Hot Video: Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson Play True Detective for HBO

HBO on Sunday night debuted the first trailer for True Detective, its new eight-episode drama series premiering in January 2014 and starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.

Billed as an elevated narrative with multiple perspectives and time frames, the show centers on two detectives, Rust Cohle (McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Harrelson), whose lives collide during a 17-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana, with current-day testimony from each framing flashbacks to the investigation.

RELATED | True Blood End Date Set, Season 7 Will Be Sookie’s Swan Song

Among the other cast, Michelle Monaghan (Mission: Impossible) will play Martin’s wife, Maggie.

RELATED | HBO Greenlights Sci-Fi Pilot Westworld From J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan

Each season of True Detective (should it live beyond Season 1) will feature a new mystery and a different cast, somewhat akin to American Horror Story. Check out the trailer and tell us if you’ll be tuning in.

1. I’ll absolutely be checking it out. I love that more shows are starting to go towards shorter seasons. I also like the fact that this show will feature a new mystery/cast every season (provided it makes it past season 1).

2. ggny says:

This show is gonna be huge. That trailer was one of the best ive ever seen

3. Zoe says:

Oh daaayum. A cop thriller/mystery drama on HBO, and a shirtless Matthew McConaughey? I’m sold. Count me in.

4. Maryann says:

I have been hearing about this one for a while. The trailer looks great, and up to expectations, so I’m in.

5. Aprilcot26 says:

So excited for this! I love the anthology style of AHS so this is welcome news.

6. Ashley says:

I was hoping for EDtv 2.0. Oh we’ll, I’ll probably watch anyway.

7. Moriarty's pocket protector says:

Is Matthew McConaughey slowly morphing into Benedict Cumberbatch or is it just me??

8. I am definitely in for this one! I hope it makes it past season 1. I really like the idea of having big names do quality TV shows, it would be interesting to see if they could continue the trend in following seasons. Cable networks are doing it right with the shorter seasons with jam packed awesome episodes.

• Patrick says:

But that is an unsustainable business model. With no after market for shows (ie Syndication), how long can they keep it up? If they want to switch casts, it will keep production costs low enough to sustain multiple years.

But, the peaks and valleys will come into play. Will fans be able to move on from “good” years if the cast doesn’t return? Even worse, will a “bad” year drive away these fans never to return? This model is fraught with peril.

• ajintexas says:

Yet people are making huge profits off it while you sit on some tv site armchair quarterbacking. I’d say they win. I’d also wager that you don’t know jack about business models either.

9. Sam says:

I love this promo I think it’s going to be a hit