The X Factor Recap: Bad Chair Day [Updated]

photoNovelty acts, not-as-funny-as-you-think fame-seekers and the mentally/emotionally unstable, your time is up!

The X Factor‘s Season 3 auditions have come to their inevitable end, making way for something called “The Four-Chair Challenge.” (Cue a Christina Aguilera side-eye as she realizes this phrase sounds like what happens when all four coaches press their buttons during The Voice audition rounds. We’re with you on this one, Xtina, even if the X Factor’s new substitute for “Boot Camp” and “Judges’ Houses” has nothing to do with rotating seats or “blinds.”)

Tonight’s audition installment once again found Simon Cowell stretching to the breaking point the definition of words like “extraordinary” and “incredible.” (His exaggerations would be akin to my mom calling this recap “Pulitzer-worthy” — except my mom isn’t paid millions for her opinion.)

Anyhow, since I’ve got a Glee recap to write tonight — and because almost all of latest folks to advance to the Season 5 Battle Rounds were shown in super-brief snippets — I’m gonna refrain from ranking ‘em tonight. (Though you can do it in the poll below!)

Also revealed, which mentors got which categories — and which 10 contestants in each category advanced to the Four-Chair Challenge:

Girls: Demi Lovato

Lillie McCloud (fab!)
Jeff Brinkman
Rachel Potter (yes!)
Kristine Mirelle
Victoria Carriger
James Kenney
Allison Davis (no pants?)
Denny Smith (him?)
Lorie Moore (shoulder pads!)
Jeff Gutt

Groups: Simon Cowell
Glamour
Good News (bad news…they haven’t shown you singing yet!)
Yellow House Canyon (woot!)
Alex & Sierra (yay!)
Roxxy Montana
Wild Thingz (kidding, right?)
Girls United
PLUS…a trio of pre-fabricated groups
* a boyish trio featuring Emery Kelly from this Wednesday’s show
* a girl trio
* a country-guy trio featuring cute but vocally dubious Colton Pack and Andrew Scholz

I’ll be back overnight to list the 40 acts still with a chance at Tate Stevens’ crown and sash — bookmark this URL and refresh it later, yo! — but until then, let me turn things over to you. What do you think of The X Factor’s Season 3 Top 40? Who were your favorite wannabes this evening? Did you disagree with any of the judges’ decisions? Who got robbed? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments! (And remember, as I said before, I’ll be back overnight to update this post with intel on the Season 3 Top 40!)

1. Stephen De Leon says:

I think AKNU should still be in the challenge they are by far the best group and best act in the whole competition

• jj says:

Is X Factor still on. They just disappeared from our stations all last week. Wonder if they are on this week. I wish they kept AKNU WOW. were they ever good. Hope they record an album I’d buy it.

2. Ty says:

I REALLY liked Rylie Brown and Josh Levi (Both seperate acts) I almost DIED laughing when they showed that montage of Simon and that one guy with the hippie suit >D I really hope Rylie and Josh make it through, rooting for them both. I actually plan on auditioning when i turn thirteen. I would’ve auditioned THIS year but because of where my birthday is placed, im still 12 :)

3. Isabella says:

We feel the same I the UK couldn’t believe it when Aknu were not one of the groups has put me of think the whole thing stinks of a bi fat fix

4. Jim Welker says:

You can see my comments on this post I commented on in December! Well at least my second choice Santiago is still around ( top 10 )! Now that we see the acts remaining, doesn’t everyone agree with me that AKNU would have won EASILY! I THOUGHT MAYBE IT WAS A GAG SO THEY COULD BRING THEM BACK (WISHFUL THINKING)! AT LEAST SIMON COULD HAVE ISSUED A STATEMENY “WHY” THEY WERE ELIMINATED????? NO COMPETITION, NO SUSPENSE, THAT’S WHY!

5. Jim Welker says:

AKNU OWNS AKNU MEDIA, GENERATING SALES OF $160,000.00 PER YEAR! EVEN AN EMPLOYEE OF THEIR SISTER SAID THEY HAVE NO CONTRACT! AKNU SELLS THEIR OWN MUSIC AS WELL AS OTHERS ON THIS LABEL! I HATE LIARS! THEY KNEW THEY BROKE X FACTOR RULES! I WAS THEIR BIGGEST SUPPORTERS, MENTIONING THEM ON 5 OR 6 POSTS ON THIS SIGHT! I TAKE IT BACK….THEY ARE PHONIES AND DESERVED WHAT THEY GOT! I WATCHED THEIR X FACTOR AUDITION DOZENS OF TIMES! SINCE I DISCOVERED THEIR DISHONESTY, I’LL NEVER WATCH IT AGAIN….PERIOD! I’M ERASING IT FROM MY DVR!

6. Jim Welker says:

AKNU OWNS THEIR OWN RECORD LABEL….AKNU MEDIA, FOUDED IN 2009! THEY SELL THEIR OWN MUIC AND OTHERS, GENERATING ANNUAL SALES OF $160,000.00! THERE’S EVERYBODY’S ANSWER AS TO WY AKNU WAS ELIMINATED!

7. Jim Welker says:

I have posted same info several times as my comments keep appearing and disappearing! Sorry for these multiple comments!

8. Jim Welker says:

AKNU owns there own label….That is why no AKNU IN THE COMPETITION!…..AKNU MEDIA SELLS AKNU AND OTHER’S MUSIC….ANUAL SALES 160K!

9. Arturo Isla Zevallos, Lima-Perú. says:

Primero: Vean a Bruno Mars y luego a AKNU y digan qué versión los entremeció más. Además, de que Mars es todo un gran conjunto organizado; en cambio, AKNU, dio un magnífico plus a un play back. Esto es suficiente para inclinarse por lo que agrada.
    Segundo: La exclusión de AKNU, puede ser una autoexclusión, lo cual significa que ellos captaron su potencial y no necesitan a X factor. O puede ser, un figura de exclusión deliberada por los organizadores para darlos a conocer y bajo contrato lanzarlos proximamente.
    Me inclino por la segunda, dado el silencio sepulcral de ambos lados. AKNU no se siente vejado y SYCO estratégicamente con el silencio incrementa la expectacion por el Grupo.
    Vean Uds. las miradas iniciales de los todos los jueces cuando ellos se presentan. Señal de que ellos ya tienen una idea formada de la calidad del grupo y que solo esperaban lanzarlo al público.
    Estimo que proximamente, unos tres meses más, este grupo, con productores, músicos y coreografías reforzadas, aparecerán para llenar el vacío dejado por MJ.