Copper Cancelled, Series Finale Airs Sunday

Copper Cancelled No Season 3Copper‘s Season 2 finale, airing this Sunday, will in fact be its series finale, BBC America has announced.

“After 23 episodes, with Lincoln dead and the nation starting to heal, it seems a fitting moment to conclude this American story,” BBC America GM Perry Simon explained in a statement.

RELATED | Orphan Black Creators Promise No ‘Throwaway Clones,’ Hint at Tiny Time Jump in Season 2

Simon added, “The opportunity to work with [executive producers] Tom Fontana, Barry Levinson, Will Rokos, Thomas Kelly and the extraordinary cast and crew on this journey is one that we are extremely proud of. Their vision to re-tell the immigrant experience through the melting pot of New York City was an original and fresh idea that melded well with the essence of BBC America’s programming.”

RELATED | Doctor Who Casts Torchwood Vet Peter Capaldi as New Time Lord — Yay or Nay?

In Sunday’s final episode, “The Place I Called My Home,” Detective Kevin Corcoran, Robert Morehouse and Doctor Matthew Freeman — still reeling from Lincoln’s assassination — decide to join a national effort once more, spurring memories from the battlefield, bringing back faces from the past and creating opportunity for Five Points chaos to continue unabated.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated.

1. Clamke says:

What the hell is Copper?

• Sara says:

A great show on BBC

• Micronian says:

I really liked the first few episode then it just got so bad. I really wanted to keep liking it too.

• S Reyna says:

Can you please tell us why you think this program “got so bad”? Not sure you are talking about the same show. Copper is amazing.

• Micronian says:

what because you disagree I must not be watching the same show? Why does any show become bad. Writing and direction being the cause here IMO. I love the producers and became fans of all the actors being that this was the first thing I’d seen many of them on. Well except Anastasia Griffith( Elizabeth Haverford) she was awful. As I said it had a strong start and around episode 4 it turned into crap. I was disappointed because it could have been great. I guess I’m not the only one who thought season 2 was bad seeing it’s been cancelled.

was that a good enough explanation for you?

• Mel says:

I think S Reyna was asking a legitimate question in a very polite way. Jeez Micronian, did your answer have to be so snarky? I was wondering what your reasoning was myself. I think Copper did have a slump period in the middle of the season last year, but I really enjoyed the addition of Donal Logue. To each his own.

• Marco says:

Because micronian refers to the size of “its” ability to process thought and visual stimuli simultaneously. season 2 of Copper was a gem. the acting, depth the characters and the sets were all an improvement over season one . The only character I was glad to see gone was ” Anna Rielly” the evil devil child.. A creepy portrayal and over acted.. The BBC’s statement that .”.now that Lincoln is dead … fitting moment to end, etc was absurd

• Robynn says:

Comment by Marco – February 18, 2014 01:36 PM PDT

I totally agree Marco!! This show is informative, action packed, very well written AND acted and I LOVE Anastasia Griffith. She played Elizabeth Haverford very well! GREAT show, it’s should have renewed for a third season. BBC America has lost it’s mind! And Micronian…chill out! It was just a question.

• Jerry says:

It was a great show until last nights final episode with the black doctor as a Simon La Gree character. The most disgustingly clueless episode in its brilliant albeit short run. I was embarrassed for the actor who had to bleed his soul out for that horribly condescending dialogue.

• Gloria Gonzales says:

What a disappointment. It was one of the very few quality shows on television and I was eagerly awaiting the beginning of the third series. I’m so bummed.

• Liz says:

They don’t care if we like it or not. Whenever I get to know there is a new show on that people really like, I start to watch and just when you really like it, these fools cancel it. My 15 year old grandson just stumbled onto it recently. He’s been catching up in his computer and yesterday, I had to tell him not to bother.

• holly tree says:

DUH!!! you must know what it is your on the webpage

• Lorraine says:

Copper is just yet another really good show that has been cancelled. A cop show in New York in the 1800’s. What fool(s) made this decision? Anything and everything worth watching gets cancelled. Mob Doctor was another really goodshow. Like so many before me I hate all Tv stations. Going to drop all but the news and sports. I despise your cheap reality shows. I am, like far too many other people, tired of shows being cancelled brfore people even get to know they exist. People think TV is one big joke and they are so right!

• OV says:

A real to life cop show set in the mid 1800’s was excellent and this is why I don’t subscribe to network TV, download isn’t as disappointing when they pull the wool out from under you like this!

• rolando rimerize says:

stunned,just now heard i was anxiously awaiting its return.and i dont watch very many shows my opinion is it was contrav

• Lin Baker says:

It is the best original tv series that addresses what happened to people when they immigrated to the US. Of course that is what our country was founded on but BBC decided to punish us and take away a great historical series. Too bad because we loved it!

2. Aleksa says:

Noooo! I loved that show!

• Mel says:

Me too. I’m bummed. I love historical dramas. Hopefully AMC doesn’t cancel Hell on Wheels.

• Whatever says:

Love Hell on Wheels. Hopefully AMC will renew.
        Moving it to Saturday night helped with the ratings.

• Shaw says:

No, Hell on Wheels ratings have gone down on Saturdays.

• Lin says:

OMG if they cancel Hell on Wheels I will not watch that channel anymore! It’s like keeping Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo Boo or now Kate plus 8… GAG ME! I can’t wait to see what happens on H on W this season since our fav is captured by the Mormons and that crazy man!

3. jasie says:

Well here is hoping they don’t leave it ending up in the air with a cliffhanger. I really enjoyed this show. I hope Franka Potente can move on to another good tv series. She was great in this.

• Uzi says:

I agree, she was wonderful. The entire cast was great and hopefully they’ll all move on to bigger things. I’m disappointed but not surprised by the cancellation. BBC America seemed to have lost interest in the series during season two…very little promotion. Now they’ll have an open hour time slot in which to air yet another episode of the ubiquitous “Top Gear!”

• Mel says:

Am I the only person who has no interest in Top Gear?

• maggie says:

No, I’m not interested either. BBC America could be showing a lot more UK television series, yet prefers to play endless reruns of Top Gear, Gordon Ramsay, and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

• Sara says:

I agree that it is unfortunate that excellent programs ie Copper are cancelled. And I agree that BBC America plays waaaaay too much Top Gear, and why do we need Star Trek on their network when they should be broadcasting more of the fantastic programs from the UK.

• Meredith says:

I love Top Gear. I have zero interest in cars period, but I love the hosts and their interaction. It’s what makes me watch along w/ the celebrity guest portion. It’s been around in some form for over 30 years, so sorry, I don’t think it’s going anywhere. Maybe the problem is that the channel still doesn’t have much of a viewer following? I watched Copper and tried to get into Ripper Street but I had such a hard time understanding the accents I had to stop :/

• Mel says:

Thanks for your comment Meredith. I am surprised at it’s longevity. Just goes to show there is something for everyone. As much as I love Copper, I will agree with you about Ripper Street. It did not do anything for me.

• maggie says:

I loved Copper it was a refreshing chaange from the dead beat shows BBC America runs over and over,the same was done to another network show Deadwood that was another really good program…

• Nope, you’re not alone. I will have to keep watching BBCA, though, for Ripper Street. BBC tried to cancel that one, too, after one season but people really went to bat and it was renewed.

4. Beanie says:

Ugh! Why are all the good shows being cancelled?! I loved this show!

• Roy P. says:

The answer to your question is easy. Think of just how stupid the average guy on the street is. Now, consider the fact that 50% of the population is even stupider.

• Chrysalis Sartorious says:

Bravo! It seems that a greater portion of the viewing public think they’ve died and gone to Heaven if they can belly up to the big screen for a Saturday afternoon and savor a marathon run of ‘Bayou Butt Buddies’ or some other infantile reality garbage.
        R.I.P. Copper and to Hell with BBCAmerica!

• sknjm says:

This show was awesome! Something’s wrong with these people who make these really bad decisions to cancel good shows and leave lousy ones on. BBC, please correct this error!!

5. Carol Perry says:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Spilenalabama says:

This!!! I love Copper. That makes two of my favorite summer shows (this and the glades) being cancelled. :-(

• tammy says:

I love copper it showed real history,and that in that time and era they had good people who cared. They need to keep this show on. Darn I am mad. This was wrong to cancel.

6. R.O.B. says:

I watched them all so far in a fairly short amount of time. From a binge-watching perspective, It seems to me the story has gone downhill in season 2, I hate to say. Not Dexter downhill (that’s tough to beat), just a direction that was making the show seem a lot smaller and simpler than it could have been. The world of Copper seems now to take place in an area the size of Sesame Street. Everyone gets everywhere they need to go in a few seconds, except when it serves the story that they don’t. Characters become bad guys then good guys again without consequence. I was hoping this season would be more centered on the Lincoln assassination, told from the Five Points perspective. At the beginning they even introduced John Wilkes Booth. I thought maybe Corcoran would get a tip about the upcoming play and we’d see what progress was made over the season and how Wilkes ultimately outsmarted them. Instead, we get a plotline about an evil police chief (or whatever he was) trying to turn five points into an aquaduct. I like these actors, though – hope to see them in better BBC material.

• meme says:

Don’t know much about New York City, do you? Five Points is an area maybe 8 blocks by 5 blocks. Not big at all. And the Tameny Hall corruption was the story of the time.

• Whatever says:

I Agree R.O.B.
      The actors continue to shine on Copper but the writing was weak this season.
      They’re just phoning it in on Dexter , it’s really bad.

7. Rain says:

WHHHHHY, this season started out a little rocky but it’s gotten so good lately!!

8. Devin says:

darn! I loved that show!

9. ScorpionGlow says:

I love this show, and this new makes me livid. BBC America is losing me.

10. Deena says:

Ugh! I really liked this show. If the recent scene between Tom Weston Jones and Donal Logue doesn’t qualify as quality TV, I give up trying to figure out what is.

• Mel says:

Agreed. That was such an intense game of Russian roulette. Donal seems to be everywhere latel Sons of Anarchy, Vikings. Good for him. At least he’s working. I’ve been pissed since the cancellation of Terriers.

11. meme says:

Well, this news sucks.

12. Drew says:

I just watched season 1 on Netflix. If season 2 is anywhere near season 1, it’s a shame to see this one go.

13. By erasing yourself through the public wifi network (although you’re actually connected),
    you are able to prevent a packet sniffer from seeing you as being a potential target.
    In addition to sightseeing, you’ll find unlimited entertainment opportunities for
    your discerning travelers, ensuring probably the most worthwhile holiday experience ever.
    If you remain at airport hotels you then can accomplish that quickly
    at all since they are located very close to the hotel.

14. Amanda says:

Devastated! I love this show! :(

15. Maryann says:

What on earth?!!! I can’t believe this!!! Copper was by far the best series on BBC America, with a totally unique voice not remotely replicated elsewhere. And it was definitely in my top five series on all networks of the last five years. This show will indeed be mourned, and BBC America will go from definitely appointment viewing to maybe-I’ll-get-around-to-it-if-I’m-bored.

16. I love Copper! Started watching online and it’s recently become a great addition to my Sunday night programs. I will miss this show and wish we could have left the characters in a better place.

17. M3rc Nate says:

I havent started the second season yet, the first was amazing but did seem pretty open and shut (like the first two seasons of Hell on Wheels), but i plan on watching it and i bet i will really enjoy it…so i am very disappointed to read that BBCA cancelled it. I really hope it doesnt end on a cliffhanger.

18. CBWBDK1 says:

This is BS!!! Why cancel this show?

19. Terri says:

I went to the BBC America site and there was no mention of a cancellation. Why wouldn’t they put something on their site if this was true? This is the only show on BBC America that I watch so if they cancel this show they’ve lost at least two viewers in my household alone and I’m sure that’s true of a lot of people. Surely they won’t risk losing such a large number of viewers. Please, please, tell me it’s not true. Why do networks cancel such high quality programs and leave crap on for decades…reality TV SUCKS! I’m soooooo disappointed.

• Mel says:

Was just watching Broadchurch that I had recorded last night and a commercial came on that said “series finale Saturday.” :(

20. Caffeinated Impressions says:

This sucks. Everyone needs to get on BBCAmerica about this!!!!

21. Bridget Jones says:

Well that bums me out.

22. lindasays says:

I am thoroughly disgusted by this news. Why do the majority of American TV viewers prefer inane drivel to quality?

• themonk says:

I’m an American viewer. Favorite shows are Copper, Hell on Wheels and the Walking Dead.

You won’t find any inane drivel at least in this rebel’s home.

23. Laurie says:

Well that sucks. I love this show. The acting and storytelling is first rate.

24. Lauren says:

I just found this show, and am loving it. I am going to miss it.

25. S Reyna says:

This is the best show on tv and the best in a very long time. I can’t believe they cancelled Copper. Makes absolutely no sense. Just like FireFly. Browncoats are still PO’d to this day they cancelled that show. They cancel Copper but Jersey Shore ran for 6 years, are you kidding me? The Simpsons is still on TV after god know how many years and they cancel Copper? What is wrong with these people? Along with a large number of Copper twitter followers I mailed 3 letters myself asking to renew Copper. I have never sent a letter to any network in my life. That how good this show is. I guess the fans and the people actually wanting to watch the show don’t matter? It’s not ratings. Copper is blowing the rating out of the water.

“it seems a fitting moment to conclude this American story” Are you kidding me? Sure it might be a “fitting” ending if you started the series a lot further back, before the draft wars in Five Points, during the gang problems, The Old Brewery….there is so much they should have been able to add to Copper allowing us to grow with these characters and this amazing cast. You have just started giving us the best thing ever on tv then just take it away!?

I am still in shock and really mad actually. I wonder if it would make a difference if the fans bombarded the BBC America with mail asking for them to reconsider? I would send 5 letters a day if that’s what it took. This is a sad day.

26. JT says:

Well this sucks. Another great show bites the dust huh?

27. Mo says:

“The cancellation comes following the show’s modest ratings.” Do they even take into consideration that because of the late hour on a Sunday night, not everyone watches it when it actually airs? Some of us DVR it or watch it “On Demand” or online? This show is pure GOLD! It was like crack…I couldn’t get enough! I would spend all week anxiously awaiting the next episode! What in the hell are they thinking?? This is like asking me if I want to read your book and then ripping out the last three chapters before you hand it to me. They keep sucking me in and then ripping the rug out from under me. THIS was the show that brought me back to that channel (against my better judgement)…..and they did it to me yet again. You screwed me for the last time BBC America…NEVER again!!! I’m ALL DONE!

28. Melissa says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need more Corky. Why BBC America why?

29. The Diva says:

Wow, I’m shocked. I love this show! I thought it was doing well ratings-wise, but I guess I should have checked.

• S Reyna says:

Copper was doing well in the ratings, that’s why this makes no sense. EVERYBODY PLEASE FIGHT FOR COPPER! Send letters to the BBC telling them why you don’t want the show cancelled. We CAN make a difference.

30. pakegler says:

I haven’t been this bummed for the loss of a unique show since HBO canceled Deadwood. I know Deadwood bit the dust because David Milch was moving on to “Cincinnati” but still. Someone in an earlier post mentioned DVR viewing of “Copper.” That would include my household. I’d say well over 90% of our Copper viewing was done via TiVo.

31. Jen says:

Worst news ever! Why? Great acting. Great story. I hope the actors go onto great things.

• steven montgomery says:

very disapointed found the show by accident ,,,very unique very intriguing lots of future possabilities besides they left us all hanging bring cooper back

32. Susan says:

Terrible news! My favorite show, real quality in every way. This is cancelled but we stil have the skanky Kardashians. WTF? This is a real crying shame.

33. Ola says:

Please why did they stop this beautiful film. I live in Nigeria and I had to wait for a long time to get the full season 2. For me the directors and producers of this great film are making a big mistake by stopping production.
    This film talks about reality of difference race and how they managed to survive even in time of war, segregation and hunger.

34. Queerbec says:

Plus there is so much competition for shows on Sunday nights that I spend the next several days catching up on what I recorded or what is available on demand. Maybe if they scheduled Top Gear against Dexter, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, True Blood, at falling Skies and the Good Wife they’d see what type of ratings it would get then. Why the hell did BBCA go into the production of stateside vehicles anyway if they weren’t committed. At last Orphan Black is co produced with Canada so there’s less risk for the obviously risk averse BBCA. Can you imagine if El Jazeera America had such an attitude. They’d look like Current and not the big news gathering operation they are trying to put together.

35. Bren says:

We absolutely loved this show and in awe that they.have chosen to cancel this program!!! I really didn’t like the way they left it off if they planned on not renewing it!

36. David says:

Are any of us surprised tha BBC America has made another blunder with the programming ? These are the same people who pulled Eastenders due to back veiwership. They started EE on Friday afternoon Sr a time that most Americans are at work and should all 4 episodes one after the other all on one afternoon. Then the moved it to all 4 episodes on a Saturday afternoon at the peak of college football season. Most people has to record EE on Friday and Saturday so since it wasn’t viewed live BBC A cancelled. Totally worthless group in BBC A. Idiots. So now with Copper not having a true ending they cancel. Is anyone really surprised by the ignorance of BBC A??

37. Jim says:

Boo BBC America, Boo!!

38. catherine R. says:

I cant believe copper is being cancelled, it was one of the best shows on tv, they are leaving the audience with too many unanswered questions. Shame on the producers for making one of the biggest mistakes of the season by cancelling undoubtedly one of the best shows ever, Iam still in a state of shock.

39. lpdb says:

So, that was it? Was last night (September 22) the season AND series finale? The least they could have done was give us a decent ending. All the story lines were left WIDE open! I loved that show and am truly disappointed in the way they ended it.

40. StormWatch says:

I really liked the show as a whole. I’m assuming that they weren’t able to teapot a different ending because that was the biggest cliffhanger I’ve seen in a long time.

41. Edna V says:

I am so disgusted that Copper was canceled. We finally get a great program to look forward to watch, and it gets canceled. The lame people at BBC America made a very poor decision, and will not follow any more of their programming, unless they change their minds and bring back Copper for season 3. Reality shows on the other networks suck.

42. Mary Carlson says:

Liked Copper , do not like Broadchurch . Even a little .

43. L says:

PLEASE PLEASE RENEW COPPER! I never watched BBC before stumbling on Copper. Just got hooked and was looking for other shows on the network. I’ll stop watching it all together if they don’t bring Copper back. Sick of great shows being cancelled!

44. Christy says:

I am FURIOUS right now finding out that Copper has been cancelled. I have been telling all my friends and family to watch it!!! This is just so irritating, with all the crap on TV why is it that shows that are actually good keep getting cancelled?? This has ruined my day. I just need to stop watching TV all together.

45. Ded says:

Here we go again, another great series cancelled. I guess they needed the time to show more reruns of Kitchen Nightmares and ST:TNG. Only show left to watch on BBCA is Orphan Black, which will probably be axed after its second season, too.

46. Joan says:

Extremely disappointed and shocked at the cancellation of Copper. What a truly adult viewing experience. Shame on you BBC. Won’t be watching anymore programming on your network!

47. Kim says:

I really liked this show and grew to love the characters. I am stunned that it was cancelled with so many unanswered questions in the plot.

48. laniek66 says:

They ended it with a horrific cliffhanger, because even the writers didn’t know there wasn’t going to be a season 3. BBC committed an injustice on its viewers.

If you really want to save Copper, join our campaign to do so. Visit

Save Copper Facebook page

Save Copper TV Tumblr

and follow @Save_CopperTV on twitter for details.

We have a letter writing campaign, email campaign and there is a petition. We are wrting Tom Fontana, Barry Levinson, Cineflix and anyone associated with Copper to let them know they have the fans support in either bringing back show on another network or a movie.

Our goal is to find another network to take on Copper or to help Tom Fontana see his movie made to wrap up what was to be Season 3.

So please, anyone who is interested, join the cause today before it is too late.

• I have just finished season 2 and couldn’t wait to see what would happen ,only to find out they have stopped it ? Why ? IT WAS GREAT !!! . THIS IS THE SECOUND TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED with AMERICAN series I also watched V and the same HAPPENED Both Amazing series ,No idea who is on the board of these meetings but it’s quite clear they don’t know a good thing when they see one !!!! Very Disappointing!!!

49. ch says:

I can’t believe they cancelled Copper after 2 seasons! Why? What happened? My husband and I loved that show. We looked forward to watching it every week. I thought it was more about the start of the NYC police department not about recovering from the Civil War. Bring it back for another season please!!!!

50. Amanda says:

I love love loved Copper! Even my mom did. I loved the cast and plots to the story and am very dissapointed to see it done with so soon.