King & Maxwell Cancelled After One Season

King and Maxwell CancelledTNT is closing the book on King & Maxwell after one season.

The freshman drama, based on characters from David Baldacci novels and starring Jon Tenney (The Closer) and Rebecca Romijn (Ugly Betty), premiered to 3.5 million total viewers and averaged 3.1 over its run, typically shedding a full third of its Major Crimes lead-in.

The news comes just a day after TNT ordered Stephen Bochco’s Taye Diggs-fronted Murder in the First to series.

RELATED | TNT Renews Major Crimes and Two Other Dramas

King & Maxwell‘s season/series finale aired Aug. 12; TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated. Franklin & Bash now stands as the only TNT drama series in limbo.

RELATED | TNT Renews Major Crimes and Two Other Dramas

Tenney, it was reported by TVLine earlier this week, next can be seen reprising his role as Major Crimes‘ Fritz Howard in a December episode of the TNT crime drama.

1. Jimmy says:

It was an OK show, but very forgettable.

2. Matt says:

Darn shame. Needed more light programming like this.

3. Chris M. says:

What were the books the show was based on ?

4. Ram510 says:

I figured when they announced Tenney was going back to Major Crimes that sealed K&M fate

5. Alienate says:

As a reader of all Baldacci’s works, I was VERY disappointed with the show. The 2 leads were just caricatures of the “real” King & Maxwell, and the Edgar character was just absurd.
    Good characters with good writing and good plots like Longmire, and even the new Sleepy Hollow, are what’s worth watching.

6. Mel says:

Boo TNT! If it weren’t for Falling Skies, Dallas and Franklin and Bash, I’d say screw you, but I’m not one to cut off my nose to spite my face. I really enjoyed King & Maxwell. It got really good by the end and I was hoping to see more next summer. Oh well, life is full of cancellation disappointments. :(

7. Zach says:

Why is everyone bashing Rebecca Romijn? I thought she did a good job.

8. kath says:

I really liked this show. It was a lot of fun, and Edgar was a great characdter.

Much better writing than Under The Dome, which inexplicably got a second season.

9. Dee Karvois says:

I really liked this show… I know they didn’t do a lot of advertising.

10. Benington says:

I agree…it started out slow but definitely improved in all areas. I absolutely loved the character of Edgar. He made the show and they when they started pairing him with Benny, who had such a wonderful chemistry with him (not sexual but you never know). Those were my favorite scenes. Oh well!!

11. Winnie says:

Does this mean that Rebecca Romjin will do some more NTSF:SD:SUV:: and bring some storylines from King & Maxwell with her?

12. What is wrong with TNT first they cancel Leverage now this? Do you have something against good shows? I am not happy about this I really liked this show and if they had given it a little bit more time I think it would have done really well. TV Networks nowadays do not back their shows and do not give them a chance. They all can’t be #1 hits but damn let us have something… I swear this all or nothing mentality that we live in has got to stop. What happened to moderation there is nothing wrong with being in the middle.

13. LynnH says:

Oh damn. I really enjoyed this show. I don’t think I’ll he watching any more shows on TNT. They don’t seem to know how to schedule in a way that gives a new show a fighting chance. So long Sean, Michelle, and Edgar. You too, Rigby. And Benny! I’ll miss you.

14. Cat says:

Biggest shame ever! This show and Rizzoli & Isles combined with Castle reruns started to bring me over from USA to TNT. The season of Franklin & Bash is still sitting in my DVR, unwatched, but I watched King & Maxwell the morning after it aired (work overnights). By the way, Edgar stole the show.

15. Cathy says:

Thought it was slow at the beginning, but it really picked up. I wondered after they said Tenney was going to be back on Major Crimes for an episode. Ryan Hurst’s character was the best. Wish someone else would pick it up.

16. tara17 says:

It’s the first time I hear of this show, I would have checked it out.

17. ACotton says:

It all started with October Road on ABC years back. I’m tired of shows being cancelled, especially for the apparently-non-loved-by-the-networks older demographic watchers. King and Maxwell wasn’t a great show, but it certainly was fun to watch, and I loved the Edgar character. I think the female lead could have been better; but as I said, it was fun, and I looked forward to next summer. I for one am tired of all the reality crap (with the exception of The Amazing Race, So You Think You Can Dance, and a few others) taking over. And if the networks are going to cancel a show, then stop giving us cliffhangers – just like A&E did with The Glades…2 days after the season finale there was word of it being yanked off the air! Truly, I’m not interested in getting involved in any of the new shows for the fall due to the potential of quick cancellation. I’ve got movies and will continue my reading. I may only be one person to the networks, but I know I’m not the only one out there who’s unhappy with what’s going on.

18. marcy says:

They should have keep the Michelle character closeer to the character in the book. A darker edge would have been nice. Ryan Hurst and Jon Tenney were good

19. Kimm says:

Well hot dang! I loved this show. TNT didn’t give it a chance.

20. Val says:

Love the Baldacci series so was thrilled with the arrival of K & M.  Sadly yet another series I really enjoyed axed before it really had a chance to develop. For some reason it reminded me of another long gone favorite “Silk Stalkings” which had great chemistry between leads. K & M was a bit too subtle in this. Agree that Ryas Hurst was outstanding in his role.

21. JT says:

That is a really bad new. This was a good show. But also is true than Jon Tenney was the only good character, he deserves a show alone. The character of Rebecca Romijn was very bad written. She was more a secondary tan a main character.

22. Well once again this is WHY I REFUSE to get attached to ANY of these TV shows that are on today, because one minute they’re here, and the next they are gone. But all the AWFUL reality shows remain here FOREVER!!!!! Ugh, I really DO hate the people that call the shots at these TV stations. King & Maxwell was good 2 me, but apparently our good friends at TNT didn’t agree, and whatever they say obviously goes. :(

23. monieet says:

Networks always cancel the GOOD shows. This show should get a season two. Franklin and Bash has had it; boring season. Again, who is making these decisions.

24. TONY BLUIS says:

I LIKED THE SHOW AND THE FORMAT OF 2 EX SECRET SERVICE AGENTS WORKING TOGETHER IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR. MAYBE TOO MUCH TIME WAS SPENT TRYING TO SOLVE THE REASON FOR THEIR FIRING. HOPE ANOTHER NETWORK IS SMART ENOUGH TO REVIVE THIS SHOW.

25. N says:

This made me so upset. King & Maxwell was an amazing show. I fell completely in love with it after each new episode and maybe a lot of people didn’t like it and ok think whatever you want but I don’t see how you can’t like it! Each new episode had an amazing plot and Sean Kings past was a reoccurring theme that led up to an amazing, mind-blowing season finale that had me on the edge of my seat during the entire thing. I thought the characters were absolutely brilliant and the show shouldn’t have been cancelled.

26. ruth reifert says:

I loved the show King and Maxwell and Edgar was very entertaining. So many bad shows on TV today. Reality shows suck, most of the major crime shows are boring and some really gory. Don’t you think we get enough reality in the news. I like to be entertained with
    something laid back with some humor in it. TV in general sucks.

27. Keri Love says:

I don’t know what you guys are talking about? The show was amazing and I loved the characters! I hope TNT doesn’t let us down again…

28. Damn I liked the show. I learned it was cancelled from Sidereel. I’m going to miss Rebecca Romijn and Dichen Lachman. They were smoking!!

29. precisely?
    shazaam
    thanks a ton
    bingo
    wonderful
    notable
    shared
    liked
    loved
    and 1
    this
    that’s it
    excellent
    is this original?
    did you write this?
    why
    shareable
    explain
    expand upon
    need more
    thank-you
    require contact details
    should have contact details
    just how do i contact youwill not work in Opera
    will not load in Safari
    Style sheet is messed up
    broken link
    dang popups
    originated from Bing
    came from Google
    Reddit helped bring me here
    found on reddit
    take a look at all this spam
    a good amount of spam
    definitely
    sentence structure
    not that bad
    app please
    any applications?

30. Tara says:

I really liked this show. Too bad it got cancelled. I hope to see Jon Tenney in something else soon.

31. cathie says:

This really stinks,.. I will miss this show alot. I FEEl cHARACTERS WERE JUST STARTing TO MEsh and come together as a team! This series has caused me to check the books from the library to get into the characters better, love the show and love the books, i hate it when the networks do this!!

32. Mikey says:

They need to bring it back and keep it for ten seasons

33. bb says:

Never even knew this show was on the air till hearing it plugged while listening to the latest K&M book. I’ll bet it would have done much better had it been advertised widely as a Baldacci creation.

34. Niko says:

Sorry to find the show was not renewed. My wife and I enjoyed it, and were looking forward to a second season.

35. dx says:

This is really too bad! This show attracted far more viewers than Boston’s Finest. It has all the elements required to cultivate and retain an audience. I’m so sorry TNT made this choice!

36. Pam says:

Oh no. My husband and I loved this show, especially Edgar. Please won’t you reconsider and bring them back? Please!!

37. Ken says:

It is truly unfortunate that this show has been cancelled! Unfortunately mindless garbage attracts far more mindless viewers than good programming! TV programming is rapidly becoming a mental, moral and ethical waste land!

38. Sherry says:

I really liked the show. None of the channels give any new shows a fair chance anymore. You start watching them, get into them, the they decide to cancel the show and it just leaves you hanging, How many people have to watch the shows before they cancel.

39. soledad says:

I liked the show it was great I want more please!

40. Karen says:

I really enjoyed this show! It wasn’t even given a fair chance . . . TV is SO fickle and I am SO tired of having my favorite shows cancelled!

41. K.Thurman says:

Actually from 3.5 down to 3.1 is only a 10.12% drop, not a one-third drop. To get a one-third loss, viewership would have had to drop off by 1.16 million, leaving the average at 2.33 million. Seems weird to end a show because of 10%. If it had actually been one third, then yeah, I could see it.

42. Charlotte Kenan says:

To TNT: Bring this show back! Good actors, good stories, good writing, good banter between principle characters. Altogether very entertaining. What were you thinking?! Need to give King and Maxwell more than just a summer season to catch on.
    To CBS: I understand you produced this program. So just get it placed on another network. To heck with TNT!

43. Steven says:

Another TNT scre up, They would rather have “reality TV” crap than a show like this. You can’t put a show like this up against any CBS show. Most NBC/ABC shows, this would have blown it out of the water. I wish TNT Executives would look at the replies here!

• Alf says:

Why would TNT cancel this show? Was looking forward to its next season. Reality TV bites, and it seems like that is what knocks great TV shoes off the air.

44. Mary C. Williams says:

I can’t beleive it! I really liked this show! Good chemistry, loved Edgar; I can’t understand them canceling it. I have it DVR’d so I would never miss the show….please reconsider?????

45. ned mittle says:

recorded final episode of king and maxwell so I could watch it just before the new season.Since there won’t be one I guess I’ll watch it now.Another fun show dumped!

• Sheaski says:

Reality TV seems to take over which sucks. I really enjoyed this show. TNT is really missing the boat on this one.

46. Debra RIggs says:

I was looking forward to season 2 also. King and Maxwell was a little lighter and we really enjoyed that. Such a shame since there are so many worthless shows on TV. I think TNT gave up on the show too soon! Their loss and ours!

47. Kenny Barclay says:

I like Major crimes more than I did the Closer and to me this show was better than Major Crimes. Really loved the guy would did the computer work (sorry I’m terrible at remembering names)

48. Claire says:

Please bring it back, TNT!

49. Heather Burt says:

I really wish TNT would bring back King and Maxwell! And I also agree that Jon Tenney deserves his own series!

50. Helen says:

My husband and I both loved these characters and this show. We also are so tired of the so called reality mindless waste of TV time. Could someone please launch a campaign to bombard TNT powers that be, with the suggestion to maybe correct their way of thinking.
    Just point me in the right direction and I’ll gladly join the push. I’m not sure where to go to contact them. Especially so that they would notice.