What to Watch Monday: Castle, The Blacklist, a Super-Sized Mother and Four Other Premieres

how-i-met-your-mother-s9-premiereOn TV this Monday: How I Met Your Mother’s series-ending wedding weekend begins, James Spader reveals his Blacklist, Mom moves in and Castle gets the answer to a popped question. As the fall TV season arrives in earnest, here are 10 programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm The Voice (NBC) | Season 5 premiere: The blind auditions begin, and viewers trade in Christina Milian for Christina Aguilera. (The lesser of two evils, IMO.) (Watch Carson Daly dish on the coaches.)

8 pm How I Met Your Mother (CBS) | Hour-long Season 9 premiere: Robin and Barney make a startling discovery, while The Mother hits it off with Lily. (Get scoop straight from The Girl With the Yellow Umbrella.) (And more scoop.) (And more scoop!)

8 pm Bones (Fox) | Brennan and Booth go undercover at a marriage retreat. (AKA Tony and Roxy return!)

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 45 Returning Favorites!

9 pm 2 Broke Girls (CBS) | Season 3 premiere: A shocking celebrity event brings customers to Max and Caroline’s new cupcake window.

9 pm First Cousin Once Removed (HBO) | Filmmaker Alan Berliner chronicles his mother’s first cousin’s descent into Alzheimer’s disease.

9 pm Sleepy Hollow (Fox) | Ichabod and Abbie hunt for a vengeful witch from the 1700s who has returned to wreak havoc on Sleepy Hollow. (Get casting scoop involving a Fringe fave and a True Blood baddie.)

9:30 pm Mom (CBS) | Series premiere: How could life get worse for single mom Christy (Anna Faris, Scary Movie), who is newly sober and  barely keeping it together? The sudden reappearance of her estranged mother (Allison Janney, The West Wing). (Read our First Impression.)

RELATED | Fall TV 2013: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

10 pm The Blacklist (NBC) | Series premiere: Most Wanted fugitive Raymond “Red” Reddington (Boston Legal’s James Spader) mysteriously turns himself into the FBI and offers to give up all the big bads on his “blacklist.” The catch? He’ll only talk to newly minted FBI profiler Elizabeth Keen (Law & Order: LA’s Megan Boone). Read our First Impression and get scoop.

10 pm Castle (ABC) | Season 6 premiere: Beckett and Castle face the consequences of their decisions during a high-stakes investigation. (Get scoop from Nathan Fillion.)

10 pm Hostages (CBS) | Series premiere: Dr. Ellen Sanders (Toni Collette, United States of Tara) is faced with a choice: assassinate the President of the United States during surgery, or rogue FBI agent Duncan Carlisle (Dylan McDermott, The Practice) will kill her family. (Get scoop and Read our First Impression.)

COMING NEXT MONDAY: CBS’ We Are Men premieres.

Comments (87)

• Wait, does this mean Sleepy Hollow airs every Monday now? Wasn’t it a different day last week?

Thanks!

Comment by Ashley – September 23, 2013 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope, it was Monday last week as well.

Comment by Walrus – September 23, 2013 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It premiered last Monday, but they re-aired it on Friday.

Comment by Moxie – September 23, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are also repeating Sleepy Hollow on Friday nights.

Comment by laura johnston (@3341laura) – September 23, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • and thank goodness they are for the time being – Monday’s too busy in my house and I’m the only one interested in it. yay for Fridays!

Comment by abbyhope – September 23, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How I Met Your Mother, Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist for me, Castle for the DVR. Spreading my love amongst the networks so that no one gets jealous.

Comment by Eric – September 23, 2013 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All ready watched castle… was disappointing…

Comment by Amanda – September 23, 2013 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw it too (is now on Sundays in Canada) and we really liked it!!! Next week will be really good! Laughed a lot last night and acting was great. Good case too!

Comment by Nicole – September 23, 2013 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I saw it as well and wasn’t disappointed at all. I really liked it.

Comment by Sara – September 23, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ditto. :)

Comment by Kim R – September 23, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • yea! I loved it too!

Comment by Zahra – September 23, 2013 06:52 AM PDT
      • OH MY GOD, YOU’RE RIGHT, CASTLE IS UP ONLINE. NOW I REALLY WILL HAVE MY OWN CASTLE MONDAYS. GOD BLESS CANADA.

Comment by Tallulah Alice Mae (@Luvagoo) – September 23, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seriously! Canada airing it a day earlier was the best TV news I got all summer!
          Also, I LOVED IT. Had some doubts going in, but it seriously killed it. AMAZING.

Comment by Christina – September 23, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And I thought I was dreaming seeing it online! S-amazing!

Comment by Mima x – September 23, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watched it on TV last night too (being Canadian has its perks lol) and I really liked it and how they handled the proposal. :)

Comment by Amber – September 23, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, not for me…I already watched too and loved it!:)

Comment by Mary – September 23, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought it was terrific! Four big surprises in the first ten minutes! I was anything but disappointed!

Comment by TV Gord – September 23, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are def blind..Best castle Season Premiere Ever…

Comment by Kye – September 23, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Very meh.

Comment by Aly – September 23, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought it was a great episode and a good start to the season. I mean I can already picture the predictable drama that will occur, but nevertheless I still enjoyed it and love Lisa Edelstein and Stana together.

Comment by abz – September 23, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones!

Comment by SK – September 23, 2013 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! OMG! …It’s the Castle S6 Premiere tonight! Feeling giddy with excitement & already fanboying like crazy! Can’t wait to see Kate Beckett’s answer to Richard Castle’s proposal. Will She Say Yes? Fingers Crossed!
    Too bad Blacklist airs at the same time..looks like a decent show. Will have to either record or stream online later. Same goes to HIMYM, cause nothing can replace ‘Castle’ for me!

Comment by Rich Abey – September 23, 2013 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of course she says yes. Why wouldn’t she?

Comment by John – September 23, 2013 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well realistically- there are a lot of reason why she wouldn’t say yes. They have pretty bad communication so a “not yet” could make sense. But yes, I know the show isn’t going in that direction.

Comment by Ju – September 23, 2013 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All of you know the episode already aired in Canada right?

Comment by Eli – September 23, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes- some people don’t want to be spoiled and want to watch it when it premieres live in the US.

Comment by Ju – September 23, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • fOr the first time in never I have something to watch at 9pm. Sleepy Hollow and then CASTLE!

Comment by leigh – September 23, 2013 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was Shakira not Christina Milan on The Voice. Watching Sleepy Hollow I liked it. Maybe The Blacklist. Probably end up on The Voice.

Comment by Pennagirl – September 23, 2013 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think they mean Christina A literally replaced Christina M.

Comment by Lauren – September 23, 2013 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think, like most people, they are looking forward to not suffering through Christina Milan’s social media updates anymore.

Comment by Gem – September 23, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HIM, 2BG + testing Mom tonight

Comment by Roger Canada – September 23, 2013 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fogot Sleeping Hollow, I liked the pilot

Comment by Roger Canada – September 23, 2013 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dancing w the Stars, Bones, Sleepy Hollow, Hostages, The Blacklist

Comment by lumpy87654 – September 23, 2013 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DWTS, HIMYM, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, and I will be trying The Blacklist to see if I like it or not. Once again, there’s too much tv on Monday nights. Good thing I have a DVR.

Comment by Elizabeth – September 23, 2013 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sleepy Hollow airs again on Friday and Blacklist airs on Saturday as well

Comment by Keith – September 23, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s awesome! Thank you! Now I can check on the Broncos game during DWTS and Castle commercials.

Comment by Elizabeth – September 23, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How I Met Your Mother
    Bones
    Sleepy Hollow
    The Blacklist
    Castle
    Hostages
    The Voice

Comment by greysfan – September 23, 2013 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle Mondays are back!!! Woot woot! I was so tempted to watch it last night, but I resisted. Bring on 10 o’clock!

Comment by Stef – September 23, 2013 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • himym, 2 bg and castle. so glad castle is back!!

Comment by ollie – September 23, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HIMYM, watch some of The Voice, The Blacklist excited to see the first episode. I’ll watch Hostages first episode online tomorrow.

Comment by Joey – September 23, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @amanda do you really watch the new castle episode or you are a Bones fans spreading poison about the show, again?? I can tell you one thing. this episode of castle is MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER THAN ANY bones EPISODES. ( IMO it is much better than 4×01 and 5×01) and the last minute ….. :O

Comment by gaby6034 – September 23, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Look, I´m a great Castle fan and loved the episode! But to say it there´s no need to bring Bones to here (btw, I also like Bones, not near as much as Castle but even so)…if @amanda got disapointed or not it´s for her to tell. I just don´t think it´s necessary to start that bitterness between the fandoms again…

Comment by Mary – September 23, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WOW. The pot calling the kettle black.

Comment by Omar – September 23, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe she just didn’t like the episode? No need to get upset about it and you shouldn’t just assume that she is a bitter Bones fan just because she didn’t like the episode. And if she likes Bones more than Castle, so what? It’s just her opinion. Not all Bones fans hate Castle. I like Bones more than Castle, but I don’t have anything against Castle. I just prefer Bones more. It’s just my opinion.

Comment by Jillian – September 23, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE BLACKLIST

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 23, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HIMYM for sure! <3

Comment by Av. – September 23, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DWTS
    HIMYM
    The Voice
    Hostages

Comment by Eric7740 – September 23, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO excited that Castle is back! It’s also great that many in the cast are live tweeting. I can’t wait!

Comment by Kate – September 23, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones, Sleepy Hollow, Castle.

Comment by JCK – September 23, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sleepy Hollow, The Blacklist and dvr Hostages.

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 23, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sleepy Hollow (really loved the pilot and the cast), Hostages, and Blacklist.

Comment by iMember – September 23, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, the SH pilot was great and the cast fits very well together. Going in, I wasn’t sure what to expect but I’ll be watching.

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 23, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m torn between Castle, Hostages and The Blacklist. I’ll probably watch The Blacklist, dvr Hostages and catch Castle on XOD.

Comment by Moxie – September 23, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching Bones, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, recording Mom.

Comment by suzi – September 23, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones
    Sleepy Hollow
    Castle
    The Blacklist
    Hostages

Comment by Steve – September 23, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, The Blacklist, Hostages, HIMYM, and 2 Broke Girls. The DVR is going to be thrown into its first workout session of the season tonight.

Comment by Andy – September 23, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2 Broke Girls

Comment by Brandy – September 23, 2013 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • time to warm up the DVR again feels good to be back into the swing of things.
    Bones
    Castle
    Hostages
    Blacklist
    maybe Sleepy Hollow

Comment by James D – September 23, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DWTS, The Voice (Thank goodness for DVRs), Castle.

Comment by Laurie – September 23, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones, Sleepy Hollow, MNF

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – September 23, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ” viewers trade in Christina Milian for Christina Aguilera. (The lesser of two evils, IMO.) ”
    What does this mean? Is Christina Milian off the show? I hope so!!

Comment by sheri – September 23, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t miss The Blacklist! It’s the best pilot I’ve ever seen!

Comment by TV Gord – September 23, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LIVE:
    -DWTS
    -The Blacklist

NEXT DAY ONLINE OR ON DEMAND:
    -Sleepy Hollow
    -Castle
    -Hostages

——

I am very excited about Sleepy Hollow and the Blacklist, and I expect them to be keepers for the season. I will give Hostages a 4-5 episode try. I need to know that something is going on that is more than the obvious in order to keep watching. Does Dylan McDermott’s character have a complex motivation for doing what he is doing? Is his own family being held hostage for his actions? Is there some other very real reason that would make a reasonable person do what he is doing? If he is just an FBI agent gone bad, I’m sorry, that just won’t cut it, and I will be done. Castle? I love the romance, and I like the show better with it than without it, but it is not enough. They need compelling stories as well, and I really hope they deliver. I will probably watch an episode or two behind the airdates, and how interesting the stories are will determine whether I stay caught up or get further and further behind.

Comment by Maryann – September 23, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops, missed one. Will also check out Mom online or on demand. Don’t know if I will get past he pilot, but at least it will get a first look.

Comment by Maryann – September 23, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle live..dvr blacklist

Comment by Emma – September 23, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle
    Sleepy Hollow
    Hostages

Comment by Jared – September 23, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a tough night. Like HIMYM and Bones as well as 2 Broke Girls. Then in a couple weeks Hart of Dixie which will give me 3 shows at same time. I am worried about both it and Bones with the other competition as networks seem like they don’t much care about DVR. Please stop watching “reality”!!

Comment by Boiler – September 23, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch Bones live because I love Tony and Roxy and maybe I’ll watch Castle tomorrow online just because it’s the premiere.

Comment by Jillian – September 23, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Live: Bones

DVR: DWTS

Castle: Not sure Live or DVR yet

Comment by Sarah – September 23, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones, Sleepy Hollow and Castle. I’m DVRing The Blacklist and hoping that Hostages will be available On Demand.

Comment by Bella – September 23, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beckett says yes & Castle gets poisoned while doing stuff in D.C The majority of the supporting cast was either non-existent or given very little to do within the episode There. I saved everyone an hour of their Monday evening.

Comment by Guest – September 23, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw it as well, but couldn´t you keep your mouth shut?! There are people who haven´t watched and intend to, and weren´t willing to have a nobody like you “saving them an hour”!
      Can´t someone delete this post? Please!

Comment by Mary – September 23, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re incredibly rude. TvLine please remove this.

Comment by Ju – September 23, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don´t know if your post is for my response to the post above or for the ditto post…if it was for me, I didn´t want to be rude, maybe my response was a bit harsh, but honestly the lack of respect to the fans showed by that person made me mad! Sorry if I offended anyone…

Comment by Mary – September 23, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Mary- no no no! That wasn’t directed to you at all, sorry! Your post was perfect. I was referring to the original poster who feels the need to post spoilers for no reason other than to give them a passing amusement. Such a shame, usually tvline removes these comments. Have a good one!

Comment by Ju – September 23, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Thank you for letting me know it wasn´t to me! And I agree with you, tvline should have removed this post…

Comment by Mary – September 24, 2013 01:31 AM PDT
  • Saw castle lastnite in canada good episode
    HIMYM
    Bones, sleepy hollow and the blacklist looks
    Really good

Comment by Sandy – September 23, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Going to be a busy night for me and the good old DVR. I will be watching HIMYM, Sleepy Hollow, DWTS, and trying out both The Blacklist and Mom. I can see that if I decide to keep watching all of these shows that my Friday night and Saturday will be used for catching up!

Comment by G – September 23, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally, i feel like Castle is back on track, though obviously it was just one episode…but how they resolved the cliff hanger was how i was hoping it would go, how the story played out was fun, and the ending was a shocker. I’d say best episode of Castle in a long time. I just hope they keep it up and give Castle his balls back permanently.

Comment by M3rc Nate – September 23, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tonight:
    Bones
    Sleep Hollow
    The Blacklist

Comment by kirads09 – September 23, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HIMYM
    Sleepy Hollow
    The Blacklist
    online: Castle

Comment by mandy – September 23, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones tonight, catching up on HIMYM tomorrow.

Comment by A – September 23, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t watch this week’s castle til next week. Bones, bones, bones! Blacklist. Maybe Sleepy Hollow, though it doesn’t capture my interest quite as much as it seems to have for everyone else. I thought they killed off the wrong police officers.

Comment by bobbie – September 23, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DWTS
    Sleepy Hollow

Comment by Nunaya_Bidness – September 23, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My cable company who I use for phone and internet plus one box for tv just introduced a deaver that allows me to record ten shows at once. It only cost me two dollars more PLUS I have a few deavers with FIOS. In spite of all that I’m avoiding reality tv and mucus competitions like the Noice.

Comment by JG – September 23, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AND I have in demand on cable to watch shows uncut.
      I hope SNL has gotten funny this year. Yeah. The cute chick is doing weekend update.

Comment by JG – September 23, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As the admin of this site is working, no doubt very
    soon it will be renowned, due to its feature contents.

Comment by Watch Tv Shows Online – January 14, 2014 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post