Suits Finale Preview: Harvey's Personal Epiphany, Mike and Rachel's School Struggle and More

Suits Season 3 SpoilersWhen Suits midseason finale airs Tuesday (USA Network, 10/9c), Harvey will make some big decisions about the future of the firm — and his personal life.

But Harvey won’t be the only one wrestling with his feelings: Mike and Rachel’s dilemma about where she’ll attend law school also will come to a head.

Below, executive producer Aaron Korsh previews the drama in store for the denizens of the firm.

RELATED | Suits Casts Michael Phelps for Season 3 Winter Premiere Cameo

TVLINE | What turmoil is the firm in this episode? Because it seems like it has a crisis every week.
[Laughs] We couldn’t let a season finale go without doing something turmoil-y. Ava Hessington is suing the firm for malpractice. So the challenge of the week for us is to get Scottie to follow through with the merger dissolution that she agreed to. And then to convince Ava, “Hey, we’ll help you go against Darby. He’s the one who did this to you. Your beef isn’t with us.” But the problem is, Scottie doesn’t have any incentive to do it, and Harvey just didn’t trust her and tried to screw her over and now he’s going to ask her to split off. That’s a tough thing to accomplish. And in addition, even if he could accomplish that, Ava may or may not see it as Darby being the only one that screwed her over. Harvey did do some things to her – namely, his personal beef with Cameron Dennis caused him to go after her for these murder charges in the first place. This is all complicated, obviously, by the fact that she’s hired Tanner to be her attorney.

TVLINE | How does all this drama going on in the workplace affect them on a personal level?
Very significantly. The case has its biggest effect, on a personal level, on Harvey, because [he] is forced to work together with Scottie on the case, and that has not happened to this extent ever before. And because Travis Tanner is going to end up doing some things that get to Harvey…

Separately, Mike’s never gone to Harvey to seek out Harvey’s relationship advice before, and he does. I feel like that maneuver, ironically, affects Harvey much more than it affects Mike, because Mike goes through this realization that Harvey can’t help him in this area. It’s an interesting thing to see that your mentor, or the person you look up to, can’t help you in a particular area.

And then… Harvey, at the end of the episode, makes a decision that’s going to affect the make-up of the firm moving forward in the last six [episodes of the season].

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Been Cancelled?

Suits Season 3 SpoilersTVLINE | We saw in the preview that the issue of Stanford comes up. How are Rachel and Mike dealing with that?
When Rachel gets into Stanford, it throws Mike for a little bit of a loop because he just assumed she was going to Columbia. He understands it, but he’s a little hurt by it. There are two different kinds of people. Some people, when they’re making a decision, they write the pros and the cons down, and they analyze it… and then they make their decision in that way. I am the opposite. I’m more of a person that goes with my gut. The fact that I’m in love with that person and I know, basically… the two schools are equal, that would be the factor that would override everything else. Rachel is a person that wants to put that off to the side and actually do the pros and cons between the schools, figure that out and then overlay that fact on there if necessary. And Mike just doesn’t understand it, and it’s hurtful to him. So he struggles to understand that.

TVLINE | Speaking of relationships, Rachael Harris is back as Sheila Sasz. What are she and Louis up to?
Sheila and Louis have been continuing their dalliance – or as Louis calls it, their “torrid affair” –  throughout the course of the season, even though we haven’t seen it. She lives in Boston. She obviously works at Harvard. And when she comes to town, they do their thing, both personally and professionally. Something happens in the course of the episode where Louis is forced to make a choice. He’s having his feet put to the fire. Does he want to have a casual dalliance with Sheila? Or does he want to be serious with her — or not?

1. Puhleaze says:

What does he mean by “final six episodes”? Does that mean it will only be back for six episodes next summer?

• Grace says:

probably that the finale is only the summer finale and the rest of the season (making a 16 episode season) will be early 2014 like they did for season two.

• HAP says:

Covert Affairs is taking a month long hiatus after tomorrow’s episode. It will be back October 17. For some reason, I assumed they would pair these two shows again.

• Helvetica says:

It’s the summer finale; the final six episodes of this season will air probably from January, just like they did with last season.

2. M3rc Nate says:

I enjoy (but it kinda sucks) how Rachel and Mike arent a happily ever after couple. Now i know not many are now adays, look at the crap Beckett has pulled on Castle…but I am enjoying (from a story telling point of view) how Mike isnt really that good of a BF, and Rachel isnt really that good of a GF…they both have lied, kept things to themselves, been selfish, been immature, i mean she nagged him hardcore about having his coffee cup in the wrong side of the sink…So im interested to see where they go after Mike says “If you go to Stanford, we are done”.

Im very curious to find out, and im surprised TVline you havent asked; If Rachel goes to college, even if she goes to Columbia which is in NY…thats 4 years (at least) i would imagine of college until she can come back to the law-firm and practice. So if she does go to college will the show give her less screen time and show her in classes (probably interacting with a new male character who she likes but eventually chooses Mike) or will there be a time jump ahead 4 years or what?

• John says:

Interesting dilemma. She’d get summer’s off for working different places so she’d be free to return full time then in her old capacity as well as perhaps evenings/weekends as a job with reduced hours during classes perhaps. How realistic that would be while carrying a full top rank law school class load could be glossed over. Stanford would be a deal breaker unless TPTB were writing the character off the show. And I totally doubt they’d do that. So she’ll be taking the 1 train not AMTRAK.

[It would be a tad shorter than you pose as law school is 3 years unlike an undergrad stint of the usual 4]

• Patrick says:

Law school is 3 years long. I am sort of expecting, some time in the next few seasons, to have a time jump where Mike gets his law degree at night (with his intelligence, they should have already done this). That clears up the major problem at the firm.

Mike is too good not to get promoted, and they can’t promote him without a law degree. People will start to ask serious questions soon.

A time jump would solve these problems, and set up a lot of new problems when Rachel returns.

• prish says:

How are they going to keep “it” secret if he gets a degree from somewhere else? I find this show fascinating, seeing a poke being made to law schools and a question being raised. Maybe it is a writer just having fun, but it is good TV.

• John says:

Mike’s got a law degree: just ask Harvard! The hacker friend of some one he helped fixed that. He’s actually safer the farther out it get’s as memories will fade and there’d be fewer people expected to remember him from a particular class….

• John says:

The one remaining gap is he’s got no undergraduate degree as we saw a few weeks back. I know some med school acceptances weren’t contingent on graduation a long time back but I bet a Harvard acceptance would contain the clause “upon successful completion of your degree….”

3. John says:

And then will Pearson/Spector break it’s “Harvard Law Only” policy for Rachel? While they ‘did’ for Mike, the firm didn’t actually know that…. :)

4. Susie says:

Love this show! I’m always excited to see slimy Travis Tanner back in town, because I enjoy watching Harvey put him in his place. Eric Close is really good at being bad. The Mike/Rachel storyline is meh. But I love Louis. Can’t wait!!

5. Alex says:

I hope Harvey’s personal epiphany is to realize that Donna being with Stephen ‘bothered him’ because he loves her. As much as I like Scottie, I don’t think she’s the woman for him. Seeing Harvey pursuing her -and telling her that he is sorry and asking her to ‘stay’ (hence the episode title) would feel so out of character. I mean, he obviously doesn’t trust her…Looking forward to see how it all will come up.

• prish says:

Right, I see Stephen and Scottie. Maybe, Stephen will get an epiphany, first, leading to Harvey’s.

• Britta says:

I prefer Scottie to Donna, and I want Harvey to ask her to stay. Donna and Harvey as a romantic couple are forced and they have no chemistry together.

• BettyBoo says:

Exactly, but it won’t be. It will have to do with Scottie which won’t last long in my opinion before she is out of the picture again. And yes it would be out of character and rushed too. The stay for Scottie would be stupid. There is no build up not enough anyway and in no way on the same wavelength as Donna and Harvey who go way back. It’s the mid season finale and they should have something Harvey Donna related going on to leave us wanting more.

6. The quote from Scottie last week on how Harvey would never be Vulnerable because then he would be dealing from a position of weakness was spot on. It’s my fave quote that whole episode. Are we going to see Harvey become vulnerable this episode.. I doubt it

7. Joey says:

Great interview. I can’t wait to see the new episode tomorrow night.

8. meah says:

If mike and Rachel break up,can they bring Jenny back?I have always prefered her,she was so much fun..
    I sorta want Harvey and scottie to be mature about their feelings for each other and decide what to do about it.I secretly want them to date.

9. Kristin says:

I love Suits! Thank you for the interview guys!

10. aaj says:

The awfully ridiculous cat subplot did me in. What a stupid storyline. I’m not sure I really care about watching the show anymore. Anybody else insulted by the cat story?

11. qhfan says:

who cares i want harvey donna mike and racheal got boring in season 1 itself

12. Kaya says:

Mike and Rachel have to stay together. Yes, they’re having their issues, but they’re delightful to watch and bring so much to the table. It’s awesome, finally seeing a successful couple on a TV show, two people who really love and respect each other but also have realistic problems.

13. BettyBoo says:

HARVEY HAS BEEN ACTING A DOUCHE TO DONNA LATELY. HOPE THERE IS SOME DEVELOPMENT BETWEEN THEM. NEVER MIND SCOTTIE.

14. david says:

I think that Harvey made a good decision to take Scottie work with him and to be with him