TNT Commits to Murder in the First, Orders Taye Diggs-Fronted Whodunnit Drama to Series

Get More: Series Orders

MURDER IN THE FIRSTTNT has handed out a 10-episode sentence to Murder in the First, a Stephen Bochco-produced drama series starring Private Practice‘s Taye Diggs and Boss‘ Kathleen Robertson.

Set in San Francisco, Murder — stop us if this sounds familiar — follows a single case across an entire season. Diggs and Robertson play homicide detectives Holder English (Diggs) and Linden Mulligan (Robertson) tasked with solving the mystery.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

The cast also includes Tom Felton (Harry Potter), Mimi Kirkland (Safe Haven), Raphael Sbarge (Once Upon a Time), Ian Anthony Dale (Hawaii Five-0), Bess Rous (What Just Happened) and Steven Weber (Dallas, Wings).

Comments (24)

• Tom Felton in my TV Yayyy… And also Taye Diggs. I’m in

Comment by Miriam – September 19, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I came to read for Taye, and stop on “Tom Felton” I miss him so much!!! And they failed to mention he was in the tv version of Labyrinth!

Comment by Pérola Cardozo – September 19, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ” follows a single case across an entire season” like Murder One…

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 19, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • EXACTLY, it sounds like Bochco is trying to resurrect Murder One, which I’m ALL for, but not without Teddy (Daniel Benzali). And it was MUCH more interesting from the defense attorney’s side, but I’ll give this one a shot.

Comment by Laura Aliaga – September 19, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was about 13 years old when Murder One aired and I had to sneak to watch it but I loved it. It was a very new concept, one murder mystery over the course of one season and I thought that it was brilliant. I’m definitely going to watch this, hopefully, it’s a credible replacement.

Comment by Marc – September 20, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could be mistaken, but haven’t these season-long procedurals not done so well? The Killing is the most recent I can think of.

Comment by Hollyelese – September 19, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This one is a 10 episode season, so it should fare better that the 20+ episode seasons do.

Comment by Daven – September 19, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they solve one, while solving the 10 episode one, at the same time. That would make sense. Kudos on a procedural set in San Francisco, finally. Like the cast.

Comment by prish – September 19, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Remember Monk?

Comment by Zach – September 20, 2013 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Broadchurch from the UK which is now airing on BBC America, is one murder case over the course of 8 episodes, and is fantastic. Top of The Lake is very good and only 7 episodes.

Comment by johnhelvete – September 19, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good this can replace the Killing give us a season long mystery instead of a 2 year one.

Comment by Cherry – September 19, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice cast but the plot and length of it is questionable with hot not done well in past!

Comment by DavidSask – September 19, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it was done well in Veronica Mars. In that show we has a season long mystery but a case-of-the-week as well to keep interest.

Comment by Cherry – September 19, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reminds me of Murder One from way back in 1995!!

Comment by Melian – September 19, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, that was my thought, too, Murder One. And that was a good series.

Comment by Bella – September 19, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad I’m not the only one who was reminded of Murder One when reading this. I would argue Bochco is trying to recreate MO since it wasn’t really successful in its initial run. Maybe he’s thinking it will be more on trend now. Who knows. I generally like Bochco’s work, so I’ll give it a go. I think I might enjoy the pacing.

Comment by Ron – September 19, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too was reminded of Murder One when reading this…although that one is more of a legal drama and I assume this is one is more crime drama? We shall see..

Comment by LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) – September 19, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a really interesting cast. Love Taye Diggs and excited to see what Tom Felton can do outside of HP.

Comment by Just sayin – September 19, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VERY excited!! I’ve been waiting for news on this!!

Comment by Kristen – September 19, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as he can solve the murder without waking up everyday to solve it again like Daybreak, then I’m in

Comment by ghutch70 – September 20, 2013 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With Steven Weber it will be cancelled after one season, he has been the kiss of death lately with the exception of Dallas

Comment by Chris – September 20, 2013 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least the TNT audience will like the show more than the AMC audience liked the killing.

Comment by Derek Johnson – September 20, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does that mean that Ian Anthony Dale is off Hawaii 5-0?

Comment by Kaycee – September 20, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His character left at the end of last season for witness protection.

Comment by Adrienne – September 20, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post