Emmys

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

Emmys Supporting Actress in a DramaWhen Downton Abbey‘s Maggie Smith goes for a repeat Emmy win next Sunday as Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, history won’t be on her side.

Only twice since 1990 has an actress scored back-to-back victories in the category: The West Wing‘s Allison Janney (2000-2001) and Huff‘s Blythe Danner (2005-2006).

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

Smith’s competition includes three actresses she faced last year — Mad Men‘s Christina Hendricks, The Good Wife‘s Christine Baranski and Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn — plus newcomers Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) and Morena Baccarin (Homeland).

RELATED | Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine actors when the Emmys are handed out? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 20, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Tomorrow, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor. And to stay up to speed on all our Emmy polls, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Anne says:

MONICA POTTER!!..oh wait she wasn’t nominated…again!!

2. Bobby says:

Monica Potter or Jennifer Carpenter, but of who’s nominated I would go with Emilia Clarke or Anna Gunn

3. Saltine says:

I love Emilia Clarke I really do, but if this award is given out based on merit then it belong to Christina Hendricks.

4. Kat says:

Anna Gunn deserves it. She and Jonathan Banks were the stars of Breaking Bad’s front 8. All Emilia did this season on GOT was look pretty and say a few things. She gave a passable performance, but she just didn’t bring the emotional complexity and depth that Anna brought the character of Skyler. But…Maggie Smith will probably win, because…it’s Maggie Smith.

5. Sarah says:

Jennifer Carpenter should have won this year, and the past six years. Crossing my fingers for next year, they say 8 time is a charm (no they dont)

6. Rhonda Cloutier says:

Write-in candidate: MONICA FREAKIN POTTER!

7. Rhonda Cloutier says:

MONICA FREAKIN POTTER!

8. Liz says:

Emilia Clarke! She’s one of the main reason I watch Game of Thrones (along with other good actors of course, but her story is the most compelling). She made that character, “Khalessi”, completely unforgettable. Love her arc, from season 1 to season 3, when she became “Mhysa”. Great work!

9. anne says:

ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN ANNA GUNN

10. Carole says:

Monica Potter… there should be a write in vote.

11. Alex says:

Monica Potter.

12. Moo Juice says:

Big fan of all 6 shows, I’ll be satisfied whoever wins this one.

13. Mel says:

Wonderful group of actresses, and two others who should have been on the list (Monica Potter and Jennifer Carpenter). I voted for Anna Gunn, but sometimes I just get irritated with “voting for the best”. Who’s really the best? It’s the combination of writing, directing, acting and luck of the draw as to how good your story line is that year. I probably would have given it to Jennifer Carpenter for her body of work over the last 8 seasons, but sheesh, this is a hard category to chose.

14. Emmy voters should be ashamed of themselves for not giving Monica Potter a nod for Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. On the other hand, it’s a toss up between Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) and Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad). Morena Baccarin (Homeland) doesn’t stand a chance 100%.

15. Morganisaqt says:

Funny really, I thought others deserved it more last year but this year Maggie had better material to work with aside from her usual dame moments. Her walk across the room and physicality after she finds out about Sybil’s death made me remember what a world class actress she really is and that’s when i knew she’d be taking home the Emmy this year!
    Anna gunn and Christina Hendricks were great but it’s Maggie Smith! Crying! That reeks of awards

16. MKS says:

Michelle Fairley should’ve been given this award after the Red Wedding aired.

• Aprilcot says:

I agree. I really enjoyed Dany’s story this season, but Michelle Fairly was on fire this year. The Red Wedding alone should have earned her the statue. Talk about gut-wrenching…

17. Ron says:

No competition. Anna Gunn! Anna ruled the first 8 of season 5. I really like Emilia, but she should have been nominated for either season 1 or 2, as her performance those seasons were better. If they were going to nominate a supporting actress from GOT, it should have been Michelle Fairley. Unfortunately for Emilia, as much as I like her, I can’t throw my support behind her knowing her nom this year should have been Michelle’s. Let’s be honest. It’s hard not to give an award to Maggie Smith because she’s Maggie freaking Smith. But she’s already won twice for DA, and season 3 was definitely not the show’s best season. I think the other 3 nominees are great too. But Christina has the disadvantage of Mad Men’s lack of wins for acting, as well as the previous season not being the show’s best. Christine is great of TGW, but has the disadvantage of being on a network show and by default limited in what she can do. And Morena is good in Homeland, but has the disadvantage of automatically being compared to Damien, Claire, and Mandy (who are synonymous with the show), and that comparison isn’t on Morena’s side. Ultimately, I think the voters had it down to Anna, Emilia, and Maggie (mainly because of who she is). It should be Anna, hands down, but the voters, in my opinion, have a tendency to screw this category up.

But yeah, if I haven’t made it clear, ANNA!!! Seriously, aside from Bryan/Walt, she had some of the most memorable moments of the first 8.

18. Austin says:

No one. Monica Potter was robbed. V_V

19. Avery says:

Michelle Fairley.

Oh, wait…

• Grey_Wind says:

If the Gods were just Michelle Fairley should’ve won this Emmy and Jaime Lannister be a Man of Honor. As it is, Emilia Clarke should win on behalf of Game of Thrones,

(and I’m counting on Brienne to change Jaime forthe better next season)

20. lilly says:

pretty much anyone except emilia clarke, she should only win if we’re voting on who can be the most monotonous and have the deadest eyes. her nomination will always be a joke that was clearly done for publicity and not for talent. i hate that i feel this way, since i do love her as a person, but as an actor she’s lacking.

21. Emily says:

It’s hard to choose because I really don’t agree with the nominations. I feel like Monica Potter, Jennifer Carpenter, and Michelle Fairley are my top 3, and it is really hard to justify voting for anyone else. Especially when it comes to Emilia Clarke for GOT, I feel like the Emmys went for big name over substance this year. I understand that GOT has such a big cast that it can be hard to narrow it down, but IMO she had one of the most snooze worthy plots this year

22. Kay says:

Emilia Clarke. When she spoke and emoted in a made-up language, Valyrian, it was impossible to remember it was a made-up language and not a language she is very familiar with. Plus, what a character arc!

23. Mike R. says:

As as I love Emilia Clarke and Daenerys, I don’t think she was even the strongest performance on Game of Thrones. Lena Headey and Michelle Fairley both outdid her in season 3, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if she won. Persoanally I am pulling for Anna Gunn, who has pulled off such a polarizing performance as Skyler White for 5 seasons. You may not like Skyler, but you can’t deny Gunn’s amazing performance. Morena Baccarin would also be a great choice.

• ChrisGa says:

I’ve never understood critics(and many viewers) fascination with Daenerys, and in turn Emilia Clarke. She’s perfectly adequate in that role IMO, nothing more and nothing less. But Emmy-caliber? Unless I’m watching a totally different show than everyone else, no. Michelle Fairley, on the other hand, has been the most underrated actress on that show since it’s inception. The Red Wedding episode alone should’ve easily secured her not only a nomination but, ultimately, the win.

• F.M. says:

I agree Mike… I don’t think Emilia Clarke is one of the stronger performers on Game of Thrones, and both Lena Headey and Michelle Fairley gave excellent performances week in, week out. Not sure how or why Emilia was nominated

24. cjeffery7 says:

the Dame’ll double down, but i’d like to write in JENNIFER CARPENTER. HELLOOOOO ACADEMY!

25. DavidSask says:

Emilia does not have enough screen time on her show to have been one nominated for her show! Anna for the win!

• Mike R. says:

Than no one on Game of Thrones could ever be nominated. So, I don’t think screen time should have anything to do with who is or who is not nominated. Not that I disagree with you especially after tonight’s episode, Anna deserves the Emmy.

26. Jan says:

Whoever wins the award should be revealed to be Tatiana Maslany.

27. person says:

Natalie Dormer, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey…

28. Mikael says:

I like Morena Baccarin, but not on Homeland. The only worse character on that show is the daughter, Dana. I guess she does a good job playing a completely unlikeable character. I vote Emilia Clarke, I’ve really enjoyed watching her character progress over the past 3 seasons.

29. james says:

christina hendricks christina hendricks christina hendricks christina hendricks christina hendricks christina hendricks christina hendricks christina hendricks christina hendricks