Ratings: X Factor Hits Low, Old Bangs Top Night

Ratings X Factor Series LowCan Fox stem its loss of X appeal?

The X Factor this Thursday night drew just north of 6 million viewers while scoring a 1.9 demo rating — down 12 and 14 percent week-to-week to hit all-time lows for the singing competition.

Over on NBC, the Million Second Quiz finale did 5.4 mil and a 1.4, up 10 and 27 percent from its penultimate outing. NBC News’ Valerie Harper profile led out of that with 4.4 mil/1.0, the Peacock’s largest audience in the time slot since July 4.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s X Factor Recap: Putting the ‘Lose’ in Louisiana

ABC’s Wipeout ended its latest run with 4.4 mil and a 1.2, up 13 percent and even with its previous finale. Leading out of that, you had the most watched Grey’s Anatomy repeat (5.1 mil/1.4) in three years, as the superstorm swept Seattle again, while Scandal‘s encore outing of Fitz’s mistress (4.1 mil/1.2) served up the drama’s second-best rerun numbers ever.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Grey’s, Scandal and 43 Other Returning Faves

Speaking of encores, the 8 o’clock Big Bang Theory repeat drew Thursday’s biggest audience (8.8 mil), while the hitcom’s 9 pm rerun delivered the night’s best demo rating (2.2).

COMING NEXT THURSDAY: Parks and Recreation, The Big Bang Theory, Glee, Grey’s Anatomy, Two and a Half Men, Elementary and Parenthood return. The Crazy Ones and The Michael J. Fox Show premiere.

1. Fran says:

If FOX still has a brain they’ll keep Bones where it is and move X-Factor to Friday’s. If it’s getting a 1.9 with absolutely no competition, it will easily get 1.5 when all shows come back.

• Sarah says:

@Fran

If not that then a) move Bones and Glee to Wednesday and have the X Factor on Thursday and Friday or b) move Bones to Wednesday and have the X Factor for an hour on Wednesday and Thursday and the results show on Friday.

2. DJ says:

How low can X-Factor go?! Limbo time!

3. EJ says:

I wish Simon would just go back to American Idol and be on a panel with Kelly Clarkson, Adam Lambert and Melinda Dolittle. The X Factor simply hasn’t worked over here.

• Goam says:

I wish Simon would just go back to the UK and stay there. He’s like wilted toast in a warmed over breakfast buffet, he just sits there and gets soggier as the hours go by. His schtick is done, its time to send him back to old Blighty where he can engage in his compensated relationships away from the spotlight, I’m tired of the old lecher.

• Brenna says:

You may just get your wish, if the ratings are this bad against repeats just imagine what they’ll be like when the regular programming starts up. I admit I tuned in for a bit but had to turn it off. Demi annoys me on so many levels. Kelly’s Ok. Can’t understand a single word Paulina says. And I used to find Simon hilarious but now he just makes me roll my eyes. Plus I still think it was lousy that he punted Brittney after one season because she didn’t provide the train wreck he was hoping for. That was low.

• Tess says:

He got rid of Britney because she couldn’t speak in front of a camera – which is kind of necessary when you’re meant to be a judge on a reality show. Had nothing to do with whether she was a train wreck (though in a way, she was for the show, since she couldn’t manage to actually critique the contestants).

• Brenna says:

what I meant was Simon hired her because he was hoping she would have a colossal meltdown on live tv and thus generate buzz for his sh-tty show. I think that’s despicable.

• Terry says:

I wish Simon would GTFO my TV screen all together, if I never see his smug mug ever again it will be too soon!

• St says:

Nah. He will never do it. It will be embarrassing for him. I think that after XFactor will be canceled for season 4 Simon will just do something else. Or will take a pause and will spent his millions.

4. WhatDidYouExpect says:

X does NOT mark the spot.

5. Chablis says:

Admittedly I don’t watch BBT but I am amazed by the amount of viewers who watch reruns of this show. Don’t get it?

• Margie says:

I think if you’d give the show a try you would get it. It is a very funny show and I watch the reruns all the time because it is just a great show.

• John says:

Good one-liners delivered by talented people are more easily repeated than a serialized drama where the “seen that” makes viewing repeats a lot less entertaining.

Some jokes bear repeating… so while I’ll watch a comedy repeat it’s rare I’ll watch a drama repeat.

• c-mo says:

BBT is one of a very few shows for which I can watch re-runs, I love this show!

6. Ron says:

So freaking excited for the return of Parks & Rec next week!!!! I hope it doesn’t suffer too much going against BBT, which is such a mediocre show compared to P&R. But I can’t fault BBT for getting killer ratings. I just hope NBC realizes it has a huge gem with P&R. I guess I’m biased, but I just don’t understand how people would rather watch BBT over P&R — this coming from a casual BBT watcher. BBT was decently good its first few seasons, but it has dropped so far off since about season 3 or 4, whereas P&R continues to get better and better.

• Eddie says:

I thin this will be the season P&R ratings WILL improve!! Idk why, but I just have a good feeling. It should do well as the lead-in for MJF’s TV comeback!

7. I tried to watch the X Factor but I just couldn’t do it. Silly me, I thought it was supposed to be about the talent of the people coming to compete. I could not care less who they are with or how far they traveled to get to the show. Could we maybe hear some of them sing? That would really be a change and it might be a reason to watch the show. Or is there just so little real talent showing up that they are showing everyone worth seeing, in which case I have to ask why they even bother.

8. Scott says:

I think X Factor will be cancelled after the end of this year. As a nation, we’re just tired and done with all of these singing competition shows. Even Idol took a dip in the ratings back in January, and if NBC continues to air Voice twice a year, it too will take a dive.

I think part of the reason X Factor is sinking lower is because it’s now only a $1 million contract instead of $5 million, so the show doesn’t stand out as much, in comparison to its competition. Also, the judge panel isn’t as good. Aside from Simon, I have no idea who the other three people are, and frankly, I could care less.

Whatever happened to FOX’s old slogan in the 90s? “When it comes to TV, give me what I wanna see.” I want the old FOX back. =(

• Terry says:

Plus the winner of season 1, Melanie Amaro, still has not ever gotten to release an album. They promised something they never delivered.

9. shisha says:

Xfactor Judges are doing a great job overall the show is good! Also Simon could have brought on another male judge instead of an unknown to the USA Paulina Rubio! Give the shows new formant and judges a chance. Its a shame that only the so called bigger named entertainers will bring in the ratings!

10. takatomon says:

It’s rather saddening to see the ratings dip like that but the reality is just this. Public wants big names so to not know who Paulina Rubio is rather understandable. Honestly, this is the best panel of judges I’ve seen so far and I just think it’s really bad timing and luck. Also with the saturation of singing shows out there, don’t be surprised if Voice gets a dip as well as Idol (as shown already).

Maybe it’s me but this season is not advertised all that much, if anything. Last year there was appearances on Jimmy Kimmel and Conan O’Brien and a whole bunch of other interviews, this year there isn’t much of that.