Exclusive

Exclusive: ABC Flips Switch on Lights, Camera, Christmas! Home Decorating Competition

ABC Lights Camera Christmas Competition‘Tis the season to be jolly — possibly all the way to the bank.

TVLine has learned exclusively that ABC this December will untangle and put on display Lights, Camera, Christmas!, a new competition series in which 16 families from across America trick out their homes in ways that would make even Clark Griswold envious — all with their eyes on a grand prize.

The 16 families — chosen through a nationwide search, based on their previous Christmas light displays, choreography and over-the-top designs — will compete four-at-a-time in weekly playoffs, after being given 21 days to make their homes as merry as can be.

The four finalists will then be flown to a surprise location (the North Pole? Whoville?) to compete for the best Christmas gift ever, $50,000. The series is produced by FremantleMedia North America’s Thom Beers and Jennifer Mullin and exec producers Brady Connell and Max Swedlow (Extreme Makeover: Home Edition).

(Not sanctioned by ABC is TVLine’s own plan to fine any of the finalists $50K, should they leave their lights up past Jan. 15.)

Will you be tuning in for this twinkly Christmas display? Have any neighbors who this competition was made for?

1. Derek says:

Tune in when?

2. Nessie says:

Love the insert picture. I watch that movie every year at Christmas.

3. liz says:

I already hate myself for knowing I’m totally going to watch this. Lol!

4. scooby says:

1) The neighbors of these people should consider a class action of some sort. It can’t be fun living next to the contestants. 2) I totally wanna watch it in a ‘it’s not in my backyard so it’s awesome’ kind of way. It’ll be pretty to look at when you can count on it going away after the episode is over.

• Bob Young says:

Actually its a lot of fun. Our neighbors and community thank us for making Christmas special. Anyway, I was wondering what happened to Ebenezer Scrooge. Now I know.

5. Diz says:

I want to apply!

6. sheri says:

My 8 year old will love this. I hope there are contestants from Dyker Heights, Brooklyn. I just don’t get the part about flying the contestants in. For what, a Christmas lights trivia contest?

7. JB says:

oh yes, I will be watching :)

8. Bob Young says:

We were contacted by the producer, but declined to participate. Our Christmas display is special to us. This year even more so. Our daughter Marie passed away this year, and we are dedicating this year’s display and future years to her memory. We also established a foundation in her memory to help other children to hopefully prevent other families from experiencing the tragedy and loss we’ve suffered.

9. Wally Wallace says:

One of our neighbors are one of the finalist in the composition. We were extras in the taping. Good luck to our friends. Hope you win the 50k. Go Georgetown Texas!

• Mickey M says:

My neighbor is in this contest too. We were also extras……. GO SAN RAFAEL CALIFORNIA!

• Bob Young says:

We passed on this. 50k isn’t that big a deal, and preferred to keep our privacy. Although our oldest daughter passed away this year, and would have given ABC a really good story line.

10. guy maxwell says:

How do you get involved in this contest for 2014,and is choreographing a requirement? we have way over 400,000. lights,thru away over 80,000.

11. siska says: