Chicago Fire Recap: A House in Danger

Chicago Fire Season 2 RecapWell, that’s one way to deal with losing your baby mama to another show.

Tuesday’s Chicago Fire Season 2 premiere planted some tantalizing seeds about how it possibly plans to resolve Severide’s surprise impending fatherhood and tried to squash the sparks on a would-be couple.

Read on for the episode’s highlights.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Chicago Fire and 44 Other Returning Faves

BABY DRAMA | Shay doesn’t think the math on Renée’s due date adds up, but Severide – who’s moving in with his preggers ex – is having none of his pal’s doubts, and storms off during their lunch. Still, the paternity issue is clearly on his mind because he spends most of the episode worried about either that or the arsonist who’s targeting him. (Who is this person, and why does he have it out for Severide? Is it because he’s hunkier?) Unfortunately, Renée is kicking ass on Person of Interest visiting her parents, and he doesn’t want to get into the delicate matter over the phone, he tells Shay.

SEXUAL TENSION | Casey’s back on the job and feeling renewed after taking a trip to Dawson’s dad’s favorite spot. Although Gabby tells him she’s OK being there for him as a friend, you just know these two are lying to themselves, especially when a dangerous fire endangers them both. The look of relief on their faces when they see each other in safety says it all.

RELATED | Fall TV 2013: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

THE WORKPLACE SHUFFLE | The city’s new consultant Gail McLeod (played by Michelle Forbes) is reining in expenditures, which means Firehouse 51 is on the chopping block. Chief Boden warns his staff that it’s time to stop their side trips on the truck to get ice cream. It also means one house has already been shut down and some of their men, like Clarke, have been transferred to 51. Gail takes this opportunity to recruit Clark as a spy to tell her what’s really going on there. (And if he refuses? Well, he’s out of a job.) Considering Casey took the firetruck to visit his buddy Andy’s widow Heather at happy hour and she got arrested for drunk driving, Clark is going to have a lot to talk about. (Did all of this transferee’s knowledge of arsonist tools and the eager way he introduced himself to Severide make you wonder if he’s the criminal?)

COP OUT | Is Mills still contemplating a move to Chicago PD? Antonio tells him he saw his application, which he’ll keep to himself, and that he’d make a great cop.

THIS AND THAT | Herrmann and Dawson send Cruz to spy on Molly’s competition, Game Day, and the news is not good: The fancy bar down the street is awesome. But does it have Jesse Lee Soffer from Chicago PD as a patron? … Mouch decides to run for Union president.

Chicago Fire fans, what did you think of the premiere’s dramatic turns? Before you hit the comments with your thoughts, grade the episode below!

1. tornado says:

wait. i thought the Captain advised Mills that one of the new guys was going on squad so Mills wouldn’t be upset. i don’t think Mills was promoted. that’s why he was staring at Clark with such venom. Clark took his squad spot. did i misread/mishear that?

2. Julio says:

I thought it was a great season opener. Severide – Arsonist storyline is good!

3. Martoukian says:

Reining in, not “reigning in.”

4. Beth says:

Great opener. I do think they need to revise the Mills getting into squad because boden clearly said the new guy (most likely Severides arsonist) is squad. The heat that came from that Casey/Dawson stare was not from the fire! Loved it

5. Rae says:

Umm…Mills did NOT get a promotion to rescue squad. Boden informed Mills at the end of last season that he did not make squad. Regardless, great season premiere.

6. Nancy says:

Love, love, loved it! They are making us think that one of the new guys is in on the fires. Why make himself look guilty? I think the b*tch from last season hired someone to start them. She’s CRAZY! People could die. Or maybe it’s the REAL father of the baby?? The due date is just shy of 3 weeks off. Could the Dr. be that far off?? Or did the writers make that up because Momma is moving to Persons Of Interest?? Probably.

• tp says:

I don’t understand the math. If the last time the had sex was in Feb and the baby is due around Thanksgiving. That’s about right. Not the beginning of Nov. A woman is pregnant for 40 weeks. Anything after 38 is considered full term. How did Shay get beginning of Feb? I know it will end up not being his baby for the storyline but still…

7. Chablis says:

Thanks for recapping. Not a fan of Dawson and Casey.

8. HeatherC says:

I LOVED the premiere last night and I’m so glad you guys are doing recaps now. I can’t wait to see what happens next! =)

9. Bren says:

I loved it awesome as always, I’m a big fan of Casey & Dawson they need to get together already, with that much heat coming through the screen, good story going with Severide too, he’s had so many enemies in the past the arsonist could be anybody!!!

• wrstlgirl says:

I don’t see this heat you speak of :-) I find Dawson desperate and if she and Casey get together it will just bring him down. I wish the show would just move on past this ridiculous wannabe love story.

• Shaun says:

she’s desperate because he’s playing hot and cold with her and she’s wanted him from the start.

• wrstlgirl says:

Given the timeline of the show she’s been pining for him for over a years……Time to sh*t or get off the pot as they say……desperate. Of course they will eventually get together and then fall apart, then get back together and so on and so on……this kind of crap drags a show down and takes time away from better story lines. I love CF but I can see this coming and I’m tired of it already. Vampire Diaries anyone?!?! We’re going into S5 and they’re still giving us the stupid Elena/Damon/Stefan triangle crap.

10. Jess says:

Who is the actor playing Clark?

11. Michelle says:

Count me in as someone who is looking forward to Dawson and Casey! Loved the premiere!

12. Kel507 says:

Loved this episode start to finish! Looks like it’s going to be an amazing season! I am definitely a fan of Casey and Dawson. I was actually never a fan of Hallie (sp?). If you look at her behavior, she jerked Matt around all the time. Dawson has been nothing but a true friend to him.

13. Leo says:

Love the way they planted seeds for future plots. Hope Clark is not the bad guy. Love the chopping house arc And Andy’s wife’s storyline caught me by surprise. Every season-opener needs to learn from this show.

14. tp says:

I loved the opener! I love me some Severide and Casey! The story arcs look promising.

15. Kate says:

Really action packed season opener with some good threads planted in there to play out over the season. I didn’t realize how much I’d missed these guys until I saw them again. Welcome back Chicago Fire!

16. Olive says:

I love Michelle Forbes and I’m glad she’s on board.

17. Shannon says:

On tonight’s episode…we’ve ride went to visit the firefighter that is setting the fires…why was he fired or let go I can’t remember!!!

• Hallie says:

I believe it was when mills was trying to get in squad severie was overly nice to mills and he didn’t like that so they started hazing him and went to far and put dog food in his food. It then went to the captain who transfered him out.

On another note what was the point of renee it seems making her pg was a really bad plot point not sure if it was to end the baby s/l or to put a rift between severine/shay but since the end had them moving back in together and she made a point of saying it is a three bedroom have ti wonder if this s/l usn’t over. It seemed really quick and the wat she said they might get another rm mate made think this srory isn’t over very cobfusing