House Vet Lisa Edelstein to Headline Bravo's Marti Noxon-Produced Divorce Pilot

castle-lisa-edelsteinIt’s a marriage made in TV heaven.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer vet Marti Noxon has recruited House MVP Lisa Edelstein to star in her new Bravo pilot, The Girlfriend’s Guide to Divorce, TVLine has confirmed.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on 45 Returning Favorites

As first reported by The Hollywood Reporter, the hour-long dramedy (based on Vicki Iovine’s book series) follows a newly separated self-help author (Edelstein) navigating her life as a single woman in her 40s in Los Angeles.

Noxon will pen the script and serve as an EP.

The news comes as Edelstein is set to begin an arc on ABC’s Castle. Her other post-House credits include stints on The Good Wife, Elementary, House of Lies and Scandal.

1. Color me cautiously optimistic. Marti was overkill on Buffy, but this might just be the show for her. And Lisa Edelstein is always a treat.

2. D says:

Finally! Dramady is perfect for her too! Bring it on!

3. Navel says:

I love this. Bravo is casting the best actresses lately. Edelstein is probably the best choice for the role.

4. lucy says:

OMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGG YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!

5. bruna cora says:

best. news. ever.

6. John says:

jesus christ how this woman hadn’t gotten a lead before is a mystery to me! she’s an amazing actress

7. Sydney says:

Hallelujah, praise whatever higher power made this happen, it’s been far too long without her as a series regular on something, and finally, she’s the LEAD character. Good for her, she deserves it and much more.

8. lariet50 says:

Bravo’s doing scripted television?! I thought they were contractually obligated to only show crappy “reality” shows. :)

9. Intrigued says:

Interesting. Does it mean that Bravo finally decided to return from the reality TV overload to its fine arts and film roots? If so, Ms. Edelstein might be the best choice to ease the transition. She’s got both personality and talent.

10. TL says:

I’m good with all expect the character being a self-help author. Just something not juicy enough about that for me.

11. Christine says:

Congratulations Lisa, i know you’ll do an amazing job! :)

12. Corey says:

Congratulations to Lisa. She’s got the talent and smarts to lead this into a success which she totally deserves. The show seems amazing and I look forward to it.

13. Old Timer says:

I miss the old “artsy” Bravo, and Lisa Edelstein is a fantastic actress. Hope it all works out.

14. Melly says:

awesome news!!!!!! this is fantastic! can’t wait to get more info :D wishing all the best to lisa :D

15. Erin says:

Stunning actress

16. MandT says:

I cannot wait to see this! Congrats to Lisa E!

17. (@lenasti16) says:

Yes, we are soooooooo in cloud 9 because of this so wonderful news…Lisa Edelstein deserves this and us, too… So worth the wait… #WeSupportLisaE :)

18. Kendra says:

Saweeeet!

19. nikki says:

Marti Noxon and Lisa Edelstein. Two reasons to give this show a skip.

20. Steven says:

Marti Noxon and Lisa Edelstein? Sold.

21. maggie says:

Can Hugh Laurie guest star, please? Lisa and Hugh have amazing chemistry together.

22. Jules says:

Well…good luck!
    Because with a title & synopsis as “cheesy” & predictable (a bit ) like that…I’m not sure that will keep me entertain for an entire season….
    Plus, really hope she will have a good interesting/strong & talented supporting cast behind her (1or 2 or literally everyone- can steal her “spotlight” ) to make sure this show will survive past the pilot episode and even the entire season….

23. kay says:

Gotta agree with Jules. The premise does sound cheesy.Bravo does reality TV really well. This just sounds like an attempt for Bravo to do scripted TV-and it probably won’t work.

• no more reality says:

The era of candid reality television is arguably coming to an end. If Universal want to get ahead in the game, they need to be ready. Before NBCU bought it in early 2000s, Bravo was an elitist channel dedicated to preforming arts and independent movies, very PBS-ish in style. There is no straightforward transition from the Real Housewives to Masterpiece Theater, so Girlfriend’s Guide (and Lisa Edelstein, adored by brainy women and gays) may be exactly what they need. Mind you, they passed on a very strong drama pilot Rita with Anna Gunn that is now being shopped to other networks. We’ll see.

24. Dermot Lane says:

She’s filming a pilot about life in LA up here in Vancouver?!
    Lol. I met her today and she was cool.

25. Lyn says:

Looking forward to this but I’m skeptical if it can be pulled off. This has beend one before except the lead character wasn’t newly separated. But here we have the lead character and three friends (Sex and the CIty anyone?). They’re all in their forties, all with relationship issues. Surprise? No. Saddened this was the best they could give her? God Yes.

Lisa Edelstein is incredibly talented but this is too cheesy even for her. I’ve read comments online that people who like her are worried this is going to be just a one-hour show that has Lisa’s newly separated character sleeping around at night and then discussing the pros and cons of each bed partner at lunch the next day with her friends. God I hope not. She’s better than this. They call it a dramedy. And it’s one-hour long. That’s thirty minutes too long for this kind of story.

It’s my thought this will tank either during the pilot airing or, if they get more eps, shortly thereafter. Lisa Edelstein is great at comedy, she’s great in drama but this premise is cheesy and not worthy of her talent. Give us something we can sink our teeth into that is remotely interesting. Honestly, Lisa Edelstein shines in her guest roles and I’d hoped that her first show as a lead would be something we could all salivate over. Frankly, a one-hour dramedy about her being recently separated and whining about it with her friends, hopping into the sack with as many guys as she can, and whining about her soon-to-be ex and oh yeah, it all taking place in (surprise!) Los Angeles, doesn’t sound like something that would interest me or most of my fortysomething friends.

Maybe we’re spoiled because Lisa Edelstein shined on House. She was the foil to Hugh Laurie’s character and the way they played off each other…no role they ever give her will be as amazing as that one. Lisa needs an excellent partner to play off of and there’s just nobody else like Hugh Laurie to do that.

Because I like her so much, I want this to succeed but it’s because I like her so much I think Hollywood could do better for her!