Carson Daly Ends Last Call Run, Lands Full-Time Gig on Today Show

Get More: Cancellations

carson daly joins today showCarson Daly is trading in late nights for early mornings.

NBC’s company man is joining the Today show on a permanent basis, as host of the show’s fancy new social media space “The Orange Room.”

As a result, he will transition out of his duties as host of NBC’s Last Call, but will remain as an exec producer on the program (and will presumably have a hand in picking his successor). He will also continue to host The Voice.

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

“For over a decade now, NBC has allowed me to grow and delve further into live broadcasting and producing, and I am so grateful for these opportunities,” Daly said in a statement. “I’m thrilled to be joining the talented team at Today.”

Comments (32)

• I was wondering when he’d be announcing his departure from Last Run. It makes sense.

Comment by Esaul – September 12, 2013 05:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would take Daly over Seacrest any day. Last Call is a different kind of late night show, curious who will take that over.

Comment by ES – September 12, 2013 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See, I don’t get what the big hype against Seacrest is. He’s a lot more professional than other hosts out there. I’ve always admired his ethics.

Comment by Esaul – September 12, 2013 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re talking about the man who created the Keeping Up With The Kardashians. Yeah he’s got a lot of ethics.

Comment by Abc – September 12, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And despite how bad it is, a profit is a profit. People obviously watched it enough to get them popular.

Comment by Esaul – September 12, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, just like Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty make a profit. Still doesn’t mean their worth the video data storage space they consume.

Comment by Bob – September 12, 2013 07:40 AM PDT
          • Snuff films would probably make a profit today. That doesn’t make it right.

From what I’ve heard from people, Duck Dynasty doesn’t deserve to be lumped into those others, I don’t watch reality, so I don’t know, but I’m thinking of checking it out, because I’m intrigued by what I’ve heard about their religious angle.

Comment by TV Gord – September 12, 2013 08:01 AM PDT
          • Tobacco companies make a profit too. Just sayin.

Comment by Hot Pants – September 13, 2013 05:54 AM PDT
        • Ha!

Comment by Lisa – September 12, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed. People don’t like Seacrest, but he is really good at what he does. And for the naysayers regarding his involvement with producing the Kardashians…he’s a good businessman too. He knows what he’s doing and does it well.

Comment by Jen – September 12, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Anybody can create trash, and become a great businessman. But they have no ethics. McDonalds and Coca-Cola are the biggest food and drink companies in the world. But their “food” is horrible for you, and has zero nutritional value. Look at the tobacco industry. It says right on the box of cigarettes that this it’s poison, and it will kill you. But people willingly pay $15 for a pack of cigarettes, and smoke any.

Comment by Hot Pants – September 12, 2013 05:56 PM PDT
    • For me Daly does not have the personality to be a talk host, sorry, Seacrest makes it look effortless. I will say however, that Seacrest is starting to be over kill.

Comment by Mary – September 12, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Starting? The ship sailed years ago!

Comment by TV Gord – September 12, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does he need a successor? I didn’t even know Last Call was still on.

Comment by James – September 12, 2013 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d love to know if this is making any money for NBC. That would be the only reason it’s still on. I suspect in most markets it’s not even run after Late Night anymore.

Comment by Walter – September 12, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It isn’t in Detroit. I know that for a fact.

Comment by Jay – September 12, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Is there even any electricity in Detroit for TVs?

Comment by Jayjay – September 12, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You think Matt Lauer is getting nervous?

Comment by S Buts – September 12, 2013 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He should, today show needs to get younger. And Lauer has been on for way to long. But I’m not ready to let carson go of LA. I love listening to him on the radio and going to see the voice tapings

Comment by Lizzie – September 12, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting. Last year, NBC and Today announced that Ryan Seacrest was going to have a continuing presence on the morning show. So where does he fit in?

Comment by Megyn – September 12, 2013 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Saw that coming! He was also on GMA…Would have like to have had him land there. Today show just doesn’t do anything for me anymore :(

Comment by Karen M Konczyk – September 12, 2013 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, you’re saying he will essentially be the Chistina Milian of the Today Show, correct?

Comment by ktbanks – September 12, 2013 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah Christina Milian is really overpaid, and her “job” is about as pointless as can be.

Comment by Tuly – September 12, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Carson will be part of The Today Show full time. I will miss him as the host of Last Call.

Comment by Joey – September 12, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • poor mans ryan secrest, and so obnoxious as the voice host

Comment by Greg – September 12, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But what about TRL?

Comment by Brandy – September 12, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Talk about failing upwards.

Comment by David4 – September 12, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does Last Call need to continue on air is the question? ABC will continue to win in daytime so this means nothing to NBC morning show!

Comment by DavidSask – September 12, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The “Today Show” is trying to look like GMA. Little late to do that in the ratings race.

Comment by Rjrtist – September 12, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just saw Last Call for the first time tonight 9/28/13 and the first thing I did was google “how does Carson Daly still have a show” , and wow am I shocked to hear he will now be on Today. Really NBC? Just keep thinking this guy will will have some kind of “freshness” that will grab audiences? The millennialist don’t like him, give him a 10 yr hiatus, then he may have a chance…..

Comment by Ethan Itsame – September 27, 2013 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been watching and I haven’t seen Carson in several days. When he is there, the others won’t shut up or step on his lines. What’s going on?

Comment by Allie – October 18, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post