Did Trophy Wife Bring Home the Prize?

Get More: Premieres, Recaps

Trophy WifeSometimes you meet a new, young comedy and — despite any obstacles — can’t help but fall in love. Was this the case for you and ABC’s Trophy Wife?

This new single-camera sitcom premiered Tuesday at 9:30/8:30c and brought more laughs than an adolescent’s attempts at erotica. Directed by Broadway vet Jason Moore (Pitch Perfect), the pilot does an ace job of introducing the titular wife, Kate (Malin Akerman, Childrens Hospital), and the hilarious family in which she finds herself embroiled.

When party girl Kate meets lawyer Pete (Bradley Whitford, The West Wing) — by breaking his nose in a karaoke mishap — she doesn’t expect to be introduced to his two ex-wives and three kids the very same night. But she falls for the older man and soon goes from carefree serial dater to Wife #3 and stepmom.

Akerman shines in the lead role, particularly in scenes opposite Ex-wife #1 (Marcia Gay Harden, The Newsroom), whose icy perfectionism makes her Kate’s polar opposite. The most promising supporting character, however, is Ex #2, played by Michaela Watkins (Saturday Night Live). Whether she’s trying to swap out a dead hamster for a live one or frantically searching her ex-husband’s lawn for a hide-a-key, Watkins is very funny. In addition, Natalie Morales (Parks & Recreation) offers a welcome bit of sass as Kate’s irresponsible bestie.

Kate’s attempts to bond with her stepkids, particularly by chugging a water bottle full of vodka to protect her stepdaughter (Gianna LePera in the pilot, but Once Upon a Time‘s Bailee Madison in subsequent episodes), make for some of the episode’s highlights, so we’re curious to see how the recasting affects the burgeoning camaraderie between stepmom and stepdaughter. All in all, Trophy Wife is adorable and entertaining, and we can’t wait to see more.

But enough about what we thought: What was your take on Trophy Wife? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

Comments (43)

• Pretty funny. Love Malin Akerman.. This cast is too good to be bad. The little Asian boy is my favorite.

Comment by Rebecca – September 24, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Malin Akerman is the real reason why I’m tuning in to Trophy Wife and see how the rest of the series plays out. Plus Bradley Whitford, Michaela Watkins (still bummed from her SNL exit after Season 34 ended) and Marcia Gay Harden are at their best.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 24, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was decent, I enjoyed it but mostly cause I love Malin Akerman. It wasn’t hilarious but everyone is good in their roles and it has potential.

Comment by dude – September 24, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Malin Akerman and Michaela Watkins and really liked the show.

Comment by Tracy – September 24, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t too bad at all. Very real. Very funny in its own way. Marcia, Bradley, and Malin were the main highlights. Wouldn’t say it was AMAZING but it was above average. Solid Tuesday comedy. Will be tuning back in next week.

The Goldbergs was hilarious in my opinion, also was wry solid too. Great cast. Very real and funny ’80s portrayal. Will also be tuning back in next week.

ABC has keepers with all their Tuesdays shows except lucky 7. Have not watched and will not watch it. Goldbergs and Trophy wife are surprisingly a decent pair, even though TW would be better with Modern family, IMO. And SHIELD works great to start off the night. Risky decision to go all new on Tuesday for ABC but It just may work out. We shall see tomorrow.

Comment by Matt – September 24, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like it… I’m looking forward to the next episode.

Comment by Erika – September 24, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it! (But I’m a bad judge because I would literally watch Bradley Whitford count blades of grass.)

Comment by Lana – September 24, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We must be twins separated at birth. Even reading the phone book would work!

Comment by M – September 25, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. I am watching MOM because of Aunt Bonnie, also from West Wing.

Comment by Roses C – October 1, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i dig it. malin akerman was great. as were all the other ladies. and the kids were awesome. i’ll tune in next week for sure.

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 24, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very funny. The vodka chugging scene was a hoot…and I’m a huge Michaela Watkins fan. I’ll be watching again.

Comment by Musicfan5 – September 24, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed it and can’t wait for episode two. Malin Ackerman and Bradley Whitford were great and have me completely invested in Kate and Pete’s relationship. The second ex-wife while she has her funny moments is really a useless character.

Comment by Mary – September 24, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ex #2, Jackie, gave me the biggest laugh of the entire episode in the last scene.

Comment by Babygate – September 24, 2013 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just about died watching that scene on their front lawn. Pure brilliance.

Comment by Christina – September 25, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t find it funny at all. Did other people?

Comment by Judy – September 24, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Didn’t find it funny either, though I was looking forward to it since the trailer. It felt kinda rushed and forced.

Comment by Meh – September 25, 2013 04:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My fav new comedy so far, I laughed so freaking hard with the vodka chugging and her drunk. The goldbergs was fine too though not as funny, just ok. Also love shield and lucky 7 which was the biggest surprise so far

Comment by Juan – September 24, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the first episode, it was good and funny.

Comment by Joey – September 24, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Marcia Gay Harden looks like Bruce McCulloch in drag. (from The Kids in the Hall)

Comment by helen – September 24, 2013 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It felt a bit uneven. Like it went from really funny to flat and back to funny. But that last scene with the hide-a-key made me laugh so hard! The episode as a whole wasn’t perfect but it shows a lot of potential. The cast is phenomenal.And with Bailee Madison playing the twin sister I think it will be even better. That girl is fantastic. I think if they work out the kinks, this will be better than Modern Family.

Comment by Babygate – September 24, 2013 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed it especially Marcia but they need to tone it down a bit. This show would have benefitted from a mockumentary style like Modern Family and Parks and Recs.

Comment by Olive – September 24, 2013 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have not laughed so hard in a long time. I loved the scenes about the hamsters! and the hide a key at the end was hysterical! Marcia Gay Harden is great as the stone face serious first wife. I can’t wait for the next episode.

Comment by Bryce – September 25, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes because chugging a bottle of vodka is just so hilarious….NOT.

Comment by Len – September 25, 2013 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found the premiere both charming and funny. This was my favorite comedy pilot so far this fall and I will continue to tune in.

Comment by Jess (@CrashandBurn9) – September 25, 2013 03:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The little Asian boy is amazing!

Comment by J – September 25, 2013 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found the show ok, but I did not laugh out loud at all.

Comment by MJ – September 25, 2013 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it BUT unlike most everyone else, ex-wife #2 was annoying to me and all I could think was how did Bradley Whitford’s character marry this psycho. Loved the adopted Asian kid…he was hilarious. Glad they recast the daughter cause that girl was flat. Malin and Marcia play off each other well. I think it has great potential and I’ll keep tuning in until The Originals is on and then I’ll DVR it. I need some decent comedies to watch since all my other faves are dramas.

Comment by GS – September 25, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was hilarious, best new comedy of the season so far. They were fools not to pair this with Modern Family, it has the exact same vibe and would have been a great match. It’s the only new ABC comedy this fall that I can see making it past season 1 as well. Haven’t seen Super Fun Night, yet, though, so maybe that will be a hit as well, though, judging by the reviews it’s pretty unlikely.

Comment by starship – September 25, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t catch, glad to see it received so well. We could use another good comedy.

Comment by buttermop (@buttermop) – September 25, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it. I love Bradley Whitford. I would marry him if I could and I don’t like older men…lol. The hospital scene was hilarious. Malin Ackerman usually plays characters I don’t like. This is the first time I’ve enjoyed her.

Comment by tp – September 25, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • who played Hillary in trophy wife’s pilot?…it wasn’t bailee madison..at least it didn;t look like her???

Comment by grey wolf – September 25, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the show was much better than its lead-in, The Goldbergs. So I’m distressed that Trophy Wife had a substantial ratings drop off from The Goldbergs. Love Malin.

Comment by HAP – September 25, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The kids were awesome, especially the little one. When he screamed “Oh my God! I got a horn dog!” when they gave him the puppy, I was dying! Excited to see more!

Comment by Jules – September 25, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The character Hillary was Gianna LePera in the pilot. She was believable and awesome. I hope to see her in another role soon.

Comment by james rigney – September 25, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was OK, not spectacular, but it has an amazing cast, so I’m hoping for the best in the long run. I think pilots are tough to gage the show by, since they’re really only made to please the bosses and make it to series. I will judge after episode 2 and 3 and they start to settle in.

Also, why was the oldest daughter recast? She was good!

Comment by Philly In DC – September 26, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I try not to be overly critical of pilots. Shows generally need to get their feet a little wet before they settle into a groove. It wasn’t the best pilot I’ve seen, but it wasn’t the worst thing ever either. I think the main problem is trying to introduce too much in half an hour. We don’t have to love/hate/or even know every single character in minute one. It’s deserving of a couple of more episodes before I cast my final vote. At this point if there were a DVR conflict it would be on the bubble, since there isn’t I’ll give it some time.

Comment by dq18 – September 26, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted to like it, I really did. I tuned in for Bradley Whitford, but he can’t sustain it for me. I kept thinking “Why did he marry ANY of these women?” I know pilots are overburdened with the need for much exposition to get the ball rolling, but this just fell flat from start to finish. Deleted from DVR schedule already.

Comment by SilentE – September 26, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoyed the first episode and thought it would be a show I’d watch. Then I tune in to the 2nd episode and see the cast change. Will no longer watch, that young actress is so annoying, such an over-actor. Can’t watch any show or movie with her in it.

Comment by meg – October 1, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yup I agree I do not like the new daughter at all. She is an over actor and she even sucks in once upon a time. So even though I love Malin I will no longer watch the show.

Comment by victoria – October 1, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The cast change ruined it for me. The original Hillary was “real” and perfect for the part. The new Hillary is full of inappropriate cuteness. Sorry, don’t mean to offend, but the change in cast ruined it and was a bad call.

Comment by carole Gaul – October 2, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely loved the first episode. Hilarious….and the cast was perfect. I don’t watch more than 5 hours of T.V. in a month. Literally. I believe that there is soooo much garbage on these days that will lower values, morals and IQ that it just isn’t worth my time. This is a cute, sweet, fun show that although very lighthearted, illustrates the quirkiness, reality and often times difficulty of becoming a blended family. I noticed the cast change of the daughter immediately and was extremely disappointed as well!! I was so disappointed that I actually googled it as I was watching it (On Demand) and couldn’t find out why. Gianna LePera is the actress who played the daughter in ths first episode was perfect for the part, she was absolutely believable and the snotiness seemed to come naturally to her, that is a compliment to her acting skills not her personally! :-) Seriously though…it is terrible to say rude or nasty things about about the young girl who was recast to play the daughter. She is just a kid who took an extremely lucrative job, that I am pretty sure any one of us would take, yet she really can’t execute the character so it is casting’s fault for putting her there. They need to get Gianna LePera back or find another actress to play the part. I just could not get into the second episode because it was so distracting. I will wait for the third episode with my fingers crossed in hopes that they will see what we all have seen and correct it and bring back the authenticity!

Comment by Stefanie Zofia – October 5, 2013 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoying the show; not sure about the cast change yet. The actress who played the daughter in the pilot seemed to fit the role better. But I’ll keep watching.

Comment by levettemcd – October 5, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was disappointed about how they recast the older daughter at first, but now I understand why. They character became preppier and Bailee Madison definitely fits the role. The other girl had more spunk and fit the plot line of the first episode but not the rest.

Comment by maddie – January 7, 2014 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post