The X Factor Recap: Chair Today, Gone Tomorrow

X Factor Lillie McCloud Four Chair ChallengeShe was just a girl, standing in front of a reality singing competition panel, asking them to love* her.

Unfortunately, said girl (though American) was not Julia Roberts, the boy member of said panel (though British) was not Hugh Grant, and the story wasn’t a Hollywood romcom with a guaranteed happy ending.

Nope, this was The X Factor‘s controversial new “Four Chair Challenge.” And for poor, desperate Allison Davis — and six other contestants like her — the literal and proverbial chair got pulled out from under her “Over 25″ ass, leaving her to land with a thud on a hard bed of crumbled, compressed dreams and bitter tears.

(*Love, of course, is a $1 million contract and a major-label record deal. I can’t believe you don’t know that by now! Sheesh.)

For the uninitiated, a little bit of background on the Four Chair Challenge: Instead of the Boot Camp and Judges’ Houses rounds we saw in Seasons 1 and 2, Simon Cowell & Co. decided on a new format in which the 10 remaining contestants in each category perform in front of a live audience — one at a time — then either get sent to a “chair of safety” or get eliminated on the spot. The twist? Even contestants who score chairs aren’t guaranteed a Live Round berth — not until the final act from his or her category has performed, and the mentor has made the final “either, or” call.

With that in mind, let’s look at how the night played out.

OVER 25s (KELLY ROWLAND)
Eliminated (in chronological order)
Kristine Mirelle, “Oops!…I Did It Again” | Grade: B
Not a flawless vocal, but her slowed-down twist on Britney’s earworm jam at least showed some creativity. (Her outfit of shredded jeans and red lycra tank, however, was atroshe.)

Allison Davis, “Tik Tok”/”Push It” | Grade: F
I’m just gonna quote my friend Mitch, who reluctantly kept me company during tonight’s episode: “This is tragedy times 10.”

Victoria Carriger, “To Make You Feel My Love” | Grade: B-
Sad-eyed mother of eight — with very unfortunate mini-pigtail hairstyle — showed an appealing rasp and tenderness on Bob Dylan’s ballad, but Demi was right – the energy wasn’t really there.

Denny “Santa Claus” Smith, “In the Midnight Hour” | Grade: D+
Too many of this Oldie Olsen’s notes were flatter than a penny on a railroad track. I suspect this Kris Kringle lookalike was put through only so Mario could feign cleverness with his “Are you gonna be naughty or nice?” query to Kelly. (Ugh. #IMissKhloeKardashian)

Jeff Brinkman, Usher’s “Without You” | Grade: C+ The guy definitely had a Michael Bolton-y grit in his voice that made for extremely easy listening. But Demi’s point that she found herself rearranging her papers on the judges table was apt — there just wasn’t enough charisma on display to think Jeff had any chance of winning the whole enchilada. Plus, that heinous bun on the top of his mop of hair was the worst TV coiff decision since Felicity chopped her locks back in 1999.

Lorie Moore, “I’ll Make Love to You” | Grade: B No doubt, the former pro female football leaguer has pipes, but if you’ve only got one shot — as Eminem puts it — are you really gonna sing a cringe-inducing Boyz II Men ballad? If I were in Kelly’s shoes, I’d probably have put Lorie in the Top 4 from the Over 25s, but not with any confidence that she’d have had a real shot at the crown.

THROUGH TO THE LIVE SHOWS
Jeff Gutt, “Amazing Grace” | Grade: B- Last season’s Boot Camp reject infused his Gospel classic with passion — and I am going on a Google hunt for his black jacket with white vertical-striped sleeves as soon as this recap posts — but I felt like the second verse veered so far off the melody that I wasn’t certain how sweet the sound actually was, y’know?

Rachel Potter, “Irreplaceable” | Grade: C+ Loved the creativity of countrifying Beyoncé — at least until Rachel’s upper-register runs proved as pleasant as banging one’s head on a kitchen cabinet. Yes, girlfriend’s audition was insanely good — and the Broadway vet is probably better than her “Four Chair Challenge” number indicates — but I don’t like any contestant to publicly announce her sickness on live TV. As Tyra Banks once said on Top Model, even if you’re about to faint, you climb on that elephant and smize like your life depends on it.

James Kenney, “Lean on Me” | Grade: A- His audition was kind of a mess — for me, for you** — but damn, he really brought a lifetime of pain and struggle to this ditty. Like Simon said, his “Lean on Me” was very different than anything that came before it — and also, quite fantastic. (**That’s the ghost of Randy Jackson at work. And yes, the apology is implied.)

Lillie McCloud, “A House Is Not a Home” | Grade: A+ I don’t care if the lady is a ringer – did you know her name prior to her X Factor audition? And let’s be real: Her Luther Vandross cover brimmed with authenticity, emotion and pitch perfection. She’s the whole reason for tuning in this season, as far as I’m concerned.

GIRLS (DEMI LOVATO)
SENT TO THE CHAIRS (FOR NOW) (I’ll discuss these chicas at further length in tomorrow night’s recap, when their category is finalized)
Bree Randall, “Glad You Came” | Grade: D
Khaya Cohen, “Locked Out of Heaven” | Grade: B
Jamie Pineda, “Don’t Speak” | Grade: B+
Ashly Williams, “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” | Grade: B

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think othe “Four Chair Challenge”? Who were your favorites? Did you disagree with any of the judges’ decisions or opinions? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (80)

• (Ugh. #IMissKhloeKardashian)- I think you’re alone in that comment

Comment by Johnny – October 2, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There something really kind of pitiful about watching Simon and his X Factor flame out so miserably. Knowing that guy’s ego, this has got to be really painful for him to have fallen out of favor so dramatically.

Comment by Lumplestilskin – October 2, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My favorite part of tonight’s show was this Simon quote… “This is why I would never do a show with an age cap.” Um… you mean like the 9 years you did on American Idol, which caps at 29? Where I come from, “never” means “not ever,” not “not since 2009.” haha

Comment by Whitney – October 2, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m pretty sure Simon means that he would never create and/or executive produce such a show.

Comment by MC – October 2, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • good call….I said the very same thing (out loud) when he said that!

Comment by Eva Krejci – October 3, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He didn’t control AI. XFactor he controls. There is your explanation. (and he also saw how Susan Boyle did)

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am amazed with Kelly Roland that she didn’t listen to the comments from her co judges and she picked all the people that said, after the fact, that they would work hard and do better, etc., etc., and she gave them a chair even tho they sang lousy thus sending her best singers. home…not one of her singers will win – so what does that make Kelly? A loser!!! There’s something wrong with her hearing.

Comment by Leslie C. – October 2, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please refer back to her UK season before you claim she has bad hearing.

Comment by Kaba – October 2, 2013 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kelly is an extremely dumb judge, I think she has real Nicole Scherzinger potential to make some very disastrous decisions.

Comment by matt – October 2, 2013 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • …Nicole worthy mistakes?
          She’s a good judge :/

Comment by Kaba – October 2, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I have absolutely nothing but faith in Kelly as a judge considering I’ve already seen what she is capable of.
          Misha B, Amelia Lily, and Janet Devlin were wonderful on the UK.
          Sooo…sorry if you guys didn’t enjoy that she evidently had presets, but quite frankly the fact that you all believe they don’t go into the show with some favorites is laughable.

Comment by Kaba – October 2, 2013 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She chose Sophie instead of Amelia Lily, didn’t she?

Comment by Lili – October 3, 2013 02:55 AM PDT
          • No, she chose Amelia and she got 3rd place last I checked

Comment by Kaba – October 3, 2013 05:13 AM PDT
          • No she chose Sophie who got eliminated after a few weeks. The show let viewers vote for which first-eliminated contestant they wanted back, and they overwhelmingly voted back in Amelia who started mid-way into the competition.

Comment by mak – October 3, 2013 02:54 PM PDT
        • I was questioning her decision to keep in Rachel Potter but when you think about it Lorie and Lillie would have split votes. At least with Rachel there is a strong chance she will be able to garner her own voting block.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – October 3, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Completely disagree. I wouldn’t have swapped Jeff B in for Victoria, but she mostly seemed to do that by following the others once and it didn’t matter anyway since both would be goners anyway. And I can’t argue anything else she did other than maybe Lorie seemed to have a bit more potential to me than Jeff G. (although I knew there was no way Jeff G. was going to be sent home this time and I guess he does keep things a bit different and a bit more diverse in style).
        Yeah Rachel had a little bit of a weak night, but man she just has soooo much potential in her that I really can’t remotely agree with anyone saying that she didn’t belong. You can’t just totally forget the auditions and the overall potential you see, that would be foolish.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mario is a robot. At least Khloe had a hint of personality.

Comment by Timmah – October 2, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • -There is a flaw in this whole 4 chair thing, well, there is a flaw in X Factor altogether, but the big flaw is that why would the judges EVER get rid of the first 4 contestants that sing. They would never do that. Their first ‘big’ moves are after the 5th person sings. They wouldn’t eliminate someone they think maybe doesn’t deserve it in case the rest of the people are worse. The fact that they pretend that there is any drama in the fact that those first 4 might not get a chair is completly laughable.

-This show is so bad, these contestants are really not good at all, not a lot redeeming about the show. I’m trying, but I’m looking and can’t find a reason to not fast forward through most of the show.

Comment by Stacie – October 2, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking this early in the show. Then a couple people got seats who really should have just been sent home even though there were still empty seats. With more than 6 people left to sing, there was no way there was not going to be a better performer. Maybe Simon will be the one judge that sends people home before all 4 seats are filled.

Comment by tealeaves – October 2, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched the 4 chair thing in horror the whole way through, the contestants who made it through had a look of dread (and in the case of the white dude over 25 on the right, mortal terror with a vacant wide eyed stare every time the camera panned to him.)

Bad twist. The new twist with the voice was a massive improvement, they had those horrible death matches, but then they could save the good ones, it was a step forwards out of darkness, this is a move back into the pits of hell.

Xfactor, closer to hell.

Comment by Ty – October 2, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. If TikTok Allison was the first four who sang, she would gotten a seat too. Wonder how the order to sing was determined.

Comment by BillyBob – October 3, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel really screwed up with the latter half of her performance. While I agree with the other three advancing, I don’t agree with Rachel advancing.

Comment by EVPandHC – October 2, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And I think the credit for the creativity of the country version of Beyonce’s song goes to Sugarland. I have a disc from a concert they did like 5 years ago, where they sang that song.

There’s something about her that I just don’t like. I think it’s her attitude. She came in with negativity and excuses to her audition. The whole “how can I compete with a 15 year old” thing she had going.

Comment by Crystal – October 3, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, I thought of that too. They even performed it one awards show. CMA maybe?

Comment by JON – October 4, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No way. TOTALLY disagree. She has soooooo much potential and did so amazingly well last time there is just no way you could send her home. I mean would you be the person who released Joe Montana from the team if say he had had a bad first game to start his second season? You’d have gone down in history as having been insanely wrong!
      The only question for me is perhaps you keep Leslie instead of Jeff G. A tricky call.
      I really wish it had been top five, because Kelly’s top five all totally deserved to go through and were clearly the correct top five.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the heck Slezak! No X-Factor on Reality Check?! You best fix that.

Comment by Macayla – October 2, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? This show sucks compared to The Voice.

Comment by Timmah – October 2, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think this format on X Factor is fair. Each judge should put a couple of people on the chairs & then have the show move to another judge. This way Simon gets to see everyone first.

Comment by SueinTucson – October 2, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I am in the minority but I enjoyed tonight’s episode. I like the 4 chair challenge. I don’t get that everyone is saying it is cruel. People get eliminated all the time on these shows. How is this different than the battle rounds on The Voice. Okay they do have a shot at getting picked up by another mentor but the reality is when they are eliminated they are eliminated. This is certainly not worse than Hollywood week on Idol which is total torture. People passing out and vomiting all over the place. I just think the X factor has had a bad rap and no matter what they do people are going to hate it. This is different than anything we’ve seen before. Give it a chance. I know I wasn’t bored through the whole show and they do have some good talent this year. I like it way more than I did last year.

Comment by MB – October 2, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! I enjoyed it last year, but this year is so much better. I love Kelly as a judge; she’s so much more useful than Britney ever was. Haters are gonna hate but this show is solid. I watched American Idol for the first 10 seasons and it grew tiresome. The X Factor keeps changing and I like that there is no age limit because they discover people like Lillie McLoud who is incredible. American Idol can’t do the same because they keep it to people under 30. Also, I loved Simon’s little dig at AI.

Comment by Jillian – October 2, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, MB. Until tonight’s show, this season of the X-Factor pretty-much sucked, but the 4-chair method of elimination turned it around. I cannot imagine a fairer and clearer way to reduce one’s team from 10 to 4. Yes, unless one of them is actually bad, the first four singers on each team are likely to get a chair, but the six singers to follow are sure to change that.
      The “judge’s homes” of earlier seasons was so transparently fake, I couldn’t stand the concept. Why didn’t they just call it “homes cheap to rent for a few days in a down market”? I guess that’s a little long, but it would have been better than being lied to on a “reality show”.
      I agree with the others that Rachel of the over-25s should have been sent packing. She may have indeed been sick and have great potential, but on that evening she was out-sung by just about everyone but “Santa Claus”.

Comment by rwfblog – October 2, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you, I loved the 4 chair challenge. I was not bored at all and I was having as much trouble as Kelly was having. This was fun!! Not for the contestants, but for those watching or at least for me. I really can’t wait to see all the others do their 4 chair challenge especially the groups since they are the ones we’ve seen the least of. I am enjoying X Factor a lot this year.

Comment by Lana – October 2, 2013 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well I beg to differ. It was pure torture for the contestants having to sit in those seats and wonder if they will be sent packing. You might find it enjoyable to see fear in their eyes but I do not find it entertaining. Lets be real, a few should not have been given a chair in the first place and to prolong the agony was cruel. I believe Simon is a sadist anyhow so he would find this fun.

Comment by Mary – October 3, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • These are the more mature over 25′s. Wait till you seen tonights teen girls fear, bawling, begging and breakdowns…. it’s going to be BEAUTIFUL!

Comment by BillyBob – October 3, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No thanks won’t be watching.

Comment by Mary – October 3, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the old way better. I liked seeing the judges’ houses. I liked having a singer/celeb with each judge to help make the decision and to create more nerves for the performer to overcome. I liked seeing the other contestants looking out the window and freaking out over everyone else’s performance. This is just so boring in comparison. I can’t believe they thought this chair thing would be an improvement over all that, or are they just cheaping out? I’m trying to be open-minded, but I feel like the show is going from bad to worse. Getting rid of Khloe and keeping Mario? And the talent does not seem as good this year, although Lillie does seem very good. I wanted to send most everybody home.

Comment by dj – October 2, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed tonight’s show. I love that there is a live audience there to boo terrible decisions. Kelly should have let Rachel go. She was one of the worst of the night and everyone knows it. I don’t care if she has Carly Rae’s hairdo. If they are going to cut down the field like this, they need to consider going off script when someone falters so bad. She should have been booted for the football player who sang well and gave an awesome speech. It would have made for much better TV.

Comment by tealeaves – October 2, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found it laughably tragic how many people in the audience were booing Rachel and begging Kelly to send her home. You know Rachel saw the sea of hands holding up the number 4 because she looked flat out dejected every time. I think Kelly played a smart game – spreading her 4 picks out to cover multiple demographics and styles – but Miss Potter is not off to a very good start with the voting audience…

Comment by Whitney – October 2, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad she kept Rachel. She has a great voice when not sick. But what really make me happy was the way Kelly went with her gut when the audience dissed her. And, there is a BIG difference between the VOTING audience and the house full of idiots in the taping. Those dolts wanted Santa to stay…. nuff said.

Comment by Greg Cantin – October 3, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With the audience yelling and holding hands with the number four…. I thought I was watching The Price is Right.

Comment by BillyBob – October 3, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kelly kept Rachel because the first cut on the live shows is normally the judges cutting their acts from 4 to 3 then the voting rounds start, so Kelly just kept her as fodder so she wouldn’t have to get rid of the 3 she was sure of.

Comment by Shawn – October 3, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was extremely disappointed that Rachel from over 25 made it to the live show. I’m pretty happy with Kelly’s decision with Lillie and James! I guess there will be fewer people I will vote for in this category. As for Demi, I can’t believe she kept that first girl who I believe sucks. But she is not done yet do I guess we will see what decision she makes tomorrow. Btw on a side notue I love Mario as the host. Way better than Ryan seacrest on idol and better than khloe.
    P.s but did anyone notice how Paulina was skipped over when the contestants were done singing when it came the judges comments? I don’t know about u but can the other judges let her talk and share her opinions too! She is a success in the Latino community. Thank u lol

Comment by Liz – October 2, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps they skipped over Paulina because she doesn’t seem to offer anything unique in her opinions.

Comment by LB – October 2, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She makes Paula Abdul sound like William F. Buckley.

Comment by Timmah – October 2, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Kelly is better than Britney, but shockingly Paulia is worse than L.A Reid. Now L.A Reid wasn’t very good, and was pretty terrible at a lot of points, but at least he argued a little with Simon and was something, Paulina doesn’t say really anything or provide anything entertaining. Bad choice by Simon et al to pick Paulina for that 4th position.

Comment by Stacie – October 2, 2013 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Paulina is worst than Brit. At least you can understand Brit. Paulina can’t even speak English. Might as well put a mannequin in her seat. She brings or adds nothing to the show. Epic FAIL for Simon to pick her. Also, she acts like a diva wearing sunglasses and gloves, when no one knows who she is in the US.

Comment by BillyBob – October 3, 2013 11:50 AM PDT
        • That was the funniest thing I’ve read today.

Comment by Maria – October 3, 2013 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can’t understand a word she says so they may as well skip over her. heh

Comment by bess – October 2, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, she generally tries to kiss up to simon- I guess she’s reminded who signs her check.

Comment by Joyce Ntow – December 12, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Paulina may be known in the Latino community, but the rest of the US have NO clue to this person. She brings nothing to the show. Maybe her comments were edited out, since she just repeats what Demi or Kelly has already commented. She adds nothing to the show.

Comment by BillyBob – October 3, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely the worst X factor show ever. Kelly had her 4 pre determined. The judges do not seem capable of criticizing in an intelligent manner.Paulina’s first words are, “I agree with what . . . says” Demis first contestant bored me. She had no star quality. She had no originality. When Demi put gave her a chair, I shut the television off. The show is no longer a reality show. It is 2 hours of manipulation. When Mario Lopez is the best thing about a television show, it is time to say good bye. I watch X Factor UK, Australia and New Zealand, They do not torture us with sad background stories. They have judges that know what they are talking about. They are willing to constructively criticize. They show mostly talented singers performing and then tell us what they did well and did not. What a novel idea for a singing competition. Sad.

Comment by Alan Dvorkis – October 2, 2013 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Paulina is useless on the panel. She brings absolutely NOTHING. It’s just like having an empty seat.

Comment by BillyBob – October 3, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the 4 chair concept although it really doesn’t make a difference until contestant 5. She shouldn’t have sent Lorie home though.

Comment by David – October 3, 2013 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact that this new 4 chair challenge was nicely tied up in 2 quick episodes at 2 hrs in UK is how the show should be here in USA! It is scheduled for what appears to be 4 eps. and 6 hrs in USA speaks to how poor this show is produced, they cares little about the fans they have left!! No one needs further bloated horrendous long puff pieces about each contestant again and then again when live starts, ENOUGH! DVR is the only way this show is tolerable!

Comment by DavidSask – October 3, 2013 03:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave it another shot last night and to be honest, no I do not like the chair concept. It looks like they are going to put through the first four and then switch out. Sorry couple of them should not have been put in the chairs in the first place. Sad really, Simon is so off his game they should just pull the plug on this show. Fox need to end this tragedy of a show and concentrate on making AI more updated. I actually think Kelly has a good ear for talent, I thought she picked the 4 best, for her team. To bad they can’t switch JLo out for her on AI, then that would be a great team of judges. After the first couple of singers I was bored.

Comment by Mary – October 3, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it….what I HATED was the back stories!!! Am not watching to hear sob stories just wanna hear u sing. Also loved they added Kelly

Comment by kim – October 3, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm. Glad to see I’m not TOTALLY alone here…..

I’m enjoying X-Factor so far this season, think Kelly is doing a great job, AND liked the new four chair challenge. I just find it and entertaining season so far and think they have some great talent this year.

Comment by Blinged Up – October 3, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe Michael and the rest of you did not comment on how the Idiot Producers gave away the suspence of who Lilly was gonna knock out! Just before they went to commercial, Mario is seen standing in front of the 4 chairs and Lilly is already sitting in the Football girl’s chair. Major Blunder!

Comment by Alienate – October 3, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I caught that too! The big afro Lily was in the girl football’s chair. LOL

Comment by BillyBob – October 3, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw that too, that kinda pissed me off.

Comment by Babar – October 4, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The four chair challenge is just another way to bring unneeded drama to the show. If the other judges actually had any in who gets to stay it would make sense to have them all there but they don’t so it is unnecessary. Bring back the judges houses!

Comment by Alexis – October 3, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you want to obtain a great deal from this post then you have
    to apply such methods to your won website.

Comment by homepage – October 3, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually think the sad eyed mother of 8 would have done well. Her raspy voice has potential.

Comment by BBR – October 3, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Octo mom… It was half Norah Jones-y, half hungover-sounding.

Comment by BillyBob – October 3, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paulina is useless on the panel. she brings NOTHING. Half the time, they don’t even have her comment. Maybe they just edited out. She just repeats what Demi or Kelly has to say. Yet she makes half a million more than Kelly. I just looked it up and Paulina $1.5 million salary, Kelly is just a puny $1 million. Demi is $2 million.

Comment by BillyBob – October 3, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was surprised she kept Rachel over Lorie, I was shocked and a bit upset. I don’t know what Kelly saw in Rachel. It makes me wonder if the judges pick their top 4 before they ever sing.

Comment by Tom hazel – October 3, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The 4-chair challenge is contrived, staged and scripted. Simon has lost his genuine creativity and spontaneity that brought Idol to us some years ago.

Comment by Jim – October 3, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always pick a couple contestants early on in every talent show and one of my 2 usually makes runner up! I picked for my best AKNU and number 2 SANTIAGO, the 16 year old girl! I was robbed on A I when JESSICA SANCHEZ LOST TO A SINGER WHO SHOULD HAVE NOT HAVE MADE THE TOP 100! A REAL SHAME! Also, for those who don’ t know, group AKNU didn’t make it because they had a signed record contract ( NOT ALLOWED )! Well, I’m rootin’ for SANTIAGO! SINCE AKNU IS GONE, I FELT WILLIAMS, THE 24 YEAR OLD SINGER. WAS THIRD BEST! We’ll see what happens! I felt only 40 picked out of 218 was unfair! Also, 4 out of 10 is wrong! First it dragged on and on, now this year, too many prople who are good are gone, very fast!

Comment by Jim Welker – October 3, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, I feel the chair challenge is ok! But, why can’t a judge eliminate one of first. 4 singers, instead of seating all of them???? Also on auditions earlier, I only recall 1 time that all the judges didn’t all say yes, or all say no! At least on A I, they many, many times have mixed votes!

Comment by Jim Welker – October 3, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing that bothered me about the four chair challenge is how despite the judges saying some performances were bad, those people were still sent through to get a chair. I don’t understand the point of even performing if the judges already have their four picked out. I’m specifically referring to Rachel, Jeff, Kristine and Bree.

Comment by kavyn – October 3, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kavyn….I agree 100%! I could not believe the little 13 year old knocked out Ashley Williams! Well, at least Santiago went through! I feel Santiago was best performance of all the performers so far! I like the little girl’s voice too, but she shouldn’t be put through because of her handicap! You have to go with the total package! I felt sorry for her too but she shouldn’t have made the top 4! That is ridiculous!

Comment by Jim Welker – October 3, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • judges are not capable of making good choices need new formate.

Comment by Bohn – October 4, 2013 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did Tik Tok girl get in the final 10? Apparently, even her audition wasn’t that good.

I like the 4 chair challenge, but feel like they shortened the elimination process too much. You get to the finals just after 2 performances?

Comment by JON – October 4, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pop star look in spades and showed a lot of overall pop star potential is how. Sadly it didn’t really work out though.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, Michael. Though I agree with you on whole host of things, I CANNOT agree with you re:Rachel Potter and your opinion of her saying that she’s sick on TV. Your reference to Tyra Banks’ statement is ill-founded. A model doesn’t have to SAY a word much less sing one. So she can be sick and still (possibly) turn in a stellar performance. She’ll feel miserable doing it, but she can. A singer, much less a soprano, like Rachel Potter, relies on her physiology to produce her performance. If her sinuses, which singers refer to as the “mask”, are impeded, it is soooo much more difficult to produce your entire range of sound and especially the “money” notes that are Rachel’s bread and butter. Being sick is not an excuse for a singer, it’s just a fact. A fact that should be known. Let the judges do with it what they will. I’ve been on both sides of the table and I don’t fault any singer for telling me that they’re dealing with a cold or laryngitis. A sore throat is another thing. Most singers can sing over those.

Comment by BrazenSongBird – October 4, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How on earth has everyone already forgotten what Rachel did during the auditions and her mad potential?!??
    Wow I’m glad nobody who watches the show runs a sports team I like. I could imagine half the detractors here cutting Joe Montana or Babe Ruth. Oh man that Babe Ruth can you believe he is hitless his first 15 at bats to start his second season we better cut this joker fast! Man Joe Montana threw zero TD and had one pick in this game man we better just cut him.
    Heck it reminds me of USA Track and Field when they got all snotty against Carl Lewis and when he didn’t quite manage to place in the trials (when he was sick with a bad sinus infection) they kept him off the main team (he finally managed to at least get to run the anchor in the 4x100m where he merely ran the most insane last leg that had ever been run to that point in time; and oh yeah the US didn’t win the gold in the men’s individual 100m).
    I mean I get you do have to weight this sing for the four chairs thing a lot, but sometimes you gotta at least take some things into consideration.
    Wasn’t everyone saying she might win it all just the other week? You can’t forget THAT quickly.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyway I think Kelly got her top five down 100% perfectly. I just wish it had been a top five since Lorie really had a heck of a lot of potential. I might have even kept her over Jeff for the top four, although Jeff did make the overall competition more diverse in style and it would’ve been a rough cut.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Demi Donato dismissing Ashley Williams was the dumbest thing I have ever seen on X-Factor. She was one of the best singers on the show which she proved with her rendition of “I will always love you”, and she could have won the whole thing but Donato threw her away. What was her reason – envy? GP

Comment by Glenn – October 13, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hopefully because Simon wants her to be set up as the surprise wild card.

Comment by HTGR – October 13, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hadn’t thought of that. Yeah, Simon really thought a lot of her.

Comment by Glenn – October 14, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post