Wilfred Renewed for Fourth and Final Season – But There's a Twist (Hint: It's Moving!)

Get More: Cancellations, News

WilfredWilfred will sit, but it won’t stay.

FX Networks on Wednesday renewed the surreal, canine comedy for a fourth season, which will also be its last.

Though Wilfred now airs on FX, it will move to new sister network FXX for the final, 10-episode run.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

The show’s writer/producers Reed Agnew and Eli Jorné took over as co-showrunners in Season 3, which ended in September. Agnew and Jorné replaced former Wilfred boss David Zuckerman, who stayed with the dark comedy as an executive producer.

Have thoughts on Wilfred‘s renewal/cancellation? Sound off in the comments!

Tags: , ,

Comments (47)

• Well at least they have a season to wrap things up. This is one show I’m definitely more interested in the destination than the journey, for better or worse

Comment by Jerry – October 2, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed but I’m still dissapointed. It’s gotten so funny this season, I was hoping for at least another 2 :(

Comment by Elly – October 2, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s great news for Wifred fans who subscribe to very expensive sports packages (which is what many cable companies have done with FXX due to it replacing Fox Soccer).

Comment by Jo – October 2, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have a pretty basic cable setup and I get fxx.

Comment by DV – October 2, 2013 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks. I have no interest in FXX, but I will have to buy it to watch these shows.

Oh, wait, no I won’t. I will download it, free, on line.

Comment by Patrick – October 2, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, the twist isn’t they’re going to split the final fourth season so 5 episodes play in 2014 and another 5 play in 2015?

Comment by Olive – October 2, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is bittersweet. Glad it was renewed, but the final season part is a bummer. Still, I’m glad they were given a chance to wrap things up.

Comment by Eric – October 2, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Didn’t mean to reply to the post; rather, I wanted to make my own independent comment. Don’t waste time trying to figure out how these comments are connected! :P

Comment by Eric – October 2, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just like breaking bad it would not surprise me you Americans and your no money left love the show aussie one was better make another season of the Australian one

Comment by marv – April 9, 2014 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the first season and the second season was ok. The third season was so so and the ending was rather dark. I’m glad they get to wrap things up.

Comment by JWB – October 2, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I think it’s a perfect time to wrap it all up. Any longer and Wilfred will have overstayed his welcome.

Comment by Mel – October 3, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • its a dark comedy, thats the whole basis of the show. even back in the Australian version

Comment by king tony – December 23, 2013 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been following since the beginning, and I am glad they get to wrap everything up. I wish it was 11 episodes, so they could reach 50 episodes.

Comment by TV God – October 2, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster! I was so nervous it wouldn’t get renewed when I saw the numbers. But this is the best scenario.

Comment by Tom Charles – October 2, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo don’t take away my Wilfred!!! Please continue making the episodes.

Comment by ME – October 2, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ending after just 4 seasons??? Kill me. I love this show! This news makes me pretty sad.

Comment by rachelle – October 2, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad it’s going to end after just 4 seasons, I really like this show! But at least it will get a proper conclusion since the ending is planned in advance. Looking forward to the final set of episodes.

Comment by Dave – October 2, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ten years from now, these 49 shows will be classics, watched over and over and adored by new generations that wonder, “Why the heck did they only make four seasons?”

Comment by Bob Smith 007 – October 3, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol on what planet?

Comment by Bill – October 3, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the worst shows on television, woof.

Comment by TT – October 3, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You smokin crack son

Comment by one who knows – October 5, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo!!!!! This is such a well written comedy that keeps you guessing each week. Truly ahead of its time!

Comment by Sam Reneberg – October 17, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show, wish it wasn’t canceled!

Comment by Amy Jonestone – October 28, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I got scared there for a second and thought Season 3 was it. At least I finally get to know what Wilfred is…or will I?

Comment by Cath – October 28, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so terribly sad to read about this now, did a search for season 4 and just wanted to see when the new season was going to be out. I never thought they would cancel Wilfred I mean Elijah Wood is bloody brilliant in the show and I thought the show was striving. Damn my blatant ignorance… Oh well agree with everyone else atleast they will be able to wrap it up after a great series. If anyone needs more Wilfred I highly suggest downloading the original off of your preferred bittorrent. It has some different elements such as other animals that are humans in costume and Wilfred’s relationship with Bear. Wilfred was a truly a marvel and I hate to see it go but let’s hope the last season gives us something to cheer about.

Comment by Joe – November 6, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it was a great tv program to get stoned to, going to be a classic

Comment by steve – November 14, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No! No! No!…this is my favorite show :( im glad it gets to premier a new season but it cant be its last. This show always made my day. It was one of the main reasons I watched television. Im very upset. Hopefully more will be explained…Wilfreds legacy will always live on!

Comment by twinjodi – November 23, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY is Wilfred being cancelled??? I didn’t expect this, I just wanted to see when the new season would start. Wow, please no :(( WHYyYy?? Wilfred has been brilliant!!

Comment by jess – November 23, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You may have found this out already, but that article headline was very misleading. The show was never “cancelled”, simply moved over to FXX, the FX network’s new comedy-centric channel. And the original series (in Australia) was 4 seasons, so I think we’ve been over-reaching to expect the creator (who did the original, as well) to do a longer show just for American audiences. I can’t wait for the new season and to hopefully get some real answers, and hope this was at least a bit of an uplift for you!

Comment by jared – April 24, 2014 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m pretty sure it’s cancelled as I just saw a commercial for “the last season of Wilfred” on FXX.

Comment by Melissa – April 24, 2014 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch the australian original version. soo much funnier

Comment by matthew – November 28, 2013 02:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its got the same actor (jason Gann) as wilfred

Comment by Jeff – November 28, 2013 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that it is ok that they are ending it, too often classic shows like this are ruined by going on too long

Comment by Tomás Gormley – November 28, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, its a shame that shows like this cant go on forever, but if they did it would just spawn dependencies that arent healthy. The ability to adapt is what defines us as human beings. I hate to see Wilfred go, but I have the happiness he brought me and the optimism to look forward to the next great show.

Comment by are_we_hvn_fun_yet – December 9, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to know there’s another season, sad to hear its the last :(

Comment by nick – December 11, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man I loved this show it’s so dynamic.

Comment by Tyler – December 21, 2013 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wilfred is my absolute favorite show! So sad that it is ending so soon.

Comment by Jessica – December 30, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely hilarious show, sad it’s ending. They shouldn’t base their decisions solely on ratings a lot of people just watch it free online or on netflix.

Comment by Logan – January 14, 2014 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what exactly is the twist???

Comment by frank – February 6, 2014 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe it’s ending it’s my FAV show ever I just love it FX finally did something right and they are going to let it go?

Comment by Kayleigh – February 22, 2014 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED The US Version of Wilfred (Not saying that the UK one was bad, but I like the Dynamic between Jason Gann & Elijah Wood. I do have an affinity for Elijah, Lol). It is a little saddening to hear that this will be the final season, I do have to agree somewhat with what the others said; You don’t want Wilfred overstaying his welcome, but I feel they could still do like 2 more good seasons after this one. The show was SO deep with their little quotes that had to do with the overall plot of each episode. I truly feel that the show made me learn some rather valuable life lessons… Like how to make a bong out of a Gatorade bottle. Jk jk it REALLY did give my many moments of reflection, but at the end of the day I am just happy that they are getting to wrap it up and not leaving it forever canceled with the rest of the Television greats! (Oh Firefly, you are still mourned every day) No onthe side of me that is a HUGE fan, what I’d LOVE to see is a Wilfred MOVIE where they go on ONE FINAL JOURNY to find out who/what Wilfred really is.

Comment by Peter Schmidt – February 27, 2014 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s Australian, not from the UK!

Comment by Tahnee – March 3, 2014 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who was that person that commented that Wilfred is a terrible show? Was that the TT from Reno 911?

Comment by MarkD – March 28, 2014 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gutted! Love this show! Not like anything else on the tele.

Comment by Dan Young – April 1, 2014 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freaking love this show and I’m highly irritated it’s being canceled. One of the only shows I like Bc I don’t watch very much tv. Ugh!!!

Comment by Paige – April 4, 2014 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am bummed it only has one more season and it’s moving to a channel I don’t get on Dish Network with my package. Why would they move it to another channel ? I hate when networks do this to get more money out of you. I will just watch for it and see if I can find it online.

Comment by Vamp – April 17, 2014 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post