Fall TV Preview

Arrow Mystery Solved: Laurel's Season 2 Storyline Is to [Spoiler] the Vigilante!

Get More: Fall TV Preview, Scoop

Arrow Season 2 Spoilers LaurelShe’s MIA from Season 2′s first episodic pics. She landed in the back row of the new cast photo. And glammish geek girl Felicity and someone else playing Black Canary have commanded the female-centric buzz.

But make no mistake, The CW’s Arrow most certainly has a plan for Katie Cassidy and the character of Laurel Lance.

RELATED | Arrow Season 2: [Spoiler] Is Back — With a Vengeance? And More Casting News

As the superhero drama’s sophomore run opens up, months after the Undertaking that literally rattled Starling City, “Laurel’s joined the district attorney’s office … now that CNRI has been destroyed,” showrunner Andrew Kreisberg shared Tuesday on the set. “Her mission at the top of the season is to bring down the Arrow.”

(As for how Black Canary’s introduction in the form of a character played by Caity Lotz impacts the show’s first most likely candidate, Kreisberg previously maintained to TVLine: “[That] really is all Laurel’s story… another step in Laurel’s journey. [It] does not preclude Laurel from one day becoming the Black Canary.”)

RELATED | Arrow Casts Glee Villain Grant Gustin as The Flash, for Possible Spin-Off

Working alongside Laurel as she embraces her anti-vigilante cause is a new character, ADA Adam Donner (played by Dylan Bruce aka Orphan Black’s Hot Paul). “He’s a good guy, we hope,” Kreisberg said. “But he’s there as another foil for Laurel.”

Adam is also there as a callback to some “super” DNA, named as he is after 1978 Superman movie director Richard Donner. “We had a sign everywhere on the set that said, ‘Verisimilitude’” — as in Donner’s famous on-set mantra during that shoot. Meaning authenticity/plausibility, “That was the launch word for that movie,” Kreisberg said, “and that’s the word that we have adopted as well.” (With reporting from Vancouver by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (110)

• Yeah, have to agree with JC, I had no expectations going in and Laurel just didn’t click with me. I didn’t feel that spark between her and Oliver. With Felicity, I love her character, and I love the interaction between her and Oliver. So it’s nothing against Laurel or Katie, I just find her character one dimensional so far. With Felicity, I love the nerd layer which is proving to be undersored with courage and loyalty. And I don’t know if there is going back at this point!

Comment by Kayla – October 23, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Laurel, please give her better lines, increase her role! Love her with Arrow!!!

Comment by irishfan – October 25, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The character of Laurel sucks. Why did they ruin DInah oh why? I knew it from the pilot that her character was horrible.
    Plus Cassidy and Amell have ZERO chemistry. It’s actually a bit hard to watch. They are both so good looking but together. Nothing. Did they not screen test them together?

WHY did they ruin Dinah? WHY? I love comic Dinah Lance. But on the show I don’t want her there at all!

Comment by Heather – November 25, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I just say I actually shipped Oliver with Thea for a second that’s how much Amell and Cassidy lack chemistry. I was willing to go full Borgias to get some chemistry.

KC is a great actress just check her out on Supernatural but her and her character as Laurel don’t work. I think it’s the writing as well. She doesn’t gel.

Comment by Annie – November 25, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think you were the only one, judging from several comments I saw early on. There were quite a few people that thought that Willa Holland had better chemistry with Stephen Arnell than Katie Cassidy did.

Comment by JC – November 25, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry but the writers and producers of this show, if they already havnt, will realize that the on screen chemistry between Laurel and Oliver is absolutely terrible. Anyone with a brain can see that. Oliver doesn’t have to neccesarily be involved with Felicity to please fans. He just has to be with anyone but KC/Laurel. Someone here commented that KC haters are the minority. Unfortunately that is not the case. People who actually like KC in this show are a very tiny minority. The writers/producers know that if this show wants to run for more than 4 seasons, they need to write off KC’s character. This is Green Arrow not Superman. In no reality could the Clark Kent/Lois Lane romance be written off because that is an iconic relationship that could never be sacrificed because of poor casting. Fortunately Smallville got it right with Erica Durance, who many Superman fans agree that she may be the best live action version of Lois. However, Arrow is different. Fans hate KC as Black Canary and as a love interest for Oliver so much so that it would be completely worth it to tinker with the lore a bit and write her off. This show has so much potential but if the Laurel/Oliver thing sticks around fans will get tired and ultimately stop watching. Its sad that 1 character/actress could jepordize a show so much. I’m sure KC is a great actress for many roles but Arrow will NEVER be one of them.

Comment by jyu1037 – December 20, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not a fan of her. I liked her in the first season, but now I’m tired of Cassidy. Maybe it’s just her character, but she seems too hardened. Sh comes off as kind of a b**** more than anything else. Also, I know this is a small thing, but whoever is styling her hair and makeup… it’s all too dark and wrong for her skin and face shape, making her even uglier and more evil looking than ever.

Comment by e – January 18, 2014 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree with the makeup comment. She is by now a annoying character, but furthermore it’s really disgusting every time she appears, so unnatural, she seems like a doll. What is a real pitty, there must be a beautiful girl under all that makeup.

Comment by Roneo – February 10, 2014 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post