TNT Commits to Murder in the First, Orders Taye Diggs-Fronted Whodunnit Drama to Series

MURDER IN THE FIRSTTNT has handed out a 10-episode sentence to Murder in the First, a Stephen Bochco-produced drama series starring Private Practice‘s Taye Diggs and Boss‘ Kathleen Robertson.

Set in San Francisco, Murder — stop us if this sounds familiar — follows a single case across an entire season. Diggs and Robertson play homicide detectives Holder English (Diggs) and Linden Mulligan (Robertson) tasked with solving the mystery.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

The cast also includes Tom Felton (Harry Potter), Mimi Kirkland (Safe Haven), Raphael Sbarge (Once Upon a Time), Ian Anthony Dale (Hawaii Five-0), Bess Rous (What Just Happened) and Steven Weber (Dallas, Wings).

1. Miriam says:

Tom Felton in my TV Yayyy… And also Taye Diggs. I’m in

• Pérola Cardozo says:

Yes, I came to read for Taye, and stop on “Tom Felton” I miss him so much!!! And they failed to mention he was in the tv version of Labyrinth!

2. ” follows a single case across an entire season” like Murder One…

• Laura Aliaga says:

EXACTLY, it sounds like Bochco is trying to resurrect Murder One, which I’m ALL for, but not without Teddy (Daniel Benzali). And it was MUCH more interesting from the defense attorney’s side, but I’ll give this one a shot.

• Marc says:

I was about 13 years old when Murder One aired and I had to sneak to watch it but I loved it. It was a very new concept, one murder mystery over the course of one season and I thought that it was brilliant. I’m definitely going to watch this, hopefully, it’s a credible replacement.

3. Hollyelese says:

I could be mistaken, but haven’t these season-long procedurals not done so well? The Killing is the most recent I can think of.

4. Cherry says:

Good this can replace the Killing give us a season long mystery instead of a 2 year one.

5. DavidSask says:

Nice cast but the plot and length of it is questionable with hot not done well in past!

6. Cherry says:

I think it was done well in Veronica Mars. In that show we has a season long mystery but a case-of-the-week as well to keep interest.

7. Melian says:

Reminds me of Murder One from way back in 1995!!

8. Bella says:

Yes, that was my thought, too, Murder One. And that was a good series.

9. Ron says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who was reminded of Murder One when reading this. I would argue Bochco is trying to recreate MO since it wasn’t really successful in its initial run. Maybe he’s thinking it will be more on trend now. Who knows. I generally like Bochco’s work, so I’ll give it a go. I think I might enjoy the pacing.

10. LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) says:

I too was reminded of Murder One when reading this…although that one is more of a legal drama and I assume this is one is more crime drama? We shall see..

11. Just sayin says:

That’s a really interesting cast. Love Taye Diggs and excited to see what Tom Felton can do outside of HP.

12. Kristen says:

VERY excited!! I’ve been waiting for news on this!!

13. ghutch70 says:

As long as he can solve the murder without waking up everyday to solve it again like Daybreak, then I’m in

14. Chris says:

With Steven Weber it will be cancelled after one season, he has been the kiss of death lately with the exception of Dallas

15. Derek Johnson says:

At least the TNT audience will like the show more than the AMC audience liked the killing.

16. Kaycee says:

Does that mean that Ian Anthony Dale is off Hawaii 5-0?

17. Richard A. Lambert says:

Just watched the pilot. This show really sucks. The characters do not work well together. The story keeps going and going without a conclusion. Like I said, it really sucks.

18. Michelle says:

The most boring show on tv! It’s taking them the entire season to solve one murder. Give it the axe and bring back King and Maxwell.

19. donna says:

I find the main characters (the two cops) unlikeable and dull. I’m rooting for the bad guy to win. maybe then the two cops will be replaced by someone we can empathize with.