I mean Elijah Wood is bloody brilliant in the show and I thought the show was striving. Damn my blatant ignorance… Oh well agree with everyone else atleast they will be able to wrap it up after a great series. If anyone needs more Wilfred I highly suggest downloading the original off of your preferred bittorrent. It has some different elements such as other animals that are humans in costume and Wilfred’s relationship with Bear. Wilfred was a truly a marvel and I hate to see it go but let’s hope the last season gives us something to cheer about.

17. twinjodi says:

No! No! No!…this is my favorite show :( im glad it gets to premier a new season but it cant be its last. This show always made my day. It was one of the main reasons I watched television. Im very upset. Hopefully more will be explained…Wilfreds legacy will always live on!

18. jess says:

WHY is Wilfred being cancelled??? I didn’t expect this, I just wanted to see when the new season would start. Wow, please no :(( WHYyYy?? Wilfred has been brilliant!!

• jared says:

You may have found this out already, but that article headline was very misleading. The show was never “cancelled”, simply moved over to FXX, the FX network’s new comedy-centric channel. And the original series (in Australia) was 4 seasons, so I think we’ve been over-reaching to expect the creator (who did the original, as well) to do a longer show just for American audiences. I can’t wait for the new season and to hopefully get some real answers, and hope this was at least a bit of an uplift for you!

19. matthew says:

Watch the australian original version. soo much funnier

20. I think that it is ok that they are ending it, too often classic shows like this are ruined by going on too long

21. are_we_hvn_fun_yet says:

Ah, its a shame that shows like this cant go on forever, but if they did it would just spawn dependencies that arent healthy. The ability to adapt is what defines us as human beings. I hate to see Wilfred go, but I have the happiness he brought me and the optimism to look forward to the next great show.

22. nick says:

Glad to know there’s another season, sad to hear its the last :(

23. Tyler says:

Man I loved this show it’s so dynamic.

24. Jessica says:

Wilfred is my absolute favorite show! So sad that it is ending so soon.

25. Logan says:

Absolutely hilarious show, sad it’s ending. They shouldn’t base their decisions solely on ratings a lot of people just watch it free online or on netflix.

26. frank says:

So what exactly is the twist???

27. Kayleigh says:

I can’t believe it’s ending it’s my FAV show ever I just love it FX finally did something right and they are going to let it go?

28. Peter Schmidt says:

I LOVED The US Version of Wilfred (Not saying that the UK one was bad, but I like the Dynamic between Jason Gann & Elijah Wood. I do have an affinity for Elijah, Lol). It is a little saddening to hear that this will be the final season, I do have to agree somewhat with what the others said; You don’t want Wilfred overstaying his welcome, but I feel they could still do like 2 more good seasons after this one. The show was SO deep with their little quotes that had to do with the overall plot of each episode. I truly feel that the show made me learn some rather valuable life lessons… Like how to make a bong out of a Gatorade bottle. Jk jk it REALLY did give my many moments of reflection, but at the end of the day I am just happy that they are getting to wrap it up and not leaving it forever canceled with the rest of the Television greats! (Oh Firefly, you are still mourned every day) No onthe side of me that is a HUGE fan, what I’d LOVE to see is a Wilfred MOVIE where they go on ONE FINAL JOURNY to find out who/what Wilfred really is.

29. MarkD says:

Who was that person that commented that Wilfred is a terrible show? Was that the TT from Reno 911?

30. Dan Young says:

Gutted! Love this show! Not like anything else on the tele.

31. Paige says:

Freaking love this show and I’m highly irritated it’s being canceled. One of the only shows I like Bc I don’t watch very much tv. Ugh!!!

32. Vamp says:

I am bummed it only has one more season and it’s moving to a channel I don’t get on Dish Network with my package. Why would they move it to another channel ? I hate when networks do this to get more money out of you. I will just watch for it and see if I can find it online.

33. mike says:

Great show. Eliia marries Jenna in the final episode

34. Bruce says:

I will miss this show dearly. Growing up with Calvin & hobbes, this was the adult/mature version of that same relationship. Most original idea on television in a long while.

35. Marco says:

I miss wilfred

36. Johnny appleseed says:

I disagree I’m way more interested in the journey, they could have easily kept this going for a few more seasons and it still would’ve been just as good, however I am excited to see where the show ends up,but still disappointed that it’s going to end.

37. Jacob says:

I was happy to see “Wilfred episode 1 of season 4″ while surfing the web but upon doing some research it hurts me to see it’s the final season. Wilfred is the best stoner show ever man they could have atleast gone up to season 6 before laying themselves to rest.. Damn

38. Scotty Carringer says:

They should not cancle is show,It is funny and full of story..the fact that there actually cancling sucks but its true. To me it is one of the funniest show’s on FX and I hope 1 day they will restart the show back up. The show had a good run and I had a great time watching it and also hope to see it restart again some day. But 6 words sums it up. They Should NOT cancel this show

39. Javier says:

Season 3 ended with too many variables to solve the question. The show could easily go on for another season maybe even two. It seems like it finished in a hurry as if someone said OK next season is the last wrap it up. And the writers were rushed. Finish it right. It was a marvelous show.. Wilfred season four. Let’s see it.

40. Lauren says:

so sad:( miss you wilfyy

41. rich putz 2nd says:

Why the hell would u cancel such a good show.funny as hell makes me think what would I do if I could get stoned and drink beers with my dog.hahaha

42. Name says:

It’s not cancelled, they told the story they needed to tell and they’re wrapping it up nicely. Shows get cancelled all the time, Wilfred’s story has been told. It had a very clear direction and end in sight:Ryan is in a bad place, starts seeing Wilfred the man/dog and wants to figure out why. My Name Is Earl….now THAT got cancelled…last episode was “To be continued….” NOT.

43. name@gmail.com says:

It’s not being cancelled, it’s being finished. This show had a very clear direction to it, it’s not something that needs to continue on forever. I thoroughly enjoy it and I’m glad to see it get wrapped up. Plenty of shows these days are cancelled with no resolve, look at “My Name Is Earl” that ended with “To be continued…” NOT. Then, there are shows that should have been cancelled a long time ago….*cough* It’s Always Sunny *cough* Dexter wasn’t cancelled, Breaking Bad wasn’t cancelled…they had stories to tell and they were told.

44. Steven says:

I think Wilfred is one of the best shows and it needs a way to keep going. I think it’s great there’s going to be another season but why stop there?

45. Rece says:

It’s very rare for me to find a favorite. Unfortunately, when I finally do, it ends up being one of the shortest series :( I wish I was as big of a fan of the Simpsons as much as I am of Wilfred, that shows been on the air forever! (The Simpsons that is). Time to put aside a day to browse Netflix for hours on end to find a new series to unwind to (Never even heard of Wilfred until Netflix – I hate how they decide a show’s fate based on the channel views – stupid FX). Anyone have suggestions on other series I should give a try? If so please share. Things on TV don’t keep my attention as much anymore; very little thought put into things nowadays.. Unlike Wilfred: Truly a gem, was guaranteed a teary-eyed laugh each episode. Not to mention, the mind games were genius haha. Totally looking forward to the wrap-up season. Dying for all of these questions to be answered…But I’m still not happy it’s almost over. Hmph.