Army Wives Cancelled, Lifetime Prepping Farewell Retrospective for 2014

army wives cancelledLifetime is deploying Army Wives to the TV graveyard.

The cabler has cancelled its longest-running series, which wrapped its seventh (and now-final) season in June.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

A two-hour retrospective special featuring the show’s cast will air early next year.

“There is no denying how special Army Wives has been to both Lifetime and the television landscape,” Lifetime’s Exec VP and General Manager Rob Sharenow said in a statement. “By taking on a very relevant and timely issue, it has brilliantly captured the challenges our military families endure and the bravery they and their loved ones display while serving our country.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

“We also want to thank Army Wives’ passionate legion of fans,” he added, “and everyone involved with the series: ABC Studios, Mark Gordon and Jeff Melvoin, Tanya Biank, every single cast member, as well as the crew and community of Charleston, South Carolina.”

Deposit your eulogies in the comments, and while you’re there riddle me this: Was Claudia Joy’s death the final nail in the show’s coffin?

1. Kathie says:

Please someone start a petition to lifetime demanding they bring army wives back.

2. Joan Hanley says:

This was one of the few shows that I watched faithfully from the beginning. Army Wives was a good down to earth show that was about families, relationships, friends and how they all supported and cared for one another. I am very disappointed that this show isn’t coming back but shows with violence, rape, murder and bloodshed are being left on. I wish you would listen to the fans and leave this show on the air where it belongs!

3. Pam says:

I think it is B.S. that you are not renewing Army Wives… wont watch Lifetime again!!!

4. kristee newman says:

Absolutely devastating news to me! I’m not an Army Wife but I really based my sunday nights around this show and my whole family knew that! I think this was a terrible decision and I do not understand this at all… I know of soooooo many viewers, this show brought tears to my eyes every week, and there were soooooo many unfinished stories. My only question, HOW COULD THEY???

5. Phyllis says:

And Lifetime is ending this show tonight with a non-ending.. The two-hour retrospective provides a look back at the program, featuring interviews with cast members, executive producers and real-life military wives. Very disappointing.

6. Patti says:

I’m sad to see a show like this be terminated ~ but I do agree with the statement above that they got so far away from what made the show good at the beginning. This is an important subject matter. It’s too bad it couldn’t have been taken a little more seriously. I’m not sure if all the actors were written off or they saw the hook coming and left. None-the-less, I enjoyed the show and am sorry it couldn’t have been saved.

7. Monika says:

Bring it back!

8. paige says:

Why are theybcancelling a good movie.i will really miss this show alot . Hope they can bring it back next year maybe . The best sence on army wivies is when all the ceatures meet for the first time . GOOD BYE ARMY WIVES WE WILL ALL MISS THIS SHOW ALOT . what are we all going to do with out this show. FAREWELL …..

9. gloria says:

please bring army wives back

10. paige says:

I just cried when I heard the bad news. Wish it was back on already. There will never be a great show like army wives was

11. Jennifer cox says:

Plz bring back Arm Wives we need the show its my all time favorate n everyone i know loves the show plz

12. Ester King says:

As a veteran of the US Army, I connected with this series and looked forward to watching it each week. This was my favorite show because I loved my tour in the military and this show allowed me to look back and remember the good times that I experienced while serving. I am going to miss army wives and I wish that the producers would reconsider cancelling it out. This show has many fans and I bet that the majority of them are veterans missing the military. Dr. Ester King- formerly, SSG Ester King

13. Yolanda says:

Very sad to hear army wives is coming to an end. I was and still am a fan. I have seen army wives since the first episode and haven’t missed one. I just finished watching it from beginning to end on Netflix. That was when I realized it has been a while since a new episode came on so i decided to Google and see what was happening. This show, helped me in so many ways during my husband’s deployment. 8 month deployment on a submarine working for the Navy. Please reconsider about canceling the show.

14. Annae says:

Why do characters always have to leave, actors move on. Stay for the fans, us, we, you owe it to us, for loving you always…..can you hear me !!!!!!! Making me cry. Annae’

15. Lois Taylor says:

Come on what are you waiting for. Bring army wives back. I guarantee the ratings will hit the roof. Hurry before people lose interest. Please do it now not a year or more down the road. PLEASE!!!!

16. jeana says:

Im really upset that they canceled the show. I deff think there should be a season 8 and beyond.PLEASE bring it back.

17. J. Sigrist says:

I’m also really disappointed that Army Wives was cancelled. I watched it faithfully every week. It was a breath of fresh air to watch something that was not a reality show. Bring back Army Wives or please, another network pick it up!

18. Kay says:

Shocked, saddened to hear that Army Wives was cancelled. Get a good thing going and then put some junk in it’s place. Best show that Lifetime ever presented.

19. Gotta question. Why introduce a whole new characters and get in every Sunday with something knew and leave us hanging with last last season and now don’t return.. But y’all will put garbage in for people to watch. Don’t understand when everyone loved army wives

20. Please bring back army wives that is the best show out there and I watch it every Sunday I am a huge fan so please please please bring it back!!

21. Carol says:

Please! Please! Bring this show back. I never waste my time protesting show cancellations but I watched this series from day one and think Lifetime is making a huge mistake canceling it. Great show! Kept all those men and women that make sacrifices for country front and center to remind those of us not in the military what Heros they truly are! Please reconsider this decision!

22. Stacey says:

Big mistake! Best show lifetime has had or will have.no matter how crappy of a week i may have had i knew i could sit down with the families of army wives and feel better at the end of that hour.BIG MISTAKE

23. Stephanie says:

Someone mentioned boycotting Lifetime. That will be easy for me to do, as most of Lifetime’s shows male-bash. Army Wives was one of the few I’ve ever seen Lifetime create which actually portrayed men in a positive thus more realistic light. That was great. Thank you Lifetime for putting more truth in there about men. Some other network please make a similar show (maybe covering a different branch of the military?), except avoid having “wives” in the titles, to make it that much more attractive to both genders as viewers. Our society needs more examples on TV of solid, healthy relationships, like this show portrayed. Loved it.

24. Jo says:

Please bring it back… it was one of the best shows on TV. It was almost real…n u took it off. So sad u cancelled a terrific show…

25. MzKingZ says:

I did love this show so. I’m not an ‘ army wife’ but I am an engineering designer of naval aircraft carriers. This show grew on me so fast years ago and I have not been able to let it go since….so sorry to see it go and see shows like ‘Dance Moms’ and stupid ‘wife swap’ stay. Anyone else considering boycotting LIFETIME???

26. Linda Collins says:

So many respondents to the cancellation of ARMY WIVES are women, but my husband LOVED the show as did I. Moments of each episode brought us to tears. It was a wholesome, very REAL show, and that kind of show is rare these days. We have no military family members but we are patriotic senior citizens who wantto see television shows that promote love of country and respect and gratitude for those who serve the United States. If the cancellation of ARMY WIVES was all about money ……..well, all I can say is “shame on you”! L.C.

• tennistt@comcast.net says:

Men love this show too and looked forward to it whether in the military or not. Get rid of Army Wives and keep all theae reality shows showing and encouraging bad behavior? What’s wrong with this picture?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

TVLine wrote:

> a:hover { color: red; } a { text-decoration: none; color: #0088cc; } a.primaryactionlink:link, a.primaryactionlink:visited { background-color: #2585B2; color: #fff; } a.primaryactionlink:hover, a.primaryactionlink:active { background-color: #11729E !important; color: #fff !important; } /* @media only screen and (max-device-width: 480px) { .post { min-width: 700px !important; } } */ WordPress.com Linda Collins commented: “So many respondents to the cancellation of ARMY WIVES are women, but my husband LOVED the show as did I. Moments of each episode brought us to tears. It was a wholesome, very REAL show, and that kind of show is rare these days. We have no military fam”

27. nysha says:

I hate the show is over it helped me with the loss of my mom although she not in the army i lost her to cancer. And see how they was able to deal with their lost and find strength to keep moving. It helped me do the same i hate it ended.

28. Taylor says:

I love army wifes! Its the one show I truely injoy watching.. I’ve had a lot of struggles in my life and I felt from watching this show its help me overcome. So please don’t cancel it!

• Annae says:

it is already canceled, the finale was last month, March; with everyone,in it, even the dead ones. Was great finale.

29. mary says:

I enjoyed watching army wifes me and my daughter. I know the ending was not what i was exspecting, wish you could continue the show. People might not have watched it the night that it was airing but people do you watch the seasons once they come out ,it was a great family show .

30. sherri says:

I think if they are going to cancel the show they should do it properly. I’m very disappointed with the cliff hanger they left on the last show, at least make another season and make it the final one but with a good ending to everyone’s life. Leaving it the way it is seems unprofessional and angering a lot of people because we grew with the show loving each character. Now i don’t know if this is going to make any of a difference but please reconsider finishing the season with 8 seasons and a good plot with a great ending.

31. sherri says:

one last thing, i starting watching this show because i was married to a guy in the air force, i moved away the whole 9 yards. It wasn’t anything good and nothing good came out of the relationship and it ended badly but the friends i made and the sadness i went through reminds me of this show. I’m sure a lot of people have experienced the same being involved with the military so even though you canceled the show please reconsider starting it back up for the fans that truly love this show.

32. Maggie says:

It’s a shame you’re canceling. Such good stories and gave me a better understanding of what army families endure. No sissy acts. Great acting. Will miss the show. Hope someone picks it up.

33. Yolanda says:

Please bring Army Wives back i love that show watched it from beginning to end love it bring it back.bring it back,bring it back

34. karen dunson-reggio says:

I grew up in a military family, from 50yrs back. This as a young girl is no easy task!!! This was a WONDERFUL show that had everything REAL. Taking this away is a huge lose to TV. I myself & I can speak for all the females in my family, we will truly MISS this show. We all watched faithfully everyweek for 7yrs. You all will me missed!!!!

35. sophie says:

we need a new episodes season 8 soon I’m so used to watching these episodes now that is over by five six o’clock my time I have nothing to do and going crazyClaudia Joy Holden was the death of me when her passing came but also I felt better for her memorial with a reflection pool awesome episode please continue on don’t give up a lot of people are really devoted to the show thank you Sophie

36. sophie says:

me again please don’t give upI think we can all come together and safe bring back ,army wives bring back season 8 this show really changed my life and I don’t know how I will cope without it I’ve been through so much struggle in my life and army wives is what made me hold on my favorite characters is Claudia Joy Holden which inspired me so much and Denise Sherwood which made me realize being who you are is what brings out the best you and I am NOT alone when I say please give us a season 8

37. Evelyn roig says:

I can believe this is happening, I was willing for that 8th season and I’m really upset with this cancellation. It was a great show, very upset. I will miss them all. Should reconsider

38. Mary Lou Reiter says:

My husband and I and sister and her husband REALLY MISS ARMY WIVES! PLEASE bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. army wives says:

Why would they end Army Wives like they did so open ended if they knew they weren’t bringing it back? It left all of us faithful viewers hanging and now we will never get a real finale. I am so disappointed this show has been canceled and I agree with all of you about the crap that is on television today… army wives was like a light in the television industry; it was something you could watch that was clean and meaningful to real life. Please bring it back Lifetime!

40. shaunee says:

Took me a week to get caught upon all 7 seasons of army wives me and my children really like this show when my 9 year old twins and 6 year old daughter engage into the show and get excited to see what happens next brings a smile knowing they like the show better than disney or nick were disappointed to hear its been cancelled id like the show to continue and put back on lifetime to see what happens between the new cast bring it back please i enjoy the family time we have watching the show together

41. Aretha Taylor says:

I’m a huge fan of Army wives. I’ve been a supporter of the show from
    The beginning. Unlike many of the shows on TV, army wives was real. I’m sick and tired of reality TV, I’ve no interest in them. I looked forward to a real show, with real people having real problems. I did however sense that the show was coming to its final ending because the original cast members were being replaced. I will miss “Army wives”

42. If the character Claudia Joy had been the only departure, in might have been okay. I know the debate about keeping the series as close to reality must have been difficult for the network writers.But moving core characters off one by one while expecting viewers to accept anyone that comes along is difficult. It was like watching a patient you know is dying and when it finally comes you feel a certain level of relief. It all just felt crippled at the end.

43. Barbara says:

Yes, Claudia Joy’s death was the final nail in the coffin for this series.
    The show was never top rate after the original cast left.

44. Alexandra says:

I don’t think army wives should be canceled as well it also appeals to younger audiences. Me being 22 an a college live the show in fact I went to see when the next season premiered an an now a little disappointed. Please reconsider
    Alexandra

45. lynette says:

are you stupid or something how could have you cancelled it . it was an amazing show now its going to leave me hanging .
    army wives meams so much to me . you are so stupid person to cancel it

46. Colleen Flowers says:

ARMY wives was such a great show made my Sunday nite!

47. Colleen Flowers says:

Army wives was the show! I hope something can be done so it can come back. It made my Sunday!

48. Charlotte MCCURRY says:

I pray they reconsider and bring Army Wives back. I loved this show and I am very sad it will not be on this year.

49. Doreen Jensen says:

When the last episode ended all I thought was, “No, no, no… they can’t do this!” This was absolutely the best series I’ve ever watched. As a prior enlisted female soldier myself, this series absolutely captured my heart by portraying what military life truly is like. I cried, laughed, loved and deeply understood every character portrayed. Please bring Army Wives back!

50. Georgia Turner says:

I think it’s sad that good shows like ArmyWives and Against the wall get dumped , while crappy idiotic shows like dance moms are kept. The Lottery realy isn’t there enough tradgedy in tge world without adding that too? At least Army Wives and Against the wall were uplifting shows.