Scoop: Susan Sarandon to Guest on Mike & Molly

Susan Sarandon Mike and MollySusan Sarandon‘s got the write stuff for Mike & Molly.

The Academy Award-winning actress will guest star on an upcoming episode of the CBS sitcom’s fourth season, playing Molly’s idol JC Small, a literary icon with a beautiful mind and a tortured soul.

PHOTOS | New TV Season Predictions: Bones/SOA Deaths, Grey’s Contract Twist, P’hood Divorce & More

Described by producers as “part JD Salinger with a touch William Faulkner and a sprinkle of Gore Vidal,” JC will give Molly a wild and unforgettable writing lesson that will have ramifications for her entire family. Sarandon weighed in the news herself via Twitter, saying:

Sarandon’s last major TV gig found her playing a self-help author and motivational speaker on Season 3 of Showtime’s The Big C.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

Mike & Molly is slated to return at midseason.

Excited to see Sarandon go toe-to-toe with Oscar nominee Melissa McCarthy? Sound off in the comments!

1. Jimmy says:

Seems like an odd choice for Sarandon. Is she a fan or something? Don’t get me wrong, I like Mike & Molly, but this does seem like a step down for Sarandon.

2. TL says:

UGHHH. I enjoy Mike & Molly and it’s not that big of a deal that she does this guest role, HOWEVER, it further proves the lack of movie roles for women in Hollywood. C’mon people, she’s a MULTIPLE Oscar nominee and a WINNER!

• Phil says:

She appeared in several movies in 2012 and 2013, I doubt she’s doing tv guest spots because she has to. I think she has reached a point in her career where she just does what she wants. If she wants to work with Melissa McCarthy again she simply guest stars on her show instead of waiting for another project.

3. Abe Froman says:

Wow, what happened to Susan Sarandon? She’s an Oscar winning actress, and now she needs to appear on a mediocre sitcom? I even saw her on The Chew. #flatlinedcareer

4. JCK says:

Apparently she’s playing Melissa’s grandmother in a road trip movie as well. Which is ridiculous because there’s only 24 years difference in their ages.

5. tammie says:

when does show start back up.

6. LL says:

Love love love mike and Molly! Everyone on this show is wonderful,I can’t even say which one that I love best,even the little dog Jim will have your heart and have you laughing…love Peggy also! She is different but a must see.

7. Patricia nolan says:

I can’t wait for season 4 of mike and Molly to start best comedy on TV makes me laugh every time the whole cast is really funny

8. Judy Moses says:

Although I love Mike and Molly I think this year having almost the entire focus on Molly and she’s very funny, I think the show was funnier with the mother, sister and especially the mom’s new husband. I think the show has changed this year and it’s not as funny.

• Dave G says:

I agree with you. My wife and I stopped watching because they basically made Molly more ditsy and we liked her better when she was the smart anchor of the show. What was a very human comedy has become more slapstick and silly.