Did You Have a Super Fun Night with ABC?

Super Fun NightWill you join Rebel Wilson (Pitch Perfect) and her merry band of misfits for a Super Fun Night every Wednesday (at 9:30/8:30c)?

Super Fun Night follows Kimmie (Wilson) and her two best friends Marika (Lauren Ash, Scare Tactics) and Helen-Alice (Liza Lapira, Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23) as they try to turn their weekly girls’ night in into a raucous girls’ night out. Most of the comedy comes from the gals’ overwhelming awkwardness and inability to fit in.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on Modern Family and 44 Other Returning Faves

Australian comedienne Wilson’s new ABC sitcom hasn’t received the best early buzz. In fact, ABC decided to air the second episode in place of the pilot, a switch likely prompted by negative reviews.

In the replaced premiere, Kimmie & Co. go to a piano bar, where Helen-Alice will feel safe surrounded by gay men and Kimmie can get over her stage fright. Kimmie’s office crush, Richard (Kevin Bishop, The Kevin Bishop Show), tags along, as does Kendall (Kate Jenkinson, The Wedge), an uninvited rival for Richard’s affection.

The characters are broadly drawn, and we hope Marika and Helen-Alice will be given shades other than “tomboy” and “killjoy,” respectively. It’s difficult to see where the romantic conflict will come from, since the adequately charming Richard is so obviously dismissive of cartoonishly villainous Kendall.

Additionally, the show gets a lot of mileage out of Kimmie’s weight; contrary to Wilson’s self-deprecating wit as Fat Amy in Pitch Perfect, the humor here — like the episode-ending montage of Kimmie trying to put on Spanx — often feels like it’s coming from (skinny) mean girl Kendall’s perspective.

Wilson is a talented comedienne, and so it’s hard not to root for her show. We hope that her shaky American accent and the series’ characterizations will improve as the show — like Kimmie singing a Meatloaf cover — soon finds its voice.

But enough about what we thought: What was your take on Super Fun Night? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Premieres, Recaps

1. Morgen says:

Super Fun Night: extremely unfunny half-hour.

2. Darth Pablo says:

I checked it out to see how bad it was. Did not laugh or smile even once. How this is on and Happy Endings is not, I am not sure.

3. Zach says:

I really do not understand why people find Rebel Wilson funny.

• dog is my hero says:

Me neither. Call me old fashioned, but I’m no fan of taking the shock factor route in any shtick – be it Miley Cyrus and her talentless performances nor Rebel Wilson and her crass humor.

• She’s not always crass, she just says things that people are always thinking. Plus she uses her weight as part of her act which is also hilarious- I think why people find her funny is because you can tell she’s enjoying it.

Miley Cyrus has talent, if you listen to the audio of Wrecking Ball, it’s really good- that’s why people are having a problem with her- her talent is good enough she doesn’t have to be making a spectacle of herself.

• Babygate says:

Maybe people don’t find Rebel’s antics funny, because they are not.

• TV Gord says:

She may act as though she’s enjoying it, but that’s called acting. She’s always acting, even when she’s on talk shows or awards shows. Personally, I don’t find fat jokes funny. I may have when I was 12, but I feel bad when she tries to use her size as part of her comedy shtick, and that’s really all she does. She’s a one trick pony, and so is this show.

• nikki says:

THIS!!!

• Tinemi says:

You took the words out of my mouth (well… keyboard). She was sort of funny in Pitch Perfect as part of the whole concept, but as a solo act she gets boring, IMHO.

4. Mr. White says:

What an awful show. I should’ve known going in, but my curiosity got the best of me. As punishment for making viewers endure that, we should deport Rebel Wilson! (I kid, so don’t freak tf out on me) First cancellation of the season possibly? This, or Lucky 7 for sure.

5. Maybe they should called it SUPER FAIL TV NIGHT. Hate to say it but I give my grade of Super Fun Night an F. Wish Suburgatory should come back sooner rather than later.

6. Nothing funny about it. Shameful and cruel. I loved Happy Endings…..and it was taken off for THIS? Pitiful show, didn’t even giggle once. Lots of cheap shots. I felt like Rebel’s character was being bullied by the writers.Bring back Happy Endings.

• Jocelyn says:

Rebel was THE head writer. She created, produced, and wrote the show. She bullied herself, in effect.

But I agree – Happy Endings was a great show. Shame it was cancelled.

7. Yasin says:

All you Happy Endings lovers need to suck it up and move on. Its cancelled. Malibu Country got better ratings and it waas still cancelled and I loved that show but you don’t see me whining. You should be greatful for the 2 seasons it had.

On to SFN: I really wanted this show to be good but it wasn’t. Rebel is a lot funnier when she’s not even trying to be funny. This show is just really bad but I don’t think it will be the first cancellation- that honors going to Betrayal or Lucky 7.

• Morgan says:

Malibu Country was a miserable, terrible, horrible (there aren’t enough negative adjectives to properly describe it) show that never deserved to see the light of day. Oh, by the way, you are kinda whining when you bring it up and then tell other fans to shut up about the show they loved.

• I’m not whining, I’m pointing out a fact- clearly people loved watching that show more than yours if it got better ratings, yet you don’t see people crying about it 3 months after it was cancelled. I understand you guys are upset, but you shouldn’t be beating up another show just because yours was cancelled, unfortunately thats how the tv business is- people have to show up to watch.

And you can’t blame ABC for cancelling the show, had Happy Endings pull the numbers they were getting on Tuesdays, that it did on Fridays, it wouldn’t have been cancelled because they loved that show and they kept fighting to find a home for it too, as the creators said themselves.

But I do agree that ABC does have a tendency of treating some shows like crap (Cougar Town) but I don’t think this was the case here.

• Boiler says:

Pretty dumb comment about Malibu Country. Reba is a huge draw and ABC made a mistake cancelling for some of the crap they put on that is getting lower ratings

8. Jo says:

It was almost as bad as ‘Girls’. F.

• Zac says:

The fact that you think “Girls” is bad shows your level of taste. F.

• Ram510 says:

“Girls” is overhyped and just not much fun to watch. It’s awful and I don’t understand why it’s still on the air

• Eli says:

Actually, you can draw some comparisons between this show and ‘Girls’. Both shows carry a specific type of humor that only appeals to a small portion of viewers. Of course ‘Girls’ is much “edgier” and “more unique” than Super Fun Night and is a critical darling because of this.
        I honestly believe if Super Fun Night was a cable show, it would have a much better chance of survival and would get more positive reviews. It’s just too specific in its audience to be a network show.
        For the record, I strongly disliked Super Fun Night, I gave it a ‘D’ only because of Liza Lapira, who I’ve been a fan of ever since ‘Traffic Light’. I’d still watch it over ‘Girls’ though, because watching ‘Girls’ is the only time in my entire life I actually thought punching a woman in the face would be a good idea…

• Babygate says:

Agreed. The fact that people find Lena Dunham’s antics funny really troubles me.

• Zach says:

If I didn’t know better, I would think it was a drama. I watched the pilot, and the closest thing I found to a joke was:

Lena Dunham: Were you watching Mary Tyler Moore last night?
        Roomate: Yeah.
        Lena Dunham: That show sounds really weird from the other room.

9. erin says:

I didn’t think it was anywhere near as bad as the rest of the comments are saying, but I feel like every line Rebel said would instantly be 10x funnier if she used her natural accent! The Amurican accent just sounds wrong!

• I agree with you Erin wholeheartedly.

• Hmm maybe thats why, and did anyone notice her accent was coming out when she was in scenes with her Bridesmaids co-star? I think those were the best scenes too.

• jag says:

I totally agree with the accent. Mostly most part of Rebel’s character is her accent. Without it the whole character doesn’t really fit. But i will give this show a chance. I know it’s not funny to laugh at obesity but that is why they called it Super Fun Night. Let’s not only see the the physical side of it bu the show as a whole. More on me is the fact that they tackle the part of dealing with your inner demons is quite good. It’s like Ugly Betty. We just have to see the other aspect of the show rather than putting the weight on Rebel’s weight.

10. greysfan says:

FAIL! I am a massive fan of Rebel Wilson BUT not in this. This was just sad tv and unfunny.

11. cjeffery7 says:

the only way this show will succeed is if everybody “gets” Rebel Wilson’s humor. unfortunately, not everybody does. which is a shame. i’ll watch it until it dies and look forward to her next venture, whatever medium it be in.

• Eli says:

Yes, when a show fails it’s everybody else’s fault, it could not possibly be the fact that the show is simply not that good…

• cjeffery7 says:

what i meant to say was that the only way it would survive, because it’s not great, is if more people were enthusiastic rebel fans like myself, which there simply are not. for a lower quality show to make it takes a very vocal minority and i dont think this one is gonna have it, but a girl can dream.

12. Amanda says:

Okay. It seriously wasn’t as bad as every critic tried to make it out to be (but to be fair they were watching another episode). It’s not the greatest, but I enjoyed it. You definitely have to get that quirky sense of humor Rebel has. I’d like to see the other characters grow a little more, but yeah…I gave it a C.

13. em says:

I like Rebel Wilson, but this was bad. Not a complete fail (I did manage to make it through half of it), but definitely not worth another viewing next week.

14. Allen says:

I cannot think of a show that is more incompatible with MODERN FAMILY. Just awful. AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL. Grade: F-

• the girl says:

Excellent point. This is SUCH a BAD pairing. I’m not all that big on Suburgatory, but it made more sense coming after Modern Family than this show. I liked the song bit between Kimmie and Kendall but nothing much else. I didn’t like the personalities of the two friends at all. And I agree with Misha – I don’t see how the romantic tension can become a thing when Richard clearly likes Kimmie and is a bit clueless to Kendall’s intentions for him. And now that I’m on the subject, what woman would spend that much time and energy trying to seduce a man she just wants to use for sex with no strings? Picking up a friend with benefits shouldn’t be that much work. Someone like Kendall would have been like, on to the next – I find it completely unbelievable that she would battle Kimmie for, umm, Richard. The more I think about it, the less I like this show.

15. dude says:

I love Rebel Wilson and maybe that’s why I enjoyed it more than a lot of critics did. It wasn’t my favourite comedy and I didn’t laugh a ton but it was amusing enough for me to want to give it another week and let it grow on me. I think it has all the ingredients of a potentially good comedy, it just isn’t there yet. It certainly wasn’t the embarrassing failure a lot of people are trying to make it out to be but the show should hopefully try to move past the “look at how dorky these girls are” premise because they’re not very good at writing nerd jokes.

16. Shea says:

Dreadful. Bad writing. Terrible acting. Stereotypical characters. She plays a lawyer? Not any lawyer I know. Sorry, this show stinks. Good luck with the next venture. I’m sure she’s talented. Not in this, though.

17. Babygate says:

OMG! I feel so bad so Rebel Wilson. I really wanted this to work but wow, bad, bad. I feel embarrassed for the entire cast. ABC needs a do over for their comedy picks this season.

18. Tom Charles says:

It was just horrible. I think the key to Rebel Wilson is small doses. She has talent, but this was just… trying to hard.

19. Zach says:

Super Fun Night may blow chunks, but Back in the Games was tricking hilarious tonight! I don’t know what I’m going to do if ABC cancels it. I think I might like it more than Brooklyn Nine Nine.

20. David says:

Suburgatory returning early maybe hopefully? Back in the game is awesome!

21. Sokratis says:

This comment board clearly has it out for this show. Rebel Wilson had so many good roles on Aussie tv and she’s hilarious. The shows got flaws sure, but it’s perfectly fine. Plus Kate jenkinson is another great Aussie actress, so it’s great to see them get a chance

• Paul H says:

Um, so your argument is that because she used to be in good shows and she’s Australian, our comments are too harsh? Very few are calling her untalented. That said, this has been her baby from start to finish, and it’s dreadful. The writing is bad, the casting is awful, and rebel is best in small doses. This show will be 2nd or 3rd to be cancelled.

• greysfan says:

I dont have it out for her or the show. I genuinely tried to give it a fair chance and the first episode wasn’t great. I am a fellow Aussie and i hated it. Rebel is a great comedian but in this particular show she is horrible. Plus the accent she tried to pull is NOT Rebel Wilson. I am also aware she is part of the creative team which makes it even more disappointing.

22. Jennifer says:

I guess I’m the only one who thaught it was hilarious. I guess because I can relate so heavily and see the comedy in the situations because they’ve actually happened to me. I wish I could highfive Rebel and bask in our awkward fatness.haha It makes me sad that people are hating on it so hard.

• Eli says:

“relate so heavily”, I see what you did there :P

• maltru says:

So, I’m also awkward and nearly Rebel Wilson-sized, but I COULDN’T relate. I’ve never had an elevator take off my skirt; I actually don’t bother with Spanx since it doesn’t make a huge difference (I’m fat either way, might as well be comfortable), and I have the self-esteem of… well, something with virtually no self-esteem. But I didn’t see my plight in this show; I saw tired jokes and cheap potshots.

• lisa l says:

This show is adorable!! I love it!! :)

23. Jill says:

What was with her accent? Trying to be american with a slip of australian every one in a while. I love Rebel, but this has to get better fast

24. Liz says:

This show was all kinds of awful! Bring back Suburgatory.

25. N says:

Not very good……

26. K2 says:

If this was the episode that they replaced for the premiere, I can’t imagine how bad the premiere was!

27. Richard says:

I LOVED it! Thought it was funny and endearing. The only slight problems were that the sing-off and spanks scene at the end were a little too long, but just by a few seconds. Other than that, I liked it.

28. MLO says:

Sorry – the commercials were enough to turn me off. Didn’t even bother.

29. Brandy says:

I d give it a B-.

30. Sam says:

Wanted to like it because I love rebel Wilson, hopefully they reveal that her character is really austrailian and bring her accent back

31. Christian says:

Thank goodness I didn’t watch Dads because if that show is even worse than this one, then that is one amazing feat! This show was craptacularly awful and Rebel only has the “fat, horny chick” shtick which is banal and not remotely funny. I like Paul Lee’s taste in dramas (i.e. Revenge, Scandal, Once, Nashville) but he really needs to put someone else in charge in selecting comedies because his sense of humor sucks!

32. Sheldon W. says:

Everything that Rebel Wilson has been in her movie work (smart, funny, incisive) this was not. Even worse than the rancid pilot.

Epic fail.

33. tara17 says:

I loved the show, seems I’m in the minority though. I’ll keep watching anyway.

34. bob the guy says:

Get some NEW WRITERS and the show might survive.

35. Mimisies says:

I am hopeful for this show. I liked it. I still don’t think its hit its stride because its only been 1 episode, but I think its going to pick up and grown on everyone. As a ;plus size woman, I am happy to see a “plus sized” actress on the tube. Young girls need to see it too. Sometimes we feel we are the only ones and it’s nice to have role models like Rebel.

36. liz says:

absolutely hilarious! I loved it! It was very much ME and my friends on screen. As a fellow fat girl, Rebel’s comedy on the topic was SPOT ON.

37. Sims says:

I know TVLine shouldn’t be expected to know this but the fact that they credited the wonderful Australian actress Kate Jenkinson with The Wedge is so disappointing for her. The show was terrible and cancelled very quickly. But she’s been setting Australian screens on fire the past couple of years since then and is in demand here in Oz. You could have picked any other one of her IMDB credits, or even her most recent one rather than something from years ago. Perhaps TVLine knew that’s how she scored the deal with also australian Rebel Wilson – they starred in The Wedge together – and that’s why they decided to use it but she is a wonderful actress who shouldn’t be lumped next to the disaster that was The Wedge.

38. Debra says:

I loved Rebel in Pitch Perfect! I was so disappointed that she didn’t have a British accent and equally disappointed by her nerdiness in this show. If you are going to have a character be large and in charge she better have a nonapologetic attitude to go with it. The writing didn’t ring true. I don’t see how a personality the character has would be a lawyer. I really wanted to see a character like Fatt Amy, she’s hilarious! She can make a fat joke work. Rebel is funny and has great timing so I’m not sure what happened here. I’ll watch next week and see how it goes.

39. Bale says: