New Shows, Big Questions: Is Blacklist's Secret Already Out? How Super Can S.H.I.E.L.D. Be? A Scandalous Hostages Hook-Up? And More!

As the new TV season draws near, there are questions you didn’t even know you had about the freshman class, which begins its march toward your living room Sept. 16.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on 45 Returning Faves

For example: Why is Sleepy Hollow‘s hero not the Ichabod Crane? Can just anyone enjoy Joss Whedon’s NCIS-battling Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Will Hostages play host to an improbable indiscretion? Can Brooklyn Nine-Nine “kill” without, you know, killing?

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

Here, TVLine asks and offers answers to 18 big questions about the new fall and midseason shows, including Super Fun Night‘s rebellious act, The Crazy Ones‘ Big Mac attack, The Tomorrow People‘s shared DNA with Fringe and Reign‘s “history lessening.” See what we’ve learned, then share in Comments any other questions you’d like us to get answered.

1. Cameron says:

… no, the FBI agent on The Blacklist is definitely his daughter. One gets the feeling that the producers thought no one would see that twist coming (even though, having seen the pilot, it is so staggeringly obvious) and now that people are calling them on how obvious it is, they’re backtracking and denying so that, when its “shockingly” revealed, they can say “GOTCHA!”

• Andy says:

Definitely. I was just going to say so. EP Jon Bokenkamp didn’t actually deny that she’s Red’s daughter. He just skirted around it.

• analog says:

I agree. Once I read the premise of that show I already assumed he was his daughter.

• KCC says:

How meh if she’s his daughter, I was thinking maybe he saw that she’s also psychotic and is using this opportunity to train her.

• Ally Oop says:

I for one think that would be too obvious. Perhaps she’s his niece or maybe his childhood best friend’s daughter or the daughter of someone who was the victim of a crime he always regretted…or she’s his daughter.

2. wordsmith says:

Why is the Trophy Wife entry formatted in ginormous font?

3. What is your BEEF with Super Fun Night? If you love Rebel Wilson and her accent so much stop tearing into the show before its even aired.

4. Lea says:

Regarding “Reign”, I’d like to know what the “broad strokes” are that the show gets right. That Mary is Scottish and that she marries Francis, who is at some point the King of France? I mean, I don’t expect a documentary, evidently, and “The Tudors” was also at times liberal with the historical facts, but come on!
    Mary was five when she came to France, Francis was fourteen when he ascended to the throne and sixteen when he died. Now, how the holy hell did they twist this to make this a TV series? Mary’s later years and subsequent two husbands certainly would have made a far more interesting topic for a TV series.
    Plus, the costumes and hair styles look atrociously historically inaccurate. I couldn’t even bear to watch the trailer past the 30-seconds-mark because I had to cringe from second-hand embarrassment.

• Cynthia says:

looks quite Toudourish to me. I hope she stays in France for 2 seasons (1° finale the king dies and she becomes queen of France, 2° finale Francis dies), than she would move to Scotland, but then what to do with the rest of the cast?

• Lea says:

The costumes on the picture here are okay, I guess, but in the trailer…
        Of course it is possible to spin the story to their advantage so they can produce a TV series, but this is so far away from the actual events, I will refrain from watching it, lest I constantly get a headache.
        Also, I kind of doubt this show survives past season 1…

5. M3rc Nate says:

Was not interested in “Hostages” at all because it is my belief that there’s no way in hell that would happen. A surgeon who has the President of the United States as a patient has no secret service assigned to her/her family in case of this or something similar? Cause this isnt that outlandish of a plot, the secret service would think of this FIRST if say Obama was going to need surgery. They would investigate the surgeon and staff like ohh..you know…THE LIFE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES DEPENDED ON IT, keep surveillance on them to make sure this or something similar doesn’t happen and Secret Service would be assigned to at LEAST her…………………………and now your telling me she who has a husband and kids who’s being held hostage and their lives threatened because of her job…is going to have feelings or be into that guy threatening to kill them? (and hitting them multiple times in the trailers)? WTF lol…way to make me not want to watch this show even more. Didn’t think it was possible. What a joke. This show is gonna get cancelled.

6. Laura Aliaga says:

Seriously, anyone who was offended by the Dads scene of the assistant dressing up as a Japanese schoolgirl need to lighten up. I haven’t heard the other minority jokes, but no one seems to have a problem when the target is an old (or middle-aged) white guy. It’s a sitcom. And I highly doubt it’s even a fraction as offensive as any Family Guy episode

• I thin the broader problem is not that the show is offensive, but more that the commercial makes it look like it’s not even funny.
      Offensive comedy can be forgiven.
      Unfunny comedy cannot.

• Dana says:

Wow great points, Laura. It’s outrageous that people get all up-in-arms about jokes targeting minorities but not jokes about middle-aged white guys, who have never suffered discrimination or harmful stereotyping and are, as a group, unchallenged as the most powerful and well-off demographic in the country. Won’t someone please defend these unfortunate people?? Your comparison to Family Guy is really important too. Maybe they and every other show on TV can put “Less Offensive Than Family Guy, Probably” on their marketing material.

7. brycealexander says:

I love this article! I love the normal questions you post, but maybe you could do this for sweeps and winter premieres in the future?!

8. Percysowner says:

Because the crime drama will regularly flash back to before its title character was paralyzed by a gunshot to the back, “We needed an actor
 who was able to take on both of those
roles,” says EP Teri Weinberg. “It was really about
 the best actor for the role” — ultimately, L.A. Lawyer Blair Underwood landed the lead — “but it
 required an actor to not only be on
 his feet in his previous life, but also
confined to the chair.”

Because Heaven Forbid that Ironside be disabled from the start!

• Eli says:

Yeah, it would’ve been so realistic for him to have been disabled from the start… cause wheelchair people join the Police all the time…

9. When will the return of SPOILER ALERT be showing on the web? Matt may have the answer to that.

10. analog says:

I don’t have high hopes for About A Boy. First, it’s David Walton, a show killer. Second, it’s another mid-season comedy from NBC (look at how many mid season comedies have they cancelled so far)

• The sad part is that the majority of his canceled comedies have been funny.

• Aprilcot says:

Agreed. I think David Walton is great (loved him in his arc on New Girl). My husband and I really enjoyed Perfect Couples before NBC gave it the axe. Poor Kyle Bornheimer…now there’s a show killer!

• Ally Oop says:

I feel bad for him. He’s like Kris Polaha (formerly of Miss Guided, Valentine, Life Unexpected, Ringer and Made In Jersey) who’s a decent actor yet continues to choose duds.

11. Sheila says:

Jeez, could they put less clothes on that Red Queen? She’s practically topless!

12. Kaylin says:

They should of Re casted the son on trophy wife – gosh he is hard to look at. That mouth .

13. AngieD says:

On the surface, ‘Resurrection’ seems to mimicing USA Networks The 4400! So, the idea is certainly not new.

• Delirious says:

I surely hope so… Because this would’ve been the 3rd time I asked about it being about the kid, or more cases. Luckily, that’s answered now, although I still wonder – is this just drama and nothing else (as in, not getting into “why/how they return”), drama with an underlying scifi/supernatural subtheme, scifi/supernatural drama, or what?

• tara17 says:

Came here to say this. I loved The 4400, I still think about it so I’ll check this show out.

• roderk says:

see les revenants (The Returned) or in the flesh

14. roderk says:

Resurrection is a seroius mockbuster from a french TV series.
    for The tomorrow people, Robbie Amell is too old for playing his character.

15. prish says:

The Francis wrinkle might have been true, why not.