Chicago Fire Recap: A House in Danger

Get More: Premieres, Recaps

Chicago Fire Season 2 RecapWell, that’s one way to deal with losing your baby mama to another show.

Tuesday’s Chicago Fire Season 2 premiere planted some tantalizing seeds about how it possibly plans to resolve Severide’s surprise impending fatherhood and tried to squash the sparks on a would-be couple.

Read on for the episode’s highlights.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Chicago Fire and 44 Other Returning Faves

BABY DRAMA | Shay doesn’t think the math on Renée’s due date adds up, but Severide – who’s moving in with his preggers ex – is having none of his pal’s doubts, and storms off during their lunch. Still, the paternity issue is clearly on his mind because he spends most of the episode worried about either that or the arsonist who’s targeting him. (Who is this person, and why does he have it out for Severide? Is it because he’s hunkier?) Unfortunately, Renée is kicking ass on Person of Interest visiting her parents, and he doesn’t want to get into the delicate matter over the phone, he tells Shay.

SEXUAL TENSION | Casey’s back on the job and feeling renewed after taking a trip to Dawson’s dad’s favorite spot. Although Gabby tells him she’s OK being there for him as a friend, you just know these two are lying to themselves, especially when a dangerous fire endangers them both. The look of relief on their faces when they see each other in safety says it all.

RELATED | Fall TV 2013: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

THE WORKPLACE SHUFFLE | The city’s new consultant Gail McLeod (played by Michelle Forbes) is reining in expenditures, which means Firehouse 51 is on the chopping block. Chief Boden warns his staff that it’s time to stop their side trips on the truck to get ice cream. It also means one house has already been shut down and some of their men, like Clarke, have been transferred to 51. Gail takes this opportunity to recruit Clark as a spy to tell her what’s really going on there. (And if he refuses? Well, he’s out of a job.) Considering Casey took the firetruck to visit his buddy Andy’s widow Heather at happy hour and she got arrested for drunk driving, Clark is going to have a lot to talk about. (Did all of this transferee’s knowledge of arsonist tools and the eager way he introduced himself to Severide make you wonder if he’s the criminal?)

COP OUT | Is Mills still contemplating a move to Chicago PD? Antonio tells him he saw his application, which he’ll keep to himself, and that he’d make a great cop.

THIS AND THAT | Herrmann and Dawson send Cruz to spy on Molly’s competition, Game Day, and the news is not good: The fancy bar down the street is awesome. But does it have Jesse Lee Soffer from Chicago PD as a patron? … Mouch decides to run for Union president.

Chicago Fire fans, what did you think of the premiere’s dramatic turns? Before you hit the comments with your thoughts, grade the episode below!

Tags: ,

Comments (26)

• wait. i thought the Captain advised Mills that one of the new guys was going on squad so Mills wouldn’t be upset. i don’t think Mills was promoted. that’s why he was staring at Clark with such venom. Clark took his squad spot. did i misread/mishear that?

Comment by tornado – September 24, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I thought too! #Confused

Comment by Julio – September 24, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was hard to hear on the screener. Upon rewatch, you are correct — the new firefighter is joining rescue squad. Thanks!

Comment by Vlada Gelman – September 24, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was a great season opener. Severide – Arsonist storyline is good!

Comment by Julio – September 24, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reining in, not “reigning in.”

Comment by Martoukian – September 24, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great opener. I do think they need to revise the Mills getting into squad because boden clearly said the new guy (most likely Severides arsonist) is squad. The heat that came from that Casey/Dawson stare was not from the fire! Loved it

Comment by Beth – September 24, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm…Mills did NOT get a promotion to rescue squad. Boden informed Mills at the end of last season that he did not make squad. Regardless, great season premiere.

Comment by Rae – September 24, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, love, loved it! They are making us think that one of the new guys is in on the fires. Why make himself look guilty? I think the b*tch from last season hired someone to start them. She’s CRAZY! People could die. Or maybe it’s the REAL father of the baby?? The due date is just shy of 3 weeks off. Could the Dr. be that far off?? Or did the writers make that up because Momma is moving to Persons Of Interest?? Probably.

Comment by Nancy – September 25, 2013 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t understand the math. If the last time the had sex was in Feb and the baby is due around Thanksgiving. That’s about right. Not the beginning of Nov. A woman is pregnant for 40 weeks. Anything after 38 is considered full term. How did Shay get beginning of Feb? I know it will end up not being his baby for the storyline but still…

Comment by tp – September 25, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for recapping. Not a fan of Dawson and Casey.

Comment by Chablis – September 25, 2013 03:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED the premiere last night and I’m so glad you guys are doing recaps now. I can’t wait to see what happens next! =)

Comment by HeatherC – September 25, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it awesome as always, I’m a big fan of Casey & Dawson they need to get together already, with that much heat coming through the screen, good story going with Severide too, he’s had so many enemies in the past the arsonist could be anybody!!!

Comment by Bren – September 25, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see this heat you speak of :-) I find Dawson desperate and if she and Casey get together it will just bring him down. I wish the show would just move on past this ridiculous wannabe love story.

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 25, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • she’s desperate because he’s playing hot and cold with her and she’s wanted him from the start.

Comment by Shaun – September 25, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Given the timeline of the show she’s been pining for him for over a years……Time to sh*t or get off the pot as they say……desperate. Of course they will eventually get together and then fall apart, then get back together and so on and so on……this kind of crap drags a show down and takes time away from better story lines. I love CF but I can see this coming and I’m tired of it already. Vampire Diaries anyone?!?! We’re going into S5 and they’re still giving us the stupid Elena/Damon/Stefan triangle crap.

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 25, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is the actor playing Clark?

Comment by Jess – September 25, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thats what I want to know. I swear ive seen him somewhere!

Comment by Jenna – September 25, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jeff Hephner – he’s a character actor on many shows. He’s also been a regular on Hellcats, Boss, King & Maxwell. Mercy, Easy Money and the OC.

Comment by rockinrobin – September 26, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Count me in as someone who is looking forward to Dawson and Casey! Loved the premiere!

Comment by Michelle – September 25, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved this episode start to finish! Looks like it’s going to be an amazing season! I am definitely a fan of Casey and Dawson. I was actually never a fan of Hallie (sp?). If you look at her behavior, she jerked Matt around all the time. Dawson has been nothing but a true friend to him.

Comment by Kel507 – September 25, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the way they planted seeds for future plots. Hope Clark is not the bad guy. Love the chopping house arc And Andy’s wife’s storyline caught me by surprise. Every season-opener needs to learn from this show.

Comment by Leo – September 25, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the opener! I love me some Severide and Casey! The story arcs look promising.

Comment by tp – September 25, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really action packed season opener with some good threads planted in there to play out over the season. I didn’t realize how much I’d missed these guys until I saw them again. Welcome back Chicago Fire!

Comment by Kate – September 25, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Michelle Forbes and I’m glad she’s on board.

Comment by Olive – September 25, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On tonight’s episode…we’ve ride went to visit the firefighter that is setting the fires…why was he fired or let go I can’t remember!!!

Comment by Shannon – October 1, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe it was when mills was trying to get in squad severie was overly nice to mills and he didn’t like that so they started hazing him and went to far and put dog food in his food. It then went to the captain who transfered him out.

On another note what was the point of renee it seems making her pg was a really bad plot point not sure if it was to end the baby s/l or to put a rift between severine/shay but since the end had them moving back in together and she made a point of saying it is a three bedroom have ti wonder if this s/l usn’t over. It seemed really quick and the wat she said they might get another rm mate made think this srory isn’t over very cobfusing

Comment by Hallie – October 1, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post