NCIS Planning New Orleans-Based Spin-Off, Exec-Produced By Mark Harmon

NCIS New Orleans SpinoffNCIS has big plans for the Big Easy.

TV’s most watched drama is preparing an off-shoot that will be set in New Orleans and introduced via a planted pilot to air in spring 2014.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on NCIS, NCIS: LA and 43 Other Returning Faves

Per our sister site Deadline, NCIS: N’Awlins (as I and perhaps only I shall dub it) will be executive-produced by NCIS showrunner Gary Glasberg and series star Mark Harmon.

The NCIS New Orleans office apparently handles cases from Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle. But I’m not so good with geography, so don’t quote me.

RELATED | NCIS Exclusive: Sopranos Alum Eyed as Ziva’s Successor, To Debut in November

The news comes less than a year after CBS announced its plan for an NCIS: Los Angeles spin-off, NCIS: Red, which aired last spring as a planted pilot (starring Kim Raver and John Corbett) but failed to land a spot on the 2013-14 schedule.

Fun fact: CSI: NY was originally to be set in New Orleans, and as revealed after Melina Kanakaredes left that CBS procedural, that is where Stella Bonasera now works.

Do you want Cajun-style NCIS on your telly?

1. Jennifer says:

I think this could be pretty cool.

2. Man they really won’t give up on this franchise will they? You’d think after RED failed last year they would let the franchise breathe for at least a year before trying again.

• Badpenny says:

Go look up Law & Order. :)

• Exactly, especially since the original is now in such a crucial and transitional year with Ziva’s departure. They should stay focused on making it a smooth transition.

• NoChance says:

“Red” was Shane Brennan and tagged to be a spin-off of “LA”.
      Would love it if this was a way to create a team for Tony (and Michael Weatherly to star), to take over when ‘NCIS’ eventually ends.

• Izzy says:

For spin off, Tony getting promoted with his own team is the only idea that actually makes sense after all these years.

• M3rc Nate says:

Totally agree, love that idea and its the classic idea…i mean does he want to be the #2 into his 50s? 60s? Or just wait till Gibbs dies then take over? Give him the spinoff and its basically a guaranteed success. Then have his boss, or someone on his team, or a team leader of another NCIS team, be a woman that he has great chemistry with and do the chemistry “will they wont they” thing again, then actually pull the trigger by season 2-3 and have Tony have a real GF, then he gets engaged then married..all while not neglecting the NCIS core of the show and the cases.

Dont think its possible? IMHO the best NCIS season/story line was Tony with Jeanne Benoit. It was real, emotional (when he cries telling her he loves her or w/e, i actually welled up) and deep and did i mention REAL? Let Micheal use those acting chops again and we finally see Tony happy with a GF/Fiancee/Wife.

• jenferner8 says:

I assume you know NCIS is a spin-off of JAG. I’m willing to give ths one a chance. Didn’t like Red because of Kim Raver and they were to mobile and show tried to “force” romantic sparks between her and Callen, I tried Red because of John Corbett.

3. Jimmy says:

So Harmon is producing? Is this preparation for the flagship to ride off into the sunset?

4. As long as it doesn’t involve Abby leaving the main show, I’d be interested.

5. They should name the title NCIS: New Orleans or NCIS: Big Easy or NCIS: Mardi Gras. JUST SAYING.

6. Moms a TVFan77 says:

Should be good. Probably more believable than NCIS:Red. Really? Living out of a semi truck? UGH

7. JBC says:

NCIS Red was horrible, but this NCIS New Orleans could be good with a southern based navy unit. I will give it a try.

8. NoChance says:

Big but reasonable request: FILM ON LOCATION!!!

• prish says:

I assume that is the draw, good perks for TV production.

• ziplu says:

New Orleans is quite used to having filming done in and around here. They are gaining a nice rep as Hollywood South. Filming here would be a piece of cake, and I would be very disappointed in a show like this that didn’t film here.

9. J V Smith says:

They should grab Josh Stewart who appears off and on as J.J’s husband on Criminal Minds. He has an accent that sounds like he’s from the Big Easy. Cute and good actor.

10. DavidSask says:

This network saddens me, they can’t do anything new or cutting edge! CBS should be called the old procedural network!

11. Simon says:

I’m so sick of spin offs now.

12. Pau says:

No, No, no!! Bring Back CSI:NY!!

13. Andrea says:

This could be a really interesting way for the series to continue if Mark doesn’t want to continue playing Gibbs full-time.

Abby’s from Louisiana, so I think I’d want her to go there.

Tony could have his own team, McGee could be in his Senior Field Agent, and they could take Palmer with them. Bishop could go too, or they could cast an agent from the South.

Ducky and Gibbs could make occasional guest appearances.

I’m intrigued if the plan is something like the above or if it will be a whole new cast. I’ll test drive it either way.

14. Isaac says:

We all know it’s going to be called NCIS:NO

15. Tina says:

Abby is from NOLA, right? Cool! It could be interesting.

16. Tracy says:

I’ll watch it if Gary Sinise is in it! It would be great to see him in a military drama!

17. JeffDJ says:

I don’t think we really need another attempted NCIS spin-off right now, but that’s an interesting tidbit about CSI:NY’s Stella going to New Orleans. Since they’re both CBS, it would be cool if her character crossed franchises and became one of the leads on the new show.

18. kajar says:

This is actually sounds promising, if they let the location work for them. It’s rare to get one of these cop procedural type shows that is NOT set in New York or Los Angeles or D.C., these days and I’m all for that.

19. Allyson says:

I love NCIS and all, but can I just have JAG back please?

20. Bellz says:

Spin offs eventually fail or kill off the main source. Red failed before it even started. I have a bad feeling about this.

• NoChance says:

Different Executive Producers. “Red” was conceived by Shane Brennan and it was suppose to launch from “LA” (also his creation). This one is Mr Harmon & Mr Glasberg and will be launched from the original “NCIS”.
      Being that it’s going to come from the mothership does that mean that Mr Bellisario is involved in any way or has given his blessing?

• Stacey says:

He has no involvement anymore with NCIS. And I believe he’s Ill. It was a bitter ending, so I doubt he would be involved in anyway!

• NoChance says:

It’s still his production company so I thought the 2 men might have worked things out in order for Mark to be involved in creating a spin-off. I might be remembering it wrong but didn’t Mr Harmon not approve of spinning off “LA”?

• gospelmidi says:

A bad feeling about this? Then you probably don’t have a taste for Jambalaya, Shrimp Creole, or Crawfish Etouffé, either. NCIS: N’Warlins. Fear not, it’s an acquired taste, and before you know it, you’ll love it.

• Lisa Kieffer says:

Maybe I shouldn’t admit this, but I definitely plan putting NCIS: New Orleans into my DVR list to record but not NCIS. I have to support my hometown. Mr. Harmon take no offense; I am bored with the show. But hey it’s still the # 1 drama so it’s doing something right!!!

21. John says:

I’ll give it a go. That franchise has a great track record with me.

22. Heidi says:

Bellisario!! Where are you! HELP them!!!

23. JaKe says:

This sounds to me like they are signaling the end of the mothership or at least making a contingency plan. All of the current cast’s contracts are up after this season except maybe Mark Harmon. I don’t believe CBS ever announced the length of his contract. It certainly puts the rumor that Cote de Pablo wanted a one year deal in a new light. Combine all that with Gibbs building his retirement cabin at the end of last season and it seems like they are preparing to possibly bring things to a close with the original crew. I will be sad to see it go if it does although Ziva was my favorite character and the show has lost something for me with her gone anyway.

24. Scott says:

NCIS: N’Awlins – YES! As for the show, I guess I’ll give it a try.

25. Linderella says:

Puh-lease…does anyone at CBS have an original idea?

26. JC says:

I like the sound of it far more than I liked the sound of NCIS Red (that whole concept was just too far out there). And if it gets back to what made me love NCIS in the early years, or better yet, add in some JAG flavor, I’m all for it. However, I hope they don’t move over anyone from the current show, especially Tony. Part of that I’ll admit is that I just don’t really like Tony that much, but I’d rather see a completely new team and new relationships without all the old baggage.

27. Bran says:

Only way it works is if Nic Cage is the lead. It would be crazy and absurd and awesome!

28. Maryann says:

I am excited about this. Success is all about the casting chemistry, but with Mark Harmon behind it, I have a lot of faith this will work out. What I would really love to see is the original star of JAG show up from time to time in a recurring role, perhaps having been promoted to a really high level job at this point in his career.

• Doug H says:

AJ showed up this past season to a mostly ho-hum from most of the current fans of NCIS.. Plus the writers screwed up that episode by not even letting fans of JAG have more… With no renewal of Army Wives announced, Catherine Bell might need a job!!

29. LSJ says:

Seriously? CBS is going to become the NCIS network if they keep spinning off this show.

30. John says:

I like the Los Angeles spinoff more than NCIS at the moment so this could be good news.

31. Ram510 says:

They already tried a spinoff last season, why try desperately again this season?

32. Maria says:

I guess I’d check it out, depending on the cast.

33. magreeda says:

I really like the idea of them spinning off Tony into his own team. That would probably be the only reason I’d pay it much interest and that’s mostly because that’s a move that makes sense.

34. arial2 says:

I’d love to see a familiar series set in New Orleans, as long as it’s shot there and not in Burbank. There’s wonderful nightlife/music and great wildlife in that area, as well as the Mississippi River. I’d definitely watch this one. My ideal cast would include Khandi Alexander (CSI:Miami) and at least an occasional visit by Melina Kanakaredes. I can’t wait to learn who will be in the cast; hopefully, most will have Southern roots to make it more interesting.

• Lisa Kieffer says:

The show needs to be filmed here in New Orleans. This city does a great deal of filming. The hospital I work at is constantly being used for filming. The backdrops they can use is way better than a studio lot.

35. Simone says:

I think NCIS New Orleans would be a terrific spin off or NCIS Hawaii, San Francisco, etc…

36. Bonnie says:

New Orleans!? St. Paul would be more interesting because it at least isn’t on its way to becoming a ghost town. Even Abby left NOLA. The only thing New Orleans has to offer is a few weeks of debauchery each year. Hope NCIS:NOLA can find better characters than RED had.

If NCIS is going to get a spinoff, Simone has the right idea. NCIS:Hawaii… or NCIS:Rota. Make it something believable. But New Orleans? Come on!

• Lisa Kieffer says:

Have you ever visited the city? This city had been to hell and back and we still smiling and friendly. Better yet you stay where your at.

• Carolyn says:

I would love NCIS: New Orleans, I love that city. Not NCIS:Hawaii, we already have Hawaii 5-0.

37. Janice Herren says:

I would love a ncis spinoff in new orleans!!! That would be two of my favorite things put together!

38. margot moss says:

The protagonist of the new spin-off should be TOM WELLING! We want fresh new actors and not the usual actors that we see everywhere. You want Tom, fantastic actor and beautiful.

39. Laura says:

Yes Tom Welling in the new spin- off!!!!

40. taw2236 says:

I think Colin Hanks should be on this team. I liked his character.

41. Kate says:

Yes! I’m definitely interested. This sounds like a great plan for Tony to run operations there once the mothership has wrapped. I don’t want to lose Tony or Abby so this is a great opportunity to continue their characters, and any of the other originals who want to follow. Also allows Gibbs to come and play (like Mike Franks) a few times a season so we never have to lose him either. Or maybe that’s not their plan at all and I’m jumping ahead of myself. I DO love the sound of a New Orleans based show though!

42. Lisa Kieffer says:

Speaking on terms I live in New Orleans and love this city so much, I think NCIS: New Orleans will make the fall 2014 line up and be a success. Now what the show should really do is film here and collect all the tax breaks that Louisiana has to offer the film industry. Get the true feeling of the city and all it has to offer. So come on down here Mr. Harmon and Mr. Glasberg to film. Will feed you beignets, boiled crawfish and throw Mardi Gras beads at you. You will love it!!!

43. EGL says:

Maybe CBS should leave the NICS spin-offs alone. I think CBS got lucky with NCIS:LA and should stop there :)
    I am very disappointed at Ziva’s departure and wish CBS could have worked out any issues with her. I feel the show will suffer without her. Her chemistry with all cast members was very valuable.
    Hopefully there won’t be any other cast members leaving. Glad to see you have Mike appearing in episodes where Gibb’s is flashing backing. BTW..Need to have Gibb’s dad return for a few episodes.

• William says:

For the most part I think you are right but if they can find the right mix, why not….and New Orleans would be a great location, what with the coastline from Texas to Florida…get away from all the middle east conflicts and concentrate on local crimes…most of those states utilize the death penalty and there could be some great plots involving wrongly convicted death row inmates…not to mention the acting chops it would take to deal with the last days of a truly guilty but sympathetic character…this location would provide a lot of plot diversity and it isn’t to far from Oklahoma where Bishop is from…if Ziva should comeback she could relocate to New Orleans…like I say for the most part I agree with the original post, but I think this scenario could work

44. Lainy says:

Would love to see a spin off if the chemistry is like ncis, I am just starting to get into ncis,la. But there are several military bases from Pensacola to Texas so they would have legit bases to mention. I live on the gulfcoast and have been to Nola several times. But I hope they leave Tony with Origional show, let Gibbs do the traveling to and fro.

45. Marilyn Lopiccolo says:

Would love to see an NCIS NOLA which is Creole not Cajun. Will the cast be the same?

46. okie-dokie says:

why don;t they cast COTE DE PALABO as the lead star in NCIS NEW ORLEANS? THAT WOULD BE A BLAST.

47. julia says:

FORGET NCIS NEW ORLEANS!! AND PLEASE………SOMEBODY GET RID OF BISHOP
    THE SHOW IS SOOOOOO BORING HAVING A BLOND HAIR BLACK EYEBROW PERSON SITTING CROSSED LEGS ON THE FLOOR. I AM NOW WATCHING OLD RERUNS. WHERE IS ZIVA?? OR, GET ABIGAIL BORIN TO REPLACE HER.

48. Sandra Williams says:

Loved new orleans episodes. Hope they continue it

49. carol mills says:

ncis new orleans looks pretty good, but nothing or nobody can replace gibbs and crew in NCIS!