Emmys

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

Emmy-Guest-Actress-Drama-Series.jpgThe nominees for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series have some of the classiest pedigrees in all of the 2013 Emmy races. Consider these stats:

* The Americans‘ Margo Martindale took home the 2011 trophy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for Justified.

* The Newsroom‘s Jane Fonda won the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or a Special in 1984 (for The Dollmaker), to go along with her seven Oscar nods (including two wins).

* Game of Thrones‘ Diana Rigg won the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Special in 1997 (for Rebecca) — in addition to snagging four other prior nominations.

* Shameless‘ Joan Cusack has two prior Emmy nominations (and two Oscar nominations to bookend ‘em).

* And while The Good Wife‘s Carrie Preston and Mad Men‘s Linda Cardellini are first-timers at the Emmy dance, the former’s 2010 SAG nomination (as part of True Blood‘s ensemble cast) and the latter’s 2013 Independent Spirit Award nod (as Best Female Lead in Return) and 2006 SAG Award nomination aren’t too shabby either.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine actors when the Emmys are handed out? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 20, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Tomorrow, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor. And to stay up to speed on all our Emmy polls, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Joey says:

I would still vote for Diana Rigg even if I wasn’t horribly let down by the fact that Michelle Fairley didn’t get a supporting actress nomination.

Still, Margo was fantastic on The Americans.

• person says:

I feel like Game of Thrones should have its own acting awards. Michelle Fairley, Natalie Dormer, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, and Charles Dance all deserved nominations in addition to Peter Dinklage, Emilia Clarke, and Diana Rigg.

Still have to go with Carrie Preston for this though. She’s just that amazing.

2. Whatever says:

Diana Rigg’s razor sharp wit provided some of the best dialogue of the season on GoT.
    Margo Martindale was fantastic on the Americans so were Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys.
    They should of been nominated too.

3. Ron says:

Though I usually disagree with the rankings I see after I place my vote, I’m just glad to have these polls back after a 3 week hiatus, Slezak.

4. Kate says:

I loved Diana Rigg in Game of Thrones, but I have to go with Carrie Preston. She is fantastic in The Good Wife.

5. sccates says:

Carrie Preston’s Elsbeth is such a joyful creation that she stands out in every scene she’s in, which is some feat in this talented cast!

• liz says:

Agreed! And TGW has such a ridiculously talented cast (regular, recurring, guest) and every episode is so fantastic – its great to see Carrie’s work get recognized.

6. ladyluck527 says:

Carrie Preston!!!

7. Lisa says:

I LOVE Preston, Rigg, Martindale, Fonda and even Cardellini but Cusack breaks my heart as Sheila

8. Queerbec says:

Doesn’t this award get given out this Saturday at the Emmy technical awards?

9. DreamRose311 says:

Toughest. Category. Wow.

10. Denise says:

I so wish the Emmy’s would wake up and have two categories, one for cable tv and one for network tv…I realize it would mean cutting some of the filler categories from the broadcast, but I have no interesting watching when it only features cable shows that I rarely watch. Plus, it’s an unfair contest to compare what an actor can do on cable vs. network.

11. Tania says:

While I like the actresses on this list, my vote goes to Carrie Preston. I love her portrayal of Elsbeth Tascioni.

12. Olive says:

I just realized Cardllini is from Freaks and Geeks. I feel old.

13. erin says:

So torn between Joan and Jane. If it wasn’t for last week’s Newsroom I would’ve said Joan Cusack for sure – Sheila is just so wonderfully insane – but Leona’s whole Daniel Craig speech made me love her character so much more.

14. Vinicius says:

Jane Fonda rules the world, but Margo Martindale just gave an spetacular performance on The Americans (such an underrated show by the Emmys), so I’ll have to vote for her.

15. Aprilcot says:

They’re all amazing…I ultimately voted for Jane Fonda, but Dianna Rigg was a close second.

16. Bob says:

Diana Rigg. Not only for her work on GoT, but also her guest appearance in the Doctor Who Season 7 episode “The Crimson Horror”, playing opposite her daughter, Rachael Stirling.

17. ScorpionGlow says:

Margo Martindale or Carrie Preston.

18. Carrie Preston hands down.
    Elsbeth Tascioni is a heck of a role

19. JeniLee says:

Can anyone explain how Joan is still considered guest actress even though she has been in almost every episode since the show started!?

20. Loriannliz says:

Carrie Preston–all the way–I have always loved her Elsbeth Tascioni–way back when she was Peter’s lawyer–she deserves to be recognized!!!

21. Jaime says:

I love GOT’s Diana Rigg as the sharp-tongued Lady Olenna, but it pales in comparison to Carrie Preston’s “method-to-her-madness” performance as Elsbeth on TGW. But who knows, maybe Fonda can beat both. I’m rooting for Preston.

22. R@DI says:

Gillian Anderson, Hannibal !