Hot Video: Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson Play True Detective for HBO

HBO on Sunday night debuted the first trailer for True Detective, its new eight-episode drama series premiering in January 2014 and starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.

Billed as an elevated narrative with multiple perspectives and time frames, the show centers on two detectives, Rust Cohle (McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Harrelson), whose lives collide during a 17-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana, with current-day testimony from each framing flashbacks to the investigation.

RELATED | True Blood End Date Set, Season 7 Will Be Sookie’s Swan Song

Among the other cast, Michelle Monaghan (Mission: Impossible) will play Martin’s wife, Maggie.

RELATED | HBO Greenlights Sci-Fi Pilot Westworld From J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan

Each season of True Detective (should it live beyond Season 1) will feature a new mystery and a different cast, somewhat akin to American Horror Story. Check out the trailer and tell us if you’ll be tuning in.

Comments (14)

• I’ll absolutely be checking it out. I love that more shows are starting to go towards shorter seasons. I also like the fact that this show will feature a new mystery/cast every season (provided it makes it past season 1).

Comment by Michael Black – September 8, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As long as they don’t make the same mistakes that affected the first two seasons of “The Killing”…

Comment by SAM – September 9, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is gonna be huge. That trailer was one of the best ive ever seen

Comment by ggny – September 8, 2013 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh daaayum. A cop thriller/mystery drama on HBO, and a shirtless Matthew McConaughey? I’m sold. Count me in.

Comment by Zoe – September 8, 2013 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this looks amazing!!

Comment by Danielle Lowry – September 9, 2013 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been hearing about this one for a while. The trailer looks great, and up to expectations, so I’m in.

Comment by Maryann – September 9, 2013 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for this! I love the anthology style of AHS so this is welcome news.

Comment by Aprilcot26 – September 9, 2013 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for EDtv 2.0. Oh we’ll, I’ll probably watch anyway.

Comment by Ashley – September 9, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Matthew McConaughey slowly morphing into Benedict Cumberbatch or is it just me??

Comment by Moriarty's pocket protector – September 9, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am definitely in for this one! I hope it makes it past season 1. I really like the idea of having big names do quality TV shows, it would be interesting to see if they could continue the trend in following seasons. Cable networks are doing it right with the shorter seasons with jam packed awesome episodes.

Comment by Christina Sherwood – September 9, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But that is an unsustainable business model. With no after market for shows (ie Syndication), how long can they keep it up? If they want to switch casts, it will keep production costs low enough to sustain multiple years.

But, the peaks and valleys will come into play. Will fans be able to move on from “good” years if the cast doesn’t return? Even worse, will a “bad” year drive away these fans never to return? This model is fraught with peril.

Comment by Patrick – September 9, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yet people are making huge profits off it while you sit on some tv site armchair quarterbacking. I’d say they win. I’d also wager that you don’t know jack about business models either.

Comment by ajintexas – September 9, 2013 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this promo I think it’s going to be a hit

Comment by Sam – October 21, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post