ABC Eyes Modern Family Spin-Off Series

Get More: News

Modern Family SpinoffABC may soon add a branch to its Family tree.

The network is in very early talks with 20th Century Fox TV to spin-off its hit comedy Modern Family, our sister site Deadline reports.

Details surrounding the prospective series are scarce, but one of several offshoot ideas being thrown around centers on memorable Family guest star Rob Riggle and his charmingly grating real estate agent character, Gil Thorpe.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Modern Family and 44 Other Returning Faves

Modern Family executive producers Paul Corrigan and Brad Walsh would pen and helm the project. The flagship’s co-creator Steve Levitan would also have some involvement in the prospective series.

Is a Modern Family spin-off a good idea? If not Gil Thorpe, which character(s) would you like to see off on their own?

Comments (56)

• Rob Riggle is THE WORST! Might as well add Dane Cook to the cast.

Comment by Scott Brecht – September 29, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wooooooow that’s soooo true man, blew my mind away with that comment ^^

Comment by Kreshb – September 29, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Riggle is a pro. One of the funniest men alive. And to his credit, Dane Cook isn’t a bad actor. He may be a horrible comedian, but Mr. Brooks, Dan in Real Life, his appearance on Louie. The guy can act well enough.

Comment by Zach – September 29, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have one question. And it’s why?

Comment by Damon – September 29, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • E

Comment by Elly – September 29, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can agree with your question.

Comment by Tom Charles – September 29, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t it be the whole family takes a family vacation to Guantanamo Bay, and then “mysteriously disappear”?? Both the show & spin-off would just be a long, very long cut to black. It would STILL be funnier than this broad-minded garbage.

Comment by Liz – September 29, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you prefer narrow minded shows?

Comment by Elyse – September 29, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you’re asking me if I prefer shows like Louie & Parks & Recreation to The Big Bang Theory & Modern Family, then yes. I prefer narrow minded shows by 1,000,000 miles.

Comment by Liz – September 29, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Good thing no one is forcing you to watch it.

Comment by Damon – September 29, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It appears that some people aren’t as amazingly intelligent as I, as the only reason for their ratings is because they are being brain washed.

Comment by Liz – September 29, 2013 02:36 PM PDT
          • I would argue that you’re the one being brainwashed. You read this web site and critic’s reviews and watch award shows and you think, “I better be cool and watch Louie”. How pathetic.

Comment by Paul – September 30, 2013 06:12 AM PDT
        • Your “preference” does not make the preference of others “garbage”.

Rather than expressing your “preference”, then, I posit you are expressing your lack of both intellect and maturity.

Comment by Allen (@StillCrazy808) – September 29, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a family comedy. It’s something people can watch with their kids. Unlike “narrow” shows like Louie and Always Sunny, which are hilarious, but also filled with content not suitable for children.

Comment by DL – September 29, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am not a fan of either show, but for different reasons. I don’t like Louie because there is no real sense of continuity. Also Louis CK seems like a bit of a snob. I don’t like Always Sunny becomes I simply don’t find it funny. I’m not offended by it, I just think it tries to hard. I like Charlie Day, though. He was great in Horrible Bosses.

Comment by Zach – September 29, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awful, truly horrible idea.

He’s not charmingly grating, he’s just grating.

Honestly the only character on that show I’ve ever specifically never wanted to see again.

Comment by Duke – September 29, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about cams family in Missouri

Comment by frank – September 29, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Better than Gil Thorpe or Pepper.

Comment by Tom Charles – September 29, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? I hope this is not true. That guy and his character made me skip the episode he was in as soon as he appeared. Not funny nor likable.

Comment by Rand – September 29, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pepper (Nathan Lane)!!

Comment by Smokey596 – September 29, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!

Comment by Sarabi – September 29, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Already scored a pilot at HBO. It’s called The Money.

Comment by Zach – September 29, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • pass

Comment by Tom Charles – September 29, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Horrible, to the nth degree. Not a fan of Rob Riggle; even less of a fan of Gil Thorpe. Can anyone say annoying as hell? Worst character to pick for a spinoff. Instead of throwing their efforts behind a spinoff with possibly the worst guest star the show has seen, I’d much rather the writers and creators find a way to get the entire family down to Gloria’s home country of Colombia. I think that’d be a much more interesting episode than an entire crappy series about Gil. Oh Oh!!! Duel family vacations to Colombia and Cam’s Missouri. I would pretty much love those episodes. IF there had to be a spinoff about a guest character, I’d rather it be either Nathan Lane’s Pepper, or Elizabeth Banks’ character (can’t think of her character’s name right now…)

Comment by Ron – September 29, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Duel is when you fight another person. Dual is something that goes together, like two family holidays.

Comment by Michelle – September 29, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The sad thing is I know that. An error made by 1) typing my comment too fast, and 2) not proofreading my comment. It’s even more sad because I’m usually a stickler for grammar and spelling.

Comment by Ron – September 29, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about the dude ranch in Wyoming and Dylan working there? It’s better than that horrible real estate agent.

Comment by pam – September 29, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rob Riggle is terrible!!!

Comment by CBWBDK1 – September 29, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surely the most obvious spinoff would be if Haley, as the eldest of Jay’s grandchildren, entered a serious relationship with someone and looked to have her own family?

A Gil spinoff would not work. His character is annoying.

Comment by Scott – September 29, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A show about Haley sounds like a good series to make after Modern Family is over – like how Frasier was made after Cheers.

Comment by Alex – September 29, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God NO!

Comment by A.D. – September 29, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • n o

Comment by s – September 29, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch a show about pepper

Comment by lizz – September 29, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Desiree(Brandy Ledford) the hot neighbor from The Bicycle Thief episode!! For two good reasons! She could just jog the whole show!

Comment by RJ – September 29, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s wrong with a show about a jerk? Those are often the best kind! House? Monk? Rescue Me? The Office? All comedies about jerks, all great shows.

Comment by Zach – September 29, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t call Monk a jerk – he just had such overwhelming OCD that he had difficulties working within society. Very different from someone like Michael Scott.

Comment by Alex – September 29, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was also a total cheapskate. I don’t think he’s as bad as the people from the other shows I listed, but I would say he’s somewhat of a douche.

At least Riggle has personality. I’ve seen many shows suffer because of bland leads.

Comment by Zach – September 29, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s all in how they play it.

House was more of a clever-minded smart ass who earned his smug sense of self-importance through actually being the smartest guy in the room.

In contrast, Riggle’s “Gil Thorpe” character is more like if a grade-school bully never outgrew picking on people, only earned his success through those bullying practices, and then further taunts those same people for his having gotten away with it.

Comment by Duke – September 29, 2013 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only three possible options:
    1. Build it around Pepper (Nathan Lane).
    2. Build it around the lesbian couple who we have now seen several times, I thought they were hilarious and I actually don’t think that premise has been used for a comedy before?
    3. Use one of the current main characters, separate them from the others and build it around them. Most obvious choice is Hailey as has been mentioned before.
    Whatever they do, please PLEASE do not use Rob Riggle, he’s funny as an occassional guest star, but way too grating to carry a show. Especially as that character.

Comment by Eli – September 29, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The lesbian couple are each in an ABC comedy currently albeit separate shows (that follow one another though).

How bout a show about Phil’s dad in his senior community. Maybe documentary style too? William Shatner could join, maybe Delta Burke.

Comment by Mark – September 29, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are right of course, but maybe both Trophy Wife and The Goldbergs will get canceled? Then it could happen!

Comment by Eli – September 30, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember, folks, it will all depend upon the situation the character is in and the other actors in the ensemble.

As you may recall, most thought spinning off pompous Frasier Crane was a horrible idea as well. Give the brilliant MF creators and writers some credit here, folks.

Comment by Allen (@StillCrazy808) – September 29, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t bother unless it can actually be funny.

Comment by Scott – September 29, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe the spin-off can take the Emmy winning streak from Modern Family. :P

Comment by Shaun Ed – September 29, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would you do a spin-off for a generally unliked character?

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – September 29, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would rather see Nathan Lane in “A Dash Of Pepper.”

Comment by Morgen – September 29, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Rob Riggle even though he plays the same character in everything he does. However I don’t feel a show based on Gil Thorpe is the way to go for ABC

Comment by Ram510 – September 29, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. Just no.

Comment by Ella – September 29, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Diz – September 29, 2013 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Modern Family but will not watch the spinoff.

Comment by sarah – September 30, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they should take Greg Kinnears character (kiss on the mouth guy) and build the spin off around him!

Comment by mary – September 30, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only character I could even imagine a spin-off from would be Dylan, and I don’t think I could take a whole show of him.

Comment by FHL – September 30, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about bringing back Benjamin Bratt or Kevin Hart for a spinoff? ABC’s comedy lineup could use a splash of color . . .

Comment by phredd! – September 30, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never posted here before nor read any comments, but this website has the smuggest, snobbiest most self important posting community I’ve ever seen. You people should be embarrassed.

Comment by nick – September 30, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather see a spin-off of, say, Gloria’s family in Colombia (maybe like Manny’s summer vacation or something), or Cam’s family in Missouri than a spin-off focused on an irrelevant character who appeared in one episode and who no one really cares about.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – October 18, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s like the guy on Rules of Engagement – don’t do it.

Comment by Judy – November 6, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post