Starz's Outlander Adaptation Casts Its Claire

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Outlander Casts Caitriona BalfeWe now have a Claire Randall for Outlander, the Starz original series being adapted by Battlestar Galactica‘s Ronald D. Moore from Diana Gabaldon’s series of international bestsellers.

RELATED | Game of Thrones Actor to Pull Double Duty in Starz’s Outlander

Irish actress Caitriona Balfe has landed the female lead, playing a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened.

When Claire is forced to marry Jamie Fraser (played by Sam Heughan), a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate affair is ignited that tears Claire’s heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

RELATED | Starz’s Black Sails Cast and Producers Promise Nudity, Sex

Balfe’s credits include the web series H+, the six-part film The Beauty Inside and a role in the 2013 thriller Now You See Me.

Comments (17)

• I am over the moon with the casting so far. I can’t wait to see her chemistry with Sam – that’s key, but if she has Diana’s approval, she certainly has mine!

Comment by Carly – September 11, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As long as they make Sam’s hair red, it’s perfect. Can’t wait.

Comment by JCK – September 11, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the one I’ve been waiting for. I’m excited for this.

Comment by courts – September 11, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so looking forward to Tobias Menzies in this! Can’t wait <3

Comment by Kia – September 11, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait to see this! I have read the whole series and will love seeing it come to life! Can’t wait to see who they cast as Jamie!

Comment by harolene – September 11, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just Google Sam Heughan. One entry even shows him with red hair.

Comment by JCK – September 11, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s been cast already. It’s Sam Heughan. You’ll find a link in this article.

Comment by Sara – September 11, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just saw where I had over looked the answer to that… yeah, dumb! LOL

Comment by harolene – September 11, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thrilled with all the casting choices so far!!

And a great big thank you TVLine for covering the casting news for the series! :-)

Comment by SM – September 11, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very, very excited for the selections for both Jamie and Claire! It’s amazing to think a book series I’ve loved and cherished for years is going to be on my screen next Spring. Ecstatic is an understatement. :)

Comment by Alanna – September 11, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy with the casting so far, Sam is perfect and she is perfect never heard of the two before but based on their pictures I think Starz did an amazing job. I’m so excited for this show have been checking Diana’s twitter all day. It was supposed to be announced last night. 2014 can’t come soon enough

Comment by Pati – September 11, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my God, it’s the “Princess for Christmas” guy!

Comment by lariet50 – September 11, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this Series is half as good as the books it’s going to be the most popular show ever!!! Great casting and thanks TVline for covering this news!!

Comment by Fawn – September 11, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Starz needs to get their **** together and get the ball rolling on DeKnight’s Incursion already.

Comment by Bran – September 11, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK. I’m fine with the casting but she may need to put on a few pounds. Way skinny. Claire has curves.

Comment by Bonnie – September 27, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was this ever part of the Outlander series? I thought it all started with Cross-stitch, and was a separate series of its own …… Anyway, I’m a celebrant, and have read every word, starting with Cross-Stitch. Would anyone like a romantic Jamie & Claire-type wedding in Tasmania? Sue Lee-Archer

Comment by Sue Lee-Archer – November 1, 2013 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t we PLEASE get more teaser photos?!?! Really not fond of the one they’ve released of Sam as Jamie working in the fields – not a flattering shot of the fellow’s face. Would love to see anything more!!

Comment by Vanessa – November 28, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post