How I Met Your Mother Recap: 'Here I Am'

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 RecapYes, lots of things happened during How I Met Your Mother‘s Season 9 premiere on Monday night, but let’s just cut straight to the momentous event we all really want to talk about: Ted and The Mother shared a scene, and it was kind of magical!

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on How I Met Your Mother and 44 Other Returning Faves

Being single at a romantic destination wedding, Ted is getting plenty of pity from the hotel’s front desk clerk (a fun Roger Bart). He passes his time by doing a crossword in the bar lounge when The Mother suddenly appears besides him. Then another Ted enters the bar and takes a seat next to her.

“Hey, beautiful. You look great,” he says.

“Come on. I just ate a croissant crumb that I found in my bra,” she replies.

Then Ted recounts the story of how exactly one year ago, at the same table, he made a promise to himself that he would come back and bring her even though he hadn’t even met her yet. But he knew he would. Now, it’s a year later, and “here I am,” she says.

“Love in your eyes, baked goods in your undergarments,” he jokes.

“You picked a real winner, Mosby.”

“I did,” he replies, and if that whole exchange doesn’t make you smile, sigh and give you chills all at the same time, I don’t know what will. The show has been building up to this romance for eight years — aren’t we all glad that they didn’t wait any longer to give us a glimpse of the couple? — so to finally see Ted and the love of his life together and their loving, flirty interaction was almost surreal. And what a relief it is that Josh Radnor and Cristin Milioti — who seems to get HIMYM‘s odd mix of quirky humor and big, open heart — have a warm, wonderful ease with each other.

Elsewhere in the episode:

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN | While Ted and The Mother’s moment was the highlight of the hour, the first person to actually meet the future Mrs. Mosby was Lily. Their cute encounter on the train, during which The Mother provides Lily with cookies and comfort, proves all the ways in which the mystery gal is the adorably dorky perfect match for Ted: Lily muttering “lonely” and “unicorn” gave her a great idea for a children’s book (can’t you picture Ted reading that to their kids?), she wears leather driving gloves and she likes weird roadside attractions.

SOMETHING OLD | The gift box Ted is intent on giving Robin doesn’t hold her locket, but a photo of the gang together from the opening title sequence eight years ago. But because this is Ted, earlier in the week he bought a plane ticket to Los Angeles to search for the locket in Stella’s storage unit.

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 SpoilersWILD CARDS | Barney’s 1/8th Canadian side comes back when he and his future bride realize they might have a crazy cousin Mitch in common. In the words of Summer Roberts, EW! But hey, it’s OK, because “we know we won’t have kids,” says Robin. (I guess she told him about her infertility?) And according to Barney, King Joffrey (from Game of Thrones) is a child of incest and he’s “a fair and wise leader.” Thankfully, it’s a false alarm, but Barney’s family still throws them for a loop when James announces that he’s getting divorced because he cheated on his husband — a lot. Cue hilarious flashback to circa-1807 Moscow for the origins of the Stinson Curse, which makes male members of the clan hornier and hornier. Robin wants James to keep mum because she’s afraid that the news will spook Barney. A drunk Lily spills the beans, but it turns out Robin didn’t have anything to be worried about. “I don’t need them to make me believe in true love anymore,” he says. “I’ve got you for that.”

ON THE ROAD | Marshall got saddled with an unfortunate subplot and an overly aggressive Sherri Shepherd as Daphne, a fellow plane passenger — that is, until Marshall’s behavior gets them both kicked off the flight. They battle each other to get the last seat on another flight and then the last rental car. At the hour’s end, the two make peace and embark together in a Monstrosity vehicle back to New York, but I’m hoping Marshall decides to ditch Daphne at a rest stop.

HIMYM fans, what did you think of our first look at Ted and The Mother? Was it enough to make you forget about his crazy locket obsession? And was Wayne Brady the secret MVP of the episode for playing both Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton at the same time? Grade the premiere below, and then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. The first words we hear Ted speak to the Mother: “Hey, beautiful.” The name of HIMYM’s theme song: Hey Beautiful.

Coincidence? I think not.

2. JBS says:

I don’t know what to think about HIMYM anymore. All in all, I enjoyed the premiere & there were actually several funny & touching moments. But I think that this is going to be a painful season to watch because it only takes place over a few days. I’m still going to watch & I’ll probably still enjoy it, but I think season 9 is going to be frustrating at various points for me.

• Brendan says:

The new season of Arrested Development took place over a couple days as well and it was still enjoyable.

• D'Arcy says:

It really, really didn’t. It took place over 5 years.

• neha says:

If I’m not mistaken, it actually did take place in a few days (starting from when Michael was kicked out of the college unto the day that Michael was punched by his son), but they showed the five years that had happened in between in a flash-back type format. It’s not exactly the same, but HIMYM is going to do a similar thing. For all we know, an entire episode could be a flashback or a flash-foward.

• averagjoe3 says:

season 4 of AD was terrible.

• GOD says:

How I Met your Mother is terrible so it fits. I loved the first few seasons of this show but then it got so bad I checked out. But I thought I’d tune in for the final run and that was an hour of my life I want back. The actors are great as well as the “mother” but the writing is so incredibly bad. Forced. And the constant fake laughing made it worse. This show has been on 4 seasons too long and I look forward to all the casts next projects.

• Tookie Clothespin says:

You took the words right out of my mouth. Overall I enjoyed both episodes but, by confining the characters to the inn and the airport (now the car driving to New York) the writers may have written themselves into a bit of a corner. Some of the conversations seemed to go on for just a little bit too long. Almost like the writers couldn’t find stuff for them the characters to do so they just made them talk a lot. I feel that this season is going to be enjoyable overall but, there are going to be some really rough parts for me too.

3. Mike R. says:

Overall I thought it was a great premiere. I wasn’t crazy about Barney and Robins subplot in the first episode, as well as Marshall’s subplot in the first episode, but his subplot improved in the second thanks to laughs. Other than that I loved it, I don’t care what anyone says I think the Mother is perfect, she is adorable and she seems perfect for Ted. I’m not ecstatic about the fact that Ted is not et over Robin, but hopefully they dot drag that plot on for too long. I loved the premiere and I hope HIMYM has a strong final season.

• J says:

agree, i’m curious how the writers will have ted be completely over robin so that when he meets the mother it doesn’t feel like a rebound. Overall I enjoyed the premiere, not an episode I would rewatch but there were some sweet and touching moments

• SKat says:

I think they are giving Ted one last…ok, I love Robin- but she is my freind and so is Barney, so whatever is meant to be will be. The mother is adorable. Now that they’ve given her some camera time, her and Ted are a perfect level of cuteness. That bar scene with the flash foward and backward- loved it. True HIMYM style.

• Alan says:

i think he went to la to get the locket so he could put that part of his life behind him, he already seemed to be moving on in that final scene where he made the promise to bring her to the inn so i wouldnt be surprised if the writers went that way.
        all in all the two episodes have made me a lot more confident in the coming season than i was before, it seemed to have some of the old charm back and the mother is a perfect addition to the show which should help it to stop feeling stale.

4. FatherOctavian says:

Fantastic premiere. Best episodes in a long long time. I got a feeling watching tonight’s episodes that I probably haven’t had since the beginning of Season Four. Everything was sharper.

5. analog says:

We should have met the mother 1-2 seasons ago.

6. Jimmy says:

The best scene was the final one with Future Mother looking lovingly at One Year Ago Ted. But then, I’m an old softy that way.

7. Amy says:

Loved the episodes but couldn’t help but feel like I’ll miss MacLaren’s this season. I’m on board with the mother. She and Ted had great chemistry. I could also see her and Lily being besties. Excited to see how it ends. Knowing the mother is coming is the only thing keeping me from throwing things at the TV over the locket.

• jenna says:

I was exasperated by the locket but seeing as its at Stella’s I have a feeling we will get an episode about all of Ted’s past serious relationships (stella, robin, maybe victoria). Who knows maybe seeing stella will help Ted get over robin

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

A nice opening episode(s) tonight with “The Locket & “Coming Back” – looking forward to season 9 and how this all plays out. The flash forward scene with Radnor and Milioti was fantastic. The HIMYM cast has been on the cover of Entertainment magazine and USA Weekend recently – nice that the show and cast are finally getting some attention and cover stories in this final season.
        I like your theory about Ted perhaps running into Stella and Victoria one final time – that would be nice to see. Maybe help Ted get past the ‘Robin-thing.’ However, I’m of the thinking that perhaps Ted may not ever completely get over Robin – and that’s okay, there are worse crimes. That may be something the two of them remain aware of, and they just store that knowledge away somewhere in their memories and forget about it and move forward with their respective spouses. I think that would add a nice ‘edge’ to the storyline. That’s what adults have to do – they have to forget and move on with their lives.

• cas says:

I can live with this. I have always been a Ted and Robin person, doesn’t help that I just don’t buy Robin and Barney as a couple. But I do like the mother, or I am starting to like her as I was unsure at first, and I think maybe if they leave it as Ted and Robin both know it’s time to move on and that they will always share this little knowledge I would be happy. Only because I just don’t think you get over a love like that. I understand the mother is the love of his life, but Robin was the love of his life first and that doesn’t go away.

• Saabgirlatx says:

Oddly enough, I felt like the lounge had a wanna be (or stand-in) McLarens feel to it with the bar to the right, etc. so happy we’ve finally found the mother!

• Alan says:

i think it might have been a redress of the actual maclarens set, which makes sense since they dont need it anymore and doing that would save money.

8. rachelle says:

Sooooo romantic. The mother is perfect. The chemistry between her and Ted is perfect. I can’t wait to see their love story unfold. I was very satisfied with that scene of future Ted and Mom.

9. Tom Charles says:

I loved it, I so dig The Girl With the Yellow Umbrella. And I caught the “Hey Beautiful” thing too. I can’t wait for next week.

10. Brendan says:

Roger Bart made the episode for me… He had me cracking up! I hope that’s not the last we see of him.

11. erin says:

Strong start to the season, gives me hope. I like the mother as a match for Ted, but I still don’t care about either of them as characters. I thought her interactions with Lily were much better than the Ted scene. I just hope Roger Bart is going to be in all the episodes, I can never get enough of him!

12. Penny says:

This show makes my heart happy.

13. jj says:

Barney is 1/4 Canadian.

14. Tori says:

I have stopped watching the show faithfully because I never thought we would meet the mother. I am now more then happy because the wonderful actress to play the mother is worth the wait. I do wonder the mother’s scenes with Lilly, if I am the only one who think they look like sisters? It would be hilarious if it turns out Lilly’s dad forgot to mention he had another daughter.

15. Joey says:

The two episodes was so good and funny. The mother did good in the few scenes she was in both episodes.

16. Mehvash says:

Loved Loved seeing Ted and the mom together.i have high hopes for this final season, HOWEVER show stealer must go to Wayne brady playing both Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. AH-MAH-ZING.

17. knd says:

Absolutely great chemistry btwn Ted and the mom. That was my favorite scene of the whole hour. Could have done without the trains planes and automobiles subplot with Marshall.

18. phuong says:

ted and the mother have great chemistry they were adorable i love both episodes cannot wait to watch the rest of the season

19. Ever says:

The scene between them was magical. They have amazing chemistry and she is so cool. I love it and I cannot wait for this season. I’m so glad we have met her and the season will probably have the flash forwards often so they can be together :)

20. tara17 says:

Milioti was so fantastic on 30 Rock that I was sold in advance, and i’m more than still on board after tonight. Loving this season so far. All were great, hoping Marshall gets there soon.

21. Av. says:

It was awesome! Period. :)

22. CultureVulture says:

Can we talk about whether or not Robin has revealead to Barney her infertility? I feel like they wouldn’t just throw that one away, would they?

• heels says:

Well they both kinda said to each other when they thought they were related somehow that, it’s not like their going to have babies. But I also want to see Barney’s reaction if it would be like Robin’s first reaction when she got the news. She was really depressed, and it made her realized that maybe in the future, she would want some babies.

• Helvetica says:

Even though this recap makes it seem like Barney knows, I definitely heard him say “Even if we have kids”, after Robin declared they weren’t going to. So I think he doesn’t know and maybe it will still come into play this season? Though your wedding day might not be the best time to break that kind of news to your future husband…

23. roderk says:

I know the wedding will take place between Robin and Barney but I always hoped that this would not happen. I do not think they will be happy together. I have an idea that would be fun is that Barney meets his son (whom he had with Rhonda) who tries to seduce Robin. He will compete with this man and discovers in the end that it was his son.

24. Austin T. says:

AMAZING premiere. Best one HIMYM has ever done. Several laugh out loud moments, and lots of heart too. Not sure how to explain it, but the show feels complete in a sense, in a way that gives context but moves the story forward. Btw, I almost died laughing when Marshall and Lily’s kid deleted the photo! Hahaha. Perfect.

25. Tee says:

It definitely feels like the story will be dragging along to draw out the wedding weekend to a lengthy season. Wish they had just opted for a shorter season or maybe less of it about that weekend. But the mother scenes with both Lily and Ted were very cute, I’d tune in just to see more of her.

26. Priya Bansal says:

Even when Robin said we will never have kids; if you listen carefully Barney repeated “even if we ever have kids” may be Robin hadn’t told him about her infertility.

27. Amanda says:

Do we get a whole season of Curtis and Linus, too? Because that could be fun.

28. jackass. says:

Ditched school for this season premiere… aaand it was worth it! I cried like a baby when the two ep’s ended and when Ted gave Robin the picture of them together 8 years ago at McLarens. This is an awesome start and I am looking forward to everything what’s to come. I just hope that this season will go by just as slow as Slowsby because I don’t want this show to end. I was 10 when this show started, and I was an idiot for NOT watching it from the very beginning because I wasn’t into TV stuff and all that.

I love it – everything ’bout it. The stories, the characters, the actors. Simply perfect! No words can describe that! + the thing that makes it even more sad is the fact that this is my, and definitely other people’s too, last highschool year. I am not as sad about highschool coming to a close as I am about HIMYM, but, I guess, all good things must come to an end sooner or later. Good thing is – we will have it forever in our hearts! :)

29. NCSouthernBelle says:

I thought the premiere was great – with the exception of Marshall’s plot. We all knew where it was going and it dragged on for so. freaking. long. I love the chemistry between Ted and The Mother. I hope Barney and Robin do get married; I think they are awesome together and perfect for each other. Can’t wait to see Lily and Marshall have the conversation about his acceptance of the judge position.

30. Scott Sandler says:

Remember the line about how the Farhampton Inn is so romantic it’s known for all the babies conceived there? Trilogy Time is some point in 2015. The scene with Ted and the mother is set in May 2014. The Farhampton Inn is probably where the daughter was conceived. Right after the scene we see.

31. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Just a comment so I could get comment notification emails

32. cas says:

I can officially say I do like the mother which is a relief. I still like Robin better but obviously that isn’t going to happen. I wish they would already end that whole disaster as I think it’s time to move past the Robin/Ted stuff. I never really believed the Robin and Barney love either so that is always disappointing. Overall a good episode and I loved Lily in this episode.

• RobertKrasseraustria says:

Everything is possible…. even a happy Ted-Robin ending! There is so much unsolved after the past 8 seasons and so much can and will happen:
      – Pinapple
      – At least Barney dont know about Robins infertillity (and there is no spoken evidence that Ted knows either)
      – The “not yet” bet Lilly-Marshall”
      – Italy
      – Robins mum

But what about I am thinking most right now are 2 tings:

50 hours to the wedding… The Mother = The Girl with The Yellow Umbrella = TGWTYU is in the same train with Lilly asuming she is in the same Hotel. There are a lot of questions coming up?

– Why Ted is meeting her for the first time AFTER the wedding? Is he blind, Is she blind?
      – She knows him from Economics Class
      – Lilliy knows her from the train
      – He was resposible for getting the band via her flatmate Cindy
      – The spend at least hous at the same reception

What the hell is wrong that they dont meet in the hotel, at the wedding at the reception?

Therefore I assume a big big trick of Carter bays and Craig Thomas.

I think the girl on the Plattform is not Chrisin Miliotti, maybe they swich roles with Romin or whomever?

So I am still not 100% convinced that TED ist telling the strory to HIS kids, maybe is Barney because he is ashame he changed the long storry and told him out of the sight of Ted.

Proof: in “The front porch” Ted has his original vice when he is 60 something, when he is 55 he has the voice of Bog Sarget?

So everything is possible…

On of my last crazy theories….

1) Barney is banging the wedding planner (redonkolous body) or Milliotti / or Qinn comes back
      2) big fight Robin Barney + big fight Barney Ted
      3) Robin is sneaking out of her wedding in the clothes+yellow umbrella of “Milioti” because she wants to tell ted that she loves him. Sort of a trick, big gesture.

So Milioty is just a red herring. Why I persume this?

I think the “platform scene” will not be powerful anymore since we konow “The Mother” and I wrote it already 100 times: Almost in every episode the writers carter and Tomas are doing a Trick a red herring, tease the viewers lay a false trail to the viewers. Why Why Why they will not do this on the entire show of HIMYM???

33. Heather says:

One of the best HIMYM episodes (both) in years! I feel I have my show back. I’m a fan of Miliotti from her work on stage. So relieved to see she has wonderful chemistry with both Ted and Lily. I don’t mind the plot device of everything happening in a few days. I think we will get our fill of MacLaren’s in flashbacks.

34. Alex says:

Am I the only one that thinks (and is hoping) that if Ted did indeed find the locket, he’ll give it to Barney to give to Robin? Because that just seems like a Ted thing to do, and it would help give some closure to the Ted-Robin situation. He would basically be stepping back at that point by letting Barney give her the one thing that would make her happier than anything.

• Mika02 says:

I hope he does this. But she is going to ask for an out as we saw the beginning of last season. I hope Ted doesn’t give it to her.

• Peach says:

He won’t. There is also a flashback of last season with her dancing with her father at the reception so they do go through with the marriage. I agree with the line of thought that Ted would give the locket to Barney and then convince Robin to marry the good ole Barnacle.

• Mikael says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Ted gives the locket to Barney, who gives it to Robin and she stops second-guessing her decision to marry him, while Ted finally lets go of Robin.

35. Lola says:

Does anyone else think Lily and the Mother look like they could be related?

36. Jessica C says:

Last night, Josh Radnor was at Ohio State speaking to us before and after we watched the premiere together and it was just so obvious how much he really does love this show and these characters as well as actors. Definitely sad to see this show end but I can tell by the way he talked about it, this season will definitely be one to remember! (I absolutely loved the premiere by the way!)

37. Julia says:

Last week, I rewatched Season 8 and the chills the Last episode gave me definitely came back with this one. I think the show knows what it wants and HIMYM is so much more than a comedy. I think I like the path they are taking with the one-season-in-one-weekend thing.

38. Mikael says:

Seeing the Mother has totally redeemed the show in my eyes. If not for Sherri Shepherd, this premiere would have been near perfect. I’m sure there will be a flashforward of all of them, including the Mother, at MacLaren’s.

39. wordsmith says:

I know it was shamelessly sappy, but I awww-ed out loud when Barney dropped that line about their wedding being “Legendary” with no “wait for it” necessary – well played, writers.

40. Harrison says:

Ugh seeing a Ted-Mother scene this early makes me nervous that she might be dead in the future. Or maybe I’m just scared after what happened to Deb.

41. Lovee it! So glad HIMYM is back!

42. Petr J says: