American Horror Story: Coven Opening Credits: Beware the Stick Figure in the Woods!

If Ryan Murphy ever hosted Hollywood Game Night, his first challenge might be something like counting the number of terrifying images in the minute-long opening credits for American Horror Story: Coven.

The just-released main-title sequence — embedded below — has a screaming lady, a Blair Witch branches situation, a deeply concerned horse, some form of bleeding appendage and a stick-like creature that’ll have you approaching Arbor Day with a whole new sense of terror. Plus, there’s a sequence that reminds me of that classic Absolutely Fabulous accusation: “You in a hood in a wood!”

AHS: Coven, which stars Jessica Lange, Angela Bassett, Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson and Gabourey Sidibe, will explore “themes of race and oppression and family — especially mothers and daughters — along with laughs and scares and a few tears,” exec producer Tim Minear teased at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour last month. It premieres October 9 at 10/9c on FX.

Press play below for the whole shebang, then hit the comments with your thoughts. Have the main titles got you even more excited about AHS: Coven? Sound off below!

1. Joey says:

Does it really star Angela Bassett and Gabourey Sidibe? I mean, they say it does, and I heard it does, but they aren’t listed in the credits.

Are they only meant to be recurring/guest stars?

• Nicole says:

my thoughts exactly!

• Jon says:

I guess they’re only on as guest stars, like Chloe Sevigny, Dylan McDermott, Jenna Dewan-Tatum and Adam Levine last year.

• SarahFW says:

From what I can tell Angela Bassett will probably be in a more featured guest role, but Gabourey Sidibe would appear to be a main cast member, as she is one of the girls attending the witch school.

• Syndi says:

They are listed in the opening credits with the spooky font. Their characters are great!

• Ketchum says:

I thought I was the only one who noticed it…not trying to pull the race card but they are listed as “special guests” after the main credits end…I’m not sure why thought because Emma Roberts is listed in the main and she lasted all of 3 episodes…

2. wrstlgirl says:

Creepy!! This season looks like I may be watching between my fingers :-)

3. Dochas says:

Other than the video itself, my favorite part of this article is the phrase “deeply concerned horse.” It made me laugh the trailer gave me a case of the creepy.
    @Joey, as they aren’t in the opening credits they would be considered guest/recurring but that doesn’t mean they won’t be prominent. It simply means they aren’t contracted regulars.

• Joey says:

Oh, I’m aware of that. I mean, Frances Conroy was extremely present in Murder House as Moira, appearing in I think all episodes except one (or maybe in all of them?).

It seemed as if they were marketing it as Angela and Gabourey (but especially Angela) would be main cast.

• K says:

Like Adam Levine in ‘Asylum’.

• You’re right. When I skimmed back through the teasers, it does indicate she would be a main character. Maybe not so much with Gabourey. I really hope they don’t waste them! It seems as though Angela Bassett is one of the main 3 “teachers” standing with Kathy and Jessica in one of the teasers shown. It would be a huge mistake to not use her talents.

• Syndi says:

Both of their characters have been going strong since the first episode of this season. They are fantastic! Their names are shown in the opening credits.
        Too bad Adam Levine was only in one episode ( or was it 2?)

Love AHS!

4. Tim says:

Deals with oppression and race but all white actors in opening credits

5. Isabelle says:

I love the theme music and so happy they continue to use the same one, it’s so creepy and fun

6. Phil says:

Loved the titles but Angela Bassett should definitely be listed as a main regular cast member.

7. john caldwell says:

I think the trailer needs work and the music has been tamed down too much.The trailer has a silhouette of a woman with a lacy shawl that looks new. It should look very old and torn and brown or grey like from a grave. You might as well go with completely new music if you are going to go with this music. I find the ending music of the Dexter series to be totally haunting end scary, listen to that.

8. MamaG says:

I never watched Seasons 1-2 of this show, but have become hooked on Season 3. What on earth are they saying in the opening credits? Witch-skip? Witch-kill? What is it?

• I have been trying to decipher what is being said in opening credits of coven too, anyone else?

• Robin says:

Driving me nuts!!!!! I thought it was saying “mean streak” but my husband can’t make out any words at all. I read on another blog that it was dripping water, but not words. I KNOW they are whispering something! LO

• Carla says:

Wow, “mean streak” is the best guess I’ve heard; definitely sounds like words to me (witch-skip sounds good too, but i think they’ve used the same sound for all 3 seasons). If anybody finds out… thanks

• Zac says:

I think it sounds like “witchcraft” but my wife and her brother say it’s just a noise… Idk, but somebody needs to call Kyle Cooper for the low-down.

9. Gee says:

To me it sounds like; Are you scared?

10. Lou says:

We’ve thought. Rescue. Let’s kill or I’m scared …..

11. Emilio says:

Please someone tell me more about that thing at @0:21 its so creepy and scary

12. Lola_blue says:

I though it said either “are you scared” or “were here”

13. Susan says:

What do they whisper

14. Aaron Ververs says:

Jessica Lange is simply a fantastic actress – one can get deeply caught up in her characters.

15. Cassidy Dehart says:

what IS the stick figure creature in the woods.