Fall TV Preview

Exclusive Parenthood Premiere First Look: Max's New Hobby Comes Courtesy of… Hank?!

Ray Romano‘s polarizing Hank returns to Parenthood in the NBC drama’s fifth season premiere (airing Sept. 26 at 10/9c) — but oddly enough, Sarah’s not the one to bring him back into the Braverman fold. TVLine has an exclusive first look at what the standoffish photog has been up to… with his new pal Max?

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Parenthood and 44 Other Returning Faves

Press PLAY below to watch Max explain the origin of his new pic-centric hobby to his parents , then hit the comments: Are you excited to see Hank back — and mixing it up with someone new?

Tags: ,

Comments (22)

• Max is one of the most beloved characters I’ve ever seen on Parenthood and dealing with Asperger’s which is very important for people who are coping with issues like autism. Can’t wait for the new season in just 14 days.

Comment by Flacco Kapernick – September 12, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, Max is one of the least liked characters, although his storylines are no point of discussion. We can’t blame it on the Asperger’s condition, but sometimes he comes off as a really annoying and hurtful guy, just like when he insulted his mother or ran away and Haddie kinda confronted him. We all felt the same way as her.

Comment by Matt – September 12, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How do you know he is the least liked characters…He is annoying and insults because that is his role…Maybe you should read up on the disease before you make such disparaging comments..I mean really !!!!!!!

Comment by Karen – September 25, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is this headline in such shock? This whole article was hinted at in the finale and you’ve brought up Max’s future interest in photography several times over the summer. Tighten up the screws, TV Line.

Comment by brycealexander – September 12, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you were really dead-set on have an ?! in the headline, it should’ve read: “Romano’s Hank brought back into the fold by… Max?!” Current headline is way too obvious.

Comment by brycealexander – September 12, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I could nit pick the heading, but I won’t as I am so totally stoked Parenthood is coming back in 14 days for 22 episodes. Yippy!

Comment by Mel – September 12, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The premiere can’t come soon enough!

Comment by HowManyKropogs – September 12, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, Max is the worst. He nearly ruins this show for me. At least the finally gave him a hair cut.

Comment by Bitsy – September 12, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bitsy, you need to get out there and actually educate yourself on persons with and families of persons with autism or aspbergers. Max’s character is spot on for a child with his condition and there are literally millions and millions of families dealing with that kind of hell that Max sometimes creates for those around him. They are doing an absolute remarkable job showing us what the condition is all about and what to expect. You really should pay more attention to Max’s character and storyline because someday, someone in your own life will have a child, maybe even yourself with it and then maybe just maybe you will appreciate it. I am not picking on you, just letting you know that those of us that know and love people who suffer with it or family members who suffer with children with it are infatuated with the AWESOME job they do on this show to get it out there for others to just “try” to begin to understand it.

Comment by Lisa Stork – September 14, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! His character is irritating and over the top.

Comment by Teri – February 16, 2014 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love love this show and Max. Monica Potter’s is still annoying. I want to hit mute every time she is on camera.

Comment by Pam – September 12, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG so I’m not the only one annoyed with Kristina? THANK YOU. Even through her cancer ordeal, and as Monica Potter admittedly shone through in a few episodes, she was still not 100% likeable to me. Unlike Hank, who is totally someone I’m looking forward to seeing more of this season. Ray Romano’s chemistry with Lauren Graham is palpable. “Polarizing,” TVLine? characters will always have haters, sure, but if you mean throw-the-remote-at-the-TV-when-Amy-Farrah-Fowler-is-onscreen polarizing, I think not.

Comment by kaleidoscopeworld77 – September 12, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Max!!! :)

Comment by Elyse – September 12, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why the heck is Hank stil in CA? I thought he moved at the end of last season to be with his daughter…

Comment by Mrs. Ben Covington – September 12, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Send Hank back home. Ray is grouchy and boring. Max’s character lack directions and discipline.

Comment by Teri – February 16, 2014 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you can’t even deal with the headlines, why do you even read this site? Lighten up, Francis!

Comment by Stacie – September 12, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So nice to see a glimpse of Parenthood at long last! I’m a fan of Max, but not so much of Hank.

Comment by Sarah – September 12, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Max & Hank!!! Can’t wait for Parenthood! Have to say Monica ‘s little miss perfect act gets on my nerves a little, but hear she’s coming to a new place this year, so good! Love the whole cast actually!

Comment by Karen (@ldylkngb) – September 12, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Hank. Love Max. SO looking forward to the season premiere.

Comment by Audrey – September 12, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In response to those who wrote that the character of Max “annoys them” – the amazing writing and the young actor’s portrayal of someone with Asperger’s Syndrome is spot on. As the mother of a now-adult child with Asperger’s, there have been so many scenes involving Max that have brought tears to my eyes, as they are scenarios I can relate to, as I have lived them. Perhaps being exposed to someone like this on a TV show will help others to understand and tolerate people with Asperger’s in real life. Again… kudos to the incredible writing and acting!

Comment by Diane – September 12, 2013 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is seriously one of the “BEST” shows on television. I just LOVE the storylines that they cover and the wonderful way they do it. Makes you feel like they are your own family. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that Max is getting into a hobby and especially with Hank! Kids and/or people with Autism or Asphbergers (or however it is spelled), are showcased on this show with such dignity and I am amazed at how spot on they get every storyline so perfect with every character on this show. I just LOVE it. I hate that Sarah and Mark split but that is life. Continue amazing us Parenthood, for years, years and even more years!!!!! your number one fan!!!!!

Comment by Lisa Stork – September 14, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show; there’s so much that people can relate to in one or more ways on a daily basis. Definitely much better show than reality TV shows.

Hank and Matt… Gotta love them! :-)

Comment by bootsie – September 23, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post