Pilot Scoop: Bethany Joy Lenz to Star in E! Drama Songbyrd From Grey's Scribe and Smash EPs

Bethany Joy Lenz‘s passion for music and acting is intersecting again.bethany_joy_lenz songbyrd

The One Tree Hill alumna has landed the starring role in Songbyrd, an hour-long scripted E! pilot written by ex-Grey’s Anatomy scribe Krista Vernoff and exec produced by Smash duo Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, sources confirm to TVLine.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Images From 45 Returning Shows

She’ll play Lauren Byrd, a genius songwriter who employs a small staff, including her sister, to enable and manage her eccentric, yet wildly successful process. But when her ex-fiancée reveals himself to be less than the man she remembers, she comes to the realization that she can no longer live in the past, and must find a new, true inspiration for her sake and those around her.

Lenz, who is coming off an arc on Dexter, will next be seen in CSI‘s 300th episode, airing Oct. 23.

1. Michele says:

YESSSSSSSSSS!

2. Gloria says:

I’m soo happy. I watch One Tree Hill reruns EVERYDAY, Sun thru Sat lol I’ve been watching the same reruns for the past 13 months and I can say she is a great actress…

3. great news on the anniversary of OTH, Joy with its own program yayyyyyyyyyyyyy. although I’m not big fan of E!, this is a great opportunity for Joy!!!!!!!!!!

4. Cherry says:

Yes! I hope the drama pilots from E are good, I’d love to see her back on TV regularly, she deserves it.

5. Alex S. says:

Best gift for #OTHday!

6. Sarah says:

Loved her in OTH, loved her on Dexter, she is a fantastic actress!

7. Shannon says:

Such great news!! I’ve really missed her since OTH ended. She’s such a sweetheart too…happy she’s getting her own show.

8. nabocane says:

Still can’t believe she’s not related to Kay Lenz. She looks so much like her and has the same unusual surname.

9. Rosa says:

ok, I’m confused…. she’s BACK to being Lenz now? what happened to Galeotti? she changes her name as much as Puff Daddy, lol, wtf?!

10. abz says:

Is she not going by Galeotti anymore? Thought she took her husbands name.

11. Brett Heitkam says:

Well I hope E! doesn’t have those annoying scrolling news updates during this show like they do on all their other original programming. It’s distracting enough during shows like “Ice Loves Coco.” I can’t even imagine how distracting it would be during an hourlong drama!

12. Azerty says:

I probably won’t watch it but that’s good for her she deserves it, specially after being so underused in Dexter, I was so disappointed. It seems the actresses of OTH are way more sucessful than the guys (is Chad Michael Murray still acting?^^).

13. keryn says:

Any idea when we may see this series begin to air? I love this actress….both as an actor and a Singer. I also love the writer behind this show. I can’t wait to see the first episode!!!

14. James says:

Okay Mark Schawn doing “Royals” and now BJL in this. Go E!!!!

15. Joey says:

Happy news. She’s a great actress and singer. Hope her show gets pickup.

16. Matt C. says:

While I believe she deserves a better network than E!, I’m still happy she’s getting her own show! She is an incredible actress (and singer) and it’ll be great to see her back on TV.

17. Kristy says:

LOVE her! I’m hoping the pilot gets picked up and others get to see what a true talent she is. Anyone else still remember her as Michelle on “Guiding Light”?

18. Alex says:

Random, but I think she’d make a cool Sheryl Crowe in one of the 500 Lance Armstrong movies that are being made.

Anyways, congrats to her. She’s a fantastic actress and singer. I’d definitely watch this.

19. Leah says:

As much as I love to see her getting more work post OTH, I wish she would land her own show on a network more known for scripted programs. Either way, good for her! She’s a great actress and singer.

20. Aimee says:

I’m beyond thrilled for her! It’s about time! Really hope this show gets picked up. No one deserves it more than Joy. And to combine both of her passions? Sounds like a perfect match.

21. Kim says:

I’ve always thought she was such an underrated actress. She’s largely been in a supporting role, but this will be a great opportunity for her. Can’t wait! Will definitely watch.

22. Jen says:

Yay! love Bethany Joy Lenz. Hope this gets picked up!

23. Unquestionably believe that that you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the web
    the simplest thing to keep in mind of. I say to you,
    I definitely get annoyed at the same time as other
    folks think about issues that they just do not understand about.
    You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and also outlined out the whole thing
    with no need side effect , other people can take a signal.
    Will probably be again to get more. Thank you