Pilot Scoop: Bethany Joy Lenz to Star in E! Drama Songbyrd From Grey's Scribe and Smash EPs

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Bethany Joy Lenz‘s passion for music and acting is intersecting again.bethany_joy_lenz songbyrd

The One Tree Hill alumna has landed the starring role in Songbyrd, an hour-long scripted E! pilot written by ex-Grey’s Anatomy scribe Krista Vernoff and exec produced by Smash duo Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, sources confirm to TVLine.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Images From 45 Returning Shows

She’ll play Lauren Byrd, a genius songwriter who employs a small staff, including her sister, to enable and manage her eccentric, yet wildly successful process. But when her ex-fiancée reveals himself to be less than the man she remembers, she comes to the realization that she can no longer live in the past, and must find a new, true inspiration for her sake and those around her.

Lenz, who is coming off an arc on Dexter, will next be seen in CSI‘s 300th episode, airing Oct. 23.

Comments (27)

• YESSSSSSSSSS!

Comment by Michele – September 23, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m soo happy. I watch One Tree Hill reruns EVERYDAY, Sun thru Sat lol I’ve been watching the same reruns for the past 13 months and I can say she is a great actress…

Comment by Gloria – September 23, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great news on the anniversary of OTH, Joy with its own program yayyyyyyyyyyyyy. although I’m not big fan of E!, this is a great opportunity for Joy!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Mariangela Pinto (@Flakapinto) – September 23, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I hope the drama pilots from E are good, I’d love to see her back on TV regularly, she deserves it.

Comment by Cherry – September 23, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best gift for #OTHday!

Comment by Alex S. – September 23, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved her in OTH, loved her on Dexter, she is a fantastic actress!

Comment by Sarah – September 23, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such great news!! I’ve really missed her since OTH ended. She’s such a sweetheart too…happy she’s getting her own show.

Comment by Shannon – September 23, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still can’t believe she’s not related to Kay Lenz. She looks so much like her and has the same unusual surname.

Comment by nabocane – September 23, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok, I’m confused…. she’s BACK to being Lenz now? what happened to Galeotti? she changes her name as much as Puff Daddy, lol, wtf?!

Comment by Rosa – September 23, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She got divorced, I think last year

Comment by Maris – September 23, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She dropped her married name and went back to her maiden name.

Comment by Darlene – September 24, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is she not going by Galeotti anymore? Thought she took her husbands name.

Comment by abz – September 23, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she did….and then they got divorced because his family is like a cult and he was craaaaazy controlling

Comment by JeniLee – September 23, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I hope E! doesn’t have those annoying scrolling news updates during this show like they do on all their other original programming. It’s distracting enough during shows like “Ice Loves Coco.” I can’t even imagine how distracting it would be during an hourlong drama!

Comment by Brett Heitkam – September 23, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I probably won’t watch it but that’s good for her she deserves it, specially after being so underused in Dexter, I was so disappointed. It seems the actresses of OTH are way more sucessful than the guys (is Chad Michael Murray still acting?^^).

Comment by Azerty – September 23, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • meh.

Comment by Rook – September 23, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any idea when we may see this series begin to air? I love this actress….both as an actor and a Singer. I also love the writer behind this show. I can’t wait to see the first episode!!!

Comment by keryn – September 23, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay Mark Schawn doing “Royals” and now BJL in this. Go E!!!!

Comment by James – September 23, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy news. She’s a great actress and singer. Hope her show gets pickup.

Comment by Joey – September 23, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I believe she deserves a better network than E!, I’m still happy she’s getting her own show! She is an incredible actress (and singer) and it’ll be great to see her back on TV.

Comment by Matt C. – September 23, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE her! I’m hoping the pilot gets picked up and others get to see what a true talent she is. Anyone else still remember her as Michelle on “Guiding Light”?

Comment by Kristy – September 23, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Random, but I think she’d make a cool Sheryl Crowe in one of the 500 Lance Armstrong movies that are being made.

Anyways, congrats to her. She’s a fantastic actress and singer. I’d definitely watch this.

Comment by Alex – September 23, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love to see her getting more work post OTH, I wish she would land her own show on a network more known for scripted programs. Either way, good for her! She’s a great actress and singer.

Comment by Leah – September 23, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m beyond thrilled for her! It’s about time! Really hope this show gets picked up. No one deserves it more than Joy. And to combine both of her passions? Sounds like a perfect match.

Comment by Aimee – September 23, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always thought she was such an underrated actress. She’s largely been in a supporting role, but this will be a great opportunity for her. Can’t wait! Will definitely watch.

Comment by Kim – September 24, 2013 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! love Bethany Joy Lenz. Hope this gets picked up!

Comment by Jen – September 27, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post