Ratings: S.H.I.E.L.D. (and Thus the Rest of ABC Tuesday) Drops, Falls Behind NCIS

Agents of SHIELD Nick FuryNick Fury’s mood won’t be improving anytime soon.

ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD drew 8.4 million total viewers and a 3.1 demo rating in its second outing, dropping 31 and 34 percent from its boffo premiere.

Thusly, the rest of ABC’s all-new Tuesday slate took a hit. The Goldbergs (6.2 mil/2.2) fell 29 percent in the demo, Trophy Wife (4.3 mil/1.4) plunged 39 percent and Lucky 7 (2.8 mil/0.8) dropped 38 percent.

UPDATE: Per finals, SHIELD adjusted up to 8.7 mil/3.3, while Lucky 7 made my wordplay-loving self squee by ticking down to an unlucky 0.7.

RELATED | Agents of SHIELD Serves Up a Very Cool Cameo

In fact, CBS’ NCIS bested SHIELD this week in both total viewers (with 20 mil, per finals) and in the demo (3.5, down a tenth). Leading out of that, NCIS: LA (14.8 mil/2.7) dipped 10 percent, while Person of Interest (12.2 mil/2.1) was steady in viewers but down two tenths in the demo.

RELATED | NCIS Recap: A Kiss Before Goodbye-ing — What Grade Do You Give Ziva’s Exit?

Over on NBC, The Voice (14.2 mil/4.5) ticked down two tenths week-to-week, while Chicago Fire (adjusted down to 8.7 mill/2.6) dipped a tenth in the demo versus its season opener.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s The Voice Recap: Back(story) to the Future!

Among Fox’s comedy quartet, Dads (3.4 mil/1.3) and New Girl (3.9 mil/1/9) each dipped two tenths, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.4 mil/1.4) dropped 22 percent and The Mindy Project was steady at 3 mil/1.5.

1. Leigh says:

I miss Body of Proof. I know ABC will be missing it, too, with those numbers for Lucky 7.

2. Nate says:

DAMNIT PEOPLE. WATCH SHIELD. -___- it feels like joss Whedon Has the worst luck all his shows have been canceled but Buffy

• jon says:

a 3.1 and 8.4 are not reasons to worry, or to call it bad luck. Cmon the premier numbers weren’t sustainable.

• Badpenny says:

Dude, relax! AoS drew a 3.1, which is the same number as NCIS. Total viewers are meaningless. It’s the demo that matters; and everyone expected the Ziva swansong to pull in the viewers last night.

• Yes, but this is still week 2. When a show drops >30% in its second week, it’s pretty much a guarantee that the week 3 numbers will go even lower. If SHIELD scored a 3.1 A18-49 rating during November sweeps for episode 7 or 8, *then* you’d be able to breath a sigh of relief.

The show will be hitting mid-to-low 2′s by November sweeps, and if it doesn’t stabilize by then, consider it canceled by May.

• Badpenny says:

Do you know how many programs I watch each week that have been on for years that never get higher then a 2.4 demo? Shows like Castle and Bones. Let’s not start fear-mongering here. :)

• Ewa says:

Except SHIELD is waaaaay more expensive than those, so yes, it needs to sustain the over-the-top numbers simply to stay profitable…

• Badpenny says:

From a cast perspective it’s actually much cheaper as most of the cast are unknowns doing their first real job. Sam Jackson was probably paid more for his cameo then most of the regulars combined. :)
            As far as special effects costs, we’re not seeing anything in AoS that we didn’t see in the syndicated Smallville for a decade. These aren’t ground breaking costs here.

• Yuka says:

Unfortunately its not a very good show. If next weeks episode doesn’t improve…for me it’s strike three BYE BYE

• eridapo says:

The difference is those shows have aired for a while and have an established fanbase. MAOS does not.. It’s fall mirrors the fall of Flashforward, The Event, Dollhouse, and Terra Nova. If it loses another 20 to 25 next week, the show will be considered a failure by the media and possibly ABC…. After that.. the clock is just ticking for major retooling or face cancellation.

• Esaul says:

How is it a guarantee? You can’t make a projection based off two weeks worth of data. In general, shows start off strong, and the ratings tend to trickle. Unless it’s a major dip, which this wasn’t, then the show should be relatively fine.

• courts says:

Angel also lasted 5 seasons which is pretty impressive too.

• Josh says:

ABC also knows that this show will make major bank on DVD, streaming sites, and syndication, so it’s not going anywhere.

• Hana says:

Kind of a no-brainer that SHIELD would drop… initial audience and critic reaction was a little bit lukewarm and wait-and-see. I guess a lot of people aren’t waiting and seeing.

• Eurisko says:

I love Joss but the pilot was soooooooooo bad I didn’t watch last night. You people want to sugar coat it but that is a huge drop.

• Zack B says:

You may want to watch the second episode. I watched the first and was disappointed with the poor writing, and one actor felt like he was phoning it in. The second episode was more character centered and felt fresher (and better) to me – especially their take on the what are the microcosmic consequences of a world with super powers and weapons.

• Eurisko says:

you’re right Zack EP 2 was much better. The yellow raft plugging the plane whole was very stupid and the sexy Latina made me laugh for the wrong reasons but over all it was an improvement.

• I love Joss too, and after having seen the episode three I find the quality to be pretty consistent, to the credit of Joss’s team. I have to say however, that I expected the pilot to be just that little bit more.

It’s a good (EXCELLENT) episode, and all the individual components (set up for every character, action, mystery, episode rhythm establishment, comedy) were good, but the episode as a pilot doesn’t seem anywhere near as comprehensively representative as Firefly’s 2 hour original pilot. Firefly’s pilot set a *very* firm bass line for the universe and character qualities required for every episode that followed, whereas in shield pilot the characters are solidly built, but felt a little unclear on the character dynamics. It seems Joss&Co. intended for that particular part to develop slowly over time, but it just didn’t feel like the album cover photo that TV pilots are supposed to be.

Given the budget and the pre-existing fanbase Joss has I thought he’d do a perfect pilot like that again this time round, only the show won’t be cancelled. Writing for each existing Firefly episode have been outstanding. Granted shield involves a whole lot more complex mechanisms, what with the espionage related technical intricacies and another cosmic information mumbo jumbo that is Marvel, but given the brain power committed to the grind mill it doesn’t seem impossible for them to pull off episode scripts just as good for shield.

3. Christina says:

I’m just hoping SHIELD only suffered because of the huge NCIS episode this week.

• John says:

Yes next week on out will surely be a more accurate reading.

• DarkDefender says:

Exactly. Now that the Tiva goodbye is complete.. Might see some drop off from NCIS.. Viewers really liked her. Plus S.H.I.E.L.D. Has cool gadgets.. And they are still establishing the characters and cast dynamic.

4. Jason says:

Next week’s numbers will be more interesting, without NCIS’s promise of a Ziva-exit, and when news spread about SHIELD’s big-star cameo in the tag.

• stevie says:

this.
      with ziva gone SHIELD ratings will go up next week. 100%

• Jason says:

of course, we could just be hopeful sods who are talking off their asses.
        but after episode two? I believe in SHIELD.
        still… we mustn’t discount NCIS yet. people will be curious what it will be like without Ziva :)

• Esaul says:

You can’t say that. There is no indication nor way of telling if NCIS viewers and S.H.I.E.L.D. viewers are one in the same. Fans who give up on NCIS due to Ziva’s departure may not necessarily pick up S.H.I.E.L.D., they have entirely different concepts.

• Elyse says:

I watch both Shield and NCIS and if I had to choose I would pick NCIS to watch live. I like Shield but to me it’s not worthy of watching live. it’s a good show but it doesn’t live up to the hype yet.

5. HeatherC says:

Great news for Chicago Fire!!! =)

6. I thought Shield had 3.4 demo rating.

7. K says:

Chicago Fire is on FIRE.

8. courts says:

NCIS also has had ten years to generate a loyal fanbase and AoS has only had two weeks so it’s really not fair to compare them.

• Mandy says:

Yeah, tell that to ABC when renewal/cancellation comes up in May.

• Esaul says:

In a way, it’s a bit meaningless to compare the two. It’s more fascination to see how they do against each other. If S.H.I.E.L.D. hits some sort of magical number ABC is looking for, they’ll keep it on air, and if it has decent ratings compared to their other programs. Obviously if it does hypothetically drop lower than the current programs, then you can see it getting axed. As it stands, this is good for them, but we don’t have enough data yet.

• John says:

“In a way, it’s a bit meaningless to compare the two.”

Not in the sense they are on at the same time and so do, to an extent, represent a same time realtime eyeball choice and it’s the live eyeballs that are most at stake for ad revenues.

Though for myself I watch a Monday or earlier DVR’d show and live watch NCIS: LA and POI…. and pick up Marvel and NCIS later.

• prish says:

AoS has had almost a century to generate a loyal fanbase, via Marvel.

9. Ash says:

wow FOX’s ratings are really bad. I’m really suprised for new girl. didn’t expect 1.9

• Badpenny says:

I have found the writing to be really bad in the first 3 episodes of New Girl this season. I don’t mean the Jess/Nick relationship, just the way all the character are currently acting. Insane Winston (puzzle insanity, now cat insanity), crazy Schmidt vowing to destroy Nick and Jess, etc. The characters are just lost this season and even I’m only going to give it through the DWJr episodes to recapture me or I’m gone too.

• Bridget says:

This season’s Randomly Crazy Winston and A$$hole Schmidt seem like the writers are scrambling, and it’s made New Girl uncomfortable to watch so far. I’m hopeful that this is an intentional setup for Coach’s return. If it’s not, I’ll probably check out. This isn’t the smart show I fell in love with.

• Boiler says:

I thought the first couple shows were very funny. But I do agree that if Winston and Schmidt personalties don’t change it will get old very quick and that would be too bad

10. Darren says:

Actually, The Voice won the 8pm hour in the 18 to 49 demo.

11. sarah says:

I am so happy that ChiFi has more viewers! I love that show and hope it keeps doing well.

12. Ziva’s farewell episode of NCIS truly deserve it to top Agents of SHIELD in the 8 p.m. time slot. Now that Ziva is done on NCIS, only time will tell if SHIELD is going to bounce back next week over the Mark Harmon led series. Other news, wonder if Dads and/or Lucky 7 are on the verge of being the first two new shows of the Fall TV season to get canceled.

• Hana says:

I highly doubt that SHIELD and NCIS have a crossover audience.

• Jane says:

Most of the people I know are watching one and DVRing the other so yes I think they do have a substantial crossover audience.

• Esaul says:

You’re talking about a small sample that’s relative to you, not to the general Nielsen viewer audience.

• Daisy Day says:

I DVR all my shows. I never watch anything “live”. I love S.H.I.E.L.D.S. and will keep watching. I have watched NCIS for 8 years and will miss Ziva…as someone pointed out elsewhere, this may be the last year for NCIS…

13. Brian says:

Person of Interest is so great, that demo number is not. I thought this Tuesday night change was going to produce bigger numbers so I am disappointed.

14. Leah says:

I want to see the +7 numbers. I recorded everything last & went to the fair instead.

15. Maria says:

POI…now that was entertaining. That will be my only Tuesday night show from now on.

16. Eric says:

Bummed that the ratings for Trophy Wife and Brooklyn Nine-Nine were so low. They’re two of my favorite new series. Shame about S.H.I.E.L.D. too, but I’m sure it’ll be fine as long as it remains relatively steady from here on out. Won’t bother checking out Lucky 7, as I saw that one’s cancellation coming from miles away. New Girl’s drop is also upsetting to me.

• Patrick says:

I am not worried about Brooklyn, or Dads, for that matter. Vs NCIS and Shield, Fox can’t really expect much.

• Esaul says:

Personally, I’m not worried about Dad due to Fox’s relationship with MacFarlane. It’s not hitting decent numbers, but I’d imagine that relationship might possibly hold (very) little weight. I do expect it to be cancelled, don’t get me wrong, but it’ll live longer than we expect.

17. Shirley says:

I would surmise that S.H.I.E.L.D will pick up again especially with DVR and online views etc. I’d be happy if it had 10-15 mill viewers and 3.1-3.5 demo for live viewing.No need to panic yet!

18. Terrance says:

People keep saying that with the Ziva goodbye done on NCIS people will flock to SHIELD but – do those two shows even have the same audience?!

I’m going to venture and say probably not.

• Badpenny says:

There are a lot of shippers, like myself, who only watched NCIS for the Tiva. Without that NCIS is a rather tame police procedural. There’s a reason why 75% of the watchers are outside of the demo – meaning 50 or older. :)

• Esaul says:

There’s no indication that shippers make up the majority of the viewership. While I enjoy Ziva and Tony’s chemistry, I’ve been watching the show far longer than she’s been on. There are people who’ve watched pre-Ziva as well. I enjoy the chemistry of the ENTIRE cast, which is why I watch.

• Badpenny says:

I never said shippers make up the majority. I simply said those outside of the demo make up the majority. As a shipper I was only interested in the relationship, and thus I no longer watch NCIS, as I see it as a common procedural.

• james says:

People like you ruin tv shows. Just sayin. You people broke House. Will end up breaking NCIS and Castle. There is more than 2 people on any given tv show. Sorry to sound like a douche but for real people. Just because people have “chemistry” doesn’t mean they have to get together. Then when they do, it either breaks the show immediately or breaks it when their first major issue happens because the “shippers” get so pissy. For “Tiva” people it took a while for them to get to that point and basically it never happened. Now people like you, for instance, won’t watch a great show because Cote de Pablo left the show under her own terms. NCIS tried so hard to make the “shippers” happy they completely fumbled on the Ziva farewell. I mean they made it seem like Ziva didn’t care about McGee or Abby all that much.

• Badpenny says:

James, why would anyone watch a show they no longer like? This isn’t a “shipper” issue. This is a people spending their free time watching what they want to watch issue. If I don’t like the direction a show is going I have the right to stop watching it. There’s probably hundreds of shows you’ve stopped watching in your life because you stopped liking them. Why should you have that right but I don’t?
            I stopped watching NCIS because I was only interested in Tiva. You might stop watching the Simpsons because they killed your favorite cartoon character. Your reasons are just a valid as mine. We all have the right to watch what we want to watch. No one can take that from us.

• While a bit blunt, I have to agree with James. I hate shippers. And people quick to leave a show because X happened or Y didn’t happen, good riddance. While I don’t watch NCIS and think that a show shouldn’t go on so long that it molts its entire cast through the years, you should watch a show because it’s entertaining, not because it doesn’t pan out exactly how you would have wanted. We should also remember that sometimes, a new cast member is the best thing that could have happened to a show. Cheers.

• Amanda says:

Don’t know how many people are like me, but I only watched for Tony/Ziva interactions for the last two years. So with Cote de Pablo gone, I’m moving to SHIELD full time.

19. I wouldn’t worry about S.H.I.E.L.D. being canceled. As long as the ratings are decent it will be looked at as a marketing platform for Marvel. I doubt anyone at ABC has any decision making ability about if the show continues or not.

20. wrstlgirl says:

WhooHoooo Chicago Fire!!! SHIELD is okay but something is missing and I can’t quite put my finger on it. I’m just not finding most of these characters very interesting. They come across a bit wooden and blah, but I’m going to continue watching. And I admit Lucky 7 is not great but I don’t think it’s the worst new show of the season. I like the individual stories of these lottery winners and how winning this money is affecting them personally. But if it goes bye bye I won’t cry.

• prish says:

The missing piece might be a lack of focus. The pilot had this three-minute ending, where there were facial closeups of each Shield cast member. It looked like you were watching a slide show of headshots. That was a weird waste of prime time show minutes that were more expensive than gold. Hmmm. Maybe the film editing department should take a hit for the missing piece problem.

21. Liz says:

All of Pittsburgh was watching a baseball game last night so now we have to catch up on our regular shows via DVR!!!!!

22. Babybop says:

Damn, what was happening last night that all those numbers dropped so much? Sad for Trophy Wife. I actually really enjoy it.

• Bridget says:

Just a little baseball game. — MLB Public Relations @MLB_PR
      “NL Wild Card Game drew 33.7 rating in Pittsburgh, highest for any MLB game ever on record. Nationally, game drew 3.4, +3% over ’12.”

• Babybop says:

Ohhh. Okay. I don’t follow sports so I would have no clue. Ha ha.

• Francine says:

Would 1 city (or two I guess if Cincinatti had the same type of ratings) really make that big of a difference? I’m not being snarky, I’m honestly just wondering….

• Ann says:

Trophy Wife is hilarious. It’s the only new show far this season that has made me laugh out loud. Last night’s episode was great. I really hope they move it to Wednesdays behind Modern Family once they cancel Super Fun Night.

23. prish says:

“There are only two super heros in shield and the rest are computer geeks, and one spy. There is not enough action to get you going. It drags on too much after a little action. I barely understand what kind of organization it is. Is it a law organization or a pseudo cia? ” says the Husband. Me, I found it boring, but I like Gregg. Then again, I was a fan of Alphas, and this is not as good.

24. Kim R says:

I like NCIS and AOS. Hopefully both will stay on air and do well. Why does there have to be an either/or? :D

• Badpenny says:

Because when you put two programs in the same time slot they’re competing for the same audience. Tivo watching one or the other doesn’t add to advertising revenues, only to bragging rights. :)

25. sladewilson says:

Next week is when all of this gets real: lets see the numbers when everyone settles in. EVERYBODY knew NCIS would win decisively last night.

26. davgiants says:

The problem with Agents of Shield is that the show is boring with bad acting and bad dialogue. There is something wrong with me bc I feel like have to watch this show but I cringe while watching it. I will stick with this not bc I want to bc I unfortunately feel I have too

• Hana says:

The problem with Agents of SHIELD is that Joss Whedon really doesn’t have a super track record in TV except for Buffy and Angel.

• Jo says:

Yeah. That Firefly (biggest selling tv on DVD title of all time) was just garbage! Astute observation!

• Badpenny says:

Yeah. The guy had 2 good successes in Buffy and Angel. Firefly was Fox’s failure, not Joss’. Dollhouse made 2 seasons and Parenthood 1. I’d say is track record on TV is about as good as most other producers. :)

• Esaul says:

I’m a bit with you on this. There were some aspects I enjoyed. My favorite and only character I enjoy is Coulson. I love his interaction with Fury at the end. However, it’s more about gimmicks and action. There is little acting going on to keep my interest, and the writing is subpar, even coming from Whedon.

27. Mr. Sunshine says:

Please tell me once again why they cancelled Body of Proof!

28. Jo says:

I’m disappointed Shield dropped. We’ll see what happens next week now that the obnoxious hype over that no-name actress leaving that garbage show is mercifully behind us.

29. THE TV CRITIC says:

I say this to the 18-34 crowd that CBS Nielsen goes after……..half of that demo range have no money and thus have no disposable income. The older crowd has it! So why waste time on focusing on that group? It’s a loss mentality.

• Badpenny says:

Older viewers are more set in their ways, and thus less likely to change what they’ve been using for years for something new they see on TV. Thus a commercial to get you to switch car insurance, for example, is less effective against the older crowd.

• prish says:

more impulse shopping, I’d assume

30. Drew says:

Remember last week when I dared to suggest that the SHIELD would drop in the ratings? Seems pretty obvious now, right? They will probably go down even more over the next week or two before settling.

• Badpenny says:

I’ve been saying for over 2 months that AoS would get hit the hardest during the Tiva goodbye. You’re not a Profit. :)

• Drew says:

It is just common sense really, but people thought I was insane. This show isn’t Lost. It is a comic book show, heavy on the comic book elements and not incredibly well done. The premiere was big because of The Avengers but as people settle into the series, those who don’t like comic book shows aren’t going to stick around.

Arrow is less campy and more accessible to a wider audience, and I wouldn’t even expect miracles from that one.

• Esaul says:

I’ve made a comment earlier, but there’s no way to tell if the viewers/ratings dropped due to NCIS and Ziva’s departure. Sure, there might be a good amount watching that over S.H.I.E.L.D., but what about those that aren’t interested in it after the pilot? Those viewers/ratings can be going anywhere.

31. Mikael says:

I love how people are predicting SHIELD’s cancellation when it got 8.4 million viewers. It obviously wouldn’t hold its premiere numbers, which I’m sure was a lot of people watching out of curiosity. Episode 2 was better than the pilot, and like any Joss Whedon show, it will probably take a few episodes to really get going, and then it gets really really good. Besides, Disney owns Marvel and ABC, so I’m sure it’s not going anywhere. What I love about the show is that it feels like a comic book come to life. It’s not supposed to be dark and gritty like The Dark Knight.

• Esaul says:

It’s more about the ratings than the viewership. Disney may own Marvel and ABC, but if it’s not making money off it, then they’ll ax it anyway.

32. Ann VerWiebe says:

I really like SHIELD – I expect it will pick up when the non-core viewers discover it. And, it’s true that there was bound to be a dip because of last night’s big NCIS. BUT – the rest of ABC’s line-up is a dog! That’s not coming back.

33. Weezy says:

Oh come on…SHIELD is one of the worst pieces of garbage put on TV in forever. It’s like a terrible action movie with a bunch of actors who yell at each other all the time. The only exception being the leader. He has some good lines and actually engages in real dialogue. The rest of them take turns yelling at each other (except for the one who never talks). In her case I’m supposed to believe this short skinny Hollywood chick is the greatest fighter since Bruce Lee…sorry this show just isn’t coming CLOSE to measuring up with the movies. The problem is they don’t really have a good story to tell, and I’m really disappointed in the casting. The guy/girl tech team hast to be the most annoying pair in TV history, they literally only talk tech jarble or yell at people or freak out. I just don’t see how they can build on this show to make it any better. It’s a shame b/c I was excited for it and usually love Joss work. Honestly I don’t think he’s had much involvement at all in the TV show and it’s apparent with the writing/dialogue, etc.

• Esaul says:

In a way, I agree. I love Joss Whedon, he’s great at what he does. But this is a bit of a let down. I enjoy having Coulson back. He was my favorite in Avengers. But here we have horrible writing, little to no acting, and just gimmicks and action. There’s predictability at every turn. I want this to pick up. I want to see chemistry between the characters instead of it being forced because they have to work together.

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, loved this :-) Thanks for the laugh, and *ahem* you’re not wrong. I think you solved my issue with not quite understanding why I’m having a hard time connecting to this show. It’s trying to hard to be something that it’s not.

34. Morgan says:

I have to wonder how the various stations add online watching (via hulu or their own website) into their calculations. I don’t have any cable. I have Netflix Instant, HuluPlus, and I go to websites like CBS.com to watch any shows that I want. So, even though SHIELD ratings dropped on TV, is it possible that they’ll make some of that up with online viewership?

Just curious if TV stations have caught up to the way many people are viewing their shows.

• John says:

For revenue it’s the ad accompanying live broadcast viewing that is significant. Heck if anything an advertiser that knows many people will avoid their ads and watch the show in other ways could be seen as a negative.

35. Dizzle says:

I’m surprised Person Of Interest is dropping this low at 10… Vegas’ ratings were better last year which is troubling…..

36. THE TV CRITIC says:

Those of you ripping on S.H.I.E.L.D,

You have no idea what you are talking about and prove the lack of factual knowledge and intelligence. If you don’t have any scope of the whole Marvel universe advice to shut the heck up!

• wrstlgirl says:

Hahaha, oh let’s all bow to you, oh wise one. It’s okay for people to have different tastes. It doesn’t make their opinion any less relevant than yours.

• Badpenny says:

Dude, what are you so upset about? Their ratings are fine. Hundreds of shows are produced and watched every single day that don’t have 3.0 or higher ratings. Relax! We’re only 2 episodes in. ABC isn’t worried about the ratings, so don’t you be either. Nothing’s with a 3.1 is getting cancelled. :)

• THE TV CRITIC says:

I have a feeling some wants to see this fail.

• Badpenny says:

So? Who cares what “some” want? If you like the show, keep watching it. Nothing a stranger says to me on this site is going to convince me to stop watching something I want to watch. AoS might fail or it might succeed. All the jibber-jabber by 100 people on this site isn’t going to change that. The survival of the show is based off of millions, not 100 people. :)

• tp says:

I understand the whole Marvel universe just fine. AoS is still not a good show. It’s mediocre at best.

37. Mr. Sunshine says:

Okay, I haven’t watched one episode of Chicago Fire. Is it worth binge watching on Hulu?

38. Dani says:

SHIELD losing >30 percent is a bit much. Around 15 percent would have been fine. But those numbers are a little bit alarming. ABC invested a lot of money in the show. It’s expensive, even though the cast is pretty much unknown. I hope it can rise again with it’s 3rd episode. It’s a good show. Not a typical ABC show though. Maybe that’s the problem!?
    I don’t think the numbers will rise again next week because of Ziva’s exit on NCIS. The show was down from it’s premiere ratings. So it’s not like everyone tuned into watch NCIS over SHIELD.
    LUCKY 7 should be canceled by the day’s end. I don’t see ABC putting up with .8 demo rating one week longer. I’m glad that CHICAGO FIRE is doing so great. It’s a good show!

39. Greg Eckes says:

Marvel has not had great luck with television series. While it is beating DC in the movie theaters, DC has kicked Marvel’s ass in the television department.

• Badpenny says:

Suffice it to say that no matter what else DC managed to keep Superman on the air. Over the last 20 years 14 of them have had a Superman series running. :)

40. It’s unfortunate that Trophy Wife and Brooklyn Nine Nine getting low ratings. I really enjoy Trophy Wife, its a hilarious show. It will be sad if it gets cancelled. #thisiswhyidonotwatchbrandnewshows

41. ElSol says:

Here is my criticism of the show — we’re talking a TV show based on a superhero universe and not a SINGLE one of its title characters has a superpower. I’m going to give Tomorrow People a shot, maybe they’ll deliver on the OBVIOUS!!!

• Badpenny says:

Skye probably has a superpower dealing with computers, which is why she’s such an excellent hacker. Melinda clearly has some special abilities; possibly even android parts. And there’s a ton of speculation that Coulson is an LMD. Beyond that, though, the show is called Agents of SHIELD, thus its focus is clearly on the agents we’ve seen in half-a-dozen movies.

42. kath says:

Now that Ziva’s gone, I’m going to be watching S.H.I.E.L.D. next week. I’ll be interested in seeing those numbers. (Although I find Skye very annoying, but I like the others.)

43. Babygate says:

Did anyone who is not a comic book nerd or a Wheadon die hard fan did not see thi coming? The first epi was sub par at best. There was too much hype and it did not deliver. The writing is mediocre, the characters are still a mystery. I mean, you have two tween scientists who can’t fight. A ‘calvary’ that is under utilized, the all around tough guy with the bland personality, the super hacker sitting around just waiting to tweet, and a leader who offers more jokes than leadership. Not everyone is a super fan of the genre and can overlook these weaknesses. And the ‘case of the week’ premise feels pretty weak. The Goldbergs are just ok but does the father really have to walk around in its briefs? I’m done with Trophy Wife. Did not like last night’s episode or their little subtle jab at Florida. Lucky 7 should have never been ordered to series. It’s not a compelling premise. At all. And the cast, from what I can tell, is not a cast that would draw an audience.

• Badpenny says:

I don’t know what show you’re talking about. AoS ended the night with a 3.3 tying The Blacklist as the highest rated new show in the second episode. Most new shows would kill to have a 3.3, or anything over 3.0. You’re acting like AoS got a 1.9 or some-such last night. Your own disappointment in the show is clearly showing through but you need to get over the idea that something you don’t care for others do and AoS is doing just fine even though you don’t like it.

• Babygate says:

This is the comments section, not the ‘experts’ section. This is my opinion based on my own observations. And I want it to succeed. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that it doesn’t have any problems. I don’t think SHIELD bombed. 3.3 is indeed very respectable. But add to that number the fact that it dropped from 4.7 last week and the context changes. The point is that there are serious flaws that need to be addressed, otherwise, all the fanbase cheering and support will not stop it from cancellation if the ratings continue to drop. We saw it happen to V which actually opened at 5.2 in its first season, then slid to an avg. of 3.4 only to end the season at 2.3. And by the second season it was gone. Revolution premiered higher than The Blacklist with a 4.1 and ended the season at 2.0 and opened this season with a 1.8. The point is that this type of genre is tricky. The execution has to be right or people will just walk away once the novelty wears off. That’s the reality. And btw, The Blacklist held much better on its second week than SHIELD. It only dropped .5 compared to 1.4.

44. Matts says:

I expect SHIELD to go up to about a 3.4-3.5 next week, since it will most likely be adjusted up today. It and NCIS do share somewhat of the same target audiences middle aged men and young people, with SHIELD more with the former and NCIS more with the latter. Also, It was Zivas goodbye this week and lots of people love Cote de Pablo and watch it because of her. Next week,SHIELD will rise (most likely) and NCIS will dip a tenth or two. Expect SHIELD to average in the 3.5 and 9 million area. Still a big hit for ABC if they keep advertising it like they have been.

45. N says:

I liked The Goldbergs! LOL!

46. Ali says:

SHIELD and Chicago Fire were both amazing last night. I’m impressed with SHIELD and the possible plots that are to come. And Chicago Fire proved last night why that was my favorite new drama last season. It’s one of the few shows where during commercials, I do not channel surf.

47. DavidSask says:

Enough about The Shield, its the rest of their Tuesday line-up that is disastrous! 80′s bad nostalgia no one wants, Too many shrieky wives in the TW and bad title to kill it for sure, and who ever green-lit Lucky 7 should lose their job, it was done before and poorly in past, plus no one wants to see lotto wins and fall outs!

• Babygate says:

“and who ever green-lit Lucky 7 should lose their job, it was done before and poorly in past, plus no one wants to see lotto wins and fall outs!”
      Agree 100%

48. Amanda says:

I’m wondering this too. Ziva leaving was a big deal (at least to me) and I watched NCIS and taped SHIELD. Next week I’m not watching NCIS anymore and switching to SHIELD. Guess I’m hoping others are doing the same, but we’ll see.

49. Temperance says:

SHIELD is just massive fun, but nothing was going to top Ziva’s departure. I almost watched because I couldn’t stand her. Nah, SHIELD was so much more fun.

50. Tee says:

Personally I am not crazy about most of the cast on SHIELD. I don’t know if it’s the acting, character development or what, but Coulson and Melinda May are the only ones I really like. (Well Maria Hill was good last week too, but I get why she can’t keep popping around.)