Medical Comedy Starring Community's Ken Jeong Lands at NBC — Is Chang Checking Out?

Get More: News

Ken jeongThat’s Dr. Chang to you.

NBC is developing a medical-themed comedy series starring Community scene-stealer Ken Jeong, TVLine has confirmed.

VIDEO | Community Creator Dan Harmon Previews Donald Glover’s ‘Devastating’ Exit

The multi-cam project, tentatively titled Dr. Ken, is loosely based on Jeong’s early days as a licensed physician.

According to Deadline, feature writer Jared Stern (The Internship) is penning the script.

Community producer Sony Pictures TV is behind the potential series, so if Dr. Ken ends up getting a green light and if Community continues past this season it’s likely Jeong could juggle both shows.

Comments (22)

• Happy for Ken, he deserves to have his own show, the guy is so funny. I really hope Dr. Ken happens!

Comment by SetPhasersToLoveMe – September 21, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was interested until “multi-cam project” CBS have ruined that format with “Two & A Half Men”, “The Big Bang Theory”, “How I Met Your Mother”… you get my drift.

Comment by Eddie – September 21, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’ve just listed 3 of the most successful television comedies.

Comment by Cherry – September 21, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Doesn’t mean they’re good. How I Met your Mother is a shadow of it’s former self. Two and a Half Men has always been nothing but crude fart and sex jokes and Big Bang Theory does nothing but enforce stereotypes of nerds. I know Mike and Molly wasn’t mentioned here, but all it is is fat jokes. CBS comedies are almost always terrible. Just look at the trailers for The Millers and We are Men. Awful.

Comment by Steven – September 21, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Why So Serious?

Comment by Joker – September 21, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you, Steven, I did mean M&M as well as “2 Broke Girls” (the worst of them all)

Comment by Eddie – September 22, 2013 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • two of the worst comedies on tv are big bang and two and a half men.they are not funny.

Comment by peter barry – September 22, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Big Bang is funny, but it’s also formulaic, and the humor is more based on line gags than character-driven situations. Even when humor arises out of a funny character moment, the focus is always on delivering a funny, clever line to “cap” that moment. At least, that’s how I often feel when I watch the show.
            For example, Sheldon and Leonard have a bantering argument; Sheldon caps it with a zinger and walks away to end the scene. Or Leonard and Penny are having a relationship discussion; Leonard says something stupid, and Penny bites back with a zinger, putting him in his place; cue laughter, end scene. Feels like those scenarios and comedy moments built around little quips happen all the time. Not uncommon in other multi-cam coms either.

Comment by DL – September 22, 2013 01:04 PM PDT
    • HIMYM is not a standard multi-camera in all the cutaway scenes that they do, which makes the show fresh.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – September 22, 2013 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope so. I’ve never really found the Chang character to be very funny.

Comment by Ryan – September 21, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you Ryan. I always found Chang to be the most annoying and useless character on Community. Nice to know I’m not alone.

Comment by opus – September 21, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are absolutely NOT alone! Chang is the worst.

Comment by Rain – September 23, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was about to say that myself, thank you

Comment by c – September 21, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me either, and I love Ken Jeong. His storylines haven’t been great the last couple seasons, and his character has gotten progressively more irritating.

Comment by Kristina – September 21, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he’s funny at times; however, only in a limited capacity. Don’t know if I could watch him for a full 22 minutes. But who knows, he may be a better actor than we give him credit.

Comment by Mel – September 22, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From Ken Jeong on Twitter:

“I will never leave Community. I will always Chang the world.”

Comment by Katherine – September 21, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Origin Dammit Jim, I’m a Doctor not a Spanish teacher.

Comment by roderk – September 21, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The title is obviously a typo. It must be called Dr. Kevin.

Comment by Doug – September 21, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If he left Community I wouldn’t be upset. I find him and the character of Chang very annoying, and after season 3 they clearly had no idea what to do with him story wise

Comment by Chris – September 21, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ken Jeong is under the impression that loud = comedy. Frankly, I’d like to see his project land at USA or TBS. Not only do those seem like better fits for his brand of humor, but it also wouldn’t take up space where NBC could find another great comedy.

Comment by Sam – September 22, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny story, Ken Jeong is an actual doctor. Like went to medical school and everything. Go Blue Devils!

Comment by M – September 23, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you guys kidding me?! Chang is a great character and actor, one of the funniest. I don’t understand how you can not like Abed, chang or Dean. However, he won’t leave Community and this is good, he is an important character…

Comment by Dima – September 25, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post