FX Renews The Bridge for Season 2

The Bridge Renewed FX’s The Bridge is in no danger of collapsing: The cabler has renewed the Demian Bichir-Diane Kruger drama for a 13-episode second season.

Ratings for the rookie series have shot up 89 percent when Live +7 data is factored in. Season-to-date, The Bridge is drawing 3.65 million total viewers and 1.68 million Adults 18-49.

The show’s Season 1 finale airs Oct. 2.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the Bridge pickup.

1. Happy to hear the good news and more Diane Kruger (smokin’ hot).

2. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

The Bridge has been amazing this is great news.

3. Stephanie says:

SO glad! Have been really enjoying this show!! I always get nervous to start with a new show b/c they seem to get canceled so quickly these days.

4. Sally Sauter says:

I am Soooooooooooo GLAD that “The Bridge” is being renewed!! :-D It is a super show! Thank you, FX!

5. wrstlgirl says:

The last few eps have really been tugging the ol’ heart strings. Great TV, happy to hear about the renewal.

• Marc says:

Ohh, last week’s episode was draining for me to watch because it was so full of emotion. Hate for Hastings for his evil smirk, grief for Marco knowing that he will be carrying around the guilt for the rest of his life and sadness for Sonya, especially during the hospital scene when she wanted so desperately to help Marco.

Great acting, so happy that its coming back.

6. Bobbi says:

Happy to hear this! We have really enjoyed this season.

7. Terry Delp says:

any news about the Glades, any other network interest? I will really miss this show.

8. Lyn says:

Well, Demian Bichir is amazing and deserves a wider audience. And the supporting cast is good; the setting is different. Now if only Diane Kruger could get a handle on her character and make her seem like someone who actually could be a police officer ANYwhere in the real world.

9. Rusty says:

Good thing!

10. Jerry says:

“The Bridge” is excellent television. Thank you FX for renewing.

11. Kim OQuinn says:

I thought it was only a one shot run. Glad to hear it will be back. Really do like this show. Not sure what they will do with season 2 though…

12. Steph says:

best news ever!!

13. Aimee says:

Great news! I love this show.

14. Amy says:

BEST…NEWS…EVER!!

15. mandy says:

I’ve enjoyed it for the most part, but the writing needs to improve. Some of the plotlines were all over the place. Bichir is no doubt the biggest draw, although I have been enjoying seeing Ted Levine again. I’m kind of neutral on Kruger, although I know that many people don’t like her portrayal. Maybe next season will iron out some of these issues. I hope so because I like the premise of border issues.

16. Rich Brayer says:

good news; truly a well acted and written show

17. Shaun says:

Need a better plot for season 2.

18. lalaland2013 says:

Not for nothing, the performances were stellar, but it is almost word-for-word identical to the Danish version Bron/Broen. So there’s no original writing here, I’d even go as far as to say that the cast ensemble of the Danish show did it much better. But that’s just my own humble opinion

19. Marc says:

YES!!!!!!!!! I kept combing the internet looking for news about this and finally! Thank you FX.

20. Becky says:

I have been waiting for this news since the third episode. LOVE this show!!

21. git says:

That’s it, I have lost my faith in TV.
    This show is a joke, the plot make no sense and Diane Kruger is the worst actress on TV. But the’ll probably get an Emmy.

• Marc says:

Diane Kruger is doing exactly what she is supposed to be doing which is to playing the role of a police detective with Asperger’s Syndrome. You witness her constant struggle to connect with victims who she is trying to help and her inability to have personal relationships. I find her perfomance realistic and convincing because she plays Sonya as a woman who recognizes that she does not connect with people the way that others do, but does not carry that knowledge around like some shroud. She is who she is and she tries, despite not always succeeding.

• git says:

I know people with Asperger’s Syndrome, and that’s not how they act. She plays a robot, a bitchy robot, and she does it with over acting.
        It’s painful to watch her trying to act, and it’s kind of insulting to people who really have Asperger’s Syndrome and it puts them in a bad light.

• kate says:

I know people with Asperger’s syndrome who act EXACTLY like Sonya. what? you don’t know everything there is to know about Asperger’s? I’m SHOCKED.

• Marc says:

Asperger’s Syndrome affects people in different ways and to varying degrees. The people that you know do NOT serve as a template for what people with Asperger’s must behave like. The fact that Diane Kruger’s portrayal as a woman with Asperger’s is different from what you know does not make her portrayal incorrect, it’s just revealing another level of the syndrome, adding the unpredictable nature of Sonya’s job which can throw someone with Asperger’s off their routine makes her situation an even more tenable one. Diane Kruger has successfully been playing this role from the start.
          And if you’ve watched every episode like I have, you’d realize that she is far from robotic either. When she is faced with unexpected difficulties you can sense her struggle and confusion trying to decipher what the ‘correct’ or needed response is supposed to be. Last week’s episode is the biggest example of this.

22. Roni says:

Great news. I hope they expand Adriana’s role next season (assuming she survives this one).

23. arial2 says:

Diane Kruger is not “the worst actress on television.” Her character has Asperger’s Syndrome, a form of autism, and she does a credible job portraying the character. Glad for the renewal. I’ve been through that economically depressed (and depressing) area of the border several times and the series made me feel I was right back there. The storyline was honest about the lack of interest (or lack of resources) by Mexican authorities in the number of women and young girls murdered there; it’s been an ongoing problem for years. Now, if only A&E would get off the fence and renew Longmire, I’d be a happy camper.

• TL says:

Agreed! Not sure why all the Kruger hate, I think she’s been doing an awesome job with the character.

• RichieS says:

+2 on Diane Kruger. That was definitely an emmy-worthy performance. And props to the show’s makeup staff who turned one of the world’s most beautiful women into a very average looking policewoman with major dark circles under her eyes. And her Asperger’s portrayal is spot on.

• git says:

That’s the problem, people think that because she plays a character with Asperger’s Syndrome it’s ok that she acts like this. IT’S NOT!
      That is not an accurate description of Asperger’s, that’s just a bad actress playing like a robot and moves her eyes a lot.
      Watch the original, even watch just gifs of the original and you’ll see how that character suppose to act. There is a difference between “I don’t understand what I did/said wrong” and “I don’t care what I did/said wrong”… The first one describes Asperger’s Syndrome, the second one describes bitchy people…. And Diane is the second one.
      You can’t use the Asperger’s excuse to justify her bad acting.

• Mark says:

I know a person with Asperger’s that acts just like her. By the way, have you watched “Inglourious Basterds”? Diane is definitely not a bad actress.

• Marc says:

Oy vey! Seriously git, how many people do YOU know with Aspergers? If you can answer that you know every single person in the world with Aspergers and NONE of them behave the way that Diane Kruger is playing Sonya then maybe you’d have a valid point, but like others have stated, they know real people who behave like Sonya does. But to say that people with Aspergers do not act this specific way or that is INCORRECT because the symptoms are recognized on a spectrum therefore there are varying degrees. Some individual may be considered as only moderate while others have more pronounced symptoms.

• git says:

I know about 17 people with Asperger’s Syndrome, they are all in a special program with my cousin. And some of them act close to how Diane does on the show.
          BUT
          Like I said, Asperger’s Syndrome is more “I don’t KNOW what I did/said wrong”, the vibe Diane bring to the table is “I don’t CARE what I did/said wrong”. It’s a slight difference in behavior, but it makes a HUGE difference.
          But don’t worry she’ll probably win an Emmy

• kate says:

that’s the vibe YOU get. I don’t get that vibe at all. it’s plain how hard she tries. maybe YOUR observational skills could use some work.

• Roses C says:

Totally agree about Longmire. One of my faves. Great show. Glad THE BRIDGE was renewed. Also one of my faves. I am really sorry about KING & MAXWELL. Really enjoyed the characters. Will be missed. But THE BRIDGE is so different from regular programming, we are being spoiled. We expect more than the REALITY! shows and the formulaic sit-coms. Although I do have an aversion to 1/2 hour shows anyway. I am trying Trophy Wife and Mom, simply because I loved West Wing and the actors involved are 2 of my favorites.

24. Dick Whitman says:

Awesome news.

25. Linderella says:

So glad to learn this show has been renewed! I don’t get the criticism of Diane Kruger’s portrayal. think she’s awesome and her talent is worthy of award recognition.

26. Aprilcot says:

Love. This. Show! I’ve really enjoyed Demian Bichir and it’s been awesome to see Matthew Lillard from week to week. I’ve loved him since Scream and I think he’s terribly underrated.

27. GARY says:

awesome show. we need more excellent tv like this… great acting and story line thanks FX!!!

28. audi says:

FX I LOVE U GUYS!!!!! THANK U SO MUCH FOR ALL UR AMAZING SHOWS . THE BRIDGE , SOA , & AMERICAN HORROR STORY … KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK..