Dancing With the Stars Week 2 Results: Did The Right Couple Go Home?

DWTS Jack OsbourneThe sheer volume of “stars” populating the ballroom floor at the beginning of each new iteration of Dancing With the Stars – it’s season 17, can you believe it? – is enough to overwhelm even the most voracious fan.

That said, tonight’s inaugural, all-in-one Monday-night extravaganza of performances and elimination — one couple got the boot based on combining the judges’ scores this week along with the public votes from last week – still packed a welcome (if tightly-packed) punch.

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars Season 17: Who’s Likeliest to Win? Check Out Our Odds!

Let’s high-kick right to the highlights for Week 2 (Latin Night):

DANCE OF THE NIGHT: Elizabeth Berkley Lauren’s samba may have sizzled, and Corbin Bleu and Amber Riley may have juiced up the joint with their respective jives, but for my money, the most memorable (and emotional) dance of the night went to…

Jack Osbourne & Cheryl Burke: After sharing a heart-tugging dose of self-loathing (“I got the worst genes in my family…fat, heart problem, MS, can’t $%$ sing, can’t act … what the #$#$!”) in the rehearsal clip, Jack wowed everyone with his rumba. When you combine a dramatically lit, smoke-filled ballroom floor, great tune (“Mad World”), one near-perfect, slow-motion style attempt at splits, and the sight of Ozzy giving Len the “I’m gonna bite a bat” stare-down during the cranky judge’s critique, what else do you need? For one thing, a trio of 8’s from the judges.

RUNNERS-UP… Leah Remini & Tony Dovolani: In another heart-wrenching moment of  vulnerability, Leah directly addressed her post-Scientology split fears (“The church is looking for me to fail…”) which made her triumphant, sexy Samba another feel-good moment.

Valerie Harper & Tristan MacManus: Watching Tristan’s tears of admiration for Valerie in the training clips – not to mention the TV legend’s fierce, determined Paso Doble – gave my heart the wobbles.

And now for the moment of truth, tonight’s results:

FINAL THREE COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Elizabeth Berkley Lauren & Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Bill Engvall and Emma Slater
Keyshawn Johnson and Charna Burgess

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Bill Engvall and Emma Slater
Keyshawn Johnson and Charna Burgess

ELIMINATED
Keyshawn Johnson and Charna Burgess

“The fact that I could have the experience to dance and learn what dancing is all about… is something amazing to me,” said a gracious Keyshawn, who praised Charna as “an amazing choreographer” before getting abruptly cut off by Tom Bergeron. (Hey, somebody had to remind folks to vote yet again.) Ah, the pain of live television!

And with that, it’s your turn. Which couple should have really gone home tonight? What do you think of the performance/elimination format? Are you shocked low-scorer Bill Nye lived to dance another week? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (20)

• Keyshawn didn’t deserve to be eliminated in Week 2. I have a bad feeling that DWTS is still a reality after thought.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 23, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this is what happens when people get to vote
      they know nothing about judgeing for the best dancer
      instead, they vote for favoritism
      BILL NYE should have got the boot in the rear

Comment by BURTON OLIVIER,JR. – September 24, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never thought Bill Nye was all that bad last week, and he was even better this week. I’m glad he wasn’t the one to leave.

Comment by april-ann – September 23, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tristan’s “tears of admiration” made me an emotional wreck. What a beautiful moment. That and Remini’s wonderfully blunt addressing of her situation re: the Church of Scientology really surprised me. Good for ABC for showing that. And good for ABC for pulling back on the DWTS’ schedule-one live show a week is perfectly fine.

Comment by EJ – September 23, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with your post!

Comment by Bobbi – September 24, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The results don’t bother me. I couldn’t even remember the guy who left, so eh *Shrugs* (not a slam against him personally, mind, just that with all the other big names in the competition he was probably going to get swallowed up pretty quickly).
    Fully agreed on Leah and Tony-I’m liking them, I’d be fine with them sticking around for a good while longer, if not making it to the finals. And I’m rooting for Tristan and Valerie, too. There’s other dancers that are technically better than her so far, sure, but I admire her strength, and she and Tristan have a good rapport going. It was very sweet and touching watching him get all emotional tonight-awwwww.
    I also agree with april-ann on Bill Nye. Even if he’s not the strongest dancer, the setups for his dances alone will be fun to watch. I liked the one he and his partner did tonight.

Comment by Angela – September 23, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s totally fun, Angela, I agree!! Of course he’s not the strongest dancer, and I believe that’s why fans should be looking forward to seeing how he can improve! Isn’t that what it’s supposed to be all about anyway? And he’s really not that bad – viewers need to give him a chance. He seems like such a sweet man, so smart yet not geeky and very gentlemanly. I like that about him. The choreography is (so far) staying true to his scientist background and is fun at the same time.

Comment by april-ann – September 23, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry but Bill Nye is a joke at best as a dancer and he’s going to be the contestant this season that gets further than he deserves merely because he’s got some weird devoted fanbase that enjoy his bad dancing.

Keyshawn wasn’t great by any means, and last week he was stiff for sure and relied heavily on Sharna to do the heavy lifting. But this week he seemed more into it and willing to loosen up for the sake of the dance. Not saying he was going to improve by leaps and bounds had he stayed, but I think he could’ve had more potential in him to do so than Bill Nye ever will.

Comment by Tess – September 23, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m surprised too that the semi-annual NFL player was the first to be given the boot. They traditionally go quite far, one (or maybe more) has even won the disco ball trophy. About Bill Nye being a joke as a dancer? I do believe the premise has changed. Because I think the original premise was that the “stars” involved were all jokes as dancers, that’s why they were on there, to test themselves by leaving their comfort zones, putting themselves out there as embarrassed as they were and giving it a shot. But that’s all different now. For the past several seasons, they have all been expected to be incredible dancers right out of the gate, and most are. At least now, SOME will admit they had some pretty noteworthy dance instruction/experience. So if your point is that Bill Nye just doesn’t fit in with the current scheming of things, then I agree with you.

Comment by april-ann – September 23, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe Elizabeth was in the bottom 3 as her dance last week was beautiful. Valerie is getting all the sympathy votes, along with Jack O, but the voting is always crazy when bad dancers stay in for at least 4 weeks every season.

Comment by ronnie – September 23, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not the bottom 3. It’s the couple to be eliminated, plus two others chosen for dramatic effect.

Comment by NJMark – September 24, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They never said Elizabeth was in any danger. It’s typical DWTS vote manipulation.

Comment by Chablis – September 23, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was ok with the elimination but I think its pretty obvious that the Science Guy should be the next to go. He’s kind of terrible. But it looks like he has a pretty solid following so he may stick around for a while. And that I think its unfair to the other competitors. I also think that its unfair that Elizabeth and Corbin have dance training while the others are just learning the ropes. I would hope that the judges will somehow modify their scoring accordingly, otherwise it would be unfair. This is my first time ever watching DWTS from the beginning, but this season so far is great. I love the more streamlined format and the cast this season actually has stars. Ms. Amber Riley is one amazing young woman and she has.my vote all the way. But I’m also rooting for Leah and even Snookie. I think the judges were a bit rough on her tonight. She has moves.

Comment by Babygate – September 23, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So you think some of the people with dance training (Elizabeth and Corbin) shouldn’t be there, but others (Amber, who has danced A TON on Glee, and it shows in her performances on DWTS) are just fine with you? This show always does that, mixing people with extensive dance training (the Pussycat doll was a professional dancer, Jennifer Grey danced her whole life and starred in a dance movie, Shawn Johnson and Kristi Yamaguchi were pretty much professional dancers considering what fields they were in… And the list goes on.) with real beginners like the comedians and the Science Guy. You either have to get rid of all the pros, including your fave Amber Riley, or let ‘em all stay.

Comment by Amie – September 24, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I saw a different samba dance from Leah then what the judges saw. I thought she looked hot but I didn’t think it had that samba feel. It felt too safe and slow at times. Love her though. Really suprised with Bill Engvall. Much better than I anticipated.

Comment by John – September 24, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely the right person went home. I’m glad this season won’t be won by another football player who’s embarassed to be there.

Comment by lumpy87654 – September 24, 2013 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Keyshawn has gone. It was a tossup among the Bills and him, but I’m pretty sure it would hae been painful to watch any more of this guy. Bill Engvall improved slightly (and may have a smidge of natural grace), and Bill Nye almost improved slightly, but unless they make a big leap next week, one of them will go. I love Bill Nye, but boy it looks like he’s one of the ones who just doesn’t get what he’s doing wrong.

Comment by buttermop (@buttermop) – September 24, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know what i like best about this show? Watching the “lousy” dancers work their tails off to improve. So yeah, all of the folks lingering at the bottom of the leaderboard have my support — for now. There’s always somebody who has to be voted off, and Keyshawn actually worked best in my opinion, since his dance didn’t get the same response from me that the other bottom-dwellers did. i get less invested in early weeks in the ones who come in already dancing well, like the HS Musical guy, Elizabeth, and so forth. I like watching the improvement, the struggle, and LATER in the show, let’s weed out the ones who hit the “mirrorball ceiling” as it were.

Comment by nobody special – September 24, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and, oh, yeah GO JACK!!!

Comment by nobody special – September 24, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best you do not let the people vote. 1 most don’t know a pot of beans about dance moves and two they vote for people that they like. It is not fair and they idiots should not vote but a panel of the eliminated dancer(professional ones) cast the vote.

Comment by Rika stanek – October 15, 2013 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post