Emmys

Emmy Winners 2013: Breaking Bad and Modern Family Score Top Honors, Claire Danes Repeats, HBO and Candelabra Dominate

Emmy Winners ListThe 65th Primetime Emmy Awards were handed out Sunday night in Los Angeles, and HBO was this year’s big winner, amassing 27 total trophies.

Fueling the pay cabler’s success was 11 total gold grabs by its Behind the Candelabra telepic, including an honor for co-lead Michael Douglas. Boardwalk Empire added to HBO’s haul with five wins, while Veep‘s Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Tony Hale took home statues as well.

CBS placed a distant second at this year’s Emmys with 16 total wins, most of which came at the Creative Arts ceremony held Sept. 15. The Eye’s biggest prize-winner was The Big Bang Theory and its three wins, including for lead actor Jim Parsons.

In the night’s two biggest races, the first half of Breaking Bad‘s final season earned best drama honors, while ABC’s Modern Family claimed the top comedy prize.

FX’s American Horror Story went into Emmy season with the most nominations — 17 total — but only converted on two of them. Similarly, HBO’s Game of Thrones went 2-for-16.

Among broadcast network fare, NBC’s Saturday Night Live fared best with four total wins.

RELATED | Emmys Poll: Did the ‘Hosts of Emmys Past’ Save Neil Patrick Harris’ Lackluster Opening?

The complete list of nominees is here. Review the list of winners and tell us which please you most!

Outstanding Drama Series | Breaking Bad
Lead Actor In A Drama Series | Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
Lead Actress In A Drama Series | Claire Danes, Homeland (2012 WINNER)
Supporting Actor In A Drama Series | Bobby Cannavale, Boardwalk Empire
Supporting Actress In A Drama Series | Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
Writing in a Drama Series | Homeland
Directing in a Drama Series | House of Cards

Outstanding Comedy Series | Modern Family
Lead Actor In A Comedy Series | Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Lead Actress In A Comedy Series | Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (2012 WINNER)
Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series | Tony Hale, Veep
Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series | Merritt Wever, Nurse Jackie
Writing in a Comedy Series | 30 Rock
Directing in a Comedy Series | Modern Family

Outstanding Miniseries or Movie | Behind the Candelabra
Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra
Lead Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Laura Linney, The Big C: hereafter
Supporting Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie | James Cromwell, American Horror Story: Asylum
Supporting Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Ellen Burstyn, Political Animals
Writing in a Miniseries or Movie | The Hour
Directing in a Miniseries or Movie | Behind the Candelabra

Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | The Colbert Report
Writing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | The Colbert Report
Directing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Reality – Competition Program | The Voice

Choreography | Dancing With the Stars, Derek Hough

Plus, select highlights from the Creative Arts Emmys held Sept. 15….

Guest Actress In A Comedy Series | Melissa Leo, Louie
Guest Actor In A Comedy Series | Bob Newhart The Big Bang Theory
Guest Actor In A Drama Series | Dan Bucatinsky, Scandal
Guest Actress In A Drama Series | Carrie Preston, The Good Wife
Host For A Reality Or Reality-Competition Program | Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, Project Runway
Reality Program | Undercover Boss
Casting For a Drama Series | House of Cards
Casting For A Comedy Series | 30 Rock
Casting For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special | Behind the Candelabra

1. Alice says:

Colbert beat the Daily Show- its about time!

2. CK says:

Is anyone actually enjoying the show this year? I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the winners and super excited (yay! Anna Gunn and Tony Hale) for most, but the show this year is just a trainwreck. The format/set-up is just bad. Could anyone inform me on why Carrie Underwood was singing? It just felt so out of place. Same with Elton John.

• CK says:

I would complain about the choreography/dance part, but it’s the only part that I am actually enjoying.

• april-ann says:

HA!! Me too. And I’m happy for Derek Hough. Think what anyone might about him or DWTS, he is such a gentleman. He’s so talented and the sweetheart in him just shines through.

3. FINALLY! The Daily Show’s streak is O-V-E-R. :-)

4. Joey says:

This is probably one of the worst Emmy Award shows I’ve ever seen.

5. Thea says:

Derek? When four AMAZING SYTYCD choreographers are all nominated, Derek wins? Is Carrie Ann the only Emmy voter?

6. Meghan says:

Oh, I like that The Hour won for best writing in a miniseries. That was a superb show.

7. wordsmith says:

Best dick joke of the night clearly goes to Michael Douglas.

8. Now that The Colbert Report has ended The Daily Show’s streak, guess we all remember what Colbert has to said years ago: I lost to Barry Manilow! I wanted to go to the Coco Cabana! LOL

9. Alice says:

I love that Derek won. Kind of wish he thanked his partner- as the only reason 2 of those amazing dances were possible was because that was the season he got the Olympic Gymnast. But this does kind of make up for him and Shawn not winning.

10. april-ann says:

Man, they really have GOT to do away with the sound during the in memoriam segment. That is outdated and outright offensive. “With a show of hands…..with audience clapping, let us know which product is better, folks?! Show us just which one you prefer! Clap loudly if you think this/that person was better at their craft! Or more popular and widely known!!” Tacky, just tacky. Please make it a respectful segment not an insult. I would have muted it, but needed to make sure the accompanying music was as bad as it sounded at first. It was. Now that was offensive. The little Moon River just-a-tune at the end didn’t help. Awful. The primetime Emmys telecast badly needs an update. Get with the times.

• Joey says:

Still far better than those individual tributes. Why? Who am I (and who is anyone else) to say who deserves those individual tributes over other people?

Do I think that Cory Monteith deserved to have a tribute on the same lines as that of Jonathan Winters and Jean Stapleton? …Yeah. But are there others who would disagree with me? Sure. Do I think that someone like Larry Hagman deserved an individual tribute? Of course.

I just thought it was completely, horribly done to place some on a pedestal above others.

• Alice says:

^THIS! Terribly disrespectful and completely inappropriate. The place to give a eulogy…is at the funeral. Which presumably the people in the audience that knew the deceased ALREADY attended. Making certain people’s deaths more important for ratings in an awards show is vulgar and crass, not to mention insulting to the families of the other deceased academy members whose loved ones were not honored with a similar tribute. I always appreciated how during the Memorial at the Oscars and Emmys the names of actors and directors and set-designers were all presented together, without setting one above another- it emphasized the Academy as a community- and was one of the only times the on-screen and off-screen contributions were treated equally. Please let this be a one-time fluke.

• april-ann says:

I agree with you. I didn’t comment on the individual tributes because I didn’t see any of them. I made it a point to miss every one of them because I found the idea so highly offensive.

• Pennagirl says:

Jack Klugman deserved to be in that list too..two shows..The Odd Couple and Quincy.

• Ruby says:

I think…I think I have many more things to worry about in life than how loud the clapping is at an in-memoriam segment on the Emmys.

11. JBS says:

And there’s the Modern Family win

12. cj says:

breaking bad should be sweeping every year. But I guess it’s gotten too popular and the Emmys likes to pick shows either no one watches or that they feel are going to break out soon.

13. Talk about a “four-peat” for Modern Family. Guess no other sitcoms is going to topple that.

14. cj says:

Good for Anna Gunn. Homeland shouldn’t be getting this many wins. It’s not THAT great.

15. Eliza says:

Yessss Breaking Bad! Absolutely, positively well deserved!

16. Happy to see Breaking Bad finally taking home an Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series. Hope they can do it again next year for the show’s final season.

• JBC says:

I’ll second that. Breaking Bad is so well written and acted, it’s amazing. I only discovered it this summer on Netflix and am sure happy I did.

17. Stephanie says:

Modern Family wins again, why am I not surprised?

18. Melissa says:

Really? Dancing with the Stars for Choreography? Have the Emmy voters not watched So You Think You Can Dance at all????

• Alice says:

Maybe the Emmy voters just don’t like contemporary- does everyone vote on every category or do only the dance people vote? It’s not a style that non-dancers really understand. Normally I’d roll my eyes at Derek winning- but the two dances he was nominated for are my favorites from 17 seasons of DWTS- he had an Olympic gymnast for a partner and they were very good- and they had the advantage of being set to fast music rather than the really scary songs some of those SYTYCD pieces are set to. Or maybe they just vote based on glitter.

19. Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    Breaking Bad won an Emmy Award for Oustanding Drama Series. I’m proud of the winners.

20. Leondre says:

Even though I wanted 30 Rock to win, I’m just glad The Big Bang Theory DIDN’T win Best Comedy

21. Jerry says:

I am not surprised Modern Family scored another win. I think they had a few REALLY GOOD episodes this year (like “Arrested”, which I thought might probably be the best episode the entire series), even though most of the rest of the episodes are a quite mediocre. That is what happens, they submit the few very good episodes, and they got judged on their very best episodes. No surprise there.

The Big Bang Theory might score consistently more laughs than Modern Family, but there is no fight comparing the best episodes of The Big Bang Theory to the best episodes of Modern Family, season on season.

And of course you have the rest like 30 Rock, Veep, and Girls. (Do people honestly think those can win?)

At least they awarded the acting awards to other shows.

22. Leah says:

That was the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. Happiest about Meritt, Hale, and Colbert. JLD is amazing, no question, BUT…when is Amy Poehler going to get what she deserves!? Jon Hamm, too. Hasn’t Amy lost 8 or 9 times now? Hamm can’t be very far behind.

23. Leah says:

I still maintain the whole thing is moot. No Parks and Rec nomination? No Tatiana? :p

24. Babybop says:

At least not EVERY award went to Modern Family… Though I will never understand the logic behind Modern Family winning every freakin’ year, when Parks and Rec is never even nominated.

Can we have a Parks and Recreation win next year, please?

25. Ruby says:

I was most hopeful for Top of the Lake, Zachary Quinto, Vera Farmiga, and Sarah Poulson. Too bad for me, I guess. I think someone on Modern Family is doing sexual favors or something for them to have won so many times when there are shows FAR more deserving. SO SICK of seeing them win.

26. Ruby says:

Oh, I was very happy for Colbert though. His gloating on his show will be EPIC. Also he seemed so genuinely moved. I always think The Daily Show deserves its win, but it was nice to see a change, and to such a lovely man.

27. Liz985 says:

Years ago, when I was an undergrad studying film and television, I volunteered to assist with the Emmy screening (pre-voting). I was assigned to a make-up category and ran the clips of the nominees for a group of about 10 people. They spent virtually no time looking at the clips and wanted me to move faster by fast-forwarding. It’s always left me with a bad taste regarding awards shows, particularly the Emmys. There’s really no logic to who wins. It’s a popularity contest combined with laziness on the part of the academy voters. Viewers and fans know who the real winners are.

28. Awesome that Modern Family won again. Congrats to Jim Parsons too.

Also great that Glee didn’t win anything. Maybe people are finally realizing that show has worn out its welcome years ago.

29. Chloe says:

Very disappointed Kerry Washington didn’t win, I love Scandal & Homeland, but I feel like it was Scandal’s season this year & Homeland’s last year. Anyway there’s always next year *fingers crossed*..

30. Goku says:

I don’t get it. Amy Poehler? Didn’t win. Elisabeth Moss? Didn’t win. Even Jessica Lange didn’t win. Emmy’s voters must’ve been drunk, bribed or blind.

31. c says:

I’m really glad Jeff Daniels won, his work in Newsroom is brilliant

32. Pickle8182 says:

Except for the acceptance speeches and Bob Hope, what a lame show. So disappointed. Disjointed, couldn’t tell who even won a couple times. How can I not like a show with NPH? I love him! But he wasn’t on enough. :(

33. Tahonia says:

I was most happy with Jeff Daniels’ win. Brilliant work with brilliant material.

34. Donna says:

Should have been Bryan Cransten for BB, Jeff D is a great actor, but GET rid of the gum….. low class…..at least put it under your tongue…

35. HumanObserver says:

So Game Of Thrones, with it’s cast of mostly superior actors and actresses and next level writing won nothing? Claire Danes for best actress in a drama was the only right choice made on the show. GOT should have gotten the award for best drama by far, and picked at least a couple in best actor in drama, best supporting actor and actress in a drama, best directing in drama, and best writing in drama. These awards are definitely meaningless.

36. Mikael says:

I’m happy Claire Danes won. If not her, I was pulling for Vera Farminga because she’s really great on Bates Motel. I’m so happy for Julia Louis Dreyfus; I’ve gotten really into Veep recently and she’s consistently hilarious. Her acceptance speech was awesome, including the cut to Anna Chlumsky in character. I’m happy for Tony Hale too. I’ve only recently gotten into the Newsroom and I think Jeff Daniels does a great job. I’m happy he won too.

37. AJ says:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Jeff Daniels won his Emmy last night for season one of The Newsroom which aired Summer 2012. I believe the Emmy eligibility period for the 2013 emms was from June 1st 2012-May 31st 2013. Which means it is season 1 of The Newsroom that falls into that, not season 2. I only say this because I am reading a lot of things that imply that Jeff Daniels won for season 2, but I believe season 2 began in July and therefore was not eligible for this years Emmys.

38. karkar says:

I heard that Nathan Fillion appeared on stage at the Emmy’s. Who was he on with? If I knew he was there, i would of watched the show!

39. What you may ought to do to discover more about babyliss before you’re abandoned.