First Look: Glee Says 'Goodbye' to Finn

Fox is touting Glee‘s Oct. 10 Finn tribute episode with seven simple words: “The hardest word to say is ‘goodbye.'”

PHOTOS | Glee in Season 5: Dream Plot Developments for 13 Key Characters

On Thursday, exec producer Ryan Murphy released via Twitter the first promotional banner for the Oct. 10 outing, and it features a black-and-white image of the late Cory Monteith alongside the aforementioned message.

“There are so many incredibly well written and powerful scenes,” co-star Kevin McHale previously told TVLine of the episode, which revolves around the sudden death of Finn. “When [the cast] got the script, we were all reading it together and we were like, ‘Did you get to that one scene.’ And when you see it everyone will know what that one scene is.”

Scroll down to check out the poster and hit the comments with your thoughts.

Glee Finn Death

• Dave S. says:

“There are so many incredibly well written and powerful scenes,” – well that will be a first for Glee.

• pfoggy says:

LOL..so true! I enjoy the show for the music, but my god, most of the writing is just wince inducing, even allowing for the fact it’s mostly aimed at the tweener crowd. I can only imagine just how overwrought the “very special” Good-bye to Finn After-School Special will be.

1. Clayton says:

I’m already crying. Inconsolable. I can’t even. I just cannot right now.

2. Katy says:

Its an old picture but yea its sad and well kinda….well does anyone else feel like they are using it for ratings?

• Aaron says:

Really? First of all yes, they are – that is what EVERY show on television is about – RATINGS. And sorry, but they couldn’t just move on without addressing it. It’s not like he was a secondary character – like the school nurse or “football player number 3″ in the locker room – he was the lead of the show.

• Katy says:

I understand that yes they must write an episode ddicated to him and I think its a great idea but I also think they are milking it.

• Chris says:

No…all the silly blog sites are milking it. Re-iterating the same stories over and over again. The site Wet Paint is on my Facebook feed and they keep re-posting the same stories in different forms. It’s pathetic. I really hope the episode is done with grace and humility.

• Mari says:

They are–but the milking is at least understandable, if not tasteful. His death left them in a spot where they either and to come up with a way to completely ignore it, or deal with it in a big way. Because of how integral his character was, it would have been nearly impossible/bizarre to ignore it. They didn’t really have many more choices. It’s making the best of the situation.

• Pen says:

By milking it you must mean giving the fans what they want- a chance to see the character and the actor we loved sent off in a way that hopefully brings some closure to a lot of people. He may have died of a drug overdose, but he did not set out to kill himself. The demons within him were too strong. That does not make him any less of a beloved son, brother, friend or great young man who did more to help others in his short lifetime than most of his critics will ever do in their entire life! He is a hero to a lot of people because of the way he lived, not because of the way he died. Those of you who think giving up drugs is easy for an addict really do not have a clue,

• Kym says:

Beautifully put, Mari.

• MyReligionIsWhovian says:

Milking it? Really? They lost part of their FAMILY. Apparently no one you know has ever died. Stop being so freaking insensitive and GTFO

• Mary says:

Yes, they lost part of the family but IMO the first episode should of dealt with his death and then move on. I sorry to say but Cory was an addict and he died at his own doing. He was not a hero he was just an average man with demons. I can see why people think they are milking it. If anything Ryan Murphy is being insensitive by drawing it out.

• Clayton says:

Of course they are. I mean, it’s still a beautiful thought and gesture to tribute them. But some business peeps are probably hoping its scores a two-year high in ratings. It’s a very marketable episode.

• Beth says:

On one hand, yes. On the other, how can they not acknowledge the fact that Corey/Finn died? They can’t just not talk about him again.

• the girl says:

We also have to acknowledge that they are people who have feelings and were affected by losing someone who they cared about. Hopefully this helps them get closure on the character and on their relationship to the actor. People say all the time that after filming a show for years, your cast mates become like family. It would be weird for a family not to have a memorial service for a relative.

• RobD381 says:

Good thoughts. Exactly appropriate.

• Allie says:

I’m sad about it. It’s sad when someone with so much promise loses their life so young. From what he said in interviews, Cory had a tough life and was addicted to heroin young. It’s not fair to judge him unless you’ve lived in his shoes.

Idk, but to me (and I’ve watched since the beginning) Cory and Lea, their talent and chemistry, were a big part of the success of the show. If they moved on without addressing it, like he never existed, I think that would be distasteful and disrespectful to his impact on the show and the success they’ve enjoyed. They had two options in my mind: address it or cancel the show.

• Jesse says:

“An old picture”? It’s not like they can use a NEW one. And does it matter?

They have to address the situation. They can’t just send Finn off to some corner of the world never to be heard from again, especially since Finn already said he and Rachel were meant to be together. There are fans grieving the loss of the actor, and to address it is the best way to help them prepare and understand.

Some people need home training. And parental consent to use the internet.

• Mary says:

Death is not something you can prepare and understand. It happens everyday, usually to someone you are close to. It should of been address in the first episode not three in. I have mix feelings about this. I understand them not wanting him to die of a drug overdose, because that was out of character for Finn, but there are a lot of addicts that you wouldn’t even suspect had a problem until it is to late. If Cory’s death could help educate addiction then I think it should of been included, if not have Finn die in the first episode.

• O-Town says:

And then we’re back to using the death for another purpose, other than allowing his colleagues and his fans to grieve for the loss.

• Bobbie says:

I agree! They could use this as a teaching experieince for people struggling with addiction. It will be showing the impact of such a loss on loved ones. I hope it touches at least one lost soul out there who just needed that extra little push to turn things around.

• Corey says:

I think they were trying to get Lea Michele on her feet before they did that episode, which is why they took a few episodes to do it. Look how many positive moments they put in the first two episodes. Plus, they did deal with it immediately. Her very first song of the season was for him. Not for plot development, for him. If you don’t watch, or like, the show, get off the comments. Show some respect. They lost someone they love. No matter how it happened, it happened. To them, too, not just him. Show some respect, seriously. Not only that, but it happened to Cory’s character, Finn, too, and to the Glee fans. We need to say good-bye. And no one wants to do that first thing. Give us some time to adjust to Glee with out him before we have to say good-bye. They aren’t milking it, they are trying to be respectful of everyone involved.

• Jay says:

Well they can’t exactly use new pictures.

• Utbabys says:

Kinda sad that people seem to worry more about ratings than about Finn/Cory’s tribute episode. I guess you can also criticize those people who name scholarships after deaths of people. Messed up.

• Ratings? Who cares about ratings when you’re dying to see what Glee can offer next?, Hey, ratings are there all the time. What’s important is that, we’ll all see them back to the program where we loved them the most. Finn said goodbye, it hurts, but can you do something to bring him back? No!!! So, chill.

• O-Town says:

They could always recast the character and everyone and his ex-girlfriend could pretend that he didn’t this year. Would you prefer that?

• AWNNP says:

No. One of their friends and colleagues DIED. They should pay tribute with at least an episode, don’t you think? Plus, how do they remove a main character Finn from the storyline? Something has to happen to him.

3. Ash says:

It makes me want to cry.

4. I feel like, while they are definitely marketing off of this tragedy, thus far it has been done tastefully.

• 'A' Strikes Back says:

Exactly. They’re not the ones exploiting the episode. All these blog sites are reusing stories and milking his death and its pretty sad. So glad they are keeping things at a mum and not trying to get something out of it. Also, its amazing that the proceeds from the episode are going to one (or some) of Cory’s charities.

5. Melinda says:

If they play that song or sing it in the episode I will lose it.

6. JR says:

The promo poster is so beautiful and so sad. I simply cannot imagine Glee without Finn. I hope the tribute is as good as the cast and crew are saying and that it does justice to Finn and Cory.

• Cassie Wilkins says:

There is a promo video for this episode which I’ve just watched and it has me in absolute tears we still have to wait a couple of weeks to see it here in the uk but I know I’m going to end up in floods of tears I’ve watched glee since it first started, it just won’t be the same without Finn.

7. Jen-E says:

Is that a split photo? Finn/Cory?

• Mari says:

I don’t know–but the shadowed side looks older. Do you think it’s the shadow causing that, or did they merge a younger picture of him with an older picture?

8. Amy says:

In all my years as an avid tv viewer and frankly a lover of entertainment news, I have never been so saddened by the death of an actor and subsequently the character said actor portrayed. Mark Greene was pretty tough to watch die on er, George’s death broke my heart on Grey’s Anatomy, John Ritter’s passing was very sad, to name a few. Cory Monteith’s death has really devastated me, for so many reasons. He was an affable, approachable, humble, likeable actor who played Finn Hudson with such sincerity and subtlety. Finn was one of the reasons I fell in love with Glee. His story from Seasons 1-3 was something I enjoyed and was interested in… Especially in relation to his storyline with Rachel. Glee will be very difficult to watch. Season 4 was not pleasant to view, so much of the storylines just felt wrong and forced. But Season 5, and especially the episode 3 tribute will be very very emotional. I hope Glee honors the character of Finn Hudson and how invaluable he was to the Glee family, he was the heart of the show. Cory Monteith truly is missed, and so will Finn Hudson.

• LeahKittyS says:

This is beautiful, Amy, and it captures everything I wanted to say (though I never watched those other shows you mentioned.) I was actually meeting with my “strategies for college learning” adviser today, analyzing body language in TV show scenes, and she pulled up “Glee” Season 1, Episode 2. When Finn came on to help Rachel carry her bag, it touched me. This may be the first time I cry during a TV show.

• katie says:

okay you just made me tear up ;)
      Beautiful post, it was so sad to hear about corey passing, ive lost friends to this disease and several family members. I will not miss this episode and I will definitely need a box of Kleenex.
      RIP Corey/Finn <3

• Kat says:

Perfect sentiments.

• ZisforZombie says:

Completely agree. I have had a few family members succumb to this disease. I have been watching Glee since the beginning and I can’t imagine what the crew must be going through (still…). This episode, i hope…, will be done tastefully and with respect to his family and friends. I remember watching 8 Simple Rules and seeing how they handled John Ritter’s death. It was (I felt) handled honestly, and with respect to his family and the viewers who loved the guy. Good luck to Glee.

• Andrea says:

Tributes also allow the audience to say goodbye. Finn was a character. Cory was a person, and the average Glee viewer didn’t know him, but they know that Cory is a person who’s now gone well before when he should have been. The episode will allow viewers to say goodbye to Cory.

I can attest to this passing affecting people. Before Cory died, I had watched bits and pieces of a handful of episodes in no particular order. I have since bought the S1 DVD and am watching it because no matter what I think of Glee the show, it stands as the most recognizable public contribution of what Cory offered to the world. I want to at least be marginally aware of what that contribution is. I can’t guarantee that I’ll watch all of his episodes because it is profoundly sad to see Cory onscreen, but I want to watch at least some of his work.

• Heather says:

I’m in the same boat as you Andrea. I never watched Glee before, but my husband did. Now I’ve been watching it on Netflix trying to catch up so when this airs next week, I’ll know it all, but I haven’t made it yet. To watch him on screen and know how the disease of addiction can take its toll on those who suffer is heartbreaking. As much as people like to believe that he did this to himself, addiction is a chronic disease, and just like diabetes or cancer, symptoms may go away and the sufferer may feel better, but the disease is still there. To see a young man with such promise try to beat this disease and fail is so saddening. And to his castmates and family and friends, it’s a million times tougher to just move on than it is for the general public. Finn is one of those characters that people can relate to, and he will surely be missed on this show. Much love to the Glee cast, Cory’s family and friends, and Glee fans. This will be a tough one for all of us.

• Kim Nadelson says:

I am gratified by your insightful, eloquent post, Heather. In light of all the hateful, judgmental comments since Cory’s tragic death, it is so heartening to see a compassionate, thought-provoking post line yours. Thank you!

Sent from Kim’s IPhone.

• Kym says:

Beautiful post, Amy. I echo your sentiments exactly. My heart still aches for Cory, and I too cannot bear the thought of Glee without our beloved FInn.

9. An says:

Milking it for all it’s worth…

• It is Glee. What do you expect? They did the same with Michael Jackson’s music after his passing. A cast member is nothing else to them but another tool to exploit and try and get some ratings back. Rather than just kill the show like they should have years back.

• O-Town says:

This is a pretty hateful post. I can’t imagine that you would scoff at the show’s intentions for the tribute to their colleague. Those people lost someone they loved and you have the audacity to accuse them of doing something so hateful as being overly concerned about milking their loss. I hope one day someone comes up to you during a time of mourning and accuse you of just being an attention-whore. I hope people show you the same courtesy and disrespect you just showed to these young adults who lost someone they loved tragically.

10. lmjo says:

Not gonna lie, I haven’t watched Glee regularly for years, but I’ll probably tune in for this episode simply out of curiosity.

11. Josh says:

“The hardest word to say is goodbye” but the easiest way to say is exploitation.

12. Sally says:

Guys….there IS gonna be promotion thats just the nature of the game. Like it or not this episode is a big ratings draw. It doesn’t however mean that the network or RIB are exploiting Cory’s death. I’m loathe to defend the network bigwigs or RIB but I’m not sure there is any way to do this that won’t get them accused of exploitation or “milking it.” Finn was an integral part of the show this isn’t something they could just hand wave away.

13. Alex says:

I cried my heart out on a made-up storyline (The Break-up) and I can’t imagine what would be to watch The Quarterback, like an official goodbye to Cory/Finn…

• Angela says:

My thoughts exactly. I know people might be skeptical, too, given how the show handles big deal topics sometimes, but I honestly believe they’ll handle this with respect and reverence.
      I am definitely going to need to stock up on tissues that night. No question. It’s going to be a very tough episode to watch.

14. karenb says:

Too soon.

15. Ultimately, yes it sucks that he passed at such a young age. But it is beyond stupid and selfish that FOX and Glee Exec’s are touting his death in order to grab the ratings again. I suppose after such a lack luster few seasons of a show that should have stuck at One Season, it may be the best step for them. Still… Benefiting over one’s death? Seriously? Glee… we thought you were unable to fall any deeper. Our mistake.

• ZisforZombie says:

He is a main character – what do you expect?! Obviously season 1 was the best (even the most passionate viewers will attest to that…). But, FInn was not a minor character they are exploiting. They have to handle this at some point…Rachel and Finn were END GAME (this was clear from the first episode.) As a fan, I am happy to see them handle this, and give the fans (and the cast members, I hope!) some closure.

16. Amy says:

The tag line immediately made me think of the song by Boyz II Men – It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday.

17. Boiler says:

P H you are an absolute f’in idiot!!!!!

18. Sarah says:

Hey all you people complaining about tv stations “milking it”…go to your tv and unplug it. problem solved. I shutter to think what this world has come to when people choose to get on websites and complain…I suggest you try some positive feedback or screw off. I would be saddened if they didn’t do a tribute to the death of a young person no matter how he died…because clearly this world failed him so bad…and your complaints about tv is just the start. I pray that none of you have children. God bless this world, we need it.

• Mary says:

Sorry Sarah the world did not fail him, he failed himself. Plain and simple Cory was an addict, should he be remember on Glee, yes definitely but should Glee keep dragging it out no I don’t think they should. First episode should of been the tribute then carry on with the show. For me all they are doing is keeping old wounds open. In life people deal with death when it happens not months after, some might take that long if they are immediate family but the viewers of Glee are not. I do have children and I teach them reality and death is part of that. Cory died because he had demons he could not overcome and I hope I have taught my children that it is okay to get help when you need it and to surround themselves with positive people.

19. Sarah says:

oh and they are on season 5…they must already have the ratings or they would be off the air. ..just saying

20. A says:

I wish they had let Finn have a happy ending offscreen. Say he went backpacking in Europe or volunteering to help the less fortunate in another country.

21. DCwriter says:

In so many ways, Finn was the heart of the show, especially last year when it lost its clear focus. I wish they would have at least mentioned Finn during the first episode–not mentioning where he is at that moment or even dedicating the ep to Cory Monteith at the beginning left a huge elephant in the room and I kept asking, will they mention him or won’t they?

22. WOW. You guys are actually accusing the show of “milking it”? How is a single tribute show to the lead actor “milking it”?? COuld they have ignored it or just written the character off with no explaination? Of course they could have but that does a diservice to Cory, the cast, and the fans. If they did nothing but talk about Finn evey week for the the whole season, THAT would be milking it.

• Mary says:

I think people are not understanding the “milking it” complaints. What a lot of people are saying it should of been dealt with in the first episode. Waiting three shows in, is idiotic. I watch some of the show last night and it was strange not seeing him or them even mentioning him. Then three shows in, he dies and their is a tribute. If Finn was the heart of the show, which many states he was, then it should of been handled first episode of the season. My opinion, but I think many might agree.

• FrankiePitt says:

Mary, the cast and crew needed to get their bearings in the immediate wake of CM’s passing. Producing the already-in-progress two-part Beatles episode allowed them a simple buffer to get used to the routine of going back to work. It also allowed Ryan Murphy and the writing team to devote more time to the script which will deal with Finn’s death. That’s not “milking it,” nor is it “idiotic.” That’s being respectful. Returning to work could not have been easy for any of these people.

No one affiliated with the show – no one who knew CM personally – should have been pushed into the rawness of dealing with his death, via Finn, any more quickly than they were comfortable with it. It doesn’t matter if he was the heart of the show of the sole star of it. To suggest that waiting three weeks for Finn’s death/memorial is in any way crass or somehow taking advantage of the situation, might be a bit short-sighted. This is their pain more than ours, full stop, and if they wanted to wait till the season finale to deal with Finn’s absence, that’s their business.

I also want to add that Rachel’s performance of “Yesterday” in the season premiere was a more than subtle reference to CM’s passing and LM’s loss. They didn’t shout it from the rooftops, but it the loss of CM, in that number, was absolutely communicated.

• Thanks for that response. I agree. The writers also now had to rethink the entire season. Any Story arc with Finn in it had to be removed and new stories written. To try to cram itinto the first episode sonsidering that they were I think about a week away from beginning filming the season when Cory died, I think it is comendable that they were able to pull it all togther that quickly.

• Mary says:

Correct me if I am, which I am sure you will, but they do tape these shows before they are aired correct? Could they not have shown the tribute show first before the last night episode? I believe these were taped about a month ago. I do understand the cast had a hard time with his death, but to not address or mention anything about Finn in the first new show of the season was
          IMO short sighted.

• tvguy says:

Dude, you’re not right. Nobody agrees with you. Shut up and move on

• O-Town says:

They needed time to prepare the tribute episode – writing it, staging it, rehearsing it, and then performing and recording it. There’s also the singing which is produced and rehearsed along with the acting portions of the show, so it’s unrealistic for you to believe that the tribute episode could have gone before the Beatles episodes. I think there was a lot of insight to when and how to deal with not only the death of their castmate but also with the character. Clearly, it doesn’t make sense to you and you can’t be dinged for that but a little understanding on your part on the ramifications of the event and whatever mumbo jumbo goes into producing a show and/or an episode should be afforded to the cast and crew of the show. It’d be as disrespectful and short-sighted if I asked you, after you gave birth to a child, why you haven’t lost all your weight after you gave birth since most of it should have been the weight of the child you were carrying. It’s as insensitive as what you’re expecting the cast and crew to have done after their friend/castmate/boyfriend died.

23. Mike Pytlik says:

Tribute episode should have been the premier. Ridiculous waiting until the 3rd.

• 'A' Strikes Back says:

Once again, they had to WRITE AN ENTIRE EPISODE for him. So what did they do? Filmed the two episodes they had written already and then filmed his episode once they were done writing. It’s not ridiculous. Get over it and move on. You don’t run Glee and never will.

24. 'A' Strikes Back says:

I’m proud of the cast and crew of Glee. They gave it their all in the first episode even after losing someone so close to them. I know “The Quarterback” will be an amazing episode. It will be done tastefully and will be a proper goodbye to that wonderful man and his character. Doesn’t matter about how he died, he was still generous and sweet to everyone around him. When episode 4 comes Nov. 7, I hope people won’t complain about them not still focusing on his death because we all know how painful it will have to be to continue dealing with that. I’m respecting Lea’s decisions and so should all the other fans of this show.

25. Yeah, let’s do a tribute to a drug addict too stupid to get the dosages right

26. It’s my understanding that Leah had input on this episode. They couldn’t very well have not talked about Finn as if he disappeared could they? Criticizing an episode that has not yet aired is premature. Writing Finn off the show and paying tribute to one of the founding actors is a fitting tribute to Cory.

27. Erin says:

It is hard enough on the cast when it happened of course they waited for the 3rd episode so they could get through it without the emotions being so recent at least giving it even a short amount of time would help them to be a little more emotionally ready then they get a break of 3 weeks following the episode.

28. Jack says:

So lame they opened with 2 episodes that went on as if he never existed. No one asked where’s fin when he doesn’t show up for work; or when his brother got engaged and everyone was there…really Blain didn’t invite him to the big proposal…stupid stupid show…I’m sure the tribute will be equally so..

29. lee says:

I am going to miss very much i can’t hear his voice i hope the chacters said peace for sing his favorite songs as a tribute

30. Sonya says:

People die… use it, and move on. I have been watching Glee since season 1 episode 1. THE BEST THING TO DO IS…CONTINUE. There are SO many diverse stories within this series to add too. I LOVE/D CORY/FINN. Keep him in there…… (as a memory) JS