Exclusive

Bones Exclusive: Watch Sweets' Sad Farewell

Still sour over the role he played in Pelant’s latest crime spree, Sweets requests a leave of absence to “clear his head” in Monday’s all-new Bones (8/7c, Fox) — but his colleagues (Booth in particular) aren’t letting him go without a fight.

“[Sweets] is at a crossroads and he feels like he wants to do something more with his life than what he’s [currently] doing,” explains David Boreanaz in the following promotional video, which features new footage of the shrink’s emotional goodbye.

PHOTO | Bones Wedding First Look: Here Comes the Bride!

Press PLAY to watch Sweets bid (temporary) farewell to the team before adjusting to his new work environment (for spoilery details on what exactly he’ll be doing click here).

1. Bay says:

Hmm, not so sure I’m sad about Sweets leaving and it looks like Sweets is pretty comfy with leaving his “family”, no calls, no contact. It looks like a big Sweet “pity party”, ho hum.

• Paula Adkins says:

bones is the show on t v except for the glad,s it seem,s like every time we the people find a show we love the t v ex,s pull. for some pissy realaty bunch of crap. I’ll get my cable turned off if they keep gurking us the cosumer around .bones.the glad.s and castle are the only show;s my whole family watch,s of which there are 42 of us,first our soap,s go then they stsrt tsking off our loved people on the show,s we do love,,bones will last forever in my heart,,,they are a family ….paula..we.do care

• joe schmoe says:

Good thing you have TV Paula, at your level of literacy books must be out of the question, huh? Spend a little less time with the TV, and try to learn to spell. But, with 42(!) people in your family all watching the same shows, maybe y’all got an inbreeding problem?? Anyone got a job?

2. LK says:

Why oh why can’t it be a permanent goodbye? The character has never brought anything to the show. At least he no longer lives with Booth and Brennan. That was the worst story arc in Bones history. Ugh, make the character go away!

• Jess says:

99% of the time Sweets is just shadowing Booth’s job and doing field work with Booth instead of Brennan…..he is the most useless character on Bones IMO…if the writers had him actually doing his OWN job as Shrink or Profiler, which rarely happens, instead of being a Mary Sue in the eps, then maybe so many fans wouldn’t have a problem with him…THIS is such a redundant plot anyway as he’s only going for 1ep.

• Guest says:

It’s worse than that- in order to make room for Sweets’ character the writers had to dumb down Booth and Brennan. Booth used to have incredible intuition (gut instinct) regarding the killers, but now he has to ask Sweets all the time about why suspects/victims might have done something. Even Brennan has at times had Sweets explain something that should be basic anthropology.

• James says:

You are all way too affected by a fictional character on a tv show. You guys might think that he is useless or whatever but what does it matter? He isn’t hurting the show in any way possible.

• SLP says:

Soooooo true I didn’t mind him as Booth and Brennan’s shrink but that’s where it should have stopped

• joe schmoe says:

C’mon now, Ya gotta admit, Sweets was a pretty cool geek…

3. lucy says:

It is a Sweets pity party by the writers cos he is back the next episode according to the press release…what a pointless pointless plot..just get on with the Pelant arc already

• 206episodesofBones says:

But it is part of the Pelant arc. Everyone is suffering as a result, Sweets because he had all his files hacked. It’s called continuity. I know people don’t like Sweets but come on it’s all part of the bigger picture caused by Pelant and will be over very soon :)

4. anon says:

meh….To quote Willow from Buffy “BORED NOW”

5. Bestillmyheart_Sweetsforever says:

Sweets is one of the best parts of Bones, he add great balance and if you don’t love John Frances Daily then you must be dead inside. I can’t wait for him to come back.

• jax says:

i agree. i had no idea there were Sweets haters out there. Loved JFD since Freaks and Geeks. He is super fun on Bones. I think the worst story arc in the history of Bones was making Zack an accomplice of the Gormogon which was totally out of character and came out of thin air IMHO.

• BonesVeteran says:

Thank you!!! John is an amazing actor and when I started watching the series around season four or five I believe it was, I went back and watched the entire series from episode 1 on. I have seen every episode several times, Sweets is an amazing, lovable character and you have to be heartless not to love him! Daisy has hurt his character and that is why a lot of people don’t like him is because the matching of those two was a bit awkward and there have been more recent arches between the two that have been poorly thought out. But Sweets is a great character and he better be coming back! If this is another Zach case where “he is coming back eventually (NOT!)” I will be greatly perturbed. In fact, he should go work with Zach and either bring him back or GIVE US CLOSURE BECAUSE THEY LEFT THE BIGGEST WHOLE IN THAT PLOTLINE EVER AND DID NOTHING EITH IT AND NOW WONT BECAUSE “NEW PEOPLE WON’T UNDERSTAND!” I don’t care about me people, they can go watch the old episodes or look him up on Wikipedia, the veteran fans deserve closure! And if this is a repeat of that it may just be enough to not like the show as much anymore. Leaving fans waiting instead of giving them closure is the worst idea ever

6. Betty says:

So, he is going to clear his head and come back next week and figure out how to catch Pelant, my guess anyway. I don’t care how Pelant goes, as long as he goes.

7. Jasper777 says:

Yaaawwwwnnnnnnn. Is he gone yet?

8. Mire says:

BYE SWEETS!!…YESSSSSSSSSSS

9. Erin says:

Worst character on TV. Sweets please stay gone. no one likes you.

10. TJS says:

I hate Sweets.

11. John says:

He’s a secondary character, so meh, just like angsting over Jimmy on NCIS. Don’t understand the energy expenditure by the haters.

12. Maria says:

Is Sweets so self centered he thinks everything is about him? *eye roll* Can he just go away for good. Last season there was way too much focus on him. And it’s starting again. He really ruins the show. I think I’ll skip this episode.

• John says:

To paraphrase Jessica Rabbit, he’s not self-centered he’s just drawn that way.

• Actually, Sweets is pretty well justified for being upset. Pelant used his research to kill people and torture his friends. How would *you* feel about that? Personally, I would be upset about it but I love my friends. That kind of thing could cause upset, if one had a heart and cared about someone other than oneself.

In my opinion, Sweets is a great foil for Booth and Brennan. One of the best scenes from last seasons was when Sweets finally moved out. It was clear B&B both were going to miss him and it was very sweet. He and Booth play off each other very well and I appreciate his role in the show.

Sweets has a lot of appeal as a secondary character if you’re open enough to see it. But again, JMHO.

13. skrable2 says:

The last moment of that teaser shows Sweets being followed by someone in a car. It’s either a) Pelant, or b) one of the team checking up on him. My money is on Pelant, who manages to kidnap Sweets. This leads to a final confrontation with Booth, where in Pelant is killed … since we’ve been told Pelant isn’t long for this world

However, going back to the TVL post of predictions and a core Bones character dying this season, Bones killing Pelant isn’t in time to save Sweets … who becomes Pelant’s final victim

This leads to the team reassessing everything about their lives and not wanting to waste a minute, which is why the B/B wedding happens so quickly in the season. Some media members were present at the wedding filming were sworn to secrecy … speculation was over who was there as a guest.

However, it could be because who “isn’t” there. If Pelant kills Sweets this satisfies both the prediction of a Bones character death and the reason behind the wedding secrecy.

I’m no doubt completely wrong, but that’s my prediction

• Guest says:

Oh I hope you are right! I’ve been hoping for Sweets to die every May sweeps since the character was introduced. It would be nice to have the character gone, plus then the other actors could have a change to explore some really dark emotions (ie depression, different stages of grief, or being out for revenge) for part of the next season.

• It’s Booth driving up behind Sweets on the street. There’s a sneak peek out with the scene. And wedding photos were tweeted by guest cast members and Sweets is there. He is only going to be “gone” one episode, because the next episode is the final Pelant episode.

14. M3rc Nate says:

With someone following him driving by in a car im wondering if all this attention is going to Sweets cause hes about to get gunned down in a drive by. Idk.

Personally i think a awesome episode would be if Sweets was smart enough to see how Palant has effected everyone so badly (life savings lost, his work stolen to use against the team, etc) and he notices how Booth is acting towards Bones, and with his knowledge of Booth as both a friend and Psychologist, he comes to the conclusion that Palant must be holding something over him to ruin Booth (and Bones) life. So he decides to “act” like hes leaving, then he drops off the grid (no cell, away from cameras, all tech) and goes on the hunt for Palant, finding him, then more stuff happens,

• anon says:

sweets leaving the FBI for one ep is about him and his own selfish needs…nobody made him stop helping people that is on him….it has nothing to do with fishing out Pelant…the ep4 press release makes it clear that B&B and the Squints are working to get Pelant once and for all.

15. kmoeller68@gmail.com says:

So, for most of you (I guess) when Sweets was shot by that rookie FBI chick….and lived…must have been the worst moments in your lives. It’s TV…you shouldn’t be invested this much in fiction.

16. David says:

Darn, this headline got me excited thinking he was leaving the show.

17. jayde says:

why is everyone hating on sweets so much, jheshh he may not have many big rols but he isnt all that bad no need for half these comments :?

18. Donna Inman says:

Sweets is a good with the FBI. Sweets you will be very well miss for sure.

19. hello says:

Could it be some kind of setup to get Pelant?

20. Donna P Read says:

I happen to like Sweets – he has come along way since introduced. Personally I think Max should come back to kill Pelant leaving him on the rooftop burning.

• Ruth says:

I happen to like him too! At first I didn’t but he really did grow on me after he found his niche in the group and when we found out a little bit more of his past. Lots of people say he’s supposedly useless but I truly think that Brennan would not have grown as quickly as she has with her emotions and interactions with others without him. Yes Booth has done a large part of that but Sweets was the other part. If someone watches it purely for the science I can see why they would dislike him but he is far from useless.

• anon says:

I REALLY disagree with that Sweets helped Brennan to be the person she is today…butting into your business with no boundaries aint helping…Letting Brennan think Booth was dead for 2wks when he was told to tell her was beyond a douche move…it is actually makes him a jerk…I am still waiting for Booth to knock him out for that…

• Ruth says:

Well, that’s your opinion. They are people and they have all made pretty bad moves. Brennan saw the logic in it and there’s no need to drag it out. Sweets, Bones, Booth, Hodgins, Angela, Cam etc have all made pretty douchey mistakes. None of them are perfect and I wouldn’t want them to be.

• Bones,Booth says:

“Letting Brennan think Booth was dead for 2wks” To see how she would cope he is a SUPER JERK.Where the hell did he get that FBI Agent badge from, A cereal box?.He is ruining the show for me. HH It’s a TWO lead show not THREE.

21. Margie Tellkamp says:

I don’t want Sweets to leave. Get rid of Palant sick of him please get this story line over. When he is on I don’t watch.

• BonesVeteran says:

Agreed!!! Story arch is taking up way too much time!!! Grave digger and broadsky we weren’t CONSTANTLY alluding to which was why it was ok that they lasted as long as they did. For goon was mysterious and was therefore cool to see connections of throughout seasons. With Pelant, there is no mystery other than who is he going to kill or annoy next. He’s just that annoying psycho neighbor who’s like “LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Nothing interesting at all, no mystery, no excitement, just constant annoyance and an easy way for the writers to put off Bones and Booth getting married. Honestly, do it or don’t. Avoiding it is just bringing the effects of the moonlighting curse they supposedly skipped.

22. Ariel says:

I like Sweets and I hope it is not a permanent good bye. I think he adds a lot to the show. So sad to see so many people not like him.

23. KC says:

Sweets can come back but can we PLEASE off Daisy?! Preferably in some gloriously and gratuitously bloody way?

24. I am concerned that he is making himself vulnerable to a Pellant attack though. He is splitting from the herd so to speak. :(

• zaza says:

I don’t think Pelant will attack Sweets. Getting Sweets to doubt himself is a win for Pelant, so Pelant will be delighted to have Sweets quit his job. Plus, Sweets might very well be the key to catching Pelant, so P will be glad to have him off the case.

25. claire wright says:

They have made him into a man from the shy boy he was. He has gone through so much and just have him leave is wrong. All what he has done for “the team” is great. Please do not write him off the show.

26. Janet says:

Sweets plays a nice man and a kind person … he’s a good fit and I hate to see him leave. Seems most shows just like creepy, piggy people. If in fact he’s realllllly going, I hope it’s to a ‘more’ ‘main’ character … he has the chops, he just hasn’t had the opportunity. Some of the squints have been gross … one of them got a SHOW … creepy looking guy … hard to understand.

27. Marie says:

Finally, someone got some brains and is finally leaving what is now this crappy ass show!! Thank you for the good memories of the good old days of Bones Dr. Lance Sweets AKA John Frances Daily!! You are way better as a movie writer anyways and this tv show has gone to hell since adding that stupid baby Christina on in season 7!! She made this show go down the toilet and it goes to show since they are moving to Friday nights where shows go to die!! Need I say more!!

28. ladybug9499 says:

WOW!! Im so shocked at how much hate is going toward Sweets!! I love all the Bone characters, I dont wanna see any of them leave :'(

29. ladybug9499 says:

in all honesty…the only person who should be dismissed from the show is pelant…soooo tired of this storyline

30. Chetna says:

I like Sweets!!!!!!!!!!

31. Christine says:

Before you go clear zacks name.

• lovebondz says:

Frankly, the main reason I’m still hopeful for Zack is cause Sweets is on the show… If Sweet is gonna go, please make sure he gets the genius out of the loony bin before he does. I miss Dr. Zack so much… Want him back.

32. jennifer fields says:

sweets is such a big part of the show!!!! This is my favorite show in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. Vicki says:

Sweets is not a major character but he is important. I enjoy watching him with Booth and Bones, I hope he hurries back because he is part of the family. Just don’t let him get back with Daisy, she is just to goofy for him.

34. Lhyzz says:

I love Sweets. I don’t know why y’all are hating on him. He’s adorable and funny. I hope he’s not gone too long!

35. JBS says:

This is probably going to end in 1 of 4 ways:
    1. Sweets goes off & kills Pelant himself, then returns to the comfort of D.C & those who care about him & becoming a beloved character in the eyes of the fan base forever ;)
    2. Sweets leads Booth to where Pelant is hiding, leading Booth to ask a favor from the FBI (aka: to kill Pelant)
    3. Sweets takes his leave of absence, Pelant kills him in the process, sending the team into a rampage/manhunt which leads to Pelant being found & killed.
    4. Pelant & Sweets off each other in a stand-off (as someone else predicted)
    This storyline will most likely end with at least 1 person dead, possibly 2 (or maybe even more)

36. Ben says:

What took him so long? I left the show when it ceased to be about science and crime solving, and became just another tired love story. So far from the books now, it should change it’s name.

37. JBS says:

And add me to those who like Sweets as a character. He’s a good guy with a good heart & he brings a sense of humor to what can sometimes be a dark show. He doesn’t deserve the constant hate that he receives from “fans”.

38. Sweets is not leaving the show Hart Hanson said it is temporary issues with where his true vocation is helping society or helping individuals. I like the Sweets character he’s like the third most used character because he interacts so much with Booth and Brennan. However, he has taken over many of Booth’s duties. Profiling, and interrogations are the two main things he’s taken from David’s character. Ever since Booth’s tumor he’s become Bones’ chauffeur and lost his gut instincts which used to be almost supernatural in nature. The only good thing about this is that David now has more action scenes and heartrending scenes with Emily.

39. Susan says:

I honestly don’t think the show is looking to get rid of Sweets. But it’s kinda iffy for me, if they should keep Sweets or not. If he is kept on the show I think his character should become much much more mature. I personally would have never put my trust in him from the beggining. I hope Booth is the one who is givin the privilage of taking Pelant out!
    I

40. Rudyard Holmbast says:

I say good riddance to Sweets. If there is one character type that police procedurals and forensics shows can do without, it is the psychologist/genius who is an expert in every conceivable subject and can diagnose the mental state of a serial killer based upon a few photographs pinned to one of those glass boards that you see on so many crime shows.

41. Amy says:

It may just be me, but every time I hear/read “Sweets,” the first thing to come to mind isn’t Bones, but Buffy’s musical demon.

42. roxannework@yahoo.com says:

don’t know whats wrong with people but sweets is good he will be miss and hope he comes back soon

43. SLP says:

not a big fan of Sweets anyway. I haven’t liked him since he stopped being Booth and Brennen’s shrink (he was ok then) and became Booths partner. After that Booth suddenly lost the ability to read people and understand them he no longer was the people person of the B&B crime fighting partnership he seemed to have suddenly gone dumb about people and now needs Sweets help for simple cases. That’s what I loved about the character of Booth his interaction with suspects and victims and Rudyard Holmbast I agree geez it seems every week he’s the leading expert in a different subject

44. Cheryl says:

I LOVE SWEETS! He’s funny, he’s sweet, he’s smart. Booth and Brennan lovers please don’t forget part of the huge reason why they are together, is due to the advice and counseling that Sweets has given! Plus he gave good advice in the Gormogon case! Sweets should be given a bigger role to play in Bones. Camille should be the one to go if you ask me, she’s the one who doesn’t seem to impact the plot.

45. Lia says:

Wow, this is a rough crowd. People this is make believe and you are all getting too carried away. Whether sweets lives or dies, the show will go on and you have no control over that. Geez give the guy a break!! One of the interns dies by the way…………..

46. DOLOUR says:

BOOTH is following Sweets, Booth loves him as a father /brother /friend figure. You cannot have the same type of character on a TV SHOW,, in life everyone is different and all the different cast characters bring something different to keep the show going or it would be BORING. BONES ALL THE WAY, :)

47. You are the reason civilisation is declining says:

I love the articles on TV Line but it seems to have the nastiest small minded readers I have ever come across. I don’t just mean the ” I hate Sweets ” the “I’m not watching until Pelant is gone” or the “I’ve not watched Bones since season x but I feel the need to post on every Bones article I come across”.The “Fillion v Katic war that breaks out on every single Castle article is even worse, and don’t get me started on the vitriol spewed by TIVA v no TIVA on every NCIS item.

I feel sorry for the writers here as they must be scratching their heads sometimes. Just wow!!!

48. Tom Jones says:

Actually, the writers have done an excellent job with BONES and should be recognized for their work. Otherwise you wouldn’t have a show to comment on!!

49. S. says:

Does anybody know the name of the song playing the in background? I can’t seem to find it.

• jenn says:

It caught my attention too and I got it….Danny Cope “A Perfect Day”, and yes I know it’s a girl singing trust me this is the song.

50. Sara says:

There must be more people that like sweets. Personally I like him. I like how they have made him grow as he participated in the series. How he went from a naive boy, into a man. The problem is the man he became must be re-questioned and see if this is his place in life. I like the writers realizing in real life we do have identity crisis’s when there are large changes. It is good this episode is coming and I can’t wait to see it.