Medical Comedy Starring Community's Ken Jeong Lands at NBC -- Is Chang Checking Out?

Ken jeongThat’s Dr. Chang to you.

NBC is developing a medical-themed comedy series starring Community scene-stealer Ken Jeong, TVLine has confirmed.

VIDEO | Community Creator Dan Harmon Previews Donald Glover’s ‘Devastating’ Exit

The multi-cam project, tentatively titled Dr. Ken, is loosely based on Jeong’s early days as a licensed physician.

According to Deadline, feature writer Jared Stern (The Internship) is penning the script.

Community producer Sony Pictures TV is behind the potential series, so if Dr. Ken ends up getting a green light and if Community continues past this season it’s likely Jeong could juggle both shows.

1. SetPhasersToLoveMe says:

Happy for Ken, he deserves to have his own show, the guy is so funny. I really hope Dr. Ken happens!

2. Eddie says:

I was interested until “multi-cam project” CBS have ruined that format with “Two & A Half Men”, “The Big Bang Theory”, “How I Met Your Mother”… you get my drift.

• Cherry says:

You’ve just listed 3 of the most successful television comedies.

• Steven says:

Doesn’t mean they’re good. How I Met your Mother is a shadow of it’s former self. Two and a Half Men has always been nothing but crude fart and sex jokes and Big Bang Theory does nothing but enforce stereotypes of nerds. I know Mike and Molly wasn’t mentioned here, but all it is is fat jokes. CBS comedies are almost always terrible. Just look at the trailers for The Millers and We are Men. Awful.

• Joker says:

Why So Serious?

• Eddie says:

Thank you, Steven, I did mean M&M as well as “2 Broke Girls” (the worst of them all)

• peter barry says:

two of the worst comedies on tv are big bang and two and a half men.they are not funny.

• DL says:

Big Bang is funny, but it’s also formulaic, and the humor is more based on line gags than character-driven situations. Even when humor arises out of a funny character moment, the focus is always on delivering a funny, clever line to “cap” that moment. At least, that’s how I often feel when I watch the show.
            For example, Sheldon and Leonard have a bantering argument; Sheldon caps it with a zinger and walks away to end the scene. Or Leonard and Penny are having a relationship discussion; Leonard says something stupid, and Penny bites back with a zinger, putting him in his place; cue laughter, end scene. Feels like those scenarios and comedy moments built around little quips happen all the time. Not uncommon in other multi-cam coms either.

• Quinn Mallory says:

HIMYM is not a standard multi-camera in all the cutaway scenes that they do, which makes the show fresh.

3. Ryan says:

I hope so. I’ve never really found the Chang character to be very funny.

4. Katherine says:

From Ken Jeong on Twitter:

“I will never leave Community. I will always Chang the world.”

5. roderk says:

Origin Dammit Jim, I’m a Doctor not a Spanish teacher.

6. Doug says:

The title is obviously a typo. It must be called Dr. Kevin.

7. Chris says:

If he left Community I wouldn’t be upset. I find him and the character of Chang very annoying, and after season 3 they clearly had no idea what to do with him story wise

8. Sam says:

Ken Jeong is under the impression that loud = comedy. Frankly, I’d like to see his project land at USA or TBS. Not only do those seem like better fits for his brand of humor, but it also wouldn’t take up space where NBC could find another great comedy.

9. M says:

Funny story, Ken Jeong is an actual doctor. Like went to medical school and everything. Go Blue Devils!

10. Dima says:

Are you guys kidding me?! Chang is a great character and actor, one of the funniest. I don’t understand how you can not like Abed, chang or Dean. However, he won’t leave Community and this is good, he is an important character…