Starz's Outlander Adaptation Casts Its Claire

Outlander Casts Caitriona BalfeWe now have a Claire Randall for Outlander, the Starz original series being adapted by Battlestar Galactica‘s Ronald D. Moore from Diana Gabaldon’s series of international bestsellers.

RELATED | Game of Thrones Actor to Pull Double Duty in Starz’s Outlander

Irish actress Caitriona Balfe has landed the female lead, playing a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened.

When Claire is forced to marry Jamie Fraser (played by Sam Heughan), a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate affair is ignited that tears Claire’s heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

RELATED | Starz’s Black Sails Cast and Producers Promise Nudity, Sex

Balfe’s credits include the web series H+, the six-part film The Beauty Inside and a role in the 2013 thriller Now You See Me.

1. Carly says:

I am over the moon with the casting so far. I can’t wait to see her chemistry with Sam – that’s key, but if she has Diana’s approval, she certainly has mine!

2. courts says:

This is the one I’ve been waiting for. I’m excited for this.

3. Kia says:

I’m so looking forward to Tobias Menzies in this! Can’t wait <3

4. harolene says:

I cannot wait to see this! I have read the whole series and will love seeing it come to life! Can’t wait to see who they cast as Jamie!

5. harolene says:

Just saw where I had over looked the answer to that… yeah, dumb! LOL

6. SM says:

I am thrilled with all the casting choices so far!!

And a great big thank you TVLine for covering the casting news for the series! :-)

7. Alanna says:

Very, very excited for the selections for both Jamie and Claire! It’s amazing to think a book series I’ve loved and cherished for years is going to be on my screen next Spring. Ecstatic is an understatement. :)

8. Pati says:

I’m so happy with the casting so far, Sam is perfect and she is perfect never heard of the two before but based on their pictures I think Starz did an amazing job. I’m so excited for this show have been checking Diana’s twitter all day. It was supposed to be announced last night. 2014 can’t come soon enough

9. lariet50 says:

Oh my God, it’s the “Princess for Christmas” guy!

10. Fawn says:

If this Series is half as good as the books it’s going to be the most popular show ever!!! Great casting and thanks TVline for covering this news!!

11. Bran says:

Starz needs to get their **** together and get the ball rolling on DeKnight’s Incursion already.

12. Bonnie says:

OK. I’m fine with the casting but she may need to put on a few pounds. Way skinny. Claire has curves.

13. Was this ever part of the Outlander series? I thought it all started with Cross-stitch, and was a separate series of its own …… Anyway, I’m a celebrant, and have read every word, starting with Cross-Stitch. Would anyone like a romantic Jamie & Claire-type wedding in Tasmania? Sue Lee-Archer

14. Vanessa says:

Can’t we PLEASE get more teaser photos?!?! Really not fond of the one they’ve released of Sam as Jamie working in the fields – not a flattering shot of the fellow’s face. Would love to see anything more!!