ABC Eyes Modern Family Spin-Off Series

Modern Family SpinoffABC may soon add a branch to its Family tree.

The network is in very early talks with 20th Century Fox TV to spin-off its hit comedy Modern Family, our sister site Deadline reports.

Details surrounding the prospective series are scarce, but one of several offshoot ideas being thrown around centers on memorable Family guest star Rob Riggle and his charmingly grating real estate agent character, Gil Thorpe.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Modern Family and 44 Other Returning Faves

Modern Family executive producers Paul Corrigan and Brad Walsh would pen and helm the project. The flagship’s co-creator Steve Levitan would also have some involvement in the prospective series.

Is a Modern Family spin-off a good idea? If not Gil Thorpe, which character(s) would you like to see off on their own?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News

1. Scott Brecht says:

Rob Riggle is THE WORST! Might as well add Dane Cook to the cast.

• Kreshb says:

wooooooow that’s soooo true man, blew my mind away with that comment ^^

• Zach says:

Riggle is a pro. One of the funniest men alive. And to his credit, Dane Cook isn’t a bad actor. He may be a horrible comedian, but Mr. Brooks, Dan in Real Life, his appearance on Louie. The guy can act well enough.

2. Damon says:

I have one question. And it’s why?

3. Liz says:

Can’t it be the whole family takes a family vacation to Guantanamo Bay, and then “mysteriously disappear”?? Both the show & spin-off would just be a long, very long cut to black. It would STILL be funnier than this broad-minded garbage.

• Elyse says:

you prefer narrow minded shows?

• Liz says:

If you’re asking me if I prefer shows like Louie & Parks & Recreation to The Big Bang Theory & Modern Family, then yes. I prefer narrow minded shows by 1,000,000 miles.

• Damon says:

Good thing no one is forcing you to watch it.

• Liz says:

It appears that some people aren’t as amazingly intelligent as I, as the only reason for their ratings is because they are being brain washed.

• Paul says:

I would argue that you’re the one being brainwashed. You read this web site and critic’s reviews and watch award shows and you think, “I better be cool and watch Louie”. How pathetic.

• Your “preference” does not make the preference of others “garbage”.

Rather than expressing your “preference”, then, I posit you are expressing your lack of both intellect and maturity.

• DL says:

It’s a family comedy. It’s something people can watch with their kids. Unlike “narrow” shows like Louie and Always Sunny, which are hilarious, but also filled with content not suitable for children.

• Zach says:

I am not a fan of either show, but for different reasons. I don’t like Louie because there is no real sense of continuity. Also Louis CK seems like a bit of a snob. I don’t like Always Sunny becomes I simply don’t find it funny. I’m not offended by it, I just think it tries to hard. I like Charlie Day, though. He was great in Horrible Bosses.

4. Duke says:

Awful, truly horrible idea.

He’s not charmingly grating, he’s just grating.

Honestly the only character on that show I’ve ever specifically never wanted to see again.

5. frank says:

How about cams family in Missouri

6. Rand says:

Seriously? I hope this is not true. That guy and his character made me skip the episode he was in as soon as he appeared. Not funny nor likable.

7. Smokey596 says:

Pepper (Nathan Lane)!!

8. Ron says:

Horrible, to the nth degree. Not a fan of Rob Riggle; even less of a fan of Gil Thorpe. Can anyone say annoying as hell? Worst character to pick for a spinoff. Instead of throwing their efforts behind a spinoff with possibly the worst guest star the show has seen, I’d much rather the writers and creators find a way to get the entire family down to Gloria’s home country of Colombia. I think that’d be a much more interesting episode than an entire crappy series about Gil. Oh Oh!!! Duel family vacations to Colombia and Cam’s Missouri. I would pretty much love those episodes. IF there had to be a spinoff about a guest character, I’d rather it be either Nathan Lane’s Pepper, or Elizabeth Banks’ character (can’t think of her character’s name right now…)

• Michelle says:

Duel is when you fight another person. Dual is something that goes together, like two family holidays.

• Ron says:

The sad thing is I know that. An error made by 1) typing my comment too fast, and 2) not proofreading my comment. It’s even more sad because I’m usually a stickler for grammar and spelling.

9. pam says:

How about the dude ranch in Wyoming and Dylan working there? It’s better than that horrible real estate agent.

10. CBWBDK1 says:

Rob Riggle is terrible!!!

11. Scott says:

Surely the most obvious spinoff would be if Haley, as the eldest of Jay’s grandchildren, entered a serious relationship with someone and looked to have her own family?

A Gil spinoff would not work. His character is annoying.

12. lizz says:

I would watch a show about pepper

13. RJ says:

Desiree(Brandy Ledford) the hot neighbor from The Bicycle Thief episode!! For two good reasons! She could just jog the whole show!

14. Zach says:

What’s wrong with a show about a jerk? Those are often the best kind! House? Monk? Rescue Me? The Office? All comedies about jerks, all great shows.

• Alex says:

I wouldn’t call Monk a jerk – he just had such overwhelming OCD that he had difficulties working within society. Very different from someone like Michael Scott.

• Zach says:

He was also a total cheapskate. I don’t think he’s as bad as the people from the other shows I listed, but I would say he’s somewhat of a douche.

At least Riggle has personality. I’ve seen many shows suffer because of bland leads.

• Duke says:

It’s all in how they play it.

House was more of a clever-minded smart ass who earned his smug sense of self-importance through actually being the smartest guy in the room.

In contrast, Riggle’s “Gil Thorpe” character is more like if a grade-school bully never outgrew picking on people, only earned his success through those bullying practices, and then further taunts those same people for his having gotten away with it.

15. Eli says:

Only three possible options:
    1. Build it around Pepper (Nathan Lane).
    2. Build it around the lesbian couple who we have now seen several times, I thought they were hilarious and I actually don’t think that premise has been used for a comedy before?
    3. Use one of the current main characters, separate them from the others and build it around them. Most obvious choice is Hailey as has been mentioned before.
    Whatever they do, please PLEASE do not use Rob Riggle, he’s funny as an occassional guest star, but way too grating to carry a show. Especially as that character.

• Mark says:

The lesbian couple are each in an ABC comedy currently albeit separate shows (that follow one another though).

How bout a show about Phil’s dad in his senior community. Maybe documentary style too? William Shatner could join, maybe Delta Burke.

16. Remember, folks, it will all depend upon the situation the character is in and the other actors in the ensemble.

As you may recall, most thought spinning off pompous Frasier Crane was a horrible idea as well. Give the brilliant MF creators and writers some credit here, folks.

17. Scott says:

Don’t bother unless it can actually be funny.

18. Shaun Ed says:

Maybe the spin-off can take the Emmy winning streak from Modern Family. :P

19. Why would you do a spin-off for a generally unliked character?

20. Morgen says:

Would rather see Nathan Lane in “A Dash Of Pepper.”

21. Ram510 says:

I like Rob Riggle even though he plays the same character in everything he does. However I don’t feel a show based on Gil Thorpe is the way to go for ABC

22. Ella says:

No. Just no.

23. sarah says:

Love Modern Family but will not watch the spinoff.

24. mary says:

they should take Greg Kinnears character (kiss on the mouth guy) and build the spin off around him!

25. FHL says:

Only character I could even imagine a spin-off from would be Dylan, and I don’t think I could take a whole show of him.

26. phredd! says:

How about bringing back Benjamin Bratt or Kevin Hart for a spinoff? ABC’s comedy lineup could use a splash of color . . .

27. nick says:

Never posted here before nor read any comments, but this website has the smuggest, snobbiest most self important posting community I’ve ever seen. You people should be embarrassed.

28. Trouty Mouth says:

I’d rather see a spin-off of, say, Gloria’s family in Colombia (maybe like Manny’s summer vacation or something), or Cam’s family in Missouri than a spin-off focused on an irrelevant character who appeared in one episode and who no one really cares about.

29. Judy says:

He’s like the guy on Rules of Engagement – don’t do it.