Army Wives Cancelled, Lifetime Prepping Farewell Retrospective for 2014

Get More: Cancellations

army wives cancelledLifetime is deploying Army Wives to the TV graveyard.

The cabler has cancelled its longest-running series, which wrapped its seventh (and now-final) season in June.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

A two-hour retrospective special featuring the show’s cast will air early next year.

“There is no denying how special Army Wives has been to both Lifetime and the television landscape,” Lifetime’s Exec VP and General Manager Rob Sharenow said in a statement. “By taking on a very relevant and timely issue, it has brilliantly captured the challenges our military families endure and the bravery they and their loved ones display while serving our country.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

“We also want to thank Army Wives’ passionate legion of fans,” he added, “and everyone involved with the series: ABC Studios, Mark Gordon and Jeff Melvoin, Tanya Biank, every single cast member, as well as the crew and community of Charleston, South Carolina.”

Deposit your eulogies in the comments, and while you’re there riddle me this: Was Claudia Joy’s death the final nail in the show’s coffin?

Comments (385)

• please bring army wives back ===all the other reality shows are horrible, please bring army wives back

Comment by carole Lee – January 16, 2014 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes i loved the show lifetime can put it back on so put it back i love army wife

Comment by debbie – January 17, 2014 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish that lifetime would reconsider cancelling army wives as a military wife myself it was a real comfort to see that there was a show out there that could relate with what we go through… Please bring it back

Comment by Cyndi – January 19, 2014 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think if you guys arent going to give all of us fans another season of army wives, you should just take lifetime off the air… Army wives was lifetime, without it alot of us fans have no reason to watch any longer.. PLZ BRING IT BACK

Comment by Nicholas – January 20, 2014 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also loved watching Army Wives….I do not have any loved ones in the military but Army Wives gave me an emotional bond to the families that do. I loved watching China Beach and that was cancelled years ago….I would rather watch shows real to life like these shows than all that stupid reality stuff they have on tv!

Comment by Debra – January 20, 2014 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t cancel Army Wives! I love that show along with the other people who have commented on this. It has made me think about the army more and what it must be like. The new cast isn’t bad. Give them a shot

Comment by Jade – January 21, 2014 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’ll, dang it…!!!! I just bought Season 7 DVD series and been watching the last couple weeks… Finished up last nite and googled to see if an 8 was going to come out… For some odd reason, I had this bleak feeling Season 7 was the End… Maybe due to all the characters change, coming and going… But, I was liking the new cast n characters….miss the old ones but the new ones brought a new balance…. Sad to say goodbye to Army Wives…. I have all the series in DVD…

Comment by Kathy lee Barr – January 22, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have followed Army Wives from its first season and have been completely devoted to watching every season. Being an army wife myself I find the show to be a great example of how much military families sacrifice and endure as well as the strength of friendships, sisterhoods, and brotherhoods that are formed among military families and service members. It is also nice to have a show that depics something family oriented and has more meaningful messages than a group of 20 something’s hooking up and getting wasted. Watching the show is an emotional rollercoaster, but never failed to leave a sense of comfort and excitement. The cast (both original and new) are fantastic and draw you in. I really hope the cancelation is reconsidered or that another network chooses to pick up the show. This show is loved by many and to end it forever would be a shame and major disappointment to fans, especially from the 7th season ended. You can not have a series finale end with a cliffhanger, as if the cancelation wasn’t bad enough. Please bring back Army Wives!

Comment by Alissa – January 23, 2014 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just found out they are canceling Army Wifes and I think that is terrble? What is wrong with Lifetime?I have been watch this show since Number 1 aired.
    Come on Lifetime get your head out of the sand and put if back on. You put the stupid shows that has been on for year and play them over and over again.

Comment by Pat – January 23, 2014 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree i am and army wife and i love this show even my husband watches it. i hated that some of the first charaters have left but that is what happens in the military. i love the new cast and they are just as funny as the last. gloria is amazing and denise is strong. holly is a girl just finding out who she is and is young and new to being away from her family and learning a new way of life. and Latasha and Maggie are the new roxi and pamela which is awesome. i love this show and i feel that it needs to return

Comment by jackie – January 23, 2014 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not happy about Army Wives not returning. Why is it that crappie shows are kept on the air and great shows are canceled. I hope Lifetime will reconsider airing Army Wives.

Comment by Gail – January 24, 2014 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love army wives and I am so sad it won’t be on anymore.It helps a lot of non army people too
    I would like to see the next group to come along

Comment by wendy – January 25, 2014 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s sux its a good tv show I loved it why can’t it stay on please please please keep it on most of the fans love it don’t take it off …

Comment by amanda – January 25, 2014 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring it back to regular tv programming as all of us don’t get LIFETIME ,was very upset that they did this!!!!! I’m a military wife & found it to be almost bang on!!!! PLEASE PLEASE RETHINK!!!!!!!
    Your’s truly ,A PROUD CANADIAN MILITARY WIFE :)

Comment by Jodi – January 25, 2014 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of all the shows to take off the air, Army Wives? Really?! I am really tired of all these reality shows that have no plot. In times of great economic depression, housewives that are draped in diamonds, gold and not a Honda or a Toyota in sight. Really?! Army wives? One show that tries to add tribute to our men and women that defend our country. Real people do not live in eight bedroom homes and wear 4 inch high heels to the grocery store. Remember, our youths are watching too…..just saying

Comment by Bonita Reid Brown – January 25, 2014 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish you would bring back army wives I never missed not one show there is so much junk on tv and when there is a show like this when it is real and makes people think what our men and women are out there going threw for us every day and their family’s are here going threw for us to be free it was the best show on tv please rethink and give it back to the people we are asking and begging you at lifetime to give it back and you should respect the army service men and women and their family’s also because we are asking you to respect them . THAT WAS A GREAT WAY THEY WERE BEING RESPECTED please give us back our ARMYWIVES

Comment by jean fabery – January 26, 2014 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLS BRING ARMY WIVES BACK!!! We all love that show!! Y’all just left us hanging.. so unfair… I wanna know what happens with Gloria… that was a really stupid decision to cut ARMY WIVES BRING IT BACK PLS…

Comment by Kandyce – January 28, 2014 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I used to enjoy Army Wives because it was a fairly realistic portrayal (not in all storylines) of military family life. However, the show started branching into all the political correctness agendas and pushing liberal view points. Up to that point, it had done a good job of not being political or biased towards any one agenda or viewpoint. Being a conservative and male, it is rare that I find a show on any of the “women networks” that I enjoyed. Well, Army Wives went the way of many of their shows and ruined it for me. Good riddance to it, and may it NOT return to the air.

Comment by Daryl Mosely – January 28, 2014 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IF YOU PPL AT LIFETIME CAN’T/WON’T PICK ARMY WIVES UP AGAIN THEN PLS SOMEONE OTHER TV NETWORK SHOULD… WE NEED THAT SHOW BACK. CUT A DIFFERENT SHOW THAT DOESN’T HAVE AS MANY LOYAL FANS AS ARMY WIVES OR ANY MEANING TO IT…

Comment by Kandyce – January 28, 2014 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watch army wife since it started n counld’nt wait till it started bk up!!! Please do not take it off!

Comment by Kay – January 28, 2014 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As an army wife of a retired Career army vet (Viet-Nam & Korea) I am really going to miss Army Wives. It really showed how we as a family lived. The old characters leaving and the new characters coming on “post” was exactly how I lived for twenty years. Telling my daughters that they were going to love the new post and new friends.I still have friends from back when and I have new friends from the many moves that we made. My daughters (Army Brats) loved the show also and are as sad as I am that the show has been cancelled. Please reconsider and bring it back. New or old cast members. Thank you.

Comment by Dorothy Sells – January 28, 2014 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please bring army wives back i love it sooooo much and….. i have to know who gloria choose

Comment by maggielinn – January 28, 2014 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a former military wife, Army Wives showed a reality f military life.
    the Marjory of people have no ideal what goes on when you are married to someone in the military. It was a great show.

Comment by Diana Cowden – January 30, 2014 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow!! Another great show that’s biting the dust. What a great military injustice. Come on fox, abc, cbs, nbc. Pick this show up. instant success. Super great writers, excellent and dynamic cast, and a realllll reality show that parallel the real life happenings of the wars in Iran and Afganistan, and what happens when the soldiers from the military come back home. Also would like the show coming home would also come back to tv. Great picker upper for the family’s of people whose loved ones come back home.

Comment by steven – January 30, 2014 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very sad…..there are not may tv dramas on that are true to life, and although not military, this gave me some insight into what our military families go through and a better appreciation. Please keep the show going! I realize the new cast may not be as popular, but I felt they were doing extremely well!

Comment by Ken – February 2, 2014 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What I’m really sad that army wives is not coming back on I been waiting for it to come back on

Comment by Heather – February 2, 2014 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please please please please Bring army wives back I love that show I’m really sad

Comment by Heather – February 2, 2014 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Army Wives. If anything give it an actually ending episode not just cut it off when things are juicy. BRING IT BACK

Comment by Danielle – February 4, 2014 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i came online to find out when the premeire was going to take place and I found that the show has been CANCELLED? are you guys crazy? I thought you guys were crazy when you took Drop Dead Diva off the air and I petioned for it to be put back on the air. I watched both shows religiously and now I find out this one is being cancelled. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. bring back the show

Comment by sonia kettering – February 5, 2014 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • storyline was great–little by little all the good stars were leaving-but when Claudia joy passed and here came brooke shields already the program was doomed

Comment by keikilani – February 6, 2014 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t be stupid give us back our wives cant u ppl read we dont want vampires we want whats real armywives we have our men and women over there and we repect them and we want armywives back

Comment by jean fabery – February 6, 2014 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I sign a petition to have this show back on please?! I spent 3 weeks on netflix watching all seven seasons and need some more! This show was so relatable, as i myself will become an army wife shortly. I cried so much as this show really touched my heart. Please have it back on!

Comment by Genesis – February 7, 2014 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! I just heard this news this week and couldn’t believe it. I’ve been watching this show since the beginning and although I loved the original characters I disliked that it lacked the diversity I want to see on TV. Then in comes the new cast to breathe new life into the Claudia Joy Show and I got excited for where this was going. Finally a Latina main character, and a young, hip nurchuring black mom and her great, dedicated husband. A new blended family dealing with issues and Denise is now the matriarch. I forgot to mention I’m not an Army Wife, I’m. Not even a wife and I loved this show because it made me aware of what another segment of the female population experiences and done so in a classy way. I can’t stand how these reality shows become a franchise and demoralize women. How could you cancel this show just as it was about to take off with new life?!?!

Comment by Suzette B – February 7, 2014 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Muito triste!!!! Chateada! Very upset! Me and my friends just love Army Wives! So realistic and now it’s gone?!! Please bring back!

Comment by Beatriz – February 8, 2014 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • man lifetime should hang them self for canceling army wives…why would they do that!?!? that show was bombing an awesome

Comment by chris deaver – February 9, 2014 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is so much that can still happen to this show. oh please oh please bring it back. If it is writing ideas you need I have tons. I would love to see this show go back on the air. #BeingBackArmyWives

Comment by Cara – February 9, 2014 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m retired Navy. I watched every episode of the Army wives along with my wife. I was a showed the real life of the military. I was at work it was on tvo and I watched it. Again I’ll says as many others have you guys don’t have a clue . You take the great shows off and keep the crap on nobody else watches, Somebody needs to Fired !

Comment by mike pittard – February 9, 2014 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve enjoyed watching army wives and am very sad that it has been canceled. I feel that you should reconsider it’s return. Change is inevitable but I think the new cast would have been a interesting concept.please reconsider!!!!!

Comment by charla strakal – February 11, 2014 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED this show. Please tell me they will wrap the storylines at least!

Comment by Naazneen – February 12, 2014 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so upset that they took the show off the air. My thing was to watch that nd the show comming. Home. I am a proud. Supporter of my troops and have had the chance to reach out to some uhace met on line nd had the chance to meet some in person. Therese soldiers. Out there putting they lives on the line for us and the show showed us what good bad happy and sad tines the military. Families. Go through. I even buy the seasons but missing three of them that u need to get. The show meant alot to me.

Comment by Anna Davis – February 23, 2014 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disappointed to hear that Army Wives has been cancelled. Previously, I watched lifetime 24/7, but lately there have not been any really good shows/movies on (In my opinion) this channel. Although my husband and I are not military, (I do have a military background) we enjoyed coming together and watching this show. I am saddened to hear the news of the cancellation. I don’t mind the plot/story to continuing without Claudia Joy, but don’t get me wrong…she was a great actress and brought a lot to Army Wives. I am unsure if my post means anything to any of you who made the decision to cancel the show, but if at all worth anything, please consider bringing it back!

Comment by Lynn – February 25, 2014 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That fraking sucks!
    I know! Lets all watch Wife Swap! Now that’s good wholesome programing that is relevant to everyone! Right?

Comment by oliviagriffin – February 26, 2014 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Army wives was a very thoughtful show. It told very relatable stories. I wish lifetime would reconsider the cancellation. The show was a good alternative to reality shows. I am very disappointed in the decision.

Comment by D Nelson – February 28, 2014 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My wife and I watched every show every season…my house was even in the show on the last episode of the first season. Lifetime you are making a huge mistake it was a great show. But I guess we all just need to get used to watching garbage like honey boo boo…what a crock!!!

Comment by Charlie S. – March 2, 2014 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree!!!!

Comment by leah – March 12, 2014 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very disappointing news! I figured it was not going to be back on, since thier were no previews this summer. I agree with everyone, it was a great Sunday night show. My husband who is also in the military loved the show as well, and it’s not easy getting him to love something I love especially when it comes to girlie shows as he calls them. I and obviously many others feel this was a great show and should without a doubt not be cancelled! If it has to come to an end, it definitely deserves a better ending than what it was given! Even the dedicated viewers deserve to have that much!!! This is a shame as someone said earlier I feel it keeps the rest of us in check with the military personnel who continues to put themselves in harms way, and gives us a touch of what the families go thru while their loved one is gone. Like I said earlier, my husband is in the military, and I have been told before that while our loved ones are serving our country, it’s best that we don’t complain to them while they are wherever they may go, because they need to keep their heads clear and stay focused…although I don’t disagree with that, but I also find it very hard because while my husband is gone who is also my best friend the person I go to any other time…I can’t now….this is were I found the show to be up lifting because of the support that they gave one another. It’s funny because my husband and I would talk about the show if he missed it or I missed it like we actually knew the actors, that’s how much of a part of our life it was. It will be a true mistake for it not to come back!

Comment by Christina – March 9, 2014 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Army wives was a good show but I think Lifetime made a good decision in canceling the show when it did. So many times network continues show that need canceling and they become so mundane. I think this so was canceled when before it became like most network shows. I think once characters are being killed on shows not due to them actual dying its time to look at canceling the show. I hope lifetime replaces army wives with a series just as good that can continue to touch so many people and shine a light on topics of importance as Army Wives.

Comment by Lillie Finley – March 9, 2014 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are you cancelling this program, when it was one of your top shows? Does not make sense to me. It seems like when a program is really good, someone cancels it so that more smut and crotch-grabbing shows can be aired.

Comment by D – March 9, 2014 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!!! I was just checking to see when “Army Wives” is returning, come to find out it is cancelled! I am soooo sad!!!! I’ve been watching sins day one and I can so much relate to all the “Wives” and other Military family members because I too was an “Army Wife for 17 years. I have pinned my( back then still husbands) promotions on his collar. I have missed him every second of the day afraid of the doorbell or the phone ringing with the bad news.
    Watching this show was so real for me because I can relate to all the pains and worries, but also to the feeling of belonging, making friends for ever in some cases. Giving each other the strengths to go through. The producers of this show had created one of the best realities on TV there is to watch, and with a brilliant cast that cannot be replaced nor just been cancelled.
    Please consider your decision! there are millions of fans just like me to ask you for the show to continue!!

Comment by Silvia – March 9, 2014 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Royaly pissed about it ending

Comment by R – March 9, 2014 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE THE SHOW I LOVE IT SO MUCH I STILL WATCH IT EVERY WEEK per DVD but MY WISH IS STILL TO WATCH IT ON T.V. ALSO!!!!! I haven’t gotten season 5 or 7 not sure how they got about without me nabbing them but I HOPE YOU ALSO PUT THE 3 HOUR SPECIAL ON with Season 7 than!!! BUT DAMN ANOTHER GREAT SHOW LEAVING :-( Yes I think having CJ (Kim) Leave the show was a mistake she was the bond that made it seem like no matter what happen who had to go or who needed help she & her loyal friends together or apart bonded together to make it happen NO MATTER what & that happens in the Armed Forces but ALSO IN REAL LIFE TRUE FRIENDSHIP THAT BONDS YOU TO HELP & SURVIVE THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!! GOING TO MISS IT SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Carol – March 11, 2014 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am soo upset that they atr not bringing back army wives! I have never missed a show and I come from a military family who loves this show! Guess I have no other reason to watch lifetime!

Comment by leah – March 12, 2014 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe my favorite show has been cancelled. I’m so disappointed. Please bring it back!!!

Comment by Ro – March 14, 2014 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post