What to Watch Monday: Castle, The Blacklist, a Super-Sized Mother and Four Other Premieres

how-i-met-your-mother-s9-premiereOn TV this Monday: How I Met Your Mother’s series-ending wedding weekend begins, James Spader reveals his Blacklist, Mom moves in and Castle gets the answer to a popped question. As the fall TV season arrives in earnest, here are 10 programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm The Voice (NBC) | Season 5 premiere: The blind auditions begin, and viewers trade in Christina Milian for Christina Aguilera. (The lesser of two evils, IMO.) (Watch Carson Daly dish on the coaches.)

8 pm How I Met Your Mother (CBS) | Hour-long Season 9 premiere: Robin and Barney make a startling discovery, while The Mother hits it off with Lily. (Get scoop straight from The Girl With the Yellow Umbrella.) (And more scoop.) (And more scoop!)

8 pm Bones (Fox) | Brennan and Booth go undercover at a marriage retreat. (AKA Tony and Roxy return!)

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 45 Returning Favorites!

9 pm 2 Broke Girls (CBS) | Season 3 premiere: A shocking celebrity event brings customers to Max and Caroline’s new cupcake window.

9 pm First Cousin Once Removed (HBO) | Filmmaker Alan Berliner chronicles his mother’s first cousin’s descent into Alzheimer’s disease.

9 pm Sleepy Hollow (Fox) | Ichabod and Abbie hunt for a vengeful witch from the 1700s who has returned to wreak havoc on Sleepy Hollow. (Get casting scoop involving a Fringe fave and a True Blood baddie.)

9:30 pm Mom (CBS) | Series premiere: How could life get worse for single mom Christy (Anna Faris, Scary Movie), who is newly sober and  barely keeping it together? The sudden reappearance of her estranged mother (Allison Janney, The West Wing). (Read our First Impression.)

RELATED | Fall TV 2013: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

10 pm The Blacklist (NBC) | Series premiere: Most Wanted fugitive Raymond “Red” Reddington (Boston Legal’s James Spader) mysteriously turns himself into the FBI and offers to give up all the big bads on his “blacklist.” The catch? He’ll only talk to newly minted FBI profiler Elizabeth Keen (Law & Order: LA’s Megan Boone). Read our First Impression and get scoop.

10 pm Castle (ABC) | Season 6 premiere: Beckett and Castle face the consequences of their decisions during a high-stakes investigation. (Get scoop from Nathan Fillion.)

10 pm Hostages (CBS) | Series premiere: Dr. Ellen Sanders (Toni Collette, United States of Tara) is faced with a choice: assassinate the President of the United States during surgery, or rogue FBI agent Duncan Carlisle (Dylan McDermott, The Practice) will kill her family. (Get scoop and Read our First Impression.)

COMING NEXT MONDAY: CBS’ We Are Men premieres.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Premieres, Previews, What to Watch

1. Ashley says:

Wait, does this mean Sleepy Hollow airs every Monday now? Wasn’t it a different day last week?

Thanks!

2. Eric says:

How I Met Your Mother, Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist for me, Castle for the DVR. Spreading my love amongst the networks so that no one gets jealous.

3. Amanda says:

All ready watched castle… was disappointing…

4. Rich Abey says:

OMG! OMG! …It’s the Castle S6 Premiere tonight! Feeling giddy with excitement & already fanboying like crazy! Can’t wait to see Kate Beckett’s answer to Richard Castle’s proposal. Will She Say Yes? Fingers Crossed!
    Too bad Blacklist airs at the same time..looks like a decent show. Will have to either record or stream online later. Same goes to HIMYM, cause nothing can replace ‘Castle’ for me!

5. leigh says:

fOr the first time in never I have something to watch at 9pm. Sleepy Hollow and then CASTLE!

6. Pennagirl says:

It was Shakira not Christina Milan on The Voice. Watching Sleepy Hollow I liked it. Maybe The Blacklist. Probably end up on The Voice.

7. Roger Canada says:

HIM, 2BG + testing Mom tonight

8. lumpy87654 says:

Dancing w the Stars, Bones, Sleepy Hollow, Hostages, The Blacklist

9. Elizabeth says:

DWTS, HIMYM, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, and I will be trying The Blacklist to see if I like it or not. Once again, there’s too much tv on Monday nights. Good thing I have a DVR.

10. greysfan says:

How I Met Your Mother
    Bones
    Sleepy Hollow
    The Blacklist
    Castle
    Hostages
    The Voice

11. Stef says:

Castle Mondays are back!!! Woot woot! I was so tempted to watch it last night, but I resisted. Bring on 10 o’clock!

12. ollie says:

himym, 2 bg and castle. so glad castle is back!!

13. Joey says:

HIMYM, watch some of The Voice, The Blacklist excited to see the first episode. I’ll watch Hostages first episode online tomorrow.

14. gaby6034 says:

@amanda do you really watch the new castle episode or you are a Bones fans spreading poison about the show, again?? I can tell you one thing. this episode of castle is MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER THAN ANY bones EPISODES. ( IMO it is much better than 4×01 and 5×01) and the last minute ….. :O

• Mary says:

Look, I´m a great Castle fan and loved the episode! But to say it there´s no need to bring Bones to here (btw, I also like Bones, not near as much as Castle but even so)…if @amanda got disapointed or not it´s for her to tell. I just don´t think it´s necessary to start that bitterness between the fandoms again…

• Omar says:

WOW. The pot calling the kettle black.

• Jillian says:

Maybe she just didn’t like the episode? No need to get upset about it and you shouldn’t just assume that she is a bitter Bones fan just because she didn’t like the episode. And if she likes Bones more than Castle, so what? It’s just her opinion. Not all Bones fans hate Castle. I like Bones more than Castle, but I don’t have anything against Castle. I just prefer Bones more. It’s just my opinion.

15. Av. says:

HIMYM for sure! <3

16. Eric7740 says:

DWTS
    HIMYM
    The Voice
    Hostages

17. Kate says:

SO excited that Castle is back! It’s also great that many in the cast are live tweeting. I can’t wait!

18. JCK says:

Bones, Sleepy Hollow, Castle.

19. wrstlgirl says:

Sleepy Hollow, The Blacklist and dvr Hostages.

20. iMember says:

Sleepy Hollow (really loved the pilot and the cast), Hostages, and Blacklist.

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree, the SH pilot was great and the cast fits very well together. Going in, I wasn’t sure what to expect but I’ll be watching.

21. Moxie says:

I’m torn between Castle, Hostages and The Blacklist. I’ll probably watch The Blacklist, dvr Hostages and catch Castle on XOD.

22. suzi says:

Watching Bones, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, recording Mom.

23. Steve says:

Bones
    Sleepy Hollow
    Castle
    The Blacklist
    Hostages

24. Andy says:

Bones, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, The Blacklist, Hostages, HIMYM, and 2 Broke Girls. The DVR is going to be thrown into its first workout session of the season tonight.

25. Brandy says:

2 Broke Girls

26. James D says:

time to warm up the DVR again feels good to be back into the swing of things.
    Bones
    Castle
    Hostages
    Blacklist
    maybe Sleepy Hollow

27. Laurie says:

DWTS, The Voice (Thank goodness for DVRs), Castle.

28. madbengalsfan85 says:

Bones, Sleepy Hollow, MNF

29. sheri says:

” viewers trade in Christina Milian for Christina Aguilera. (The lesser of two evils, IMO.) ”
    What does this mean? Is Christina Milian off the show? I hope so!!

30. TV Gord says:

Don’t miss The Blacklist! It’s the best pilot I’ve ever seen!

31. Maryann says:

LIVE:
    -DWTS
    -The Blacklist

NEXT DAY ONLINE OR ON DEMAND:
    -Sleepy Hollow
    -Castle
    -Hostages

——

I am very excited about Sleepy Hollow and the Blacklist, and I expect them to be keepers for the season. I will give Hostages a 4-5 episode try. I need to know that something is going on that is more than the obvious in order to keep watching. Does Dylan McDermott’s character have a complex motivation for doing what he is doing? Is his own family being held hostage for his actions? Is there some other very real reason that would make a reasonable person do what he is doing? If he is just an FBI agent gone bad, I’m sorry, that just won’t cut it, and I will be done. Castle? I love the romance, and I like the show better with it than without it, but it is not enough. They need compelling stories as well, and I really hope they deliver. I will probably watch an episode or two behind the airdates, and how interesting the stories are will determine whether I stay caught up or get further and further behind.

• Maryann says:

Oops, missed one. Will also check out Mom online or on demand. Don’t know if I will get past he pilot, but at least it will get a first look.

32. Emma says:

Castle live..dvr blacklist

33. Jared says:

Castle
    Sleepy Hollow
    Hostages

34. Boiler says:

This is a tough night. Like HIMYM and Bones as well as 2 Broke Girls. Then in a couple weeks Hart of Dixie which will give me 3 shows at same time. I am worried about both it and Bones with the other competition as networks seem like they don’t much care about DVR. Please stop watching “reality”!!

35. Jillian says:

I’ll watch Bones live because I love Tony and Roxy and maybe I’ll watch Castle tomorrow online just because it’s the premiere.

36. Sarah says:

Live: Bones

DVR: DWTS

Castle: Not sure Live or DVR yet

37. Bella says:

Bones, Sleepy Hollow and Castle. I’m DVRing The Blacklist and hoping that Hostages will be available On Demand.

38. Guest says:

Beckett says yes & Castle gets poisoned while doing stuff in D.C The majority of the supporting cast was either non-existent or given very little to do within the episode There. I saved everyone an hour of their Monday evening.

• Mary says:

I saw it as well, but couldn´t you keep your mouth shut?! There are people who haven´t watched and intend to, and weren´t willing to have a nobody like you “saving them an hour”!
      Can´t someone delete this post? Please!

• Ju says:

You’re incredibly rude. TvLine please remove this.

• Mary says:

Don´t know if your post is for my response to the post above or for the ditto post…if it was for me, I didn´t want to be rude, maybe my response was a bit harsh, but honestly the lack of respect to the fans showed by that person made me mad! Sorry if I offended anyone…

• Ju says:

Mary- no no no! That wasn’t directed to you at all, sorry! Your post was perfect. I was referring to the original poster who feels the need to post spoilers for no reason other than to give them a passing amusement. Such a shame, usually tvline removes these comments. Have a good one!

• Mary says:

Thank you for letting me know it wasn´t to me! And I agree with you, tvline should have removed this post…

39. Sandy says:

Saw castle lastnite in canada good episode
    HIMYM
    Bones, sleepy hollow and the blacklist looks
    Really good

40. G says:

Going to be a busy night for me and the good old DVR. I will be watching HIMYM, Sleepy Hollow, DWTS, and trying out both The Blacklist and Mom. I can see that if I decide to keep watching all of these shows that my Friday night and Saturday will be used for catching up!

41. M3rc Nate says:

Finally, i feel like Castle is back on track, though obviously it was just one episode…but how they resolved the cliff hanger was how i was hoping it would go, how the story played out was fun, and the ending was a shocker. I’d say best episode of Castle in a long time. I just hope they keep it up and give Castle his balls back permanently.

42. kirads09 says:

Tonight:
    Bones
    Sleep Hollow
    The Blacklist

43. mandy says:

HIMYM
    Sleepy Hollow
    The Blacklist
    online: Castle

44. A says:

Bones tonight, catching up on HIMYM tomorrow.

45. bobbie says:

don’t watch this week’s castle til next week. Bones, bones, bones! Blacklist. Maybe Sleepy Hollow, though it doesn’t capture my interest quite as much as it seems to have for everyone else. I thought they killed off the wrong police officers.

46. Nunaya_Bidness says:

DWTS
    Sleepy Hollow

47. JG says:

My cable company who I use for phone and internet plus one box for tv just introduced a deaver that allows me to record ten shows at once. It only cost me two dollars more PLUS I have a few deavers with FIOS. In spite of all that I’m avoiding reality tv and mucus competitions like the Noice.

• JG says:

AND I have in demand on cable to watch shows uncut.
      I hope SNL has gotten funny this year. Yeah. The cute chick is doing weekend update.

48. As the admin of this site is working, no doubt very
    soon it will be renowned, due to its feature contents.