Carson Daly Ends Last Call Run, Lands Full-Time Gig on Today Show

carson daly joins today showCarson Daly is trading in late nights for early mornings.

NBC’s company man is joining the Today show on a permanent basis, as host of the show’s fancy new social media space “The Orange Room.”

As a result, he will transition out of his duties as host of NBC’s Last Call, but will remain as an exec producer on the program (and will presumably have a hand in picking his successor). He will also continue to host The Voice.

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

“For over a decade now, NBC has allowed me to grow and delve further into live broadcasting and producing, and I am so grateful for these opportunities,” Daly said in a statement. “I’m thrilled to be joining the talented team at Today.”

1. Esaul says:

I was wondering when he’d be announcing his departure from Last Run. It makes sense.

2. ES says:

I would take Daly over Seacrest any day. Last Call is a different kind of late night show, curious who will take that over.

• Esaul says:

See, I don’t get what the big hype against Seacrest is. He’s a lot more professional than other hosts out there. I’ve always admired his ethics.

• Abc says:

You’re talking about the man who created the Keeping Up With The Kardashians. Yeah he’s got a lot of ethics.

• Esaul says:

And despite how bad it is, a profit is a profit. People obviously watched it enough to get them popular.

• Bob says:

Yeah, just like Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty make a profit. Still doesn’t mean their worth the video data storage space they consume.

• TV Gord says:

Snuff films would probably make a profit today. That doesn’t make it right.

From what I’ve heard from people, Duck Dynasty doesn’t deserve to be lumped into those others, I don’t watch reality, so I don’t know, but I’m thinking of checking it out, because I’m intrigued by what I’ve heard about their religious angle.

• Hot Pants says:

Tobacco companies make a profit too. Just sayin.

• Jen says:

Agreed. People don’t like Seacrest, but he is really good at what he does. And for the naysayers regarding his involvement with producing the Kardashians…he’s a good businessman too. He knows what he’s doing and does it well.

• Hot Pants says:

Anybody can create trash, and become a great businessman. But they have no ethics. McDonalds and Coca-Cola are the biggest food and drink companies in the world. But their “food” is horrible for you, and has zero nutritional value. Look at the tobacco industry. It says right on the box of cigarettes that this it’s poison, and it will kill you. But people willingly pay $15 for a pack of cigarettes, and smoke any.

• Mary says:

For me Daly does not have the personality to be a talk host, sorry, Seacrest makes it look effortless. I will say however, that Seacrest is starting to be over kill.

3. James says:

Does he need a successor? I didn’t even know Last Call was still on.

4. S Buts says:

You think Matt Lauer is getting nervous?

• Lizzie says:

He should, today show needs to get younger. And Lauer has been on for way to long. But I’m not ready to let carson go of LA. I love listening to him on the radio and going to see the voice tapings

5. Megyn says:

Interesting. Last year, NBC and Today announced that Ryan Seacrest was going to have a continuing presence on the morning show. So where does he fit in?

6. ktbanks says:

So, you’re saying he will essentially be the Chistina Milian of the Today Show, correct?

7. Joey says:

Glad Carson will be part of The Today Show full time. I will miss him as the host of Last Call.

8. Greg says:

poor mans ryan secrest, and so obnoxious as the voice host

9. Brandy says:

But what about TRL?

10. David4 says:

Talk about failing upwards.

11. DavidSask says:

Why does Last Call need to continue on air is the question? ABC will continue to win in daytime so this means nothing to NBC morning show!

12. Rjrtist says:

The “Today Show” is trying to look like GMA. Little late to do that in the ratings race.

13. Ethan Itsame says:

Just saw Last Call for the first time tonight 9/28/13 and the first thing I did was google “how does Carson Daly still have a show” , and wow am I shocked to hear he will now be on Today. Really NBC? Just keep thinking this guy will will have some kind of “freshness” that will grab audiences? The millennialist don’t like him, give him a 10 yr hiatus, then he may have a chance…..

14. Allie says:

I’ve been watching and I haven’t seen Carson in several days. When he is there, the others won’t shut up or step on his lines. What’s going on?