Army Wives Cancelled, Lifetime Prepping Farewell Retrospective for 2014

Get More: Cancellations

army wives cancelledLifetime is deploying Army Wives to the TV graveyard.

The cabler has cancelled its longest-running series, which wrapped its seventh (and now-final) season in June.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

A two-hour retrospective special featuring the show’s cast will air early next year.

“There is no denying how special Army Wives has been to both Lifetime and the television landscape,” Lifetime’s Exec VP and General Manager Rob Sharenow said in a statement. “By taking on a very relevant and timely issue, it has brilliantly captured the challenges our military families endure and the bravery they and their loved ones display while serving our country.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

“We also want to thank Army Wives’ passionate legion of fans,” he added, “and everyone involved with the series: ABC Studios, Mark Gordon and Jeff Melvoin, Tanya Biank, every single cast member, as well as the crew and community of Charleston, South Carolina.”

Deposit your eulogies in the comments, and while you’re there riddle me this: Was Claudia Joy’s death the final nail in the show’s coffin?

Comments (385)

• I can’t believe you would Cancel a Great Show like Army Wives! Its rediculously stupid! I loved watching that show loved the actors and actresses. Made me cry and laugh made me think of all our troops who fight for our country how some come back in the right mind and some have trouble coping. How families live on base and how they cope too. Its a Great Totally Awesome show and should continue!!

Comment by Amber – December 8, 2013 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing on tv worth watching as it is honest, real, clean, moving and engaging. What a shame. Lifetime has waste of time like Dance moms on…and other shows that encourage negative behavior and remove the good and healthy. Shame on you Lifetime!

Comment by Carmen – December 9, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that soldiers and their families come and go. However this is a television program and with all the main characters gone the story was not as exciting. I for one think that army wives ended when they killed off Claudia Joy. I still watch the series on Netflix all the way up to Claudia Joys funeral

Comment by Kat g – December 9, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • L Can’t believe Army Wives is cancelled and witches are staying. Lifetime, you screwed up. Not only are you removing one of the best shows ever, you are keeping shows about witches, abusive dance instructors, selfish parents, and trashy servants. If this is what you consider tv worth what the Lifetime brand is representing, then you have lost touch with your audience. You might need to rethink who your primary viewers are.

Comment by jerome – December 9, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Army Wives and watched it every every Sunday night. I felt it was very realistic. Peoples lives change unexpected and expected. Army Wives dealt with that. I was shocked you took it off the air. I am disappointed you don’t take your viewers likes more seriously. Since you took Army Wives off the air there is nothing left to watch on your Lifetime Channel. I too dislike reality shows and some of the stuff that is now shown. Lifetime used to be one of my favorite channels, I now have another favorite channel.

Comment by Ramona – December 13, 2013 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know I can believe that it has been cancelled, because I really liked Army Wives. It figures that you guys would get rid of the ONLY show on your network I liked, but meanwhile keep crap shows like Dance Moms and Project Runway on the air. If those shows are really what you think we want to watch or if they are shows the majority watch, its no wonder most people I know don’t watch television anymore. I know our comments will not change anything, but its nice to vent just in case.

Comment by Vi – December 15, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so dissapointed Army Wives has been cancelled. I’ve read through most of the comments and…… I have to say that the changes and the introduction of the new characters…… Its all so very representative of real military life! People get orders…. They move on new families come in. You make new friends….. Change….. Sadly people die. Kids grow up and start their lives…. This show represented all that. I thought in the earlier seasons when the main characters got to stay year after year how odd that was…… If they had started moving characters out and new in a little earlier and not all at once it woukd have worked better for the non military viewers I think. I loved this show. I’m so very sad it will not be returning. I really don’t watch much else on lifetime other than its movies but I have to say I’m dissapointed in the network for the cancellation because I think it really did provide a relevant representation of a way of life that our military families face. Yes it stretched the lines a bit but it was something that could NE related to that is no where else on TV. I do hope another network will consider picking it up because it’s a great show. There was alot left unknown and stories to continue….

Comment by Amy – December 15, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TV execs: You once again disappoint with the cancellation of a decent, inspirational and wholesome show; while you simultaneously insult our intelligence with the garbage you renew. Please reconsider, and bring back Army Wives.

Comment by Phyllis – December 15, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry to see Army Wives go. My Grand daughters watched it with me. While it brought up lots of questions it also gave a glimps of war. As for Claudia Joy, I hated that they killed her off but I hated it more that Trevor and Roxie left the show.

Comment by Lori Simmons – December 16, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Army wives was my favorite show. I dont watch anything on lifetime anymore. I hope another network brings it back. Very sad for all the cast members that lost their job!

Comment by Sherida – December 16, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Army Wives from the beginning. Being an army wife myself I could relate to EVERY aspect of the show. I connected with the characters, I was sad and felt hurt when they did. I cried, and laughed, an felt so much hope for the return of my deployed husband. It got me through deployment, and helped me deal with issues that all military members and families face daily. I am VERY sad to see it go and I request highly that it be brought back. I said in the beginning that if the original people were cut out and new ones brought in I wouldn’t watch it. That’s when I was a new army wife. It became just as good with new story lines, and that’s Army life for ya. People come and go all the time, so this was an accurate and entertaining portrayal. I admit that I was very sad about Claudia Joy, but it was still a great show I was looking forward to watching. There aren’t any shows like this!

Comment by Kacey – December 16, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Army Wives is the best show out there so why cancel?? I will not be watching Life Time anymore since you do not air what fans want to see. Really stupid move.

Comment by Reta Brown – December 19, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just found out that Army Wives will not be returning for an 8th season and I am very disappointed. I have watched this show every season and was looking forward to seeing the next season come out. I have gotten to know every character each season as if I was part of their family and think it is a great show. I think it is very disappointing for LIfetime to cancel it. Please think about all the fans out there and bring Army Wives back to us!!!

Comment by Crystal – December 22, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shields…Really? What were they thinking? Wrong kind of look and character to pair with Michael Holden. The show lost too many characters too fast. I felt like I was acturally losing my own friends!

Comment by karen – December 23, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After Jeopardy…there is now no need for me to even own a television set!

Comment by karen – December 23, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they are not coming out with another season

Comment by Linda – December 24, 2013 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really shocked that you are taking this off the air. I have watched from the first show. I guess now lifetime will have more time to run their movies over and over and over again!!! Even more now!!! You are going to loose a lot of viewers. I hardly watch Lifetime anymore because it is all run to death.

Comment by Lyn – December 25, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love army wives and I’ve been waiting for a new season and to find out that they are cancelling it which is heart breaking. This is the only reason why I watch Lifetime is because of Army Wives since its getting cancelled I want be watching lifetime anymore. Going to miss army wives and wish that you would bring it back.

Comment by Kimberly – December 26, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad to hear that this show was cancelled…I agree with most of the above comments from other faithful viewers….I was looking forward to see it again…..miss it every Sunday on Lifetime….

Comment by Maria – December 27, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have just found out that army wives has cancelled series 8 can not believe a network would cancel such a great show especially when there is so much trashy things now on TV please reconsider as it’s such a great show and loving the new cast members give them a chance thks

Comment by Elizabeth Anderson – December 27, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring Army Wives I love this show and I’m always watching it on the computer and now I have all the dvds. Again Please bring Army Wives BACK

Comment by Kay Christopher – December 28, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant believe a really good series comes on and they boot it off to make room for what more husbands cheating or wifes or more sexual movies then a real good series of what women want I thought lifetime was a women channel not run by a man I cant believe for secound women choose to boot this series so thank u lifetime for taking the best show what women enjoyed off to make more room for the same ol garbage we watch everyday the same story lines u need to bring it back u see all the fans I know for sure the ratings werent low by any means

Comment by erika – December 28, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the show from the beginning up to the season 6. It was a great show up to that point. They had to start bringing in political correctness. The lesbian couple was not necessary. The issue with the HIV child was something else I quickly tired of. With the leaving of the regular cast (which happens with the real life military), the show really went down the toilet. The replacement characters and actors were weak, irritating or just not interesting. I am glad that the show was cancelled before any more damage was done.

Comment by D Mosely – December 29, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sad they are not bringing this show back. It was my favoriteshows for many seasons..

Comment by missy – December 29, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show being cancelled really is upsetting.. it helped me get through rough times..

Comment by jay jones – December 29, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Army wives gave me a real sense of army life and families. Not being in nor being a part of a military family, I came to appreciate and respect all they go through on a daily basis. This show was so insightful and I am sorry to see it go.

Comment by Marianne Constan – December 30, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think when Claudia Joy was killed of it really changed the show. Would never be the same. With that said, it still has so much potential.. please bring it back. I am a real life army wife and i love this show! I am so disappointed to hear its over. Who ever made this decision.. rethink this.

Comment by Edwards – December 31, 2013 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not only a military wife, but a soldier as well. Yes, dual military. So going to miss this show. It was my one and only show to watch. It was unfortunate that “Claudia Joy” was killed, but death is a part of life. The show goes on! Believe this is one of the only few shows that showed some insight of what military life is REALLY like. People move all over the world, people die, people get injured, new people come into our lives. We love, we laugh and we share time together and then move on, it’s the military! Sometimes we stay in touch, sometimes (most of the time), we don’t. Hope you bring this show back for many more seasons! Any which way the show must go on, with or without “Army Wives!” Good luck producers!

Comment by Dawn – December 31, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any and everything good, is always taken away! Army Wives was on of the best shows out there along with nearly the best group of actors. I do not agree with the decision of taking Army Wives off air. I am an Army Wife myself, and it’s one of the only tv shows I was interested in and actually felt that I could relate to. Its just about the only thing I actually make time to sit down and watch. So, this could ultimately result in me canceling my direct tv!! Ive watched Army Wives from the first season. I own all the series of the movie, and I have the books. I feel as if the last season left so much hanging and with the new cast that bigger and better things can be done. Why kill the show? This is a bad decision, and you will be losing money. Nothing can top Army Wives! So please, bring the show back…
    Signed,
    an angry viewer.

Comment by kerri swan – January 3, 2014 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It took me a while to adjust to the new characters but I did anf I loved it just as much!! Can’t believe lifetime is ending the series like this. Won’t be tuning in to anything else thier network has to offer.

Comment by kenzie – January 3, 2014 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very disappointing. I was looking forward for all new challenges for next season my brother is in military and this helps me understand what him and his family have been thru not to mentioned others as well. Very heartbroken about this being cancellesd please reconsider, altought this was not a reality show in real life it is. I hope this shows returns soon. ; (

Comment by Valerie008 – January 4, 2014 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They never gave the new caat time to gel and work together. The death of claudia joy didnt hurt thw show, it actually let them vocus on the others. It xould peobably go at least 2 more seasons and wrap up all story lines. I with the others on reality shows sucking. For examplw the bachelor, the kardaahians, anerican idol, no one gives a crap about them. Networks need to learn to keep shows with substance. I also agree with boycotting lifetime until its brought back.

Comment by susie – January 4, 2014 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOW AND WHERE DO WE BOYCOTT?????? This was absolutely the BEST show on television!!!!

Comment by Jemima – January 4, 2014 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Army Wives, it was a reality based TV show but not reality TV (which is not worth watching)! The characters lives were intertwined and very much real. These women were supportive of each other and their families. It was what I looked forward to on Sunday evenings and I would stay up late to watch. Please bring it back!

Comment by Lisa W – January 5, 2014 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It shows that channel 45 has no class you leave all creapy stupid shows on and then you let go of a classy show such as army wives this show gives most people a glimpse of what some military families go through and the sacrifices they make it is a meaningful show you should be ashame of yourself for cancelling this show

Comment by kayla – January 5, 2014 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been watching Army Wives since the beginning. I cannot believe it has been killed. I am so angry ad upset. I expected the change of characters. I don’t think that anyone should have expected them to stay the same. It is the army life. People come and go every few years and others stay. It doesn’t mean that we don’t learn to like new characters. This is horrible! Please bring it back!

Comment by Real Army Wife, Jessica Longhurst – January 5, 2014 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After Roxy & Pamela left, the show wasn’t as good, but still liked it. One of the best out there. Will miss it for sure. Looked forward to the nights it was on. Even got my sister tuned in…

Comment by Kris – January 6, 2014 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live in Australia and we havent had Army Wives on our Tv for years, so I’be been getting the dvds from America, I love the show and so sad it’s been cancelled, I’m watching season 6 now part 1 and hubby got part 2 and season 7 for Christmas, I’ve cried so muchch with the girls you feel like part of the group, hope they continue with it or they do some episodes finishing it properly giving it the ending it truelly deserves

Comment by Cheryl Oakley – January 7, 2014 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They cancel this and keep that terrible show” Dance Moms: on….are you for real, all that lady does is yell at those young girls. That show reminds of that little girl many years ago that was in dance school and her mom use to put on
    so much makeup on her and that I believe she was murdered…that is what that show reminds me of…it is a sick show!!!!

Comment by Dale – January 7, 2014 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No NO NO……. Why?? You will never be able to replace this series with anything that could remotely come close the real live drama of Military Wives. This is a shame that this network has a rectical crainal inversion.

Comment by Retired E-9 Donny SMith – January 7, 2014 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad that you guys cancel the one good show that attracted alot of viewers! shows how much yall dont know. I wanna make a request that yall bring it back as well because it would be worth it. You cant just end a show and leave it hanging like that!! Its to good to end!

Comment by Kayla – January 8, 2014 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shows what this channel is coming to based on the fact of the stupid and unattractive shows that you guys are leaving on and taking such a good, family based, supportive show off. It is gonna cause you to lose viewers.

Comment by Kayla – January 8, 2014 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am in complete shock right now. My mouth hit the floor! Out of every show I have ever watched (and loved many) this is one I never thought would end the way it did. I can not believe it has been canceled! Season 7 is not a way to end it. I’ve been waiting impatiently for the next season to start. Then I come across this site and find this! I’m appalled! And very disappointed! At least make a Season 8 and make that a season finale. Realistically I think the show could last longer than 8 seasons but at least do one more. I have never missed one episode! Please being it back! Please!!!!!!

Comment by Jenna Guitar – January 8, 2014 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed I was looking forward to season 8 and have been with show since the beginning. It changed as people went but I was starting to get invested in the new characters. Now I will never know who Gloria picked! Please bring it back!

Comment by tam – January 9, 2014 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please put Army wives back on that was the best show i ever watched in a long time, im, so upset!1 it helped me in many ways because my husband is deployed, and sometimes it just reassures me that one way or another things will eventually be ok.. so Sad for real!

Comment by Amber – January 9, 2014 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so looked forward to Sunday nights to watch Army Wives, I am so sad that it will not be on anymore. It seemed so real, to what the lives of actual army family’s might deal with.. The best show on tv in my opinion… It was not just another “soap opera” .. it felt so real! With it canceled, it is like losing some very best & close friends

Comment by linda white – January 11, 2014 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please do not cancel Army Wives! It was one of my favorite shows to watch! Please consider NOT ending the series!

Comment by Chelsea – January 13, 2014 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I’ve been waiting thing that maybe Lifetime came to realize that they were wrong for cancelling Army Wife’s and put Army Wife’s back on, but guess what didn’t happen. You know I’m a former military wife and I could relate to that show so much, and like another post sometimes I cried and sometimes I would laugh. But it was such a good show. Please reconsider and think about what is happening in the world today especially military those family need connections and even though it was only a television show, it was a feel good show.

Comment by Nancy Eckhoff – January 13, 2014 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just read of the demise of “Army Wives”. It saddens me. I feel as though I’ve lost some dear friends. I’ve laughed and cried with the cast having been a fan since the beginning. Another one of my favorite shows was cancelled by Lifetime — “Against the Wall”. Was disappointed in that cancellation also. Hmmmmm. Maybe it’s time I cancel Lifetime that way they can’t disappoint me again!

Suze

Comment by Suzanne Wyner – January 14, 2014 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Army Wives is one of the best shows that I have ever watched. It is a shame to end such a great show, that shows how military life is. I will never understand why the networks take off great shows and leave on such junk. Bring back Army Wives.

Comment by JT – January 14, 2014 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post