Supernatural Season 9 Video: Sam Lies 'In God's Hands,' Death Waits for No One - Except Dean

Will Death actually help Sam Winchester live? We’re not sure, but a fresh promo for Supernatural‘s ninth season (premiering Oct. 8 at 9/8c) reveals that the Grim Reaper is, indeed, back.

Couple that with Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki’s teasers that Dean’s keeping a secret about why Sam survives his season-opening troubles, and we can’t help but wonder whether the elder brother has made a deal with the grimmest of reapers. Or is it perhaps a fallen angel who heals a hospitalized Sam (and maybe even Dean)?

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Supernatural and 44 Other Returning Faves

Also spotted in the trailer: A wandering, confused Castiel; the brothers swinging fists at each other and the return of Abaddon.

Press PLAY on the video below, then hit the comments with your theories on Death’s Season 9 appearance.

1. Death! Yay!
    I mean, leave Sam alone & whatnot, but Death is awesome!

2. Eve says:

I hate waiting…

3. Nikki H. says:

This season is going to rock! I can hardly wait!!! I love it when Death appears in an episode. They chose the perfect person to play him.

4. Bender says:

death loves his fried pickles

5. Crowley says:

Isn’t this just a rehash of In My Time of Dying?

• nickmaniac says:

We’ll only be able to tell once the episode airs, I guess. :)

• Crowley says:

In IMTOD Dean’s in a coma and dieing because of his injuries his confrontation with the yellow eyed demon. Sam tries to contact Dean’s soul and Dean tells him he’s screwed because its a reaper, and a reaper comes to Dean and tries to collect him. John makes a deal that saves Dean’s life.

According to this promo we have Sam in a coma and dieing from not completing the trials. It looks a lot like Dean somehow gets connected to Sam’s soul, conversing with Sam’s soul and Sam’s saying there is nothing to fight for. A reaper (Death himself no less) comes to Sam and tries to collect him. Dean makes a deal/does something or learns something to save Sam.

Sounds pretty similar to me.

• nickmaniac says:

Fair enough. :)

• Lisa McCann says:

And as long as the boy’s live and the show goes on who cares it’s supernatural land supernatural rules lol

• angel64 says:

Except that John sold his soul to Yellow Eyes and died. Why would Death want Dean’s soul?
          My feeling is that somehow Dean offered Death the chance to cash in on his expiration date earlier than what was intended,i.e. shortening his life span, in order to transfer some of his years to Sam in order to heal him. Transferring some of the energy from his soul. Death was always lecturing Dean about power of souls so it makes perfect sense to me that Dean would use some of the power of his own soul or lifeforce to heal Sam, much like Bobby did for Cas in season 6.

• @angel64, I’m thinking that Dean is DEFINITELY using “soul power” and transferring health to Sam.

My question is really WHO is the agent of the deal:
            1) Death seems obvious because they have a relationship but I’m not so sure Death wants Dean changing the natural order again. I could see Dean cheesing off Death.
            2) Dean, in the 5 min sneak peak, appears to be praying to God. What if he makes a deal with God? I have no idea what Dean could possibly offer God or why God would intervene but the doctor saying that Sam’s life is in God’s hands leads me here. I don’t think Dean prays to Death.
            3) The yellow-lit Sam/Dean fight. It’s possible Dean is dreamwalking with Sam (and trying to get him to fight for his life) but I have an odd theory: what if Dean is arguing with God (who has taken the form of Sam. The 5 min sneak peak had him asking about “hope”, that could be a question for God. Then again, would Dean actually haul off and punch God? I suppose he’s pissed enough but …IDK.

In any case, I love the idea of Dean using some of his life-force to fix Sam. I have no reason WHY I like this, I just do.

• ETA: rethinking the yellow-lit scene…I think it’s African Dreamroot with Dean trying to convince Sam to not give up (hence the punching). I think Ezekiel answers Dean’s prayer to God.

6. kate says:

I’m glad Death is back. love him, missed him last year.

7. Wilson says:

That is an awesome promo – I’m so excited for this season. I’m so glad Death is back. I can’t wait to see why Death is there – to help Sam or to try and reap him. It looks like there’s some great Sam and Dean moments – with Dean in Sam’s head maybe? I’m really intrigued to see how Sam heals, Jared Padalecki teased it as being really exciting in the interviews from Comic Con.

• Cheryl says:

I’m so excited too! The show is better then ever since Jeremy Carver took over He knows the heart of this show is the brothers and their love for each other and that its where the best of storytelling comes from and being a talented professional showrunner hes ultilized that potential in the best way. We saw that the second half of S8 afterCarver had reunited the boys once and for all (his words) When S8 episode 11 aired it was like a light was turned back on Jeremy Carver had given back Supernatural its heart and soul something missing since Season 4 and it looks like some great brotherly moments, Dean not leaving it in Gods hands who can blame him LOLand giving up on Sam connecting with Sams soul fighting and giving him a reason to live.
      I loved Sams bedside vigils with Dean but Yay finally Dean in a Sam bedside vigil

8. Kara says:

Sam, Dean, Death, Abaddon, Bobby. So much to look forward to! Can’t wait to see how Sam heals, and Dean’s secret and upcoming storyline. October feels so far away!

9. Jody says:

Nice to see Death again! The actor playing him does a great job plus I love his scenes with Jensen Ackles! Death and Dean seem to have a healthy respect for one another and I think beneath it all Death likes Dean and appreciates the fact that he always tries to do the right thing even when he’s messing with Death’s timetable!

• Hundley says:

I agree with you. I think Death has always liked Dean, and I like that sub-text in their encounters. I wished the show would take that an run. Unfortunately, it looks like they are giving Death to Sam this season. The writers always do a tit-for-tat, with Dean getting the short stick of the tat. Oh, well, that doesn’t lessen my excitement to see Julian Richings again. I love that they brought Death back!!! He is a character I’d like to see more of….and less of ***cough, Charlie, Garth, and Kevin, ***cough***.

10. keelee69 says:

How is this new or exciting or fresh? It’s Sam dying. Again. And Dean saving him. Again. And Dean being blamed on doing that. Again. By Sam. Again. Will this show ever change for better or still be a borefest of What’s Wrong With Sam This Time?

• DJ says:

No one is forcing you to watch the show keelee69 if that’s how you feel about it. There are many of us who *are* excited about it coming back and are at least willing to give it a chance before complaining about it.

• nickmaniac says:

Thank you, DJ. I don’t understand why people who are no longer fans (or worse, who CLAIM to be fans but only complain) would actually take time out of their busy lives to comment on shows that they don’t or no longer enjoy. Yes, you have a right to. Yes, it’s your prerogative. But… to what end? If it’s time for you to move on from the show, then please, by all means, do move on. :)

• sassykajun says:

Thank you, nickmaniac! Supernatural is still hands down one of the best shows on television and definitely one of the best on the CW (right up there with Vampire Diaries and its spinoff, The Originals. I don’t care if it’s season 9 and I don’t care if some people think this season’s opening storyline is simply a regurgitation. The promo had me squeeing out loud, and I am on the much latter half of the coveted 18-49 viewership. As someone else said, the heart of the show is and always has been about the brothers’ relationship, and I am glad to see this season getting back to that. If anyone doesn’t like that, then they are free to watch/do something else on Tuesday nights. As for me, I’ll be glued to my television and squeeing out loud!

• Wilson says:

Well said! I’m super excited for this season and will wait to see what happens before making any judgements.

• Cheryl says:

The biggest snore fest is fans complaining about things that are not true because it doesn’t fit what they want the show to be about.
      Jeremy Carver not only gave us back the close brotherly relationship long time MIA but he also gave us some of the best and original storytelling to date in Season 8 The Men of letters being one of them. Its where new storylines and new characters will come from in Season 9 which ties in with this show being about love of family and it being about the brothers their relatonship and their journey. Supernatural is the story of Sam and Dean

• Annie says:

What about the silent Majority who complained all summer long because they didnt like the fact that the brothers might be separated for longer than 30 seconds. Did you accuse them of only complaining about the show not going the way they want it too.

You can demonstrate the connection between the brothers without them being in the on scree together. If you asked me to pick an episode that I felt most demonstrated how well the brothers work as a team I’d say Unusual Suspects. An episode that had them separated but working as a team for most of it.

You mean kind of like Sam fans the entire first half of the season because they wanted Sam to have looked for Dean? It’s only okay for some fans to express their unhappiness when the show isn’t going the way they want it too?

As for the so-called brotherly relationship Sam himself in this clip says there is nothing left to fight for. Really Sam nothing?

• angel64 says:

Agree with you that the MOL was a great introduction. Disagree about Carver though. He tore Sam and Dean apart in the first half of season 8 for absolutely no good reason. I agree that SPN is supposed to be about the love of family and the brother’s relationship, so why did Carver go out of his way to destroy it? I thought season 8 was the very worst ever.
        But at least it looks like season 9 will be much better.

• Hundley says:

Agree with you about Carver. S8 was just awful in it’s storytelling, and I don’t like the direction Carver has decided to take — building an ensemble cast and focusing on support characters. I’d much prefer the focus get back to the brothers with them driving the mytharc and the one-offs reflecting their story. I don’t think that is going to happen this season. I’m not seeing much of a story for Dean and none at all for Sam. It appears that Cas will carry the mytharc. I’m hopeful that the season will be about the Winchesters, though.

• kate says:

I love how people assume to know the context and exactly what’s happening from a 20 second trailer.

• Drew says:

And why are they constantly fighting monsters and stuff?!

Oh yeah… because that’s what the show is about.

• angel64 says:

Wait and see. We don’t know if Sam is gonna be mad at Dean. It could very well be that whatever Dean does to save Sam will in some way hurt Dean and maybe Sam will just be upset for Dean getting hurt for saving him. It could be more hurt than anger. Just like when Dean sold his soul to save Sam. Sure Sam didn’t want to live with the knowledge that he was alive because his brother was dead and burning in Hell, but more than that, he was heartbroken over the prospect of losing Dean. This will probably be similar.
      What’s new and fresh might be, I’m hoping, is that Dean actually gets an important, meaty story arc this time that actually matters to the main plot of the season. Carver and Singer both said that in this video and since this is the most they’ve talked about Dean in a long time, it looks like it will actually happen.

• Hundley says:

Carver and Singer actually did speak Dean’s name, and that’s a step forward. What they said was that his “decisions” drive the mytharc, not that he had a mytharc. I’m okay with that, as long as he has ditched the apron and gets to be an action hero this year.

11. Melody Paris says:

So, tense…I LOVE IT!!!

12. cassie says:

oh winbros shippers you showing, for the rest may i remind you that things in the 1rst half of season 8 went as they should logically go since sam did’nt bother to look for dean when he was in purgatory adding that action to all the other cr** he lay on dean? & let’s not forget that he let martin attack dean, tie him in a radiator & left him there injured to go after benny. & suddenly in ep10 carver made a u turn out of nowhere & everything was magically fixed. brotherly bond went out of the window long time ago with all sam’s cr*** actions torwards dean. & what’s most annoying is that sam keeps treating dean like cr***, he continues to play nice only when he wants something & when he does’nt get it start bit***** or whining. like he did with the trials which he insisted to get & then started whinning. cherry on the cake the finale where he blamed dean that he did’nt trust him (seriously?) & throw all responsability for all his crappy desisions/actions to dean (again). some brotherly love you got there. dean though is the one who keep it going since he saved sam’s hive (again) throwing out of the window both closing the gates of hell (which he indended to do, to avenge his mom’s death) & stoping cas from doing something wrong again (which he did). & from what’s obvious from the promos for s9 dean will make another deal to save sam’s hive (because seems he gave up, again), who knows with what consequenses, & of course when sam finds out will start bit***** all over again. oh yeah very prototype we have not see any of it again, & fyi mol was’nt carver’s idea

• nickmaniac says:

watchu talkin’ bout, willis??

• lockley says:

So you’ve said at TWOP over and over again. Yawn,

• BigTimeFan says:

I think the point is Sam should never have decided not to look for Dean in the first place because it was totally out of character and all that fall out because of that should never have happened. So when Carver took over and returned the show back to how it should be in the second half of season 8 it was a good thing.

• angel64 says:

But Carver was the one who ruined it in the first place. He took over in the beginning of the season, not the second half, but then had to somehow try to fix the damage he did, to the brothers’ bond, to the canon of the show, etc.And to those who claim he restored the brothers’ bond, I ask, how? He made them basically act like douchebags and hate eachother for absolutely zero good reason. I am happy that that he brought them back together at the end. But for me there was still never any reasonable explanations for why Sam was so sure Dean was dead and didn’t even try to figure it out, why he seemed so angry with him when the Sam I know would have been overjoyed to find the brother he loved alive, why Dean made his douchy text move, etc.
        Maybe Carver learned from his rookie mistakes because the promos for this season look a hundred times better.

• BigTimeFan says:

Oh, I thought he took over during the second half =) I agree that Sam not looking for Dean was a huge mistake and way out of character and all the angst that happened because of that was not needed. But at this point I’ve just decided to forgive and forget season 8 and go into season 9 hoping it stays on track. I’m probably a lazy fan but I love Supernatural too much to stay mad long =) and I’m really looking forward to the next season.

13. cassie says:

oh winbros shippers you showing, for the rest may i remind you that things in the 1rst half of season 8 went as they should logically go since sam did’nt bother to look for dean when he was in purgatory adding that action to all the other cr** he lay on dean? & let’s not forget that he let martin attack dean, tie him in a radiator & left him there injured to go after benny. & suddenly in ep10 carver made a u turn out of nowhere & everything was magically fixed. brotherly bond went out of the window long time ago with all sam’s cr*** actions torwards dean. & what’s most annoying is that sam keeps treating dean like cr***, he plays nice only when he wants something & when he does’nt get it start bit***** or whining. like he did with the trials which he insisted to get & then started whinning. cherry on the cake the finale where he blamed dean that he did’nt trust him (seriously…) & throw all responsability for all his crappy desisions/actions to dean (again). some brotherly love you got there. dean is the one who keep going since he saved sam’s hive (again) throwing out of the window both closing the gates of hell (which he indended to do, to avenge his mom’s death) & stoping cas from doing something wrong again (which he did). & from what’s obvious from the promos for s9 dean will make another deal to save sam’s hive (because seems he gave up, again), who knows with what consequenses, & of course when sam finds out will start bit***** all over again. oh yeah very prototype we have not see any of it again, & fyi mol was’nt carver’s idea

14. Karen says:

This has got me so excitied. October 8 cannot get here soon enough. For the first time in years I don’t have a clue how this will play out and I could not be happier.

15. Carrie says:

Can’t wait!!

16. Drew says:

Excited to see this new season. Season 8 set up a pretty cool foundation for where the show could go and I’m looking forward to seeing it.

My theory? Dean will tie his life to Sam’s. As long as one of them is alive, both of them will be alive. If one dies, they both die. Therefore, no more season finales where one brother dies and then comes back in the season premiere. (though technically, Sam didn’t die in season 5 and Dean didn’t die in season 7)

• angel64 says:

I don’t think Dean would ever do anything that sentences his little brother to die if he dies. Dean has always been about sacrificing himself to save Sam. I think it would be hugely out of character for him to force Sam to have to die with him.

17. angel64 says:

For some fans who lament the fact that Sam and Dean have an unhealthy dependency on eachother well, that’s, that’s kinda the who core of SPN isn’t it? Sam and Dean’s relationship is not the normal sibling relationship and it was never intended to be. How could it, being they were the intended vessels of Michael and Lucifer, themselves the original dysfunctional siblings?
    I am one who does think that Dean has always been sidelined as far as importance and focus, however, it does look from these promos like Dean will indeed have as much of an important story arc, finally, as Sam and Cas, so I am optimistic about season 9. And I am happy to see they brought Alaina Huffman back as Abaddon! She is an awesome baddie.And so glad that Death is backI It’s been long overdue for such a great character.
    I don’t like that it seems like it will take a while for Cas to reunite with them. For me, he is so much more interesting when he is a part of Team Free Will. But all in all, these promos have made me look forward to the new season. It looks like Sam, Dean, and Cas will all have meaty story arcs. And it will also be interesting to see what happens with Crowley. Remember, he wasn’t all that nice as a human either. Remember his contempt for his own son?
    The only thing that bothers me is Kevin. I thought last season was the very worst and one of the few positives was how Osric Chau really grew and blossomed in the role, taking Kevin from being a frightened kid overwhelmed by what was happening to him, to accepting his fate as a prophet and even embracing it. I hope he continues in this character growth and is not just sitting around the bunker at the Winchesters beck and call.

• Drew says:

I was worried that Abaddon would get a new body after the last time we saw her. I’m glad that Alaina will be back.

I think it’s cool that Sam and Dean are building up a group of hunters that they’re training. It’s where they really need to go. Not only because this could eventually allow Jensen and Jared to take a break now and then (it’s either that or they leave entirely and the show ends), but because no hunters have been as skilled as the Winchesters. They should pass that along and bring in people who have abilities that can come in handy, like Kevin, Krissy Chambers, and others that they’ve met along the way. Build an army. Maybe Sam and Dean can eventually settle down a bit.

18. clara54 says:

SOooo tired of Death getting the upper hand on SAM! Enough already.

• angel64 says:

How has Death ever gotten the upper hand on Sam? Umm, he put a wall in his head to try to save him! And if you really meant to say Dean, then again I ask, how has Dean ever gotten the upper hand on Sam? Sam, for the most part, has always done pretty much whatever he wanted. Dean didn’t keep him from going back to Amelia, he made that decision on his own in fact, Dean encouraged him to go back to her.All Dean’s ever done is try to save him and that’s what it looks like here as well. Sorry if you really were referring to Death but again even with him, I’m not sure how he ever got an upper hand on Sam or wanted to.

• clara54 says:

Got it all twisted! was thinking about lucifer- not death. Death is cool. Still, tired of Sam ‘suffering’ so much. Can’t they just all get along? And bring back Bobby (the original)

19. I think my comment got eaten. My apologies if I double post.

It’s Tahmoh Penikett who is making the physical connection b/w Sam and Dean! He’s playing fallen angel Ezekiel! I’m so excited!!!

I hope this means that it is God and not Death that makes a deal with Dean. Death went though the whole effort to teach Dean about not screwing with the natural order. And here is Dean doing it again. I really want Death cheesed off at Dean (on a personal level) and I want a nice little conflict moment between Death and Dean.

I know, I know… and everyone wants a ponyl

And yes, I’m wildly speculating on .5s of data. I reserve the right to run around like a idjit and spaz about this.

20. BigTimeFan says:

I’m so excited for season 9 and to find out the secret it’s unbelievable. =) Even though someone said it’s presumptuous I’m going to lay out what I think’s going on in the sneak peek and promo. Ok, Dean takes Sam to hospital but the doctor says he can’t do anything and it’s in God’s hands. Cas rings and tells Dean he’s human so he can’t help. Dean goes to a church or the hospital chapel and prays to God for Sam. Angels overhear (because they hear prayers) and come to the hospital to whoop Dean because they think the Winchesters are responsible for them falling. Cue smashing windows and Dean getting dragged around. Dean convinces Ezekiel that they were trying to close up hell not heaven and Ezekiel decides to help Dean save Sam. Conventional healing won’t work so Ezekiel hooks Dean up to Sam’s mind so he can bring him out of a coma. In Sam’s head Death has come for Sam in person because the Winchesters are just so special. Sam decides he doesn’t want to live and is going to go with Death. Dean shows up and whoops Sam and tries to convince him to live. He fails but he still wants to save Sam. Bobby shows up. God is using his image to talk to Dean. God says he’s saved them many times before and he won’t give them another freebie. They make a deal and Sam lives. The end. The deal is the crucial part but I have no idea what it could be other than it must be epic from how excited Jared Padalecki is about it. Feel free to laugh, I’m probably completely wrong =)

• I like your spec. I think your close. Since last year we learned you could power spells with your soul, I’m thinking Dean powers up Sam somehow with his soul — and it causes some permanent damage to Dean (i.e. cuts down on his life expectancy or something).

• BigTimeFan says:

That sounds really cool. Why would Dean feel so guilty about that though? Robert Singer said it’s a whole new brand of guilt for him.

21. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and
    was curious what all is required to get setup?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?

I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% positive. Any suggestions
    or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

22. I’m going with dean feeds sam demon blood without his knowledge in order to keep him alive. New level of guilt, awful thing to do but also understandable knowing how much dean loves & protects Sam.

23. Play Time says:

My question is: in season 8, where da HECK was Kevins “Arc Angel”!? Chuck had one, right? So, shouldn’t Kevin have one also? IMJ

24. Retha Elliott says:

Maybe death gives his ring to Dean so he can save Sam. Do I remember it right? Iam one of your older fans (60) Who love Supernatural with a passion. You guys make sitting in a chair for a hour fun.