Are You Nuts About CBS' The Crazy Ones?

Get More: Polls, Premieres, Recaps

the-crazy-ones-300Think of The Crazy OnesSimon Roberts as the anti-Don Draper.

In CBS’ new comedy — which debuted Thursday at 9/8c – Robin Williams returns to the small screen as Simon Roberts, the maniacally brilliant head of the Roberts & Roberts advertising agency. Joined by his partner (and daughter) Sydney (Buffy the Vampire Slayer herself, Sarah Michelle Gellar), Simon makes some risky moves in order to keep McDonald’s — the agency’s biggest account — on board.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on 45 Returning Favorites!

Simon lives by one rule: “Leap, and the net will appear.” In his prime, that philosophy worked, helping him build a reputation as a charming — albeit crazy — genius. But Simon’s wacky appeal is wearing thin with executives, and Sydney prides herself on being the voice of reason that will keep her dad’s agency afloat.

But when their relationship with McDonald’s looks like it may soon end, Simon and Sydney prove they’re both a little crazy. Just how far are they willing to go for a client? As far as convincing pop star Kelly Clarkson (who appears in a sassy guest role) to sing the advertising tune for McDonald’s newest campaign — even if it means crashing a birthday party, getting up on a table and belting out the fast food chain’s classic ’80s jingle in order to win her over.

RELATED| Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

An affable bunch of co-workers rounds out the Roberts & Roberts team, including womanizer Zachary (James Wolk, Mad Men), deadpan Andrew (Hamish Linklater, The New Adventures of Old Christine) and lovably dim-witted Lauren (Amanda Setton, The Mindy Project).

The Crazy Ones isn’t without its quirks, namely the screwball humor upon which Williams so often relies. But it’s also a feel-good comedy with plenty of heart, which could be a welcome change to CBS’ laugh-track-heavy line-up.

That’s what we think, but what’s your take? Grade The Crazy Ones via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

Comments (119)

• Absolutely loved it.

Comment by Esaul – September 26, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Liked it a lot, good chance even more next week as it grows.

Comment by paul – September 27, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cringeworthy.

Comment by Dick Whitman – September 26, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you sir were named right cuz that’s what you are

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 26, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nice one

Comment by Zach – September 26, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sigh. Fail Jenna. Not a Mad Men fan I suppose.

Comment by Olivia – September 27, 2013 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • who thinks that “cuz” is an actual word……ugghhhh

Comment by dsm – September 27, 2013 07:36 AM PDT
      • I’m sorry that we don’t agree, Jenna. I appreciate the effort made by CBS (sitcom without a laugh track on CBS??) but that’s not enough to make it good. Also, having SMG on it doesn’t make it good either, sorry.

Comment by Dick Whitman – September 27, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • you don’t have to agree with me

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 27, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No laugh track Robin Williams=greatness and I didnt even get a chance to see it but with those two things going for it it has to be great.

Comment by Brian – September 27, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cringeworthy works for me.

Comment by IMHO – September 27, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it. It will take more than one episode to decide how good it’s going to be, but I’m over being sick of Robin Williams (he laid low long enough, I guess; as long as he never says, “don’t be afraid” or any other his other go-to phrases, I’ll be okay. I love Sarah Michelle Geller (I sat through an entire season of Ringer for her). James Wolk is multi-talented, and I love Hamish Linklater’s dry humor.

Keep up the good work of the pilot, and I’m in!

Comment by TV Gord – September 26, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s face it, Simon Roberts is no Don Draper but Robin Williams’ return to TV for more than three decades has what it takes to make The Crazy Ones one of the breakout sitcoms of the Fall TV season. I give Crazy Ones an outstanding grade of A.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 26, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “CBS sitcom + Robin Williams” is simply a formula for nothing better than complete garbage.

Comment by Eddie – September 26, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree

Comment by Vlada – September 26, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • your clearly a dumb ass

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 26, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Says the one that uses YOUR instead of YOU’RE

Comment by Alvaro – September 26, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ooo a grammar Nazi let me shake with fear

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 27, 2013 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Spelling love, spelling.

Comment by Olivia – September 27, 2013 05:35 AM PDT
          • Grammar Nazi? Wow very nice of you, but I’m just trying to help you not look like an idiot, by calling someone a dumb ass when it completely shows what you are, when you use improper grammar.

Comment by Alvaro – September 27, 2013 12:19 PM PDT
          • standard grammar Nazis reply

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 27, 2013 12:50 PM PDT
      • Well put Jenna they must not have a sense of humor.With all the crap on TV this has to be a refreshing break

Comment by Brian Hollon – September 27, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • pretty much.

Comment by Dick Whitman – September 27, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Compared to other sitcoms so far like Mom, this one def. shines to me, but I am a huge SMG fan so I am a little bias :p

Comment by Desib – September 27, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was good. It’s a funny show. David E. Kelley always needs a little bit of time with it’s shows. “Boston Legal” became brilliant near the end of the 1st season. “Ally McBeal” also took a while. I’m sure as soon as Kelley found the right formula this show will kick some a$$. The cast is awesome and it’s already fun to watch. Isn’t much that can go wrong here IMO.

Comment by Dani – September 26, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robin Williams is superb in the new show Crazy Ones! Loved it! Great acting by all. Funny and sensitive. This one will be on my weekly list.

Comment by Sandy tomkins – September 26, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For this show, I think there is one rule that should be followed. DON’T FORCE THE HUMOR. I can sense a heart with this show and if the humor comes naturally, it can develop into a good show.

Comment by Greg Eckes – September 26, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I felt like I watched a very long McDonald’s commercial. I hope the series format is not 30-minute spots for real-life companies. I do enjoy Williams and Geller, however, and loved seeing (and hearing) Kelly Clarkson.

Comment by Canadian Viewer – September 26, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lets be honest, it’d be bad business not to milk tons of money out of companies to get featured on the show. At least the product placement feels natural.

Comment by dude – September 26, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right, I agree, they should take advantage of the opportunity – it’s better than the strategically placed cola cans or whatever. I would suspect that getting money for product placement might offset some of the financial concerns about ratings (right? because ratings are important because they determine how competitive it is to place ads during your air time?). I would think it means being able to do things that other shows might not because they have restricted budgets… or something. I don’t know.

Comment by the girl – September 26, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wonder how much Mickey D’s coughed up for the promo?

Comment by Bob – September 27, 2013 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I freaking loved it….only because of the amazing Kelly Clarkson. Without her I can’t imagine enjoying this show.

Comment by TVAddict – September 26, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you have no taste and she was only there for this episode

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 26, 2013 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What is with your nasty retorts to everyone who has a difference of opinion? I liked the show but can acknowledge it isn’t a show everyone is going to like. How about showing a little bit of maturity and if you don’t like what someone is saying just ignore them. At least explain why you like the show instead of responding with childish insults.

Comment by Jane – September 27, 2013 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She’s a troll plain and simple. Bad grammar, spelling mistakes and an awful attitude! Don’t feed the trolls!

Comment by dsm – September 27, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • not a troll but your a grammar Nazi an awful attitude is someone who watchs a show and then states that they don’t like the show in a rude way i’m just doing what these people are doing to this show

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 27, 2013 09:27 AM PDT
  • Both Robin and Sarah are funny. This was the wrong show to reintroduce their talents. David Kelley’s brand of humor doesn’t mesh with theirs well.

Comment by David – September 26, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it did really well and remember its a first episode

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 26, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it’s*

Comment by A – September 27, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Silly silly grammer Nazi wasting their time

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 27, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aside from Big Bang Theory reruns, I don’t really do CBS comedies. But, I came for Buffy — I mean, “Sarah” and I will be sticking around. I liked the vibe and think it has a lot of potential.

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – September 26, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How often do you come for Buffy?

Comment by Jerri – September 27, 2013 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll only watch because of James Wolk. #honestly

Comment by Lili – September 26, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you think there’s a chance Bob Benson is coming back to Mad Men anytime soon?

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 26, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • #enoughwiththehastags

Comment by Bob – September 27, 2013 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, he’s effing dreamy!!!!

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – September 27, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed it but I don’t know if it speaks highly to the show that the best part of the pilot was Kelly Clarkson. I was kind of hoping she’d just get her own show.

Comment by dude – September 26, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having Robin Williams back on TV is great and considering SMG was once “banned” from McD’s for her Burger Kink commercials I thought them McDonald’s in the pilot was hilarious (especially since by all reports McD’s wasn’t involved in the show.

Comment by Len Roberts – September 26, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was laughing about that as well! I have been wondering if they chose McDonald’s as the big client intentionally because of her history with them.

Comment by Alichat – September 26, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amen on James Wolk. Will watch practically anything with him in it.

Comment by mdbchud – September 26, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny! I think it will get better as it goes, too.

Comment by Kristina – September 26, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If CBS gives it time, I think the cast will gel, right now it feels like Robin Williams and James Wolk click, but everyone else isn’t quite working together as a unit yet. That’s pretty normal for David E Kelley shows, so I’ll watch a few more episodes and see how they do now that the season has started.

Comment by rowan77 – September 26, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i loved it. it will take a few episodes to really find its niche but i’m a huge Robin Williams fan and was pleasantly surprised by Wolk and SMG (Loved Buffy, but her recent stuff have been less than stellar) drive through loving will now be in my head for the next month, what can I say its catchy :)

Comment by James D – September 26, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did the lampshade the fact that McDonald’s sued SMG when she was a child?

Comment by MichelleR. – September 26, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show was dreadrul and I won’t be tuning back in to see anymore of this drivel.

Comment by Karrie – September 26, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • DREADFUL

Comment by Karrie – September 26, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes agree your DREADFUL karrie

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 26, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Is this your job, or something? Leaving rude, error-ridden replies on EVERY SINGLE negative comment in this thread? The Crazy Ones was annoying but you are much more so.

Comment by Sadie – September 26, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Jenna Michell…putting the CRAZY in The Crazy Ones.

Comment by Dav – September 27, 2013 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Hahaha! This made me laugh. Thanks Dav! :)

Comment by Kim R – September 27, 2013 06:16 AM PDT
          • thank you but I think the term insane is better suited for me

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 27, 2013 09:54 AM PDT
  • Really enjoyed it. Loved Kelly Clarkson’s guest spot too!

Comment by JeffDJ – September 26, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t laugh once. Won’t be watching anymore.

Comment by Leah – September 26, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. When I first heard of this pilot, I was really excited. Then, as time went on, I began to adjust my expectations. But now, after seeing the pilot, I see that I was right the first time. I found this show hilarious. The cast is amazing too: Robin Williams, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Hamish Linklater, among others, are all very funny people. But this pilot’s MVP was James Wolk. The only comedy I’ve ever seen him in was Happy Endings, and I didn’t find him all that funny in that show. On The Crazy Ones, however, he was hilarious! When he and Robin sang “Drive-Thru Lovin’”, I was lovin’ it. The show is the first CBS comedy in a long time that I’ve actually enjoyed, so you can bet I’ll be back for more next week.

Comment by Eric – September 26, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this show I can see it getting picked up anyone who doesn’t like this show is clearly insane with no taste

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 26, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can kelly clarkson become a series regular? i’ll settle for a recurring character who comes back again and again to torment SMG. it didn’t blow me away, and i sometimes get weary of robin williams’ non-stop bits (though thats obviously what his character is supposed to do), but i’ll definitely come back next week. it was enjoyable.

also thank you Jenna Michelle for your highly intellectual responses to people who didnt like the show. you disagree with them. we get it.

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 26, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it!

Comment by Eve – September 26, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not nuts about the show. I’m batty, bonkers, crazy, loopy, loony, hazy. chaotic, neurotic, peculiar and amazing. Demented, deranged, particularly strange. Frantic, raving, flaky, shaky, making me insane! Please get my reference. Here’s a hint: Monk and NPH.

Comment by Zach – September 26, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it

Comment by Tiffany – September 26, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is definitely a show that has some kinks to work out, but the cast is talented, the premise is pretty solid and shouldn’t grow tired. I don’t see Robin Williams as too crazily irritating to the point where I don’t find any of this to not be realistic (which is what I was worried about).

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – September 26, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the show was good i believe it will take a little more time till it has great episodes but knowing how great robin williams is and aswell as SMG it shouldn’t take long

Comment by Tristan John Wannet – September 26, 2013 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it a lot, it was really good and funny. Robin Williams, James Wolk, and Kelly Clarkson did great in the episode. I’ll watch the show every week.

Comment by Joey – September 26, 2013 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was Barry Maniliow’s name mentioned? I must have missed it. Loved James Wolk, Hamish and Kelly. Normally I love Sarah (I thought she was great in Ringer) but not so much here. She may grow into the role, though. Robin Williams unleashed is not something I enjoy. Oh well. A lot of it seemed very cliche. I may or may not watch again.

Comment by LynnH – September 26, 2013 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like “Jenna Michelle” is actually Sarah Michelle Gellar.
    Who the hell is so passionate about The Crazy Ones after 1 episode?
    You crazy girl.

Comment by AJ – September 26, 2013 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, that was just horrible. If it didn’t have so many big names attached to it, it would probably be canceled already.

Comment by Ace – September 27, 2013 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just couldn’t stop laughing. As long as that keeps happening, I’ll keep watching.

Comment by Erika – September 27, 2013 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And thats what it is all about a good laugh these days is hard to come by

Comment by Brian Hollon – September 27, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the pilot mainly for Kelly Clarkson and James Wolk. I will give the show another chance next week without Kelly to see if I like it enough to continue watching.

Comment by Josh Emerson – September 27, 2013 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought SMG was bitchy and an ill-fit to this sitcom. I love Robin Williams, though, but I don’t think I’ll be watching this.

Comment by tracyg36 – September 27, 2013 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It often takes a few episodes to develop the characters, sharpen the writing, etc.

Comment by Bob – September 27, 2013 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have to say, one of my favorite parts was all the reaction shots of Amanda Setton. She’s hysterical, even when she doesn’t have a line.

Comment by DL – September 27, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lots of potential here: an intelligent comedy, with a great cast. We are watching…..

Comment by Susan – September 27, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay Jenna…get ready…. :). Robin Williams started to kind of annoy me when he would appear on talk shows and pretty much go into a manic episode. So over the years I’ve just avoided episodes he would appear on. That said, I do think he is a great actor. I only watched until the boxing scene at the beginning and then I switched channels. Maybe I should give it a chance, it seems to have good feedback here. I really don’t want to see manic Robin. Been there, done that. :)

Comment by Kim R – September 27, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol ok I don’t attack every comment I understand that I did the same with johnny depp

my issue is with those I feel left really dumb comments

like stating your not gonna watch something is kinda dumb instead just don’t watch it

Comment by Jenna Michelle – September 27, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show, the bits with Kelly Clarkson were hilarious (thanks to her and also the entire cast).

Comment by tara17 – September 27, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • James Wolk is so handsome! And very tall too!

Comment by Marcinho11 – September 27, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only started watching for SMG, but I actually found it nice and enjoyable. I’ll watch again!

Comment by Pheeb – September 27, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JAMES WOLK IS EVERYTHING.

Comment by Jess – September 27, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that DEK has a show on CBS, it will be a success… Loved the RW riffs… A solid winner…

Comment by Doug H – September 27, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was okay. It just seemed like the writers didn’t know if it was supposed to be Robin Williams-type crazy or Full House sort of family comedy complete with ‘awww’ moments. Every couple of minutes it would seem like Robin Williams was starting to ramp up to launch a ‘Good Morning Vietnam’ style manic comedy jag…and then he’d suddenly jerk to a stop and calm down, usually because Sarah Michelle Gellar’s character was talking to him like he was standing on one foot on a ledge shooting hoops.

Comment by Julia Murray – September 27, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I saw was Jerry Dantana and I had a seizure.

Comment by M – September 27, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was pretty darn hilarious at times! I hope they can keep it up and it doesn’t get to be too much. I really like the cast!

Comment by Robin – September 27, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post