Will You Add NBC's The Blacklist to Your List?

Get More: Premieres, Recaps

The BlacklistJames Spader (Boston Legal) is back — and he’s messing with FBI agents, chatting up terrorists and chewing up scenery. His character made the new NBC drama’s titular list and checked it twice, but is The Blacklist (which premiered Monday at 10/9c) naughty or nice?

The cat-and-mouse caper centers on Raymond Reddington (Spader), one of the FBI’s most wanted fugitives, and his relationship with neophyte FBI profiler Elizabeth Keen (played by Megan Boone, Blue Bloods). Raymond, a criminal mastermind with a penchant for causing havoc, turns himself in after years on the run, but refuses to speak with anyone other than Elizabeth.

He reveals that an old terrorist colleague plans on kidnapping an important American military figure’s daughter, leading Elizabeth and her FBI colleagues, played by the intense Harry Lennix (Dollhouse) and the dashing Diego Klattenhoff (Homeland), on a desperate and dangerous mission to protect the girl.

Heralded as one of the best new dramas this fall, the series indeed has its merits. Spader and Boone play off of each other extremely well; Boone’s believable intensity softens Spader’s occasionally hammy delivery.

The pilot sets up a bevy of mysteries right off the bat: Why does Raymond want to work with Elizabeth? Is he her father? Why is he turning himself in now? And, perhaps most intriguing of all, what is Elizabeth’s husband (Ryan Eggold, 90210) hiding? Like that of its fellow new Monday night drama Sleepy Hollow, however, the series’ pilot balances these various threads with aplomb — the hour never feels messy or disjointed.

We’re certainly curious to find out more about Raymond Reddington and his list of wanted criminals, especially if Spader can temper his performance. And we’d keep watching just to see Parminder Nagra (ER) in future episodes. (Although she does not appear in the pilot, Nagra is a series regular).

But enough about what we thought: What was your take on The Blacklist? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

Comments (151)

• Okay.. I didn’t think the lead girl could act very well but that twist at the end was good so I may stick around… We’ll see. Good to see Mike from Homeland. Always enjoyed him.

Comment by megan – September 23, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the exact same thing. Lead actress was kind of a let down. Her facial expressions were stoic at times. But I always give them the benefit of the doubt in a pilot episode.

Comment by Jay – September 24, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I will be watching Spader’s scenes, every week. I may fast forward her scenes, after the stabbing into the neck. I don’t appreciate the showing of nutso criminal justice employees, too bad they took that route.

Comment by prish – September 24, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think part of the problem with her is also the really BAD wig they gave her. I was so busy staring at that…I had to watch some parts twice to be sure I hadn’t missed anything. I am hoping the wig and the show improve, as i plan to keep watching.

Comment by jdbasset – September 24, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. The wig is so bad it is distracting. My husband is sick of me mentioning it.

Comment by J – November 2, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree about the wig, I cant enjoy the show for looking at the wig!

Comment by Cat – November 10, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. And she got so much screen time. She felt straight out of soap opera land. This gives me pause.

Comment by Renee – September 24, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same way. The lead actress is a huge let down! Megan Boone is not up to par with James Spader. She almost made me stop watching. Terrible!

Comment by Rebecca Powals – September 24, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The only thing that bothered me was her hair. That had to be a wig, right?

Comment by Rook – September 24, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you I KNEW it was a wig! But why??

Comment by Fern – September 25, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A lot of people are not up to James Spader! He needs a Denny Crane. She is just what she needs to be a Just out of the Academy FBI agent. Spader is brilliant in this role! I always wondered who else could have played Hannibal Lector. James Spader.

I just don’t get last night, is the show over. Are all the networks competing. Why are they killing off so many great characters. Reddingtons Body Guards were just becoming interesting.

Comment by Stanley Smith – November 26, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So many things were distracting – Megan Boone was so un-believable in her role, James Spader’s character was so smug and was clearly attempting to emulate Hannibal Lecter. Even specific lines were so similar to those in Silence of the Lambs – Megan’s upbringing, her ‘rookie’ status with the bureau, her uncanny ability to profile…..
      I checked out. Nothing new here for me :(

Comment by Alin – September 30, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. It will be a great show if the lead actress can improve her acting ability ASAP.

Comment by Starwalker – October 16, 2013 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it and will definitely be tuning in regularly. Well done.

Comment by Jackson – September 23, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I won’t be checking the next episode. The female lead isn’t that good and I don’t watch enough Spader to worship his acting skill. I can see this show turning into procedural, new cases every week. Even if it won’t be that case, I don’t dig any of the characters which is my rule number one in watching TV. Always find someone in a show to make you look forward to next episode. Over and out.

Comment by Leo – September 27, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooooooo good. Added this to my regular record list.

Comment by Emgee – September 23, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought it was great next to NCIS this is going to be my do not miss show loved it

Comment by Fay Purdy – September 24, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it I’m be watching this show every monday along with Castle

Comment by Aleana – September 23, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING!

Comment by Leondre – September 23, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would anyone want Spader to change his performance? He’s great.

Comment by Emgee – September 23, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! I thought the same thing.

Comment by TobyG. – September 24, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me three! No one plays smarmy like James Spader. No reigns needed or wanted from my perspective.

Comment by MLO – September 24, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adding this my must see tv list :) I really like the idea of him bring her father but don’t know if that is a way too obvious route for the show. Anywho, best pilot drama I have seen lately

Comment by Brenna – September 23, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually really like the idea of him not being her father… but that we are kept guessing on that front for a while.

Comment by ben – September 23, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What if he’s the husband’s father?

Comment by dee123 – September 24, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ohhhhhhhh i like that twist…oh wow that would be crazzzzzyyyyyy

Comment by shannypooh – September 24, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • only because that seems too predictable, i’m in favor if him being directly or indirectly responsible for her parent’s death, and his working only with her is in HIS mind the only way to atone, though of course, he does appear to be some kind of sociopath so… that could manifest itself in so many kinds of messed up ways.

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 23, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would be better if he was pretty much responsible for her mother’s death & was working with her father but i just think they will go the obvious route & make him her father

Comment by steve – September 23, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thought was that maybe her mother was some kind of “lost love” from when he was a young man…

Comment by Maryann – September 24, 2013 01:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As someone currently studying forensic psychology, I adored this show

Comment by Ashley – September 23, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Blacklist” turned us off immediately with it’s over the top violence. A child abduction and torture,,,TOO MUCH! Won’t be sucked into the drama of such a dark series. Done halfway through first episode.

Comment by Susan Trester – September 23, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How did you not know that’s what the show was going to be?!? Over sensitive.

Comment by Ky – September 23, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’ll admit the bomb strapped to the kid’s back was pretty horrifying to me (maybe you didnt watch that far though… sorry)….

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 23, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well i dont no what type of show’s you watch if you thought that was over the top bit too sensitive are we?

Comment by steve – September 23, 2013 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t like to watch graphic violence, and yes, you’re correct there are fewer and fewer shows I will watch. But I never want to become so immune to violence that it means nothing to me and I just shrug it off. It might only be TV violence that isn’t real but the real world is becoming more and more violent too and real people, even children, are getting hurt and killed. If that makes me “too sensitive” I’d rather be that than think it’s just normal. And by the way it’s “I don’t know what type of shows you watch” not “I don’t no what type of show’s you watch”

Comment by Karena – September 24, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am a regular CSI watcher and I was gut-punched when the husband was so graphically stabbed. This was indeed extremely graphic violence, not to mention something children should definitely not watch because of the bomb and the child. That said, I will keep watching for now, and hope they don’t do stuff as bad as that stabbing on a regular basis. (The only current show I would like to watch and don’t because of its darkness is Criminal Minds.)

Comment by Maryann – September 24, 2013 01:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seeing as how this show is not on the Disney channel children shouldn’t be watching it anyway

Comment by alison – September 24, 2013 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Amen Allison- That’s why it’s on at 10:00PM people so that little darlings are safe and sound in bed…

Comment by Kathy – September 24, 2013 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • agree! American Horror Story…THAT’S GRAPHIC and I love that show as well but The Blacklist on the other hand is very mild TV suspense drama.

Comment by shannypooh – September 24, 2013 04:48 PM PDT
      • Why would you think this show is intended for children? That’s just dumb!

Comment by Alex – September 24, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Its on broadcast television at 10 pm. If you think this was graphic, I can only imagine what you think of The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones

Comment by Jillian – September 24, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WOW! If you think that was violent, you sure do not watch very much tv at all! That was mild!

Comment by Lou – September 24, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, it was nowhere near so dark as quite a few (unwatchable) other shows like Criminal Minds. It was fantastical enough not to be literal – somewhat dark, psychological action.

Comment by Temperance – September 24, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! CM is *much* more dark and it’s on at 9! Obviously parents should be doing their jobs and making sure their kids aren’t watching shows like CM, but it surprises me that CBS keeps it at 9 instead of 10.

Comment by Aprilcot – September 25, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree! We turned it off, too. Nicely stated. Thanks!

Comment by Penny Lane – September 24, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re missing out.

Comment by Ava – December 31, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good story, Spader is great, the girl not so much. I will tune in again and see what the first few episodes bring.

Comment by Mattie – September 23, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my opinion, The Blacklist is destined to be my favorite new show of the season and it does have potential to be one of the breakout TV hits of the year and James Spader deserves to have awards show consideration written all over it. NBC should a huge hit this year depending on how well the ratings hold up but I guarantee you this deserves to be one of the front runners to get a full season pick up by the network. Keep up the great work NBC.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 23, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You see, I was interested in this show until I saw that James Spader was part of it. I’m biased I admit, because he ruined The Office for myself and a couple of my friends.

Comment by Esaul – September 23, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You didn’t realize The Office was ruined by then?

And oh yeah, IT’S A DIFFERENT SHOW!

Comment by David4 – September 23, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matter of opinion, as it always will be.

And yes. Different show. But it’s the same actor. I wasn’t fond of his role in The Office, and due to my (as previously mentioned) biased opinion, I find it unlikely I will give it a try.

Comment by Esaul – September 23, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Spader’s performances as a comedian and as a dramatic actor are far, far different, and you should at least tune in once.

Comment by Maryann – September 24, 2013 02:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That is what I’m hoping for. At least there’s Hulu for those that didn’t tune in :)

Comment by Esaul – September 24, 2013 04:36 AM PDT
          • I did end up watching the pilot episode. Spader definitely wasn’t as bad as I anticipated, and I agree with your assessment. He definitely was the strongest actor. Wasn’t a fan of Megan Boone’s performance though. It definitely is among the better pilots thus far.

Comment by Esaul – September 24, 2013 12:23 PM PDT
    • Spader was awful on the office and he ruined the show, but this role is perfect for him.

Comment by Luther – September 23, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well thanks for letting us all know.

Comment by kate – September 23, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well seeing how this is meant to be a forum about our opinions and to create dialogue on shows, I’d say you’re very much welcome.

Comment by Esaul – September 24, 2013 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BTW, I think of The Blacklist as part Alias part 24 part Homeland and a mix of Silence Of The Lambs in between.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 23, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is bang on assessment!

Comment by DavidSask – September 23, 2013 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Very Alias-esque. I loved the premier and think James Spader is incredible.

Comment by Ava – September 24, 2013 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoyed the show. Thought both Spader & Boone played well off each other. There were a few things that could be better, but overall I liked the pace of the show. Biggest gripe though was Megan Boone’s obvious wig, just didn’t look right.

Comment by Jon – September 23, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was a wig?! I was wondering because it did look off!

Comment by Amanda – September 24, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Looks like her hair does get better in the following episodes

Comment by alison – September 24, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed it, and I think this show is going to be one of my favorites this season, but I think the plot this particular episode had some logical issues.

When Reddington told them about the kidnapping that was yet to happen, my immediate theory was that he must actually be working with the kidnappers. It seemed to me like this was confirmed because the kidnappers had a really well-planned trap set up on the bridge, since the only way the kidnappers could have known where the girl would be was if they knew Reddington would tell the FBI about the plan.

It seems sort of weird to me that neither Elizabeth nor the other FBI agents suspected this or considered it after the girl was kidnapped, but I might have just missed something stupidly obvious.

Comment by lasya – September 23, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • right? he tells them the girl is gonna be kidnapped and then… she is… whilst in FBI custody. that should be a BIG red flag. they knew they would be crossing that bridge, they didn’t just manifest that truck full of gasoline at the bridge when they realized they couldn’t snag the girl at the dance studio. and the head guy (harry lennox) seems WAY too willing to listen to james spader. like, to a fault. that being said, i can suspend my disbelief/ logic for a hot minute cause the rest of the show tickled my fancy like whoa. ever since alias i’ve been looking for/ disappointed by female-centric cop/law-enforcement/vigilante shows and pending a few more episodes to prove it’s worthiness, this MIGHT be the show that fills that 7 year void. MAYBE. *fingers crossed*.

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 23, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I enjoyed this show a lot and was pleasantly surprised by James Spader. I am trying to find out the name of the song at the end of the show. Can anyone help me out?

Comment by heidi – September 25, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • 99 problems, Jay Z sang the original but don’t know who did the remake

Comment by jes – September 25, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I don’t believe that’s the song heidi was referring to. There was a slower, lighter song that was playing while the girl was opening the floorboards and finding the chest. Does anyone know the name of that song?

Comment by Jason – September 26, 2013 02:41 PM PDT
        • It was 99 problems. This version was by Hugo.

Comment by Kelly – September 26, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The song playing when she was ripping up the carpet was “State of the Art” by Jim James (the lead singer of My Morning Jacket.)

Comment by Alichat – September 28, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The song was called Citizens by Alice Russell

Comment by Travis – October 14, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, let’s put aside the well executed kidnapping when there was supposedly a kink in the plan for a sec…..why didn’t the FBI think something was up when they are suddenly diverted because of a chemical spill? That’s one of the things that bothered me. They are stopped, and are just like “ok….it’s a spill….pull a uey!” They know someone’s trying to kidnap the girl….they are told this by an intelligent, sociopath who has been on their most wanted list for YEARS….and they don’t think a sudden diversion is odd? They don’t have someone continually checking the route they are taking just in case Reddington is tricking them? It was an interesting pilot, but if the stupidity of the FBI continues, I will become too aggravated to watch. Reddington specifically asked for her. Why didn’t they have someone keeping an eye on her house, in case Reddington had someone on the outside and a plan to do something to her or her family? You’re going to honestly tell me that her father’s criminal background never showed up on an FBI background check? I found her sudden turn into Jason Bourne lazy and unimpressive. I’d have been more impressed with her character if she gotten information from him through her intelligence instead of torture. And I found the twist with her husband lazy as well. Of course he’s a spy. How genius!

Comment by Alichat – September 28, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Redd is the type to play both sides against each other when ever it suits him…He is a tit for tat kinda person, so it follows he is giving the FBI this uber list b/c there is a name or someone he needs them to find b/c he can’t on his own. My guess is her father isn’t him, possibly the person he really wants to find so learning and studying her means he is closer to the father. Also could be that her husband works for her father in some capacity…

Comment by Trenton – September 23, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • These are really good Ideas and I hope it’s the direction the show takes.

Comment by Amanda – September 24, 2013 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just put that down to the fact they’ll no guards escort the General’s daughter to & from the dance studio afterall she is a high profile person so she probable does have guards escourt her from the dance studio to home so they will of known the route they take & picked the best spot on the route to ambush them.

Reddington did not state that they were going to take her from the dance studio he just said they were going to cause a distraction & take her. So therefore the people that took her will of just assumed it was the normal guards that escourt her to & from the dance studio.

Atleast thats my take

Comment by steve – September 23, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it from start to finish. Was looking forward to this most and it did not disappoint. This one’s locked in for my Monday night timeslot.

Comment by Cort – September 23, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I both agree that this was the best of it’s kind we’ve ever seen on t.v. Almost like we viewed a full blown movie! James Spader killed it! Oh, maybe I shouldn’t have said that.

Comment by Sandy (@wismiss3) – September 23, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My husband and I totally agree. James Spader has been a favorite of ours since Boston Legal. No one better for this part. The Blacklist grabbed us right out of the gate and held us until that final scene. It is on the must see list for sure. Definitely a hit! :)

Comment by Kim R – September 24, 2013 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the first episode a lot, it was so good. I’ll watch it every monday.

Comment by Joey – September 23, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle, which was a complete bore with a nonsensical cliffhanger, is officially on the DVR list. If Blacklist can maintain the quality of the pilot it’s definitely on my must-watch list.

Comment by Jimmy – September 23, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was okay. James Spader was a little hammy for my tastes, and a lot was entirely predictable and I’m not intrigued by the mysteries. Unless there’s just a bunch of red herrings, it feels obvious what some of the reveals are going to be. I might check out another episode or two, but it was just slightly above the average procedural so far.

Comment by Adam – September 23, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess your learning towards thinking there going to reveal he is her father that just seems a way too obvious route to go. Surely when writers wrote it they would of thought that people think he was going to be her father so hopefully wise enough not to go that route

Even just of a description of show you’d probable think he was her father so cant believe theyed be that stupid to go that route

Comment by steve – September 23, 2013 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really loved it. I thought that the lead actress actually held up well with Spader.

Comment by Kayla – September 23, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s 99% Alias but it’s BECAUSE of that that im all in (which could lead to bitter heartbreak down the road but that shall remain to be seen), and now i know parminda nagra is going to be in it… BONUUUUS!

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 23, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No mysticism but kinda has an Alias vibe, except more set in a real world. She isn’t this perfect uber spy type…she seems flawed and mistake prone. But yes anything approaching Alias is worthwhile ;p

Comment by Trenton – September 23, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it does have all of those shows in it, yes, i’m just hopelessly obsessed with alias. LOL. i’ve been waiting YEARS for someone to even come CLOSE to earning the admiration i have for sydney bristow. *fingers crossed*

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 23, 2013 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People hating on Spader…It was a pilot people, takes a couple of episodes for actors to dial in their characters…if you watch any show and fall in love with it you will see that find a groove after a while…rewatch the mentalist and see how Jane was at the start compared to now ;p I think he is her uncle…he left when her father left to help him or stop him and he went down a road…or the worlds worst undercover gig. I do like that this show is using relative new comers and people who haven’t had a starring roles for ever…save spader; makes it more real and believable. I think this show will be a hit b/c it has a hannibal lecter vibe without the gore…like White Collar meets Silence of the Lamb.

Comment by Trenton – September 23, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This could be the first show on NBC to actually keep me watching in probably 10-15 years. James Spader has always been one of my favorites and did not disappoint tonight. The show flowed, which is refreshing. Will definitely put in as a season recording and hope that it stays one / does not disappoint as the season progresses.

Comment by SoFla – September 23, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see why the critics are calling it the best new show of the season. I’d be very impressed if any other show could capture my attention like this one has. Spader is excellent. This role is definitely ideal for him (unlike the Office role, which, frankly I don’t see as his fault — moreso a problem of poor writing and miscasting. I loved him in Boston Legal). The actress is doing a fine job as well and the Hannibal/Clarice dialogue is very interesting. I love a plot with twists and turns and while there was a hole or two, there were enough surprises and unanswered questions to maintain my interest. So far, I very much enjoyed it. If any other new show is this good I’ll be very surprised (and pleased). Looking forward to next week (if I’ve recovered from the Breaking Bad finale by then).

Comment by Elaine – September 23, 2013 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow i loved it! And thats rare in general, let alone for a network TV show, let alone for NBC. Im shocked.
    The acting and casting was great, the mysteries (things we dont know yet, overall plot etc) are exciting, i was shocked i think it was the first time in a while (maybe since Fringe?) that a network TV show made me actually feel something. Specifically the scene where the woman is with the kid in the SUV and is putting on the gas mask, i felt sad for the girl and felt emotionally connected…which is something i havent felt once on Revolution.
    As far as the “Hes her father”…considering its network TV and NBC..im inclined to think he will be…which i dont have a problem with other than how hard the are leading us to that in this pilot.
    Currently my theory is he is her father, and some criminal killed his wife (her mother) or something, so he delved into the underworld of criminals to learn absolutely everything he could, to come out the other side ___ years later to bring them all down, maybe the Black List is even the people that were involved in killing his wife. Whats nice is i dont think thats necessarily the best story line…iv read a bunch that are great and im sure there are a bunch we havent thought of yet…so i cant wait…this is a much watch!

Comment by M3rc Nate – September 23, 2013 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was a great scene. Nice touch having the kidnapper throw Keene the gas mask for the little girl, and than having Keene try to comfort the girl while putting the mask on for her while the kidnapper counted down before throwing the canister.

Comment by johnhelvete – September 24, 2013 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe he is her father also. He killed someone who was going to expose him ( maybe mercy killing) he purchased the house and then immediately blew it up because of the memories. He killed the Guy who was going to kill her in the episode pushing him into the bathtub of acid.

Comment by Stanley Smith – November 26, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wasn’t perfect, but I enjoyed it. I hated the corny names of the bad guys, “The Chemist.” Really? A guy who makes chemical weapons is called The Chemist. What a shock. Minor quibble, but it’s the kind of show that will draw me in. It does have a bit of that Alias vibe that I’ve been missing.

And I just have to know what’s going on with the husband …

Comment by Dan – September 23, 2013 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my god…such beauty in such a show like the blacklist. I think that the smartest thing to do was to make a show about a killer/Marijuin who goes around undercover the best!!!! I would die seeing that if so this show went blacked lakes out

Comment by James Marijuin Poe – October 22, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never thought I’d say this, but James Spader is simply DELICIOUS in The Blacklist. He is so perfectly cast.

Comment by Jess – September 23, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can someone tell me the name of the song that faintly plays in the background of the it’s a girl scene. It is the scene where liz goes home and finds tom beaten and bound to a chair.

Comment by Josh – September 23, 2013 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was wondering the same thing.

Comment by Jason – September 26, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great pilot…not quite as good as Sleepy Hollow’s but close.

Comment by The TV Watcher – September 24, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So this is basically The Following meets Homeland, right? Except it’s closer to the former than the latter in terms of believability, acting, plotholes, etc.
    My expectations might have been a bit higher than warranted because of all the positive buzz it was getting, but I ended up a bit disappointed. While I didn’t hate it, I actually liked the Sleepy Hollow pilot more.

Comment by Eli – September 24, 2013 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked the lead female fbi character, and I’m intrigued about her past and her husband. I’ve never been a big Spader fan, but I like his character. I’ll definitely continue to tune in.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch (@mkroggasch) – September 24, 2013 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the pilot a lot. I fell for Spader way back at the beginning of his career, when he was a young leading man in thriller-type movies. For me, Boston Legal and The Office were both unwatchable, so it was a big thrill to once again see Spader in something really good. Granted, he has changed a great deal since then, but his basic charm is definitely intact.

Comment by Maryann – September 24, 2013 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so bored around 15-20 minutes in, probably around the time Spaders character was in the hotel room, just being really cheesy, but the second half of the episode made up for a slow start. Just the right amount of questions and plot, but fear that it’s going to get too predictable/formulaic. B

Comment by Sokratis – September 24, 2013 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you can suspend disbelief a little bit and roll with the FBI being presented as a bunch of incompetent idiots, then this will be a fun show. Spader is excellent, as is Megan Boone as agent Keen. Lots of fun, action and even some humor (especially if you laugh at all the stupid mistakes the FBI made along the way).

Comment by Joe Drizzler – September 24, 2013 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, once again the FBI are rather incompetant (like on The Following), so that has put me off. Plus, I guessed almost every plot twist (even the pen neck stab; thanks Dexter!) and that’s never a good sign. And why was the zoo not evacuated? There were still people within a hundred feet of the bomb. Hmm.

Comment by googly eyes – September 24, 2013 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t see it yet as COMCAST bites. You’d think with a whole section devoted to it on On Demand they would have the episode up by the next morning to view, for those of us who may have been busy at 10 at night, and nope! I can still see 20 trailers and promos, but not episode 1. Genius move, build it up and lag the actual show upload til later in the week, this way we forget it as the workweek has taken precedent. Looks like it was great by the reviews though! (I pay 200 a month for this angst)

Comment by Jim P. – September 24, 2013 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was enjoying this UNTIL they drove up to the trap THAT THEY WERE WARNED ABOUT!!!
    When they were told the road was closed because of a hazmat accident, they should of been.. ‘THAT’S THE DIVERSION!!!’ TURN AROUND!!!’, but no, they drove right up to it… Its that kind of blatant stupidity that takes me right out of a show. If they had any smarts they would have used the same helicopter they used to get the new agent to the office to get the girl, or at the very least used a different route than the girl normally takes home (only way they could possibly have been waiting for em). I’ll watch it again on demand to see if the rest of the show can make me forget the idiocy of this plot device.

Comment by Peter Williams – September 24, 2013 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s on the must watch list, right there with Sleepy Hollow (who delivered big time last night btw). I like Spader and his over the top “I’m so freakin’ brilliant” performance – this falls right into his wheelhouse. Lets see if the next two to three episodes can deliver…

Comment by sladewilson – September 24, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well know I have 2 shows to watch Monday at 10 ;) I loved the show and have already set it for the season ;) Well done!

Comment by Mike Henigan – September 24, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A little too much like Silence of the Lambs. But since I LOVED Silence of the Lambs, I’ll stick around to see what happens next!

Comment by JDS – September 24, 2013 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the pilot! My high expectations were met. Megan Boone may have received criticism for her acting but i found her really well cast. She plays the role very well and i couldn’t imagine anyone else in that role. It’s a balancing to the power that James Spader brings.

Now i only hope the rest of the series holds up to the pilot.

Comment by Sam – September 24, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I´m really impressed. Made it to my “Must watch”. I thought James Spader was great. Don´t know about the lead actress yet. Courious about the husband. There is a good new show for NBC. Lets hope the series survives the network…

Comment by Viv – September 24, 2013 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pilot had a few too many WTF? moments to be believable, so it only scores an “Above Average” for me, but I think the show has tons of potential, and plan to watch again.

Comment by arianeb – September 24, 2013 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle is toast. Between this show and Hostages, they’ll be battling for 2nd place every week. They do need a better female lead actress or this show may tank.

Comment by Bob – September 24, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cannot agree with Bob less. For me, at least, Blacklist will not supplant Castle as my number one show on Mondays. Bones as a lead in for Monday evening will go to another date and make it even harder for this Fox effort to be successful. Sorry that it wasn’t placed in another time block.

Comment by J.R. House – September 24, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was impressed! This was a pretty good pilot.
    I want to know what Ryan Eggold’s character is hiding! He may be CIA?
    As for the connection with Ray and Elizabeth, I am pretty sure he is her father!

Comment by sarah – September 24, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would guess her husband is from a foreign country, most likely Russia or some other Eastern European country. The passports were shown quickly, but most seemed to be written in the Cyrillic alphabet.

Comment by johnhelvete – September 24, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • James Spader should be on our tvs every week, all year long :D

Comment by Polly – September 24, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved loved loved it! The only part I didn’t like was seeing Mike from Homeland on there. Not that he wasn’t amazing on this show, and I will enjoy seeing him on it very much, but does this mean that Mike and Jess won’t get their much-deserved happy ending? In any case, I loved this show and I thought all the characters played very well off of each other. Looking forward to more!

Comment by SouthernBelle – September 24, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show it had my attention form the very begining can’t wait ti next Monday

Comment by David Cameron – September 24, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Elizabeth tries to kill Red and she isn’t arrested? Stabbing him with a pen would be attempted murder. I liked the show but there were a lot of holes.

Comment by Jane – September 24, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post