Ratings: ABC's Friday Comedies Return Down, Shark Tank Premiere Dips But Tops Night

JAMES MCDONALD AND COLE EGGER (SWEET BALLZ)ABC’s Shark Tank premiere made the most of this Friday’s pre-season chum, winning the night with 6.7 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating.

While that demo delivery marks a dip of one tenth from the series’ year-ago opener (6.4 mil/1.8), the total audience represents a series high for a premiere.

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

Opening ABC’s night, Last Man Standing (6.6 mil/1.5) was down 17 and 25 percent from its sophomore premiere and off 15 percent and a tenth from its March finale.

Leading out of that, The Neighbors were welcomed to their new Friday home by 4.6 million viewers and a 1.2 rating — aka less than half of its series debut (which aired on a Wednesday, out of Modern Family) and down 16 and 20 percent from its freshman finale.

Versus its time slot predecessor, The Neighbors fell well shy of both Malibu Country‘s debut (9 mil/2.3) and finale (7 mil/1.4).

The CW’s Perfect Score (770K/0.2) and Top Model (1 mil/0.4) each dipped a tenth.

COMING NEXT FRIDAY: Undercover Boss, Hawaii Five-O and Blue Bloods return. MasterChef Junior premieres.

1. Larry says:

Fridays overall ratings are dismal. It will be interesting what happens with the night when all the networks push new product over the next few weeks.

2. elr says:

I totally forgot about The Neighbors starting back up. It was the only program that I was going to watch out for on Fridays and I totally blew it. [smacks head]

3. Andy says:

To be fair, I think many viewers were unaware of the new season starting this week. Once people get back into the tv viewing mode, things will pick up.

4. Lev says:

I like Neighbors and didn’t realize it was gong to be on Friday and missed it..

5. Mel says:

Didn’t even know new stuff was on last night. On Fridays I am looking forward to Raising Hope, Grimm, and Dracula.

• Ron says:

I’m kinda looking forward to Dracula, too. However, if there’s any justice, Fox will move Raising Hope back to Tuesdays in place of the awful Dads. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is actually a decent show and deserves a good lead-in. This is where Raising Hope comes into play…

• Mel says:

ITA. Move Raising Hope. I watched the Dad’s pilot and could not believe Fox even allowed this to air. I realize the fathers are supposed to be a pain in their son’s butts, but it wasn’t even funny pain in the butt, it was “I can’t believe you are screwing with my livelihood” pain in the butt. No offense to the well-accomplished actors, Peter Reigert and Martin Mull, but they should NOT be doing comedy, or they should get better writers. YIKES!

6. tlh45 says:

Should of left CSI NY on Friday…I’d of been watching then!

7. Boiler says:

So will ABC be upset they cancelled Malibu Country? Know I am. People underestimate the power of Reba

• Ron says:

I actually was kinda shocked when ABC decided to cancel Malibu Country. I find it interesting that from its series premier (9 million) to its series finale (7 million), it dropped 2 million viewers. Yet after dropping 2 million viewers, it still had more viewers than any of ABC’s Friday premiers. And it’s likely that the total viewers won’t jump too much for any of these shows. I can see a potential increase in viewers for The Neighbors, but not a jump to 7 million, and definitely not to 9 million. And I don’t think Malibu Country’s demo rating was that much different that LMS. I know people said the cancellation for MC could go either way, but I thought it had performed well enough to warrant at least a mid-season pick up, so I was shocked when ABC cancelled it. You’re right: Reba has star power that ABC completely underestimated.

8. Terry says:

Does ABC just hate Neighbors? There was very little promotion of the season premier, and most people I know that like the show didn’t know it was even. Luckily I had my dvr set and caught it and it was hilarious! I have watched 3 of the new ABC comedies before their premier on Yahoo and Neighbors was funnier than all of them together! Come on ABC, you have a funny show, give it a chance!

9. Susan says:

We caught The Neighbors by sheer accident. It was great! ABC did not promote it :(

10. Eric says:

And ABC cancelled Malibu Country and kept a The Neighbors because????