American Horror Story: Coven Opening Credits: Beware the Stick Figure in the Woods!

Get More: Previews, Video

If Ryan Murphy ever hosted Hollywood Game Night, his first challenge might be something like counting the number of terrifying images in the minute-long opening credits for American Horror Story: Coven.

The just-released main-title sequence — embedded below — has a screaming lady, a Blair Witch branches situation, a deeply concerned horse, some form of bleeding appendage and a stick-like creature that’ll have you approaching Arbor Day with a whole new sense of terror. Plus, there’s a sequence that reminds me of that classic Absolutely Fabulous accusation: “You in a hood in a wood!”

AHS: Coven, which stars Jessica Lange, Angela Bassett, Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson and Gabourey Sidibe, will explore “themes of race and oppression and family — especially mothers and daughters — along with laughs and scares and a few tears,” exec producer Tim Minear teased at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour last month. It premieres October 9 at 10/9c on FX.

Press play below for the whole shebang, then hit the comments with your thoughts. Have the main titles got you even more excited about AHS: Coven? Sound off below!

Comments (34)

• Spooky!

Comment by Amanda – September 25, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the opening of AHS, the audio with the fly buzz also has what sounds like a man’s voice saying something over and over. What is he saying?

Comment by Syndi – November 7, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • where’s the check?

Comment by carol – November 14, 2013 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • PLEASE!!! If anyone can answer that question i’d be glad to know as well; it’s been driving me crazy. And haven’t those words been part of the opening audio for all 3 seasons?

Comment by Carla – December 16, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • AHS I think. it’s saying “RESCUE” ??

Comment by chris – December 24, 2013 01:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • some one told me they r saying your gonna die

Comment by laurie – January 23, 2014 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • honestly, every time it sounds like “are you scared?” to me and my mom. My dad (who is a sound designer in the video game industry) thinks it is just dripping.

Comment by Maeve – January 29, 2014 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does it really star Angela Bassett and Gabourey Sidibe? I mean, they say it does, and I heard it does, but they aren’t listed in the credits.

Are they only meant to be recurring/guest stars?

Comment by Joey – September 25, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my thoughts exactly!

Comment by Nicole – September 25, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess they’re only on as guest stars, like Chloe Sevigny, Dylan McDermott, Jenna Dewan-Tatum and Adam Levine last year.

Comment by Jon – September 25, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From what I can tell Angela Bassett will probably be in a more featured guest role, but Gabourey Sidibe would appear to be a main cast member, as she is one of the girls attending the witch school.

Comment by SarahFW – September 26, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are listed in the opening credits with the spooky font. Their characters are great!

Comment by Syndi – November 7, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kathy Bates’ character is down right creepy !

Comment by Syndi – November 7, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No wait, I was wrong. But I did see their names in the spooky font. I didn’t know Angela and Gabourey were going to be in AHS, so I looked for their names. Love them both!

Comment by Syndi – November 7, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Creepy!! This season looks like I may be watching between my fingers :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 25, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Other than the video itself, my favorite part of this article is the phrase “deeply concerned horse.” It made me laugh the trailer gave me a case of the creepy.
    @Joey, as they aren’t in the opening credits they would be considered guest/recurring but that doesn’t mean they won’t be prominent. It simply means they aren’t contracted regulars.

Comment by Dochas – September 25, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, I’m aware of that. I mean, Frances Conroy was extremely present in Murder House as Moira, appearing in I think all episodes except one (or maybe in all of them?).

It seemed as if they were marketing it as Angela and Gabourey (but especially Angela) would be main cast.

Comment by Joey – September 25, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Like Adam Levine in ‘Asylum’.

Comment by K – September 25, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That ended up being a blessing. :P

I think they used him just enough.

Comment by Joey – September 25, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re right. When I skimmed back through the teasers, it does indicate she would be a main character. Maybe not so much with Gabourey. I really hope they don’t waste them! It seems as though Angela Bassett is one of the main 3 “teachers” standing with Kathy and Jessica in one of the teasers shown. It would be a huge mistake to not use her talents.

Comment by toniinterrupted – September 25, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Both of their characters have been going strong since the first episode of this season. They are fantastic! Their names are shown in the opening credits.
        Too bad Adam Levine was only in one episode ( or was it 2?)

Love AHS!

Comment by Syndi – November 7, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deals with oppression and race but all white actors in opening credits

Comment by Tim – September 25, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I mean really. I had this exact same thought.

Comment by the girl – September 25, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the theme music and so happy they continue to use the same one, it’s so creepy and fun

Comment by Isabelle – September 25, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the titles but Angela Bassett should definitely be listed as a main regular cast member.

Comment by Phil – September 26, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the trailer needs work and the music has been tamed down too much.The trailer has a silhouette of a woman with a lacy shawl that looks new. It should look very old and torn and brown or grey like from a grave. You might as well go with completely new music if you are going to go with this music. I find the ending music of the Dexter series to be totally haunting end scary, listen to that.

Comment by john caldwell – September 28, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never watched Seasons 1-2 of this show, but have become hooked on Season 3. What on earth are they saying in the opening credits? Witch-skip? Witch-kill? What is it?

Comment by MamaG – November 4, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have been trying to decipher what is being said in opening credits of coven too, anyone else?

Comment by Vikki Fedorczyk – November 21, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Driving me nuts!!!!! I thought it was saying “mean streak” but my husband can’t make out any words at all. I read on another blog that it was dripping water, but not words. I KNOW they are whispering something! LO

Comment by Robin – December 6, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, “mean streak” is the best guess I’ve heard; definitely sounds like words to me (witch-skip sounds good too, but i think they’ve used the same sound for all 3 seasons). If anybody finds out… thanks

Comment by Carla – December 16, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it sounds like “witchcraft” but my wife and her brother say it’s just a noise… Idk, but somebody needs to call Kyle Cooper for the low-down.

Comment by Zac – February 26, 2014 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To me it sounds like; Are you scared?

Comment by Gee – January 22, 2014 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’ve thought. Rescue. Let’s kill or I’m scared …..

Comment by Lou – January 29, 2014 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post