Breaking Bad Finale Recap: 'Just Get Me Home, I'll Do the Rest' [Updated]

Breaking Bad FinaleBreaking Bad has gone dark one last time, and after seeing how Vince Gilligan & Co. chose to wrap Walter White’s journey, I say this with all of the sincerity in my being:

Yeah, bitch!

RELATEDBreaking Bad Prequel Spin-Off Better Call Saul Ordered to Series at AMC

The amazing series ended with an equally impressive episode, which connected all of the flashforwards we’d seen and methodically led to the story’s conclusion. It gave us closure on everyone we cared about – and satisfyingly finished off the ones we really wanted to see put in the ground.

Though I’d like to keep talking about the show for as long as possible, we can’t put off the series finale recap forever. So let’s review the major developments of the final episode, “Felina.”

ROAD TRIP! | Just after leaving the bar in the previous episode, Walt finds an unlocked car and unsuccessfully tries to get it started using only a screwdriver. Police lights behind him cause him to utter a prayer of sorts: “Just get me home. I’ll do the rest.” The lights pass, and he finds the vehicle’s keys in the driver’s side visor. Walt drives off to the strains of a Marty Robbins cassette he finds in the glove compartment: “Tomorrow, a bullet may find me; tonight, nothing’s worse than this pain in my heart.”

He motors cross-country and stops to get gas and make a call once he’s reached the desert southwest. Walt pretends to be a New York Times reporter doing a story on Elliot and Gretchen Schwartz; a pleasant tone and the right questions help him learn where the Gray Matter founders are living these days, as well as when they’ll be back from a trip to New York. Once Walt hangs up, he takes off the watch Jesse gave him for his 51st birthday, lays it atop the pay phone and leaves. (Side note: Gilligan’s twofold story behind this gesture, revealed during this week’s Talking Bad, is a classic. Check it out if you haven’t.)

GUESS WHO? | The Schwartzes return to their posh home, and they’re so busy nattering on about ridiculously expensive New York restaurants that they don’t realize Walt is sitting in their courtyard… and entering their home… and picking up their knickknacks. “I really like your new house,” he tells Gretchen when she screams upon seeing him. Elliott anemically lunges forward with a kitchen knife, and I laugh at the tiredly amused tone of Walt’s voice as he says, “Elliott, if we’re going to go that way, you’re going to need a bigger knife.”

No, Walt’s not there to kill them. He instead asks them a favor: They will take the more than $9 million in cash he’s stacked on their coffee table, and they will put it in an irrevocable trust for Walter Jr. That way, the government won’t be able to prove it came from him, and therefore won’t be able to seize it. They shake on it, but you just know those two aren’t going to follow through – and so does Walt. Heisenberg does a Obi-Wan-like hand gesture, and two red dots from laser sights suddenly appear on Elliott and Gretchen’s chests. He informs the couple that “the two best hit men west of the Mississippi” are outside their home and will follow them to make sure that Walt’s kids get their rightful inheritance. Otherwise, “Pop! Darkness.” (Side note: Did you giggle, too, when Gretchen nearly soiled her Chanel at Walt’s “pop!”?) “Cheer up, beautiful people,” Walt says with disdain. “This is where you get to make it right.”

Outside, the two “hitmen” are revealed as Monsieurs Skinny Pete and Badger brandishing laser pointers. Ha! Not gonna lie: The guys’ appearance made me supremely happy. When Walt asks, they confirm that blue meth is still in circulation, but they’d assumed he was the one cooking it. Since Walt’s not, everyone in the car realizes, it’s gotta be Jesse.

And after a brief, golden-lit montage of a healthy, happy Jesse lovingly crafting a wooden box, we snap back to reality: Jesse is beat up, broken and still chained like Fido in Todd’s meth lab.

‘PLEASE DON’T MAKE ME WALK YOU THROUGH THIS’ | Then, in short order, we go from the events of this season’s premiere to the events of its finale. I’ll shorthand it for you: 52 in bacon, new car with a gun in the trunk and ricin retrieval at the Whites’ former home (complete with a flashback to the birthday party in the pilot).

Next we see Walt, he’s at a restaurant where Todd and Lydia are meeting. He crashes their table and begs for an audience with Uncle Jack and the gang; Walt has a “new method” of cooking that requires no methylamine, he says, and will show them how to do it for $1 million. She sends him on his way and then makes it clear to the very slow Todd that they will not be doing business with his former meth mentor. Lady Banjo Eyes then dumps the contents of a stevia packet into her tea, a move the camera follows with interest…

HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT | Marie calls Skyler to warn her that Walt’s back in town and may come to see her. Skyler’s smoking and her face is blank as she thanks her sister – then the camera moves and we see that Walt has actually been in her kitchen, hidden from our view by a pole, the whole time. Nice reveal, Breaking Bad! “You look terrible,” she tells him. “Yeah, but I feel good,” he replies, adding that, “It’s over, and I needed a proper goodbye.”

He gives her the lotto ticket with the GPS coordinates on it – “That’s where they’ll find Hank and Steve Gomez,” he says, causing Skyler to start crying. He urges her to trade the information for a deal with the prosecutor. “You get yourself out of this.” But when she forbids him to say that what he’s done was for the family, he easily acquiesces. “I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really… I was alive.” (You might wanna put on some black and tuck a few tissues up your sleeve, because Bryan Cranston just killed it!) After a brief parting glance at both Flynn and Holly – neither of whom are aware he’s there — Walt leaves.

RETRIBUTION | Walt gains access to the Nazis’ compound, where he insists on parking at a certain angle next to the clubhouse. As the thugs check him for weapons and wires, we see he’s only carrying his wallet and a keyring remote for the car’s locks; it’s the same one we saw him use earlier as he rigged up some sort of auto gun thingee in the desert.

Jack quickly dismisses Walt’s new method and orders him killed, but Walt denounces Jack as welching on his agreement to kill Jesse. Jack scoffs at Jack’s insistence that Jesse is a “partner” in their meth operation; to prove it, he has Todd fetch Pinkman from the lab. (Side note: The dejected way Aaron Paul shuffles hurriedly after Todd speaks volumes about Jesse’s spirit at this point, no?) Once Jesse is in the clubhouse, Walt launches himself at his former protégé, covering the younger man’s body as they hit the floor. You think at first he’s angry, but he’s really activating the car’s remote: An automatic machine gun starts strafing the entire building with bullets, hitting everyone except Todd and Jesse. Yep, you read that right: Walt takes a bullet in his abdomen.

Todd is dumbfounded by what’s happened; his daze allows Jesse to come up behind him and strangle him with his wrist irons. (Side note: Yesssssss.) Meanwhile, Walt grabs a gun from the ground and aims it at Uncle Jack, who’s dying but not gone yet. If Walt wants to know where his money is, Jack reasons, he shouldn’t kill him. “You pull that trigger, you’ll never –” but the slimeball never finishes his thought, because Walt turns his head into hamburger.

I DID IT MY WAY | So it’s just Walt and Jesse standing, looking at each other, and Walt kicks the gun over to Pinkman. Jesse aims it at him, bewildered, and Walt tells him, “Do it. You want this.” But Jesse gets his former teacher to admit that he wants to die; after noticing that Walt is bleeding from the belly, Jesse says, “Then do it yourself” and walks out. He jumps in a car and speeds out of the compound, crying and laughing and yelling all at the same time. Though I don’t think Jesse will ever have a normal life and I fear for his mental state, I’m not sad that he survives the series. (Agree? Disagree? That’s what the comments section is for.)

Meanwhile, Lydia calls Todd’s cell (he’s changed his ringtone to “Lydia, the Tattooed Lady,” which is awesome), and Walt picks up. It’s clear that she’d ordered the gang to kill Heisenberg; she’s surprised when he’s alive… and even more surprised when he announces that he slipped ricin in her stevia packet at the restaurant. So that flu-like feeling she’s having right now? It’s going to get a heck of a lot worse. I guess those sugar substitutes really do kill!

His business concluded, Walt strolls through the lab and looks fondly on its implements. Cop cars arrive in the background, but he isn’t worried. And as he collapses onto the ground and the camera ascends toward the rafters, it’s clear that Walter White – now penniless, family-less and lifeless — is at peace for perhaps the first time since we met him.

Now it’s your turn. Grade the episode via the poll below, then back up your choice in the comments!

1. Tim says:

ok, HOW did Walt get the ricin in the Stivia packet, sealed and unnoticeable, and know which table, etc., did I miss that set up?

• Nick Lenzi says:

It wouldn’t be that hard to get it in the packet in an unnoticable way. She would sit at the exact same table every time they met there and always used the stivia sugar (asked for it whenever she has her tea) and lastly there was only one stivia packet on the table.

PS
      Bitch had it coming amirite?

• Lon says:

Exactly. Walt could have easily taken all the Stivia packets out of the container and slipped the ricin in moments before Lydia sat there. She’s a creature of habit; always the same diner, always at 10am, always on Tuesdays, always at the same table, and always Stivia. And notice she did mention she’d need more Stivia, as there was only one left. So Walt slipped the ricin into the pack, knowing for a fact that she’d use it.

• Guest me says:

Umm…..he sprinkled it into her cup, not within the artifial sugar packet.

2. Fred says:

WHO are the dopes who voted this subpar? This ending was BRILLIANT. If you don’t know why, you don’t know anything. And the final moments, when “Baby Blue” breaks in with that opening line “Guess I got what I deserved,” is BEYOND brilliant. It’s cosmic. The tie-in with this song was out-of-the-universe genius. The final shot of him admiring the apparatus, and his blood running down as he loses his grip and falls, and is on the ground, dead, with a smile on his face . . . there are no words. Vince Gilligan is KING. PERIOD.

3. Joey says:

Great finale for a great show.

4. joe says:

hey moron. your title is the spoiler.

5. JR says:

I didn’t like the ending for 2 reasons…Marie and Skylar are still breathing air, and the whole “you calling me a liar” scene to get them to bring in Jesse was a joke and not belivable at all.

Other than that, (and possibly I don’t understand why Walt would feel he would have to kill Lydia) the finale buttoned up everything nicely.

• Mo says:

Lydia was the one who sent Todd after Skylar, and she had wanted him to kill her. That’s enough for Walt to want her dead. If Lydia had lived (whether or not Walt died) she probably would have followed through because Skylar could still tie her to Walt & was still facing a trial.

• Death isn’t always the worst punishment. For Marie and Skyler, the fact that their relationship is irreparable is a huge blow to Marie. For Skyler, her son will never fully trust her, and one day she’ll have to explain all of this to Holly. On top of that, she’s still facing trial for her involvement with Walt’s operation.

• Guest me says:

Exactly, both are now widows who now have to handle the aftermath of their husbands actions. Especially Skyler, who has to deal with possibly mending a relationship with her sister and if she believes her that the neo nazis killed hank instead of Walter and her mending the relationship of her children as well. Just because the character didn’t physically die doesn’t mean they where harmed dramatically! Even Jesse who was spared from being shot,doesn’t really have a future. He will be traumatized by the events he witnessed and always feel responsible for the lives he killed.

• Guest me says:

Why wouldn’t Walt want to kill Lydia? She had Todd and his crew assault skyler in their own home while holding their young child. I would say based on the other reasons Walter white had other people killed, she would qualify as well…also,she could be a potential witness that could disrupt his wife’s story over being a harmless victim as the wife of a meth king pin.

6. Jason says:

It’s great and all that you have a spoiler warning at the top of your article.

It’s not great and all that you spoiled the ending in the URL *AND* Title of the page both of which are now prominent on Google.

• Celeste says:

Watch the damned show, and you won’t be spoiled. I’m sick of people whining about “spoilers.” If you haven’t seen the finale, you should stay off the internet, because I guarantee you you’ll be spoiled. Idiots.

• Lewis says:

Celeste:

1) I am living in the UK, therefore the episode was not available to me until 9am this morning, and I work.

2) my job required me to be on this site therefore had no choice in seeing this spoiler title.

Articles with spoilers within are ok, but spoilers in the title ruin it for people who haven’t had the option to watch it.

Perhaps you should think it through before you start branding people idiots…

7. Nick Lenzi says:

I loved this show from beginning to almost end, up until this finale. Not to say it was a terrible episode but it just completely lacked any and all flavor all the other shows had. When the credits rolled all I felt was “meh” rather than the feeling of amazement that every other episode left me in. It just felt like every loose end was neatly tied up in a very boring and obvious manner rather than feeling epic and end-all. This finale gets a C- in my book. Very dissapointing.

8. Kobe says:

Well done, Breaking Bad, well done. And glad Jesse is still alive.

9. QuietArashi says:

B.S. I voted just “OK”. Glad that Heisenberg got to do up a trust fud for the kids.

NOT happy that Pinkman survives. This is a junkie. And he will go back to his ways, we can safely conclude and, yes, be the thing he kept talking about — a bitch (he sure cried like one in these last few episodes). Oh, well. Junkies are super heroes nowadays. Right?

Ridiculous. You just had a feeling Gilligan would’ve allowed White/Heisenberg to live.

The Sopranos last episode/ending still rules in 21st Century television anti-hero fare. Gilligan. You blew it. Too much build up. Everyone should learn from The Sopranos ending. It’s OK to end in medias res, you know? No problem with that.

• Dez says:

Interesting. I did not care for the closing of Sopranos, to me it seemed like a cop-out and a way to eventually have a reunion or movie. I like the finite feeling to BB. As far as Jesse, he was a junkie, but was finally able to clean up his ways midway through season 4 (thank to the help of Mike.) I would not have minded him dying when when Hank did (you just don’t rat on your partners in crime), but after thinking about it he was the only one who showed true guilt for his actions. He had a redeemable quality about him that makes me believe going forward he will stay as far away from meth and the drug business as possible. He has Brock to watch over.

• You’re one of the few who likes the ending to The Sopranos, but for a show that was about ambiguity, I agree it worked for The Sopranos. Here’s the problem with comparing the Breaking Bad finale to The Sopranos finale: they both looked at the world of crime through different lenses. Breaking Bad was never going to end ambiguously, it dealt in concretes not ambiguity.

As far as Jesse: Jesse has shown a capacity for change. The times he faded into the life of a junkie were when he felt hopeless. When all appeared to be lost he turned to drugs. But when he was given hope, like when Mike worked with him in season 4, he turned away from drugs. He’s been given a new lease on life, I don’t think he’ll be turning to drugs again. If that’s all you can see in the character, and this is all you’re getting from Breaking Bad, then you missed the nuance of the show and misinterpreted what it stood for.

10. Dez says:

I loved the fact that the finale was methodically paced. They did not try to turn it into an hour long action/shoot-em movie. They stayed true to their character driven story telling. The most powerful scene (in my opinion) was Walter telling Skylar “I did it for me. I loved it. I was alive.” This is how a show should end. My all time favorite series finale is ‘Six Feet Under’, but this is a close second.

11. QuietArashi says:

* trust fund, sorry about that.

Look deep inside, all. This is Heisenberg’s story. Did he deserve to go down like that? Those he put down deserved to be put down (in fiction, of course :) ). You gotta think abouit these things.

• Mosh says:

Did Walt/Heisenberg deserve to go down like that? Yes. Depending on whom you ask, he either earned that death by being a criminal, by heroically trying to protect Jesse, or by being suicidal (his conversation with Skylar shows he never expected to come out of this alive).

P.S. For someone with “Quiet” in your screen name, you sure have a lot to say about your dislike of this finale!

• QuietArashi says:

Ah, be fair . . . you gotta find out what arashi means in order to fully judge my screen name. And when you do, well, you will see how funky my moniker [yes, you might have to look that word up, OK? OK.] is. Your comment also tells me that you lack Japanese language faculty. So, go learn it and then you can make as much bank as a brotha’ (need no drug money in this hizzy of a Quiet Arashi ;) .

• Mosh says:

OK, no need to sass. I was merely commenting (in a joking manner) about the irony of a person whose screen name includes the word “quiet” being so vocal (or the keyboard equivalent thereof… it’s late/early here & I’m a little fuzzy in the brain.) I have looked up your name & see the irony there as well. Haven’t really found a need for Japanese language facility in my day to day life because of google translate and/or subtitles, so I gave up on it years ago.

And what happened to this: “Whoever can call me troll all you want. At least I’m participating in the discussion and staying on topic” Um, not.

12. N says:

I liked everything except the fact they never explained what happened to cost Walt his spot at Gray Matter and why was he so pissed at Gretchen and Elliot from really the beginning of the show. I would have appreciated any kind of reason as to why he wasn’t part of a Billion Dollar Company his name is apart of as I feel it would really explain a lot about him. Gretchen even alluded to something that happened years ago on the 4th of July, what was that about. I kept waiting for Talking Bad to bring it up and Chris Hardwick decided not to question a thing about the episode out of respect I suppose. Also why was Jimmy Kimmel on talking bad, he added nothing whatsoever .

13. Bruce X says:

I felt ‘satisfied’ with the finale. No big surprises, and it went about the way I expected, with only a question as to whether Jesse would live or die.

I’d give it about a 9 out of 10.

14. That Guy says:

Not to be one of those guys, but wouldn’t you hit the deck when bullets started flying though your walls? The garage door contraption didn’t move the gun that fast.

15. john says:

What about saul?

16. Doug says:

Thank God that Walter White did ‘not’ go into logging!Seriously, a tremendous ending to a brilliant series.

17. Chili Palmer says:

I loved the finale. Maybe not quite as dark or ambiguous as some might have preferred, but I like candy, and that’s what I’ve always liked about the show.

One small concern, and not necessarily about the finale, Walt and Jesse repeatedly had a love/hate relationship. Walt only decided to kill Jesse when he was faced with the decision that it was Jesse or his freedom. Once he knew it was “end game” time, why would his beef with Jesse still be so strong, considering all they’ve bounced back from before? Walt wanting Jesse dead never seemed real to me, and seemed a little forced. Maybe it was an effort to make Walt seem extra evil, (telling Jesse he let Jane die). Or maybe he wanted Jesse to hate him, somehow for Jesse’s own sake. But then why release him to the custody of Uncle Jack? He clearly wanted to save Jesse because he went to kill Uncle Jack’s crew. And why? For the money? No, he shot Jack with no regard for Jack’s attempt to use the money as a bargaining chip. He was there ONLY to save Jesse.

So, either I’m not quite smart enough, or the final Walt/Jesse circumstances don’t make perfect sense.

BTW, after the credits rolled, I enjoyed the quick flash to see Huell still sitting in that chair. Okay, that didn’t happen, but I wish it had.

• Faster says:

I don’t think he was only there to save Jesse, though. My impression was that he was there to take down Uncle Jack and the nazis, and the decision to jump on Jesse and save him was a last-minute, split-second one.

18. QuietArashi says:

Here. Another thing for you “A+! Great ending!” types to ponder:

Heisenberg gives Skyler the coordinates of the location where Hank and Gomez are buried? So that she can make a deal with the DEA and get out of this?

Uh. Not so fast.

Because, uh, crybaby-laughing-b1tch Pinkman may just be driving over to the DEA to let ‘em know first!

Vince Gilligan rushed this. It’s as if Picasso decided to use kindergarten felt pens for the last strokes of his works (which he didn’t we know), which would have rendered a masterpiece as something else.

Yeah. “Transformation” all right. Transformation from “great” to “crap.” Will be saving money on the blu-Ray complete series that I would have bought.

• KenM says:

Walt had no intention of letting Jesse live at the point he gave Skyler the GPS coordinates. He was convinced that Jesse was betraying him by cooking the blue without him. His symbolic abandonment of the watch Jesse gave him was an indication of his mindset at the time. Until he discovered the truth of the situation, he was even madder at Jesse than the Nazis who let him live. Also, while the DEA might come to Jesse, I do not see Jesse going to the DEA at this point for any reason.

• Mosh says:

Exactly. And once he found out the truth, he still wasn’t sure he was going to let him live. It was literally a split-second decision. I doubt Jesse is planning to go anywhere except (maybe) check on Brock, then get the hell outta Dodge.

• QuietArashi says:

Whoever can call me troll all you want. At least I’m participating in the discussion and staying on topic (i.e., not calling anyone “trolls” and that’s it).

Had to watch it again. Tell you why the the likes of Pinkman ended up surviving:

• They’re the type who can be excused as they are a victim of their environment (though he did a good job of disrespecting his parents w/the behind-the-back purchase of his aunt’s house).

• Just more Hollywood-isms of “feel bad and reward drug users/dealers” (Savages, anyone?)

• Because a family man fighting the establishment for his family is always bad, pardon the pun.

Uh, maybe I gotta watch it ONE more ti . . . ah, who the heck am I kidding. Crap is crap the day after next to forever.

Above all, this was junk. Compared to all that went on, this ending had a ring of familiarity. Admit it.

That Todd and Lydia ate it was the diamonds in the rough. But, who DIDN’T see that coming?

Some of Chris Hardwick on Talking Bad‘s first words were “Walt White is dead.” With Vince Gilligan right there. So there’s no Walter White coming back.

Onward and upward as Nucky Thompson says.

• KenM says:

I think you may have responded to the wrong post.

• You contradict yourself.
          1) There was a certain amount of Jesse was a victim of his surroundings. You cite the fact that he disrespected his parents by buying his aunt’s house, but they’re obviously absentee parents who put a massive strain on their kids to be perfect. When we first meet his family, we find out that Jesse’s little brother is smoking pot. Parents of that nature typically drive their kids in the opposite direction they intend to, and that’s what we see in Jesse: someone with a lot of potential (as we saw when Mike actually showed him some respect and guidance) that was lost due to authority figures not guiding him properly.
          2) It’s called FICTION! In reality, the major drug dealers never got away with it. Jesse kept trying to get out and Walt kept pulling him back in. Walt was the drug dealer that deserved to die. Jesse kept trying to reform, but anytime he had upward momentum he was brought down by Walt who used it to demean and belittle Jesse to make him do what he wanted. If someone is continuously told that they will never amount to more than what they are, they will eventually believe it and will never amount to anything. It’s not about feeling bad or rewarding drug-users/dealers, it’s about humanity. Personally, I think you missed the whole point of Breaking Bad, but that’s a different discussion.
          3) Here’s where you contradict yourself. You salute Walt as a family man fighting the establishment for his family, but you said before in a derogatory manner “Just more Hollywood-isms of feel bad and reward drug users/dealers”. The man supposedly fighting for his family became a drug kingpin, and then in the end he admitted (and if you’ve actually seen the show you already knew this) that he did it for himself not his family.
          Just because something feels familiar, or inevitable (which I think is a better way to describe the finale than familiar), doesn’t mean it’s bad or it was junk. It means that it fit the series to a tee in this case. I think you’re problem is that you didn’t “get” the show to begin with. The comments that I’ve read from you bear out my analysis.

• QuietArashi says:

Well, your self-laced “analysis” REEKS of being a lazy bear.

Jesse got away with a lot of things relative to what White and family had to “bear” (yuk yuks).

Man. Ocean park seal-fin-clappers, sometimes.. “Errrr-errr- argh argh, finale is good, no question, ‘Nother fish for my agreement?”

• Your comment reeks of incoherence. Respond when you can come up with a coherent thought.

• I’m surprised no one has mentioned this, but QuietArashi obviously hasn’t bothered to A) watch the episode, or B) pay attention. Walter White told Skyler to call the DEA the moment he left her. That was much earlier in the day from when he killed the Nazi gang and freed Jesse. So there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that Jesse could drive to the DEA and let them know the location of the bodies before Skyler lets them know.
      It sounds to me like your comment was rushed before you had a chance to actually pay attention to the episode.

• QuietArashi says:

Didn’t seem like she was in the mood to do any of that. In any case, more of a loose end . . . we don’t know if Skyler actually did it or not. Not a troll, here. Not a fin-clapping ocean park dolphin either :) .

• So if your only reasoning for this being a plot hole is that it didn’t seem like she was in the mood to call the DEA then you really don’t have a leg to stand on. If she wants to give the feds any kind of information that will lead to leniency from the prosecution, then she’ll get on the phone right away or she’s going to risk losing her children and freedom. Also, that information is possibly the only way to mend her relationship with Marie, as well as give the remaining members of the family some closure.

Fin-clapping ocean park dolphins are actually quite intelligent, and are known for leading on their “trainers” as much as they are for doing cute tricks. What you are, though, is a contrarian who has no real purpose for doing so. You have no real valid points, you just want to go against the grain because you think it’s the cool thing to do. More power to you, but you’re not really saying anything worth listening to here.

19. Jerri says:

Eh. Worse than Dexter’s finale.

20. Lon says:

A perfect ending to a near-perfect series. I for one am glad Jesse lived. He’s lost more in the show than anyone, Walt included; at least Walt’s family is alive and will eventually be rich. Jesse lost two women he loved, spent six months getting abused and forced to cook and damn near lost his very sanity. He DESERVED a happy ending. The biggest heartbreak for me was Hank being killed. Dean Norris is such a terrific actor and he gave so much in that role. I actually cried when Uncle Jack squeezed that trigger, as Hank was my favorite supporting character in the show. As for Cranston, what can I say? He’s been note-perfect from episode one. As much praise as the guy gets for his performance, it’s still not enough. And incidentally, did anyone else think maybe Walt DIDN’T die at the end? There wasn’t a great deal of blood and the bullet wound he sustained wasn’t exactly to a vital organ. There’s just as good a chance that he simply collapsed, and was alive as he lay there staring at the ceiling. Just sayin’. Anyway, a great finale to a great show.

21. Jill says:

I loved it. However, as Walt put his hand on the tank I said out loud, to myself: “He’s going to bleed out?!!?” I guess I was expecting an epic death, but then again, this ending was Walt at the core. I laughed, I cried, I was anxious…just like I was with the whole series.

• Jill says:

Oh, and I forgot about the sound continuity in sound in the last scenes was amazing. The continuation of the gun & the wheel shooting it & the sound of the recliner moving up & down. That they continued those sounds in the silence was amazing. Kept me in the moment of what just happened. That was pure excellence in film making.

22. QuietArashi says:

Jesse deserved a happy ending. Right. He was dealing, destroying lives with his own dealing long before Walt. And, oh, I recall a certain karaoke-ist/admirer of Walter White who was gunned down by Pinkman. Yeah. Poor little Pinkman.

Think I’m almost done. No need to waste time on a series that I think should be in syndication on your local public-access station that can get such series for cheap. Show ‘em at rush hour when everyone’s getting home from work and repeat at 2:30pm in the morning.

Epic, big blue fail.

• KenM says:

Jesse’s “happy ending” involves just about everybody he has ever cared about being dead except for Brock who is an orphan, 4-6 months living as a meth slave, and debilitating fits of depression and remorse. Surviving and a happy ending are not necessarily the same thing.

• Won says:

Somehow, it feels like QuietArashi is TROLLING. Let’s not feed the troll.

23. QuietArashi says:

* 2:30 a.m., that is. Whoooo. Making mistakes like Vince Gilligan, here, LOL.

24. Robin says:

good closure. will really miss the show. I’m worried about Jesse even though he lived. and what about Brock?

25. J.R. says:

Just a fantastic production on all fronts. I remember staying up till 2am watching the season one marathon…then I was “hooked” (pun intended!). Enjoyed the show immensely. Cranston’s come a long way since ” Watley!” and Malcolm. Aaron Paul is gonna do very well.

R.I.P Walt.

Live long and prosper Jesse.

~Pleedafifth, rocking my Pork Pie tonight!

26. John says:

Perfect finale to a perfect show. Thanks Vince Gilligan!

27. Dan Eemick says:

Badfinger taking Walt home with Baby Blue… it doesn’t get any better !

28. Internet Cynical Losers who can never be pleased, have this to say about tonight’s episode of Breaking Bad:

“I thought it should end a certain way, so I was VERY disappointed when it did. Too predictable. Wow, what a let down that I got my way!”

“I thought it should end a certain way, so I was disappointed when it didn’t. Crappy writing! Unrealistic! Ludicrous! Why didn’t they end it the way I thought it should end. Who writes this tripe?”

“The ending wasn’t as exciting as all the other 61 episodes, most of which were just freaking awesome, man this episode sucked”.

“I hate they way they left us hanging in the 2005 ending of the bla bla bla show. BB wrapped all the details and answered all my questions. Too neat for me!. Couldn’t they leave me hanging AND wrap up all the loose ends too?”

• Ash says:

What a great way to shutdown any dissenting opinions. So is the finale beyond reproach? There are a lot of people making valid critiques and all they’re met with is a bunch of hate.

• cs2870 says:

No, its not. This show was well written, great acting, but people will say otherwise and nit pick little details , and come up with criticisms because they cant just be happy with a freaking awesome show. Those people need to take there reproach to the dexter forum, which the majority agrees is awful. But those people would probably leave glowing reviews of the dexter finale. Im just grateful that it had had a satisfactory ending because Dexter really let me ( and millions more ) down in a big way. Those writers were just tired of writing and couldn’t wait any longer to shoot the ill horse.

• These critiques would be valid if they were actually specific about what the show failed to do instead of what the show failed to NOT do. People who say they were bored or didn’t like what happened would be unsatisfied no matter what they did. If Jesse shot Walter in the eye, if Jesse and Walter killed each other, if Walter failed to take down Jack’s gang, if Walter set off a nuclear bomb and destroyed Albuquerque, anything is just missing the point entirely, which is: characters stay true to themselves and everyone gets what they deserve. These people that are complaining are the exact kind of people you don’t want to see a movie or a show with. They don’t pay close enough attention and constantly have to ask questions to know what’s going on. They read into things that aren’t there and fill themselves with so many pre-conceived notions that are utter nonsense. These are the kind of people watching the show because it’s culturally hot now and not because it’s a brilliant piece of work. They were bored during episodes like Three Days Out and Fly and only care about action scenes and gun fights.
        The only reason this final episode could be considered predictable is because the script was not written in such a fashion that you would be blindsided in every scene. No one knew what Walter was going to do with the Schwarzes, but just about everyone felt that Walt would kill the Aryans, die and save Jesse. People who watched the show, saw the M60, saw the pivoting contraption Walt built have no reason to feel proud of themselves for putting 2 and 2 together, so just shut the hell up, you whiny hipster crybabies. Just because you’re eternally unhappy with everything, it doesn’t mean you need to spread your misery to the rest of us.

29. Admiral Crunch says:

A couple of questions/observations:
    – Anyone wonder where the 6 barrels of cash went? Perhaps they’ll stay hidden for generations until some building gets planned for the gang’s burial site?
    – Is it a sure conclusion that the Gray Matter couple will follow through on Walt’s request. They did look scared but who knows?
    – I don’t see how Walt’s barrel could have fit inside the propane trunk’s tank, meaning his “luggage” was in the cab. That was a lot of trust to put in a stranger who’s job is to break the law. Overall, he did seem responsible, for a criminal by profession. Hopefully he and Saul don’t get sucked down the hole in the aftermath.
    – Walt could only have gotten the rest of his money by going back to his house, but in that small town, and the snow, wouldn’t it have been obvious to the cops where he went when he left the bar. Wouldn’t they have set up a perimeter roadblock or something?

• Admiral Crunch says:

What I meant is that the opening looked too small for the barrel; obvious the volume of the tank itself was large enough for the barrel.

• 1) I didn’t really wonder, I think Walt shooting Uncle Jack shows that it doesn’t really matter to the show where the money is. I think the police and DEA will end up going through the compound and find the money and assume that’s all of Walt’s drug money which will help exonerate Skyler.
      2) I think they will. They don’t know that criminal underworld and have no reason to doubt that Walt’s “hitmen” would not follow through with his request.
      3) I think the vacuum cleaner guy wouldn’t be in business if he made a habit of stealing from his clients. Saul wouldn’t recommend him and he knows that he’d probably end up on the wrong end of a hit if he stole from people. I don’t think Walt had any reason to distrust him.
      4) We don’t really see the proximity of the cabin to the bar, but Walt knows how to slip past roadblocks and such. He also didn’t have a car, so no one really knew what to look for when he left the bar.

30. Wow, don’t put spoilers in your URL and in your headline that shows up on Google search. Seriously. Terrible for those people who haven’t yet seen the finale.

• cs2870 says:

strange, when i turned my computer on, it didn’t automatically pull up a google search for breaking bad related stuff, which obviously would be a dumb thing to do on the night of the final episode.

31. chris says:

Yet again this stupid website puts the biggest spoiler in the HEADLINE (they did it for the killing season 3 as well) which SHOWS ON GOOGLE IF YOU EVEN TYPE IN BREAKING BAD. This site is a JOKE.

32. C says:

Genuinely didn’t think any news site would be stupid enough to put a spoiler in the headline that comes up on Google. Seriously, what sort of idiots are you?

• Lisa says:

I would genuinely think that in today’s day and age if you wanted to remain spoiler free you would stay off the internet until you had seen the finale.

• cs2870 says:

spoke like a liberal democrat. “please look out for me even when I’m too dumb to avoid the big mean internet because it might ruin my surprise “

• KenM says:

Spoken like an internet troll who turns any discussion into an excuse to launch into oversimplified political straw-man bashing.

• cs2870 says:

Nah, only responding in a tone appropriate for the first troll/poster “didnt think any news site would be stupid enough”, who is dumb enough to blame someone else for her idiocy. I guess since you didn’t like my post, in your world I’m a troll. I guess in my world, using the same logic, you are a troll. We should meet at the troll bar and have a drink.

• KenM says:

My like or dislike has nothing to do with you being a troll. Your injecting inflammatory political references into an apolitical discussion does.

33. ben says:

seriously, this content is embedded on websites that should be spoiler free, such as buzzfeed. i have already watched it, but others might not have seen it yet; don’t put spoilers in your title “walt dies- ready, set, react!” funny, because that’s not even the title on tvline.com, but only on buzzfeed.

34. WY251834102@gmail.com says:

They should have had him wearing the hat so that he dies as Heisenberg.

• KenM says:

One of the episode’s key points is that the imaginary bright line between Walter White and Heisenberg never really existed. His coming clean with Skyler pretty much established that Walter White was always Heisenberg whether he wore the hat or not.

35. Anyone even notice the cassette tape falling out of the glove compartment of the Volvo? Marty Robbins and the song El Paso playing? About a Felina???

36. Rez says:

I think it was one of the best series finales I’ve ever seen. The only thing I might have wanted to see happen was to have Walt Jr walk past that laundry room and have Walt tell him goodbye. Even though I know that Jr is mad at him, he would have appreciated seeing his father right before he died in the years to come. I love that Walt finally admitted to both himself and Skyler that he did what he did for himself, for the satisfaction it gave him. I’m so happy Jesse survived, and I’d like to believe that he changed his name and decided to become a woodworker of some form, running a successful business.

37. Fulltime adlay says:

THANKS FOR THE SPOILER YOU STUPID C$&TS.
    How hard is it to avoid spoiling it for others.. Useless.

38. rdjg says:

It was good and closed all of the loose ends, but I didn’t find the intensity that built up for 5 seasons really culminated in the end…the best episodes had you on the edge of your seat, but this one just felt calculated and kinda disconnected from the rest

• Ozymandias is the climax. The last two are the resolution. The former had me tremendously emotional, so I’m glad they didn’t end up killing Jesse and Walter Jr. just to keep us feeling sick and miserable.

39. AnnieM says:

I was hopeful that the final scene would reveal that the entire series was actually a Badger script (so no one, esp Hank, Mike, and the kid shot by Creepy Todd would actually be dead), but all in all I was quite satisfied with the finale. And yes, the music WAS brilliant. Although I’ll admit that after 30+ years, I STILL have Steve Martin, the miniature horse, and the chimps in my head every time I hear ‘El Paso’ – even Walter White couldn’t change that! lol.

40. Neo says:

Could see it coming a few episodes ago that Jesse/Walt would end up cooking for the skins.
    In the end it was Jesse and im glad he got out. The last little sign of respect between the two of them was great.
    The best show EVER! no doubts no contenders.
    Bad is the new Good.

41. D. Passenger says:

The Glee season 4 finale was sooooo much better than this…

42. Bobby says:

Why tell Lydia about the Ricin?!? All she will do now is go to the hospital, get treatment and live. Defeats the purpose of poisoning someone and then telling them right after, no?!

• Auntie Ralph says:

The way Walt described the ricin back in Season 2 (no idea of this is true to life or not but hey) pretty sure she was going to be dead in only a few more minutes. He made it sound rather fast-acting once the symptoms appear.

• AnnieM says:

I wondered this, too. I figured he wanted Lydia dead to protect his family. She never mentioned her daughter in awhile, but to my recall, no one else knew she was the current Meth Queen? Hospital would want to know how she knew she’d been poisoned with ricin, which would lead to jail and losing her daughter anyway. Eh, maybe I’m thinking too far into it. ::shrug::

43. Nix says:

I thought the most important moment of the finale was when Walt finally admitted that he’d done it all for himself. It had been obvious all along. Here is this man is who is off-the-wall brilliant – working 2 low-paying jobs (and probably taking crap from teenagers most days), and whose family treats him like an ineffectual boob most of the time, and his wife subtly bullies him. And as we find out, was somehow pushed out of a billion-dollar company that he helped create by his former best friends. Seems like he tried to be the “good guy” most of his life – and look where it got him. Then he finds out he’s dying. Now, while I definitely don’t agree with all the ways he destroyed the lives of others, I can see how in that situation you might just decide that being good hasn’t worked out so well, why not try it the other way? What has a dead man got to lose? Through the whole series, Walt kept telling himself that no matter how far down the hole he went, he was doing it for his family, and so he could keep believing that there was some noble purpose to satisfying the darkness inside him. I liked that at the end, he seemed to come to some self-realization – and finally admitted to himself (and Skyler) that it really had been about him giving the finger to everyone who had marginalized most of his life. That he finally recognized what his bitterness and pride had led him to become.

44. Lewis says:

Why on earth would you put a spoiler in the title? You have completely ruined the episode for me, and everyone else who has not yet watched it. Very poor journalism indeed. Shame on you for revealing the ending. I will never be returning to this site.

• It’s in the page URL and in the Google search. If you don’t want to be spoiled: don’t Google search a show after the finale, and don’t click on the article.

• Also: how does that ruin the show for you? I really get sick of hearing people talk about how hearing the ending of a show ruins the show. Is the ending all you watch for? Is there no interest in the journey for you? If you don’t care about the journey of the characters, why even bother watching the show in the first place?

45. Auntie Ralph says:

I went for A, though not going to lie, wouldn’t have minded a bit of wrap-up with where some characters are at just for a little extra optimism. Still I’m not holding that against the show and my wish for some kind of, “where they are when they find out Walt’s dead,” montage probably would have cheapened the ending.

Oh, and I’m sad we didn’t get to see Walt Jr eat breakfast one last time.

46. royce says:

I liked the spoiler . Never watched the show except trailers and sound bites. And it all pretty much fit. Yea shakespear your collective ways are astonishing. I was so surprised. Woo, Hoo. Now walt is in character heaven probably located somewhere in southpark colorado. When southpark finally dies that will be painful and sad. I gotta lotta years tied up in that nonsense.

47. Bark Star says:

Very good finale. But not outstanding.

48. Mike says:

For a show that left you on the edge of your seat, the finae didn’t have the same twists, turns, and shocking moments that the episodes up to it might have. But that wasn’t what this episode was about.

The storyline needs to get tied up. Everything, from Lydia, to Todd & Jack’s gang, to Jesse, Skylar, Elliot and Gretchen. It all needed resolution. And many of us knew (or felt) that going in, these characters would have to be dealt with. But that in no way detracted from the quality of how it was all handled.

The power Walt exhibited over Gretchen & Elliot throughout the opening scenes was incredible, even before the “snipers” came into play. The reveal of Walt being in the kitchen was masterfully done, and the Lotto numbers for Hank & Gomez’s bodies was a necessary touch. The Stevia packed was predictable, but nevertheless, I found myself literally screaming, “Yes!” at my television during that moment.

And the final scene at Jack’s compound. Someone pulls into a lot with an M60, and you expect to go guns-blazing. But the pure carnage orchestrated by Walt (who, let’s not forget, was always a better scientist than a criminal) was so rewarding and fitting for the series. Add to that Jesse’s revenge on Todd (another “Yes!” moment), and the series was already ending on house money.

The final scenes with the showdown between Walt and Jesse, followed by Jesse’s escape, were also very well-crafted. There didn’t need to be any thank yous, or touching moments. Both men knew that as much help that they’d given each other over the years, they’d also screwed each other at nearly every turn. (Maybe the better word is “used” each other). No words were needed; just Jesse leaving Walt the gun.

And Walt’s ending was brilliant. Walter White may have died before stepping into a meth lab. But Heisenberg died where he was born. It was shot just like one of the most haunting scene’s from “Crawl Space” (when Walt finds out his money was given to Ted), but you felt like everything was in it’s right place. It was rewarding as a final season this dark could have been. This was what had to happen. And while it may not have been completely action-packed or shocking as previous episodes, this was the end. Every character’s fate, alive and dead, left me feeling nothing but satisfaction. And isn’t that all we could’ve asked for?

49. gerberdaisy says:

Such a perfect ending to a fantastic series–you know it is good when it is the first thing you are thinking about when you wake up in the morning! Kudos to the writing team!!

50. Dan says:

I do not understand how the cops showed up.

• That machine gun could have been heard for miles, and it lasted for quite awhile. In a remote area, it wouldn’t have been hard to figure out where it came from.

• Admiral Crunch says:

It’s not a nuclear detonation. If it really was remote, outside of city limits, discharging a weapon would not be illegal so there’d be no reason to show up. Presumably the “Aryan bros” practice their skills on site, so some noise would be normal (though maybe not a continous burst like that).

Maybe Walt called them before going in?